Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: ELLIPSES  (Read 61098 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
ELLIPSES
« on: January 22, 2007, 12:27:05 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were elliptical and filled with ellipses, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - they're trying to figure out what an ellipses is and will not come home until they understand the concept.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 12:20:59 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:ELLIPSES
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2007, 12:27:26 AM »

And the word of the day is: ERADICATE!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2007, 12:28:50 AM »

And a very happy haineshisway.com birthday cheer to occasional dear reader Elan!

Adriana Patti

• The best is yet to come!
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2007, 12:30:53 AM »

those were very entertaining notes....

You will have my best and biggest vibes all day long!

Time to crawl into bed
"If we did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves."
-Thomas Edison

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2007, 12:45:20 AM »

A short history of the ellipsis:

In 1892, a man named Jeremiah Ellipsis was writing a letter to his beloved wife, Minerva Ellipsis.  He suddenly had the urge to eat a salami sandwich on a baguette, and so he stopped writing - but his pen inadvertantly dripped whilst he was putting it down, causing three dots to appear after the final work he'd written in the following sentence - "I suddenly have the urge to eat a salami sandwich on a baguette, so keep your pantaloons on whilst I put my pen down and make the sandwich"   After the word "sandwich" the ink dots looked like this  "sandwich..." and Jeremiah looked at it and thought, "I like the way that looks - I like that I left that thought without really finishing it, and later I can come back to it.  I think I'll call it the ellipsis, after my very own self."  And the rest... history.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2007, 12:54:43 AM »

Well, no one in the jernt but the little ol' winemaker me.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2007, 01:29:36 AM »

Happy Birthday to former DR Elan...wherever you are!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2007, 01:41:30 AM »

Topic of the Day:  "Waste not, want not."

What the hell does that mean?  I just don't get it! :-\
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2007, 02:37:30 AM »

TOD: My ex-mother-in-law (my Outlaw) used to tell her children when they were young: "You're old enough for your wants not to hurt you". I thought this was a stupid saying, and awkwardly phrased.
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2007, 02:39:01 AM »

When someone said something that bugged me, my mother would always say "Consider the source", as if that would make it all OK if I just did that.
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2007, 02:42:54 AM »

My mother-in-law was always full of quaint expressions, or "local colloquialisms". One that stuck with me was: "He was grinning like a mule eating briars". I was never quite sure what that meant but it struck me as amusing.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2007, 04:54:02 AM »

Good vibes for MR BK today....and for a Doris Day movie.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2007, 04:55:17 AM »

Happy Birthday, DR ELAN.

Nice home and hearth photos, DR GEORGE.

I was very keyed up after the game as well, DR RODZINSKI, and I really don't even watch football regularly.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2007, 04:56:24 AM »

Hold her, Newt, she's headed for the rhubarb.

A stitch in time saves nine.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2007, 05:10:05 AM »

"That salami sandwich went straight to my liver."
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2007, 05:41:08 AM »

Good Morning!

WOW!  This makes four days in a row that I've gotten up before 9:00!  (Well... 10:00 even... 11:00.. 11:30...)  In any case...  -No wonder it's so cold in NYC right now.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2007, 05:44:30 AM »

As for the Topic of the Day...

"It's a piece of cake."

"Easy as pie."

-And I had a wonderfully daffy French teacher in high school who would always get her American colloquialisms mixed up and transposed, so... She would usually end up saying:

"It's a piece of pie!"  and "Easy as cake!"

Consequently, there are times when I have to think back to what the correct bakery item is at the end of the phrase.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2007, 05:53:17 AM »

DR Rodzinski - I know there are a couple of "easy" ways to get into Equity, I'm just wondering who will cover the initiation fee and dues once the winner starts rehearsals.  -If the winner is not already a member of Equity.

However...

Judging from the final 12 picked, it does seem that most of them have had some experience on a stage before.  There's no one truly "green" left.  I mean it would have been nice if the jock would have made it through to the finals, but I also sense that the producers had an inkling that he would most likely become a home audience favorite.  They had to pick 12 that THEY would like to callback again.. and again.. and again.  Thus limiting "audience error".  Hopefully.
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2007, 05:56:38 AM »

Monday morning greetings!  It's my day off and I have some interesting plans for this evening.  A friend who's on the board of The Human Race Theatre Company has me and several other women to see

The Ambition Bird

It's a musical about the poet Anne Sexton being produced as part of their Musical Theatre Workshop program.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2007, 05:58:20 AM »

OH!  I meant to mention this the other night...

The first encore that Kristin Chenoweth did was "Glitter and Be Gay" from Candide.  When she came out for her second and final encore ("What Makes Me Love Him"), she started plunking a few notes on the piano...  "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH"...  "See, I can do it better."  -Or some remark like that.  She was singing a high E-flat - which is the high note in "Glitter".  -She had sort of flubbed it during the encore.  So...

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH"

and again...

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH"

-And she was singing that while sitting next to Andrew Lippa on the piano bench.  -Andrew was covering his ears..

Someone in the audience then yelled, "Encore!", so...

"AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH"

*And, DR JRand, I guess that would have been the funniest bit from the concert.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jennifer

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2007, 05:59:25 AM »

RE: Grease You're the one that i want.

Yesterday night BK wrote (re: Juliana):

But, this could be Juliana's big break, and I suspect it's already in the bag and that she knows it.

I will agree that she has a great shot. But there are a few ways she could not win.

1) she was not featured at all until last night's show (where she actually was featured a lot).  A lot of times they let you follow someone's story throughout the auditions.  Although none of the ones they followed closely actually made it (a few were cut at the very end).

2) It's america that is voting. Obviously the 3 judges can give their opinions. And usually the voting will reflect what they say. But america sometimes decides to vote the underdog.

3) If they bring in new people (like it was hinted at this week).

BTW, DR Jose, you commented about the panel (marilu henner...).  I just think it was stupid for them to tell us they were the panel, show them to use, but never let us hear their comments.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2007, 06:01:04 AM »

And now I shall finish getting ready to head down to Ripley-Grier (again)...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Jennifer

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2007, 06:02:26 AM »

RE: the colts/patriots game last night.

I watched the end. And wow crazy game.  I really thought that NE had it in the bag. When i looked earlier it was something like 21-3.  I think my sister and brother-in-law (new england fans) will be quite upset).

It's interesting to me that the colts did to the patriots this week what the patriots did to the chargers last week (i really thought the chargers, who i was rooting for had that in the bag).

Now i'm not even sure my sister will be having a superbowl party since they do not like the colts or the bears. :(

Jennifer

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2007, 06:08:07 AM »

Re: the smoking ban.

I am happy smoking is no longer allowed. I really cannot stand it. It makes my eyes water and i feel sick.

I am especially happy that smoking is not allowed at the malls and in restaurants.

Michael

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2007, 06:09:46 AM »

No sayings

But I was sick all day yesterday and going to see the doctor this a.m.  Never did get rid of the stomach virus that is going around.
Never stop dreaming.

Jennifer

« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2007, 06:13:42 AM »

Re: GREASE

However...

Judging from the final 12 picked, it does seem that most of them have had some experience on a stage before.  There's no one truly "green" left.  I mean it would have been nice if the jock would have made it through to the finals, but I also sense that the producers had an inkling that he would most likely become a home audience favorite.  They had to pick 12 that THEY would like to callback again.. and again.. and again.  Thus limiting "audience error".  Hopefully.

It actually bugs me that they let the jock go (and that girl alison).

I really hope they didn't get rid of them solely because they knew they would be audience favorites. But i suspect it is a combination of that and them not allowing anyone in the finals who would not be capable of doing 8 shows a week now.

I just wish that they had allowed some less experienced people go through. I'm sure these people could be trained. And i'll bet if america saw them struggling then they would not choose them as the winners.

But as things were it just became obvious that none of those people would go through, since they clearly could not star on broadway now.

Also re: the producers not having to let the winners actually play the parts (or for long ...). I think it will look really bad if they do not.  They need to let the winners be in the starring roles. If it doesn't work out fine.  But at least give them the chance they were promised.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2007, 06:14:28 AM »

Good morning, all!  My morning is my own, aqnd I have no plans except to leave the apartment around 11, go down to Toyland for a couple of hours and then head over to the ANNIE GET YOUR GUN mixes.

After that, I'm seeing Mr Kevin Spirtas' 5:00 presentation at the 2007 APAP Showcase.  Then I shall return, catch up on the mail, and sit like so much fish.

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2007, 06:16:06 AM »

No sayings

But I was sick all day yesterday and going to see the doctor this a.m.  Never did get rid of the stomach virus that is going around.
[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ VCIBES TO DR MICHAEL SHAYNE! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[/move]
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2007, 06:33:59 AM »

THE VERY BEST VIBES TO BK TODAY!! MAY ALL GO SMOOTHLY!!

FJL

« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2007, 06:44:09 AM »

More vibes to BK!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11   Go Up