Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: ELLIPSES  (Read 61100 times)

Ginny

Re:ELLIPSES
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2007, 06:47:34 AM »

Sending vibes to BK...
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2007, 06:47:45 AM »

Sending vibes to Michael S to get well soon!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2007, 06:49:19 AM »

Dear BK, I hope your situtation is worked out quickly, easily, and non-painfully.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2007, 06:49:29 AM »

And the word of the day is: ERADICATE!
I'd let you ERADICATE the AREA CITED, but I'm afraid you'd go on a tear and not know how to ACT, DEARIE.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2007, 06:52:25 AM »

Favourite odd sayings:  

Actor Lynne Overman had one:  "You broke your shovel with me."  Which essentially meant, "That's it, I've had it with you.  I'm through with you."

I've always been partial to one The Lovely Wife uses:  "Well, slap my tits and call me Mabel."

Miss Karen

« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2007, 07:01:45 AM »

No sayings

But I was sick all day yesterday and going to see the doctor this a.m.  Never did get rid of the stomach virus that is going around.

How about "Sick as a dog" --  Get well soon!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2007, 07:33:25 AM »

Good morning!

Another overcast day here, but it should be somewhat warmer today than the last few days - maybe low 50s.

It rained most of the day yesterday (slow but steady), but it didn't freeze and we never had any of the snow or ice they were predicting. The mountains of NC did have the snow and ice, but it missed us.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2007, 07:34:01 AM »

Get well soon wishes to DR Michael S!

Miss Karen

« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2007, 07:35:07 AM »

Two old family ones that I didn't think were stupid, just wacky:

My dad's:  "Well, it's better than a kick in the kimono"  (he used it in place of "it could have been worse") -- which by kimono he meant the bundle/fanny pack in the rear (I just looked it up -- it's where the "obi" sash/belt ties in the back) -- hence his take on it's's better than a "kick in the butt"  a good ol' Texas phrase.

My mom's:  "Don't get your tail caught in a ringer" (she used it in place of "don't get your panties in a wad" actually, that's another funny one for "don't pitch a fit"...)  She said her mom used it.  When my sister got her hand caught in my grandmother's washer (remember the old tub washers that you had to put the clothes through the hand-grinder or "ringer" on top), I assumed the washer was the source for their phrase...

Matt H.

« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2007, 07:38:37 AM »

I am delighted about the GREASE reality show. Yes, I'd rather it have been a SWEENEY TODD or FOLLIES reality show, but at least it's BROADWAY, and when has Broadway gotten such a chance to be on prime time TV (except for the once a year TOny Awards)?

As for the Dannys and Sandys singing songs from the movie, the movie songs WILL be a part of this GREASE revival (they were for Ian's London GREASE revival as well which is my favorite cast recording of GREASE, the one I listen to most often). It's in their best interests to pick a Danny and Sandy who can sing those songs well (and they're rangy songs which make them more difficult than most of the songs in the original score that Danny and Sandy have to sing.)

Matt H.

« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2007, 07:39:39 AM »

As for Juliana, she did herself proud last night, and if she wins Sandy, they'll have a fine performer. But there is competition for her. It's not going to be a cakewalk.

Miss Karen

« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2007, 07:40:27 AM »

..I love ellipses (as if you couldn't tell by all my posts...)... I like them so much, I sometimes use more than three......I like to believe it's because I'm always thinking, so I'm always caught in mid-thought...

Matt H.

« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2007, 07:42:10 AM »

I have ROME, EXTRAS, and CROSSING JORDAN to watch. I don't know if football went beyond 10 p.m. or not last night, but if it did, I won't be watching WITHOUT A TRACE. I didn't set the DVR to record past 11 p.m.

Matt H.

« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2007, 07:43:37 AM »

Of coruse, everything is back on TV tonight with new episodes: HEROES, STUDIO 60, 24,' and all the CBS comedies. Big night.

Miss Karen

« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2007, 07:50:01 AM »

Favourite odd sayings:  

Actor Lynne Overman had one:  "You broke your shovel with me."  Which essentially meant, "That's it, I've had it with you.  I'm through with you."

I've always been partial to one The Lovely Wife uses:  "Well, slap my tits and call me Mabel."

Ha-ha-ha! Is The Lovely Wife from the Southern regions or spend time there?  I had a good friend back in Texas that had some great ones, and he used that one from time to time.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2007, 07:50:18 AM »

I'm an ellipse-lover, myself...

Bruce, I'm just so curious about this terrible ordeal... haven't you had one too many of those in the past few months??? Well, vibes, boychik.

Michael - get well!

Sayings... hmmm... my mom used to say "Better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick."

Another I always liked, Yiddish, vu den, was: "In drerd!" (literally, "In the earth!") which meant "to hell with him!"

And that reminds me of: "Es helfen vee ah toyten bankes!" ("it helps as much as cupping a corpse"), which meant "It doesn't help."

And "Nisht geferlich." - "Not so terrible."
PennyO

Miss Karen

« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2007, 07:53:16 AM »

Well, time to bid adieu -- things to do, places to go, and people to see. This week's gonna be a killa' ...

Matt H.

« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2007, 07:57:51 AM »

My uncle used to say something that left us in gales of laughter. He was in his 70s (we were in our teens), and when he'd get to waxing nostalgic, he'd comment on the state of time:

"Well, a year seems like a month now. A month seems like a week. A week seems like a day."

I always thought this was ridiculous, absurd, nonsensical, especially since a school year back then seemed like ten years long to me.

Now that I'm much older and retired myself, I know EXACTLY what he meant. I have been retired over five years now. It seems like (at most) a year. I cannot believe how fast life passes by.

When I retired, I said that I'd be happy if I had twenty years of good health and relaxation. Seeing how fast those twenty years are flying by, I think I should have upped my ante.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2007, 08:06:36 AM »

Re: GREASEIt actually bugs me that they let the jock go (and that girl alison).

I really hope they didn't get rid of them solely because they knew they would be audience favorites. But i suspect it is a combination of that and them not allowing anyone in the finals who would not be capable of doing 8 shows a week now.

I just wish that they had allowed some less experienced people go through. I'm sure these people could be trained. And i'll bet if america saw them struggling then they would not choose them as the winners.

But as things were it just became obvious that none of those people would go through, since they clearly could not star on broadway now.

Also re: the producers not having to let the winners actually play the parts (or for long ...). I think it will look really bad if they do not.  They need to let the winners be in the starring roles. If it doesn't work out fine.  But at least give them the chance they were promised.

There's WAY too much money at stake to take a chance on someone who might "crap out" but still be carried through (look at the no-loads that advanced well into the finals of "American Idol").

With the 12 they have now, they feel fairly certain their "leads" will work.

I doubt seriously that any one of them has it "in the bag."  Unless it's Austin as "Danny".
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ginny

« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2007, 08:08:32 AM »

Feel better vibes for DR Michael S!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2007, 08:11:56 AM »

TOD -

"Running around like a chicken with its head cut off,"  which I've been known to do from time to time...

My mother's expression for aggressive, often frantic, behavior is "like you're killing snakes."  

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #51 on: January 22, 2007, 08:13:38 AM »

Time to get work-worthy.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Matt H.

« Reply #52 on: January 22, 2007, 08:17:47 AM »

I must also head downstairs to clean up for lunch with best friend John.

WBBL.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #53 on: January 22, 2007, 09:26:28 AM »

I'm up, I'm up, and have been for an hour - answering e-mails, and getting ready for a loooong day.  At least it looks pretty out.  I'm also trying to get the Brain booklet finished today.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #54 on: January 22, 2007, 09:27:07 AM »

Will we never get to page three?

Ginny

« Reply #55 on: January 22, 2007, 09:44:04 AM »

Off to meet a friend for lunch.

Bye for now!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #56 on: January 22, 2007, 10:10:38 AM »

Nice home and hearth photos, DR GEORGE.

Thanks, JRand!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #57 on: January 22, 2007, 10:15:05 AM »

TOD:  I also remember a friend's parents who would grab us kids into their car and take off.  When any of us asked where we were going, the mother would turn her head and say, "We're going up Mike's ass, that's where we're going!"  That kept us quiet (which was the intention) when we were very young, but as my friend, his brother and I got older, we began to snap back with "Good thing I'm wearing a brown shirt" or "Are you returning the car from where you bought it, dad?"  The parents would generally laugh, or not, depending on the situation.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #58 on: January 22, 2007, 10:15:31 AM »

I think I caught DR Sandra's hiccups.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #59 on: January 22, 2007, 10:15:38 AM »

....I was sick all day yesterday and going to see the doctor this a.m.  Never did get rid of the stomach virus that is going around.

~~~NO MORE ICKY TUMMY VIBES FOR MICHAEL!!~~~
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Up