Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: FISH NOTES  (Read 76275 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:FISH NOTES
« Reply #60 on: January 21, 2007, 07:55:42 AM »

DR LAURA - your headlines are intense.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Miss Karen

« Reply #61 on: January 21, 2007, 08:02:54 AM »

Okay, if no one else will bite (no pun intended) I'll post my own answers and then flit off like DR Elmo:
1. Popcorn shrimp, Fried Catfish
2. Goldfish, Algae Eater
3. Whale
4. Benjamin's story about his grandfather
5. The Incredible Mr. Limpet (when I was a kid)
6. One Fish, Two Fish and The Old Man and the Sea
7. Finding Nemo, A Fish Called Wanda, and The Old Man and the Sea
8. Hmm, I asked it and I don't have one -- how about card game?  Go Fish!

Done my part to get us to page 7 -- time to flit.  Happy Sunday everybody!

Ginny

« Reply #62 on: January 21, 2007, 08:06:32 AM »

Pecan waffles were delicious!  DH Richard is now outside, cautiously shoveling our driveway.

RE smoking:  Both of my parents smoked (my mother quit 35 years ago) and I'm convinced it contributed significantly to my father's mid-60's death of heart disease.  Also, to the fact that my sister and I have vulnerable respiratory systems - we don't just get colds, we get bronchitis and sometimes even pneumonia.

I have never smoked.  When doing a lot of theatre years ago I was always afraid I'd get a part that called for it and would have to have someone teach me.  Fortunately, Lucy and The Mute were not smokers  ;)
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #63 on: January 21, 2007, 08:07:25 AM »

I like popcorn shrimp, too, DR KAREN.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

FJL

« Reply #64 on: January 21, 2007, 08:15:57 AM »

Wow, thanks for that juicy Bette-Joan info, MattH.

FJL

« Reply #65 on: January 21, 2007, 08:17:56 AM »

PARENTAL ADVISORY WARNING

What's that exchange from SUGAR BABIES:

Man to concession salesman:  Do you have popcorn balls?

Concession salesman:  No, i've always walked this way.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2007, 08:19:11 AM by FJL »

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #66 on: January 21, 2007, 08:23:13 AM »

Today, I am bunkered down, awaiting the Colts game at 6, tormenting myself with all the what-ifs and possibilities. A win puts them in the Super Bowl, but they are playing a team that has crushed their dreams many times before.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #67 on: January 21, 2007, 08:25:18 AM »

Today, I am bunkered down, awaiting the Colts game at 6, tormenting myself with all the what-ifs and possibilities. A win puts them in the Super Bowl, but they are playing a team that has crushed their dreams many times before.

And if the COlts win (as many predict they will do), whom do you want to see them play in the Super Bowl?
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #68 on: January 21, 2007, 08:30:56 AM »

Wow, thanks for that juicy Bette-Joan info, MattH.

There's SO much more. There's a great book available called BETTE AND JOAN: THE DIVINE FEUD by Shaun Considine that takes the resentments all the way back to Bette arriving in Hollywood after Joan was already a big star. Among other things I remembered:

MILDRED PIERCE, which Joan won her only Oscar for, was offered to Bette first, and she turned it down in order to make THE CORN IS GREEN (which she didn't even garner an Oscar nomination for).

The poisonous atmosphere on the set of HUSH HUSH SWEET CHARLOTTE is gleefully recounted with Bette doing her utmost to get Joan to quit the movie. By this time, she couldn't stand her and didn't even try to mask her loathing. Also, if Joan had lasted, she was going to get top billing in SWEET CHARLOTTE rather than Bette (part of the orgiinal deal, and Bette would rather have died than ceded top billing to Joan.)

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #69 on: January 21, 2007, 08:31:55 AM »

The Bears, Matt. Where I grew up, everyone was Bears fans, most still are, including most of my family. But I was always loyal to my state, so when a team moved to Indiana, I switched over. Bears-Colts would be unbelievable. But the New Orleans Saints are a great story, so that would be cool too.

As long as the Colts make it, my sanity will be preserved.

Matt H.

« Reply #70 on: January 21, 2007, 08:32:52 AM »

Well, I have some things to tidy up downstairs before I start preparing lunch and then getting laundry in the washer.

WBBL.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #71 on: January 21, 2007, 08:35:46 AM »

One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish. A great book.

What are people's top Seuss books?

For me:
1. Did I Ever Tell You Ducky, How Lucky You Are?
2. One Fish...
3. And to Think That I Saw it On Mulberry Street
4. The Lorax
5. Mr. Brown Can Moo, Can You?

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #72 on: January 21, 2007, 08:36:32 AM »

Least fave: Marvin K. Mooney Will You Please Go Now?

I always felt bad for Marvin. What did he do wrong?

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #73 on: January 21, 2007, 08:41:31 AM »

DR EDISAURUS have you seen a Dock-you-mint-y titled "White Thunder?"

No---thanks for posting that, JRand! It sounds fascinating! I will be sure to check it out!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #74 on: January 21, 2007, 08:43:12 AM »

Don't know if it's true, but this was kind of funny and was in the trivia for HUSH HUSH on imdb...

Joan Crawford took sick and was hospitalized as filming began (see above) so scenes were shot around her, but when it became evident that she would have to be replaced, her role was offered to Katharine Hepburn and Vivien Leigh. Hepburn didn't return the studio's call, while Leigh declined, saying, "No, thank you. I can just about stand looking at Joan Crawford's face at six o'clock in the morning, but not Bette Davis."

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #75 on: January 21, 2007, 08:51:05 AM »

Ginny-Enjoy your day at home with DHRichard, glad he doesn't have to drive anywhere.

Did you try the saline?  It helped Keith last year.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2007, 08:51:47 AM by Jane »

Edisaurus

« Reply #76 on: January 21, 2007, 08:59:26 AM »

Do you smoke?

Never!

Have you quit?

Didn't have to, but if I had smoked, I would never have found the will power. I feel bad for people with a nicotine addiction who have trouble kicking their habit.

What do you think of smoking being banned?

I am very allergic to smoke, it makes me sneeze and my head clog up and I have trouble breathing, even when I'm near people with smoke-saturated clothing, so I benefit from a smoking ban. The Wetlands Bar in NY used to have a smoking bar downstairs---that seemed like a pretty good solution. Outdoor cafes here allow smoking, but somehow I always am downwind and trying to have breakfast with cigarette smoke blowing in my face. Not very appetizing. But worse yet is when there's a huge group of people huddled around a door smoking and you have to walk through it an then you smell like smoke for hours. Hack, hack!

I don't blame smokers for our bad air quality---it's years of bad policy by our government regarding factories and the auto industry and our desire to drive our big, polluting cars. The smoke in the face is just what drives me over the edge of my tolerance level, which has already been compromised by the other factors. I appreciate smokers that take other people's breathing issues into consideration. I know there must be smokers on the list and I hope I haven't offended anyone!
« Last Edit: January 21, 2007, 09:08:40 AM by Edisaurus »
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #77 on: January 21, 2007, 09:04:36 AM »

BK:
On the Wonderful Guy Cd (A compliation of Guy Haines' Greatest Hits) there is a song called On Christmas Day (Best Guess for the titlle) Where is it from? Who wrote it? What is the correct title of the song?

It's called The Gift and is by Adryan Russ and Brad Ellis - it can also be found on the CD I produced for Miss Russ entitled Everyone Has A Story.

Edisaurus

« Reply #78 on: January 21, 2007, 09:07:47 AM »

1. What's your favorite fish to eat (and yes, you chefs can include how you like it prepared, and yes that includes shell fish if you like)?

Lobster. Just had one near Boston...it had been years. Yumm!
2.  What's your favorite fish as a pet?

The goldfish with the gigantic head in the pond at work. He's obviously the smartest one there. He likes to nibble on my fingers.

3.  What's your favorite fish in a lake, river or ocean?

Dolphins...I love to watch them in the morning leaping in the sun.

4.  What's your favorite fish story (and that includes the one that got away)?

My brother and I used to fish on the coast of the Cheapeake Bay/Susquehanna River. No story, just good times, although the water was too brackish for us to eat the fish so we would throw them back.

5.  What's your favorite movie about a fish?

Big Fish.

6.  What's your favorite book about a fish?

One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish.

7.  What's your favorite movie about a fish?

I'm floundering around, trying to think of another fish movie!

8.  What's your favorite song about a fish?

Salmon Falls by Harry Nilsson

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #79 on: January 21, 2007, 09:07:49 AM »

I like the film "Seconds". I remember watching it with my father one night probably 20 years ago when he was still living at home, and even though it was extremely late, we had to stay up to see how it ended. Good, and disturbing!

BK, why do you consider this film a "guilty pleasure"?

Because for years it was considered a terrible film by just about everyone.  I saw it at a sneak preview and they actually boo'd when Rock Hudson's name came on and by the end of the film there were only a handful of us left.  I loved it, but, I was pretty much alone in that assessment - critics panned it and it was a huge flop.  I suppose I can take it out of the guilty pleasure hole, because in the intervening years people have come to see its greatness, in the same way they've "discovered" Marnie and The Swimmer, two other films I considered guilty pleasures.

Jane

« Reply #80 on: January 21, 2007, 09:09:21 AM »

Second hand smoke hurts my lungs and makes me sick so I’m very much in favor of smoking bans in buildings & just outside the entrance.  I hate having to walk past a crowd of smokers to get inside a building.

I briefly smoked when I was 12, thanks to the wonderful influence of my sister.  Fortunately, very quickly, I realized an addiction to something you have to hide isn’t a good thing.  I also thought the other kids looked stupid smoking, so I quit.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #81 on: January 21, 2007, 09:11:48 AM »

Sounds like MR BK's show went well....screaming kids and CD sales!  Who could ask for anything more?  Get that show to another theatre, folks!  Will said photographer's pictures be on the WWW anywhere?  Was the CD sung by the kids in the show?

The CD is sung by the writers of the songs (and is played by their band).  When we're a little further along, the vocals will be removed and our cast will begin doing it - but for this first go-round, they lip-synch.  I'm sure they'll put photos on their website - www.thepartyanimalslive.com

And the injured actor did great - you'd never know he'd had the mishap, and the only thing he didn't do was his back flip.

MBarnum

« Reply #82 on: January 21, 2007, 09:14:55 AM »

I smoked for many years beginning at age 18, but quite about 10 years ago. I have fallen of the wagon a few times in the last 6 years but have no desire to smoke any longer.

Being around smoke never used to bother me but as my allergies seem to get worse as I get older I am finding smoke to be more irritating to my sinuses and it seems to make my skin break out.

Jane

« Reply #83 on: January 21, 2007, 09:16:08 AM »

Edisauris I hope leaf burning is illegal where you live.  There is a rumor by next season they will finally be illegal here.  Even so we still need controlled fires to clear the debris in order to prevent unwanted fires.  

MBarnum

« Reply #84 on: January 21, 2007, 09:16:38 AM »

Salmon and Red Snapper

Finding Nemo and Viking Women and the Sea Serpent

I don't believe I have ever read a book about a fish.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #85 on: January 21, 2007, 09:17:05 AM »

Today is the day we hear DR SANDRA's story about Her Brother and the Big Can!

I only know the story of The Randy Vicar and The Big Can - it's a corker.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #86 on: January 21, 2007, 09:19:08 AM »

The only time I have ever had a cigarette in my mouth was when I did Forget-Me-Not Lane at the Mark Taper Forum - no "herbal" stage cigarettes in those days, so for three months I pretended to smoke.  The good part was that I was playing a fifteen year old, so I didn't inhale, which was funny and worked for the character.

MusicGuy

• ...at an audition to accompany Guy Haines...
« Reply #87 on: January 21, 2007, 09:23:45 AM »

Good morning dear Esteemed, non-smoking and guapo BK -- you Party Animal!

Glad everything went well yesterday, aside from sound.  Don't you find it maddening that something that really should be non-complicated (like just some sound volume reinforcement)  can turn into such a tsimis??  And why so many sound engineers are so incompetent??

Anyway, it sure sounds like a unique type of show and format.  It would have been fun to see...........break a leg today (but not on the trampoline!).  

Do we get to see any pictures of the cast kids??

MusicGuy

• ...at an audition to accompany Guy Haines...
« Reply #88 on: January 21, 2007, 09:25:33 AM »

I shall return a little later and join back in...........

and so, ta ta for now.  :)

FJL

« Reply #89 on: January 21, 2007, 09:30:48 AM »

Movies have a chance to be rediscovered because of video; too bad flop plays rarely get another chance unless the author goes on to greater fame.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14   Go Up