Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: 2007: A SPACE ODYSSEY  (Read 41579 times)

Ginny

Re:2007: A SPACE ODYSSEY
« Reply #120 on: February 04, 2007, 11:44:23 AM »

So, who here will be watching the Super Bowl?  Who here will be watching the Grease rerun?  Who here will be dancing in their pantaloons?

Richard and I will be watching the Super Bowl.  It's usually the only pro football game we watch all year and I always make some fun food for the evening.  Just finished making a family specialty, called Stuffed Sandwiches.  Grate a pile of sharp cheddar cheese, chop pitted ripe olives, and mix in together with bottled chili sauce.  Stuff (hence, the name) the mixture into hot dog buns and wrap them in pairs in foil.  Heat in a 350o oven until filling is hot (I can tell by the smell when they're done).  What's interesting this year is that I made more filling than I had room for in the buns, so I used tortillas for the last 2.  Film at 11.

Welcome to Page 5!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2007, 11:46:04 AM by Ginny »
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Tomovoz

« Reply #121 on: February 04, 2007, 11:45:36 AM »

Rufus Thomas showed many people how to Walk the Dog. He even showed the Rolling Stones.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #122 on: February 04, 2007, 11:46:01 AM »

Well, let's have reports on the Super Bowl, especially the outfits.

Tomovoz

« Reply #123 on: February 04, 2007, 11:48:55 AM »

Super Bowl - Bowl of Soup.  It will be 100 degrees F here today. I have no interest in whatever Bowl it is.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Ginny

« Reply #124 on: February 04, 2007, 11:53:40 AM »

Well, let's have reports on the Super Bowl, especially the outfits.

Chicago Bears - Navy Blue & Orange
Indianapolis Colts - Cobalt (?) Blue & White
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Tomovoz

« Reply #125 on: February 04, 2007, 11:55:56 AM »

DR Ginny - did you ever download or whatever a copy of Brian Hyland's beautiful pop song "Ginny Come Lately"?
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #126 on: February 04, 2007, 11:58:31 AM »

I shall now be on my way to a meeting at Jerry's Deli.

Ginny

« Reply #127 on: February 04, 2007, 12:01:54 PM »

DR Ginny - did you ever download or whatever a copy of Brian Hyland's beautiful pop song "Ginny Come Lately"?

DR Tomovoz - As soon as I finish the cleaning chore that BK & Cillaliz & Jeanne have inspired me to do, I'll go to iTunes and look for it!

Tomovoz

« Reply #128 on: February 04, 2007, 12:06:01 PM »

and Del Shannon's "Ginny In The Mirror".
James Thurber 1957

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #129 on: February 04, 2007, 12:06:10 PM »

Dakota, you are here early!

Killing time before I have to finish dressing to go to work... Sometimes I come by before I go to work...

I have tow layers on and two more togo...
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #130 on: February 04, 2007, 12:09:11 PM »

GO COLTS!!!

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #131 on: February 04, 2007, 12:17:59 PM »

Who here will be eating marzipan?  Who here will be sitting on their couch like so much fish?  Who here will be coming out of the closet that they just cleaned?

At work with two grumbling student workers who will be mad becuase they cannot watch the game. I did research and a radio station in Fargo is carrying the game.

Actually, it will be quiet enough for me to finish up a few little projects.

Go Colts!!!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2007, 12:22:32 PM by DakotaCelt »
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #132 on: February 04, 2007, 12:21:05 PM »

I have several 45s from the Claddagh label including one that is the recitation of "Battle of Aughrim"

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #133 on: February 04, 2007, 12:24:51 PM »

Gordon Lightfoot's "Cotton Ginny"  :)

Ginny

« Reply #134 on: February 04, 2007, 12:37:08 PM »

Gordon Lightfoot's "Cotton Ginny"  :)

Got the 2 recommended by Tomovoz and was surprised how many songs in iTunes have my name in them.  Next time I'm there, maybe I'll get a couple more and eventually have a whole playlist!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2007, 01:06:11 PM by Ginny »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #135 on: February 04, 2007, 12:40:28 PM »

Last night's viewing  was "Carmen". We enjoyed it very much. Beautiful locations.  Mr Domingo was not that believable as Don José but it is Opera so such things are acceptable.

My loverly friend Faith Esham was the Micaela.  I love that film version.  Domingo's too old for the role.  Don Jose should be a 21 year-old virgin and mama's boy with a mean streak at the beginning of the opera.  It's all about how obsession and wrong choices can destroy you.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #136 on: February 04, 2007, 12:41:24 PM »

Apparently the ebay PEZ thing is a myth perpetrated by the company"

http://www.davidrowan.com/2002/07/times-ebays-creation-myth-exposed.html

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #137 on: February 04, 2007, 12:41:58 PM »

Mucho vibes to Elmore and family.

Ginny

« Reply #138 on: February 04, 2007, 12:43:46 PM »

DR Elmore - Vibes to your dad.  Let me know if I can help in any way on this end.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #139 on: February 04, 2007, 12:45:01 PM »

JRand:
Favorite Stooges routine was the alphabet song. B A bay, B E bee, B I Bicky By B O Bo, etc.  I think they were working a car wash while singing that tune.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #140 on: February 04, 2007, 12:53:37 PM »

DR Jeanne, Karl Haas lost his intellectual capacity for me...
What sort of book would you like?  Give me your parameters and I will recommend a few items.

Ah, most gracious of you, ELMORE. If we are preempted by your need to be with your dad, so be it.

I didn't know enough to not be impressed with Karl Haas. I found it so refreshing to hear someone discuss music in what seemed to me to be an intelligent way!

I have no background in music theory so that sort of thing would be over my head. I've been listening to classical music for many years and LOVE Bach, LOVE Rach, LOVE Beethoven. But I have little insight about how one style of music, ie baroque, evolved into other styles. So a certain amount of history would be useful.

It occurs to me also that some pieces of music hold strong and immediate appeal to some listeners and not to others. I know, for example, that I love baroque music, which I suspect is because of its use of theme and variation, which is a theme in my life in other respects, as well. Does anyone know/speculate on this?

If it sounds like I'm struggling to give you parameters, it's because I AM! But maybe these ramblings will give you some insight just the same. And, although I'd like a book or two, listening is of course the bottom line. If you have recommendations for CDs that are representative, pls tell! I may have them, but I may not. I guess you could call this an independent study music appreciation class.

Many thanks.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #141 on: February 04, 2007, 12:57:30 PM »

So, who here will be watching the Super Bowl?  Who here will be watching the Grease rerun?  Who here will be dancing in their pantaloons?

Me:
superbowl:no.
Grease: no.
Dancing in my pantaloons: well, never can tell. The mood may strike.

I plan to watch Hitchcock's TORN CURTAIN tonight.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #142 on: February 04, 2007, 01:00:12 PM »

Who here will be eating marzipan?  Who here will be sitting on their couch like so much fish?  Who here will be coming out of the closet that they just cleaned?

Marzipan: no. (Chocolate:yes. In fact, must go grab some.)
Sitting on my couch like so much fish: sitting in my recliner later watching a DVD.
Coming out of the closet: It was the kitchen I cleaned today, not the closet. Will I be coming out of the kitchen? Yes. Kitchens are dangerous places and should be avoided. That's my motto; eat out.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #143 on: February 04, 2007, 01:13:07 PM »

Garage and closet cleaning vibes for Bruce and George!!

Thanks!  My sister, her boyfriend and my niece (maybe) are coming over to help move some things into my garage from the storage unit.  I know we won't get it all done today, but we should make a dent. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #144 on: February 04, 2007, 01:19:20 PM »

Cleaning closet / garage vibes to bk and George

And thank you!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #145 on: February 04, 2007, 01:20:35 PM »

It has been the topic of much discussion, particularly the fact that on whatever website the contestants' bios were listed, Julia was listed as a "temp worker". I haven't seen the site and don't know Julia---I don't think she's posted since I join the site.

But now, looking at her bio on NBC:
http://www.nbc.com/Grease/contestants/juliana.shtml
she does list herself as an actress. And a fellow Aquarian!

They changed it!  Originally, "Temp worker" was shown as her occupation and under "Training," it said "Acting: 4 months"!!

::)

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #146 on: February 04, 2007, 01:22:46 PM »

Glad the mini-golf thing was a hit, George.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #147 on: February 04, 2007, 01:23:37 PM »

Oh, and ELMORE, I simply ADORE Infernal Violins by Angele Dubeau and her group, La Pieta. Do you know this CD? You see, I know I love it--loved it the first time I heard it on the radio--and never tire of it, but I can't really say WHY. Passion, yes. NOT staid. Beyond that, I can't say. What do you think of it?

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #148 on: February 04, 2007, 01:28:40 PM »

Ben-I couldn’t find any photos or descriptions of the cakes either.  I never cared for the hard icing, but it sure is pretty.  I still have the English Christmas decorations my mother topped the cake with.  The hard icing broke off easily enough for me to eat just the cake & marzipan.  My father traded my hard icing for his marzipan.

Dakota-Many of those Irish candies look English to me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #149 on: February 04, 2007, 01:32:57 PM »

I won't be watching the SUper Bowl or GREASE this evening. When I've cleaned my bathroom in a bit, I'll put in the 1925 BEN-HUR which should segue neatly into tonight's ROME on HBO. After that EXTRAS on HBO, and then, I'll probably watch some FRIENDS episodes from one of its seasons. I haven't seen any in some time, and I do love them so much.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12   Go Up