Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: FRIED BRAIN  (Read 55519 times)

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
Re:FRIED BRAIN
« Reply #150 on: February 03, 2007, 12:03:09 PM »

Will we never get to page six?

YES

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #151 on: February 03, 2007, 12:09:30 PM »

Caption:

(Cilla to client)

"Take the deal, Bitch!"

der Brucer

Oh, dear, DER BRUCER, you crack me up!

DERBRUCER

« Reply #152 on: February 03, 2007, 12:11:11 PM »

Dutch Gym to Introduce 'Naked Sunday'

AMSTERDAM, Netherlands (Feb. 2) - Self-conscious about what you wear while working out? A Dutch gym plans to introduce "Naked Sunday" for people who like to huff and puff in the buff.

Patrick de Man, owner of Fitworld gym in the town of Heteren, said he got the idea in part from two of his customers who are avid nudists.

"I heard that some other gyms are offering courses on 'pole-dancing' as a sport, so I thought: Why not bring something new to the market?" de Man said.

He said the response had been overwhelming - positive and negative.

The 70,000-member Dutch Federation of Naturists was curious to see if Fitworld's plan would work, spokesman Bernd Huiser said.

"We recently conducted a large survey among our members, and most prefer to exercise with their clothes on," he said. "The most popular activities (for nudists) are things you do outdoors, like walking on the beach, or swimming in a lake, or maybe gardening."

I have this image of Miss Marple in her proper English garden - stark naked (except for gardening gloves)!

Gives new meaning to "Watch out for the thorns!"

der Brucer

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #153 on: February 03, 2007, 12:13:19 PM »

If it were me, I'd go for seven.

der Brucer

Yes! ME, TOO!

INCREDIBLE STORY! I've always felt that animals know a lot more than we give them credit for, but this is amazing.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #154 on: February 03, 2007, 12:15:04 PM »

My EMail chuckle for the day:

Well, DER BRUCER, you've done it again!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2007, 12:25:01 PM by Jeanne »

DERBRUCER

« Reply #155 on: February 03, 2007, 12:22:06 PM »

For Jeanne: Today's society stressing the most important:

4-Year-Old Girl Kept From Pre-School for Pink Hair

A 4-year-old pre-schooler was kicked out of class for having pink hair, a San Antonio TV station reported, and can't return until her hair is stripped of its bright coloring.

Natalyn Gracia, of San Antonio, Texas, had her hair died pink in October for Halloween and liked it so much, her father re-dyed it over Christmas break.

However, the Dalton Early Childhood center told her and her father Ricardo that her hair must be under compliance of school rules, which means the pink must go.

She has missed four days of school so far, and will miss more, her father said.

FULL STORY HERE

Darling, you may keep the piercings and the tattoos, but the pink hair must go.

der Brucer

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #156 on: February 03, 2007, 12:23:43 PM »

Dutch Gym to Introduce 'Naked Sunday'
I have this image of Miss Marple in her proper English garden - stark naked (except for gardening gloves)!

Gives new meaning to "Watch out for the thorns!"

der Brucer

Another story I didn't find on the BBC News. :)

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #157 on: February 03, 2007, 12:31:01 PM »

For Jeanne: Today's society stressing the most important:

4-Year-Old Girl Kept From Pre-School for Pink HairDarling, you may keep the piercings and the tattoos, but the pink hair must go.

der Brucer

But don't you have to draw the line SOMEwhere? :)

Actually, I'm beginning to think that uniforms aren't a bad idea. I think the kids have too many distractions.

And, if that's not enough, I'd like to see inner-city kids be able to attend boarding schools out in the country. Does this liberal now sound reactionary or just radical?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #158 on: February 03, 2007, 12:38:22 PM »

You might start with some shorter full length plays.
I think you'd like "P.S. My Cat is Dead"; it's sort of "A Weekend at Larry's" play.

der Brucer.

I have this surreal vision of Larry tieing Barnum buck-niked to the kitchen counter!

Just so you're aware it's your surreal vision.  For the record, he was tied to the fire escape.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #159 on: February 03, 2007, 12:39:13 PM »

International Herald Tribune

Swiss high court ruling opens possibility of assisted suicide for mentally ill

LAUSANNE, Switzerland: A ruling by Switzerland's highest court has opened the possibility that people with serious mental illnesses could be helped by doctors to take their own lives.

Switzerland already allows physician-assisted suicide for terminally ill patients under certain circumstances but the Federal Tribunal's decision, which was released on Friday, puts mental illnesses on the same level as physical ones.

"It must be recognized that an incurable, permanent, serious mental disorder can cause similar suffering as a physical (disorder), making life appear unbearable to the patient in the long term," the ruling says.

It goes on to state that "if the death wish is based on an autonomous decision which takes all circumstances into account, then a mentally ill person can be prescribed sodium-pentobarbital and thereby assisted in suicide."

OK - a little help here!

How does someone with an "incurable, permanent, serious mental disorder" give informed consent?

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #160 on: February 03, 2007, 12:42:11 PM »

Just so you're aware it's your surreal vision.  For the record, he was tied to the fire escape.

I take "poetic license" for my visions (cheaper than LSD).

der Brucer

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #161 on: February 03, 2007, 01:00:01 PM »

I take "poetic license" for my visions (cheaper than LSD).

der Brucer

Has other advantages, too.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #162 on: February 03, 2007, 01:07:11 PM »

But don't you have to draw the line SOMEwhere? :)

Actually, I'm beginning to think that uniforms aren't a bad idea. I think the kids have too many distractions.

And, if that's not enough, I'd like to see inner-city kids be able to attend boarding schools out in the country. Does this liberal now sound reactionary or just radical?

A. The city I recently left, Long Beach, CA, introduced school uniforms and achieved notable improvements in conduct and academic performance.

B. We already know that leaving parenting to many inner-city families is a failure. My conservative friends can rant and rave all they want about "it's the parents' responsibility", but when the parents don't (and, to be honest, in many cases, can't) step up to the plate, they either society steps in or we lose another generation!

A charter school in DC has an approach:

KIPP SCHOOLS

Give more instructional hours to students. One reason that KIPP DC schools are successful in improving achievement is that we provide 40 percent more time for learning than traditional public schools do. Our students are in school from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Thursday; 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Friday; 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday; and they attend summer school. You can't get different outputs unless you change the inputs, and our results show that more time on task is one of the key inputs.

In the first year, KIPP DC: AIM Academy fifth-graders jumped from the 16th to the 77th percentile in mathematics on the national Stanford 10 exam. While increasing classroom time might seem daunting in the face of ever-shrinking educational budgets, resources can be found. Other urban districts, including San Francisco and New York, are experimenting with longer school days and have found ways to fund these efforts

In those cases where the home environment is fully hostile to child rearing, then the state should step in! (Your "country boarding school" is my "state run orphanage".)

I would be interested to find how many single parents would allow their childen to go to a boarding school (parents to surrender their Child Welfare payments).

As a card-carrying fiscal conservative I see cost-effectivenes in tax-supported boarding school now as opposed to tax-supported prison later.

Of course Bill O'Reilly dismisses me as a "secular progressive' (one step away from "enemy of the state").

der Brucer

PS Common sense solutions often fail a liberal/conservative test.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #163 on: February 03, 2007, 01:24:09 PM »

And now, a sadder tale to tell:

USA Today

Endangered cranes killed in Fla. storms

Posted 2/3/2007 2:34 PM ET

MILWAUKEE (AP) — All 18 endangered young whooping cranes that were led south from Wisconsin last fall as part of a project to create a second migratory flock of the birds were killed in storms in Florida, a spokesman said.

The cranes were being kept in an enclosure at the Chassahowitzka National Wildlife Refuge near Crystal River, Fla., when violent storms moved in Thursday night, said Joe Duff, co-founder of Operation Migration, the organization coordinating the project.
"The birds were checked in late afternoon the day before, and they were fine," he said Friday.

The area of the enclosure was unreachable by workers at night, and all the birds were found dead, Duff said. He speculated that a strong storm surge drew the tide in and overwhelmed the birds. The official cause of the deaths was not immediately known, but he said it may have been drowning.

For the past six years, whooping cranes hatched in captivity have been raised at the Necedah National Wildlife Refuge in central Wisconsin by workers who wear crane-like costumes to keep the birds wary of humans.
Ultralight aircraft are used to teach new groups of young cranes the migration route to Florida. From then on, the birds migrate north in the spring and south in the fall on their own.

Duff described the loss as an "unavoidable disaster" for the whooping cranes project that ironically followed a milestone.

For the first time in six years, an entire group of young birds reared at the Necedah refuge had made it to the Florida refuge without the loss of a single crane.

The various groups and agencies working on the project had seen the size of the flock grow to 81 birds with the latest arrivals, but the loss of the young cranes drops the total back to 63, and there may have been additional losses.

The whooping crane, the tallest bird in North America, was near extinction in 1941, with only about 20 left.
The other wild whooping crane flock in North America has about 200 birds and migrates from Canada to the Texas Gulf Coast. A non-migratory flock in Florida has about 60 birds.

der Brucer

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #164 on: February 03, 2007, 01:24:48 PM »

B. We already know that leaving parenting to many inner-city families is a failure. My conservative friends can rant and rave all they want about "it's the parents' responsibility", but when the parents don't (and, to be honest, in many cases, can't) step up to the plate, they either society steps in or we lose another generation!

KIPP SCHOOLSIn those cases where the home environment is fully hostile to child rearing, then the state should step in! (Your "country boarding school" is my "state run orphanage".)

As a card-carrying fiscal conservative I see cost-effectivenes in tax-supported boarding school now as opposed to tax-supported prison later.

der Brucer

PS Common sense solutions often fail a liberal/conservative test.

Yes, better education early on, fewer inmates later. Virtually anything is better than a large prison population--and many alternatives would be cheaper. Incarceration is expensive.

I try to look for pragmatic solutions and dislike partisanship.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #165 on: February 03, 2007, 01:26:52 PM »

is expensive.

I try to look for pragmatic solutions and dislike partisanship.

Let's date ;D

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #166 on: February 03, 2007, 01:29:22 PM »

Guess who is 'demanding" attention?

And he means NOW!

der Brucer

Jennifer

« Reply #167 on: February 03, 2007, 01:46:27 PM »

Thank you,. DR der Brucer, for providing me with the name of the Brooke Shields-looking actress on last night's MONK. The minute I saw her name - Heather Tom - I knew immediately that's who it was.

She was an Emmy-winning regular on ONE LIFE TO LIVE for years, and she was ceremoniously dumped a few weeks ago from the cast of that soap. I hope she can find a rewarding regular role on a series for next season.

She was on ONE LIFE TO LIVE. But she was on THE YOUNG & THE RESTLESS for years.  I know that she won emmys there. I am not sure if she has won any on OLTL. I don't think so but it's possible.

I really liked her on Y&R (she played victoria newman).

Jennifer

« Reply #168 on: February 03, 2007, 01:51:58 PM »

I am definitely going to watch the Super Bowl tomorrow. I love it!  And happily my sister has a satelite so we will be watching the US commercials.  Everyone who has regular cable has to watch the canadian feed with canadian commercials. Really stupid.

Anyhow, since i do not like either of the teams (it really helps me if i like one of the teams) i will participate in my brother-in-law's football pool. This all really makes the game much more interesting. You pull out combinations of numbers (like 0-7 colts) or (3-3). And then if the quarter ends with those numbers  you win that part of the pool. It means you cheer for either team to score your numbers.

François

« Reply #169 on: February 03, 2007, 02:02:42 PM »

Joyeux Anniversaire, DR Toysorus... err... Edisaurus!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #170 on: February 03, 2007, 02:05:10 PM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY EDISAURIS!![/size]

WEEKEND BIRTHDAYS ARE THE BEST, HAVE FUN![/size]

François

« Reply #171 on: February 03, 2007, 02:05:24 PM »

For all you Potter Fans!

http://briansibleysblog.blogspot.com/

which also has pictures! 2 of them! "Harry" needs a TAN!!

Hogwarts is in turmoil…

Hermione Granger is locked in her room and is, according to close friend Ron Weasley, inconsolably distressed. Professor McGonagall has had several attacks of the vapours and Professor Dumbledore has had an unexpected recurrence of his Old Trouble…

What’s the problem? The fact that Harry Potter has run away from Hogwarts and is living in London where, it seems, he has given up magic in favour of an acting career.

Master Potter is about to make a controversial debut in Peter Shaffer’s disturbing psychological play, Equus, in which he is required to take off more than just his spectacles.

Hogwarts handyman, Mr Hagrid, who has known Potter since the young man was a baby, told The Daily Blog:

“I am very disappointed in Harry. Not because of the nudity thing, he’s been waving his magic wand around ever since he first came to Hogwarts, but because - if the photos are reliable - he’s agreed to appear with some kind of Muggle horse that hasn’t either a pair of wings or a horn in the middle of its forehead! That’s not the kind of attitude we expect of a Hogwarts lad and it’s going to cost Gryffindor a lot of house points this term…”
« Last Edit: February 03, 2007, 02:06:31 PM by François »

Jennifer

« Reply #172 on: February 03, 2007, 02:10:18 PM »

Oh my gosh i am starving.  I need to find some food.

Jane

« Reply #173 on: February 03, 2007, 02:16:44 PM »

He is a sweetie. :)  

It is nice to see you again, your knew name is fun.

François

« Reply #174 on: February 03, 2007, 02:17:46 PM »

Guess who is 'demanding" attention?

And he means NOW!

der Brucer

Pongo and Persita say "Hi! Fleitcher!"

Jane

« Reply #175 on: February 03, 2007, 02:22:01 PM »

We hada quite wonderful birthday yesterday ending with treats from Marks & Spencer, a lovely and delicious fruit cake covered in marzipan and royal frosting

Thanks FJL!!!

OMG…….next time my neighbor goes to England I will ask him to stop at M & S for me.  Last time he was there he brought me home humbugs, I would rather have fruitcake with marzipan.  

If it is half as good as the one my mother made I will be happy.  How big was the cake?

Jane

« Reply #176 on: February 03, 2007, 02:27:54 PM »

MBarnum-Please tell Allen we miss him and hope he is happy with his new route.

Jane

« Reply #177 on: February 03, 2007, 03:02:06 PM »

Feel-Good news of the day (getting harder and harder to find)

Stray Dog Rescues Georgia Woman From Crash

Follow-up to the story:

A dog who helped rescue a Georgia car wreck victim may have the right stuff for search and rescue work.
Next week, Thomasville dog trainer Heidy Drawdy will take the two-year-old German shepherd, now named "Hero," to see if he's cut out for the job.

Hero's previous owners had signed him over to the Thomasville-Thomas County Humane Society shelter because he kept wandering off.

First item on Drawdy's agenda for the wandering canine: obedience training.

Jane

« Reply #178 on: February 03, 2007, 03:08:50 PM »

Sherlock is sound asleep.  We had a an extra nice hike today.  He was very excited to see his good friend Maia, a 9 month old Bernese Mountain Dog, who happened to be leaving the trails as we were beginning our hike.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #179 on: February 03, 2007, 03:17:04 PM »

Any HHWers living in the Sarasota/Bradenton area?

Looking for a follow-up interview that appeared in the print copy of the Bradenton Herald....

It is not located in the online edition.
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12   Go Up