Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14   Go Down

Author Topic: TO COIN A PHRASE  (Read 78626 times)

FJL

Re:TO COIN A PHRASE
« Reply #330 on: January 23, 2007, 07:48:16 PM »

And one for Merman

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #331 on: January 23, 2007, 07:48:21 PM »

I know the onstage seating for Spring Awakening is in the back and on the sides, but is it worth getting a seat there for the experience? I checked and can get one onstage when I'm there

Well, you literally end up in the middle of the show, so... Consequently, you don't see "all" of the show.  I've also been "warned" that those hard wooden benches - which part of the set basically - are not that comfortable.  So...
Make Your Own Luck.

Cillaliz

« Reply #332 on: January 23, 2007, 07:50:20 PM »

Well, you literally end up in the middle of the show, so... Consequently, you don't see "all" of the show.  I've also been "warned" that those hard wooden benches - which part of the set basically - are not that comfortable.  So...

On the other hand, for someone like me, being onstage at a Broadway show, would be a really cool experience, but... I wouldn't see the whole show....but...hmmm a dilemma

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #333 on: January 23, 2007, 07:50:55 PM »

Yes, lol, BIG VOICE. LITTLE VOICE, I knew it was one of those

Little Voice actually started out as a play.  Studio Theatre in DC mounted it a couple of years ago, and it was an amazing production.  And they found an actress who could actually do all the singing/mimicry of the female vocalists she had "grown up with".  The movie version wasn't bad, but the play was better.
Make Your Own Luck.

Cillaliz

« Reply #334 on: January 23, 2007, 07:51:46 PM »

Little Voice actually started out as a play.  Studio Theatre in DC mounted it a couple of years ago, and it was an amazing production.  And they found an actress who could actually do all the singing/mimicry of the female vocalists she had "grown up with".  The movie version wasn't bad, but the play was better.

I would love to have seen the play then, I thought the movie was great

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #335 on: January 23, 2007, 07:52:03 PM »

DR elmore - Have you checked your MySpace page lately?  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #336 on: January 23, 2007, 07:53:17 PM »

DR elmore - Here's someone we were talking about earlier today.
Make Your Own Luck.

Cillaliz

« Reply #337 on: January 23, 2007, 07:54:43 PM »

FJL, what's your thought about the onstage seating at SPRING AWAKENING?

Cillaliz

« Reply #338 on: January 23, 2007, 08:18:48 PM »

Gee is everyone contemplating the State of the Union?

FJL

« Reply #339 on: January 23, 2007, 08:19:17 PM »

Cilla - As one who wants to stay as far away from the stage as possible :) , I'd never want to sit onstage for such an "out there" show.  But that's me - it was enough trouble for Skip to convince me to get onstage for the two Starfighter talkbacks in the festival in Seattle.  (I sat onstage when Richard Burton was in Equus on Broadway 30 years ago, and really didn't like the feeling.)

But for friends who don't mind sitting where they can be seen, and literally having the performers sitting around them, it's been a glorious experience - especially if they're in the seats which are closer to the front of the stage.  I believe those are the lower numbers.  Then you get to see much more of the staging.   If you're in the higher numbers, I'd suggest listening to the album and reading the synopsis beforehand; that might be a good idea anyway if you go for a stage seat, so you won't be shocked by the goings-on.  

But if it sounds like fun to you in prionciple, it will turn out to be fun!

FJL

« Reply #340 on: January 23, 2007, 08:25:38 PM »

I saw LITTLE VOICE on Broadway and loved it, but it somehow turned out to be a fast flop on Broadway.

Kind of like ALFIE flopping on Broadway years ago, then going on to be a successful film.

Don't know many other example of Broadway flops that went on to be successful films.  Maybe that's an early question for Ask BK Day.

Cillaliz

« Reply #341 on: January 23, 2007, 08:26:55 PM »

Cilla - As one who wants to stay as far away from the stage as possible :) , I'd never want to sit onstage for such an "out there" show.  But that's me - it was enough trouble for Skip to convince me to get onstage for the two Starfighter talkbacks in the festival in Seattle.  (I sat onstage when Richard Burton was in Equus on Broadway 30 years ago, and really didn't like the feeling.)

But for friends who don't mind sitting where they can be seen, and literally having the performers sitting around them, it's been a glorious experience - especially if they're in the seats which are closer to the front of the stage.  I believe those are the lower numbers.  Then you get to see much more of the staging.   If you're in the higher numbers, I'd suggest listening to the album and reading the synopsis beforehand; that might be a good idea anyway if you go for a stage seat, so you won't be shocked by the goings-on.  

But if it sounds like fun to you in prionciple, it will turn out to be fun!

Thanks. The being on stage part doesn't bother me in the least. The only seats available are the higher numbers, so they would be closer to the back of the stage, which isn't a plus, but I can listen to the soundtrack etc. oh heck,  for the price, it's something I'll never forget, I think I may just go for it.  I do know it's an out there show, but I can handle that. I also know I won't see everything, but I'll be on stage during a Broadway show.  I don't know that I'll ever be able to say that again.

FJL

« Reply #342 on: January 23, 2007, 08:30:57 PM »

Good decision!!!  

Also, just so you know, you don't get a Playbill when you're onstage.

FJL

« Reply #343 on: January 23, 2007, 08:35:26 PM »

I think they give you a Playbill after the show, but they don't want the onstage people rustling the Playbills during the show, I guess.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #344 on: January 23, 2007, 08:35:58 PM »

I saw LITTLE VOICE on Broadway and loved it, but it somehow turned out to be a fast flop on Broadway.

Kind of like ALFIE flopping on Broadway years ago, then going on to be a successful film.

Don't know many other example of Broadway flops that went on to be successful films.  Maybe that's an early question for Ask BK Day.

I remember that my friends and I were looking forward to THE RISE AND FALL OF LITTLE VOICE coming to New York.  The original production in London starred Jane Horrocks (it was probably written for her) and she created a sensation in the role.  But for some reason, she didn't come over in the B'way production.

I should add that Jane Horrocks played Bubbles the secretary in ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS and my friends and I were huge AB FAB fans.  
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Cillaliz

« Reply #345 on: January 23, 2007, 08:37:00 PM »

I'm having second thoughts. One performance the only seat left is right in front of the band....no offense, but that one I don't want. The other performance it's the next to the last seat in the second row on the other side of the stage from the band.  Would that be ok, or would I not be able to see anything?

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #346 on: January 23, 2007, 08:37:05 PM »

I think they give you a Playbill after the show, but they don't want the onstage people rustling the Playbills during the show, I guess.

I wonder what they would do to someone who decided to have a cell phone conversation?
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #347 on: January 23, 2007, 08:37:22 PM »

Count me as another who was bored with and infuriated by the raves for LOST IN TRANSLATION. The praise it garnered lost me.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #348 on: January 23, 2007, 08:39:53 PM »

In honor of Meryl Streep's 14th Oscar nomination this morning, I put in THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA and watched it again this evening before prime time shows came on. I didn't quite finish it; got her to Paris and the runwway shows, and then I had to stop it. But I'll finish it tomorrow. Looking forward to seeing the ending again.

Matt H.

« Reply #349 on: January 23, 2007, 08:42:10 PM »

I watched the next set of AMERICAN IDOL auditions, this time in Memphis. Once more, they showed far more good singers than bad, but at least it was only one hour's worth of clips rather than two (which happens tomorrow night as they get to NYC.)

I was disgusted that they passed up the first singer, the cheerleader coach. I thought he had an excellent voice, better than the Fidel Castro looalike they sent to Hollywood whose voice had promise but occasionally went off pitch.

Matt H.

« Reply #350 on: January 23, 2007, 08:43:57 PM »

VERONICA MARS had an entertaining episode tonight as Veronica went in search of a missing laboratory monkey.

I did not want her going back to Logan when that adorable, uncomplicated Pizz is the perfect guy for her. Argh!

Matt H.

« Reply #351 on: January 23, 2007, 08:45:12 PM »

DIRT didn't thrill me much tonight. So much more could have been done with Mariette Hartley as her mother: that's a mother-daughter relationship that screamed out for development, and we got almost nothing. Very disappointing.

FJL

« Reply #352 on: January 23, 2007, 08:45:16 PM »

Cilla - You'll be able to see but it'll be a question of perspective - you won't see the staging as it was officially meant to be seen from the audience.  People are saying the ideal is to see it from the audience and then later have the "once-in-a-lifetime" fun of being onstage.   One friend said seeing it from the audience was a great emotional entertainment, seeing it from the stage was a happening.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 08:48:01 PM by FJL »

Cillaliz

« Reply #353 on: January 23, 2007, 08:46:29 PM »

I DID IT....it's BB13 onstage for the Saturday Matinee.  I'm going for the experience.

Cillaliz

« Reply #354 on: January 23, 2007, 08:47:33 PM »

If I really want to see it again, I'll get a ticket to see it from the audience when I'm there in June.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #355 on: January 23, 2007, 08:48:43 PM »

IMHO, the best seat at SPRING AWAKENING would be one across the street at CHICAGO.
-- Anaïs Nin

Matt H.

« Reply #356 on: January 23, 2007, 08:51:24 PM »

I'm heading off to bed now.

Good night!

MBarnum

« Reply #357 on: January 23, 2007, 08:56:27 PM »

If you hated SILENCE OF THE LAMBS, what would possess you to watch the sequel?

In the case of both films I was tricked into it! Friends enticed me over with foodstuffs and then put the movie in...I was trapped.

MBarnum

« Reply #358 on: January 23, 2007, 09:04:06 PM »

Being onstage would be fun Cillaliz!

MBarnum

« Reply #359 on: January 23, 2007, 09:05:59 PM »

I watched an episode of the old TV series MICHAEL SHAYNE. I have never seen this show before. The plot was good, but I think the show needed a lead with more personality then Richard Denning. Denning was perfect for MR AND MRS. NORTH which had a bit of humor to it, but this show just wasn't for him.

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14   Go Up