Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12   Go Down

Author Topic: 2007: A SPACE ODYSSEY  (Read 41827 times)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Re:2007: A SPACE ODYSSEY
« Reply #300 on: February 04, 2007, 11:23:57 PM »

After we got the boxes, my sister went home and I watched the last two episodes of "Desperate Housewives" and "Two and a Half Men" and the latest episodes of "The Class" and "...Old Christine."  

After that, I taped a couple of episodes of a kid's show called "Code:  Lyoko" for the daughter of my friend, Margo.  I had taped the last season for her (about 15 episodes) and I missed these two.  I was able to record them when they were rebroadcast, but now I need to tape them onto a tape for Lian (the daughter) to keep.  Right now, I'm taping the latest episode of "Grey's Anatomy" for Margo.  

And that was my day today.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #301 on: February 04, 2007, 11:25:15 PM »

I love eggs florentine...basically the same thing except substituting spinach for canadian bacon.

Be decadant and add crab legs!

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #302 on: February 04, 2007, 11:26:19 PM »

Today, my sister and I went to my storage unit and got at least a third (but not nearly half) of the boxes and brought them to my house.  Most were put in my living room because my garage is damp.  The storage unit is unheated and a little damp also, but not as damp as my garage. :P So, I figure that if I empty out my extra bedroom (bring all that stuff downstairs) and get what's left out of the storage unit, I can put up shelves in the extra bedroom, go through all the boxes and get rid of stuff that I need to get rid of and keep only what I really want to keep.  
Do you think you will find any surprises amid the boxes?
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

George

« Reply #303 on: February 04, 2007, 11:30:31 PM »

Do you think you will find any surprises amid the boxes?

I don't doubt that I'll find some surprises.  What I'm really hoping to find are my "missing in action" CDs...three or four CDs that I absolutely know I have, but haven't been able to find for a long time.  I hate it when that happens. :P
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #304 on: February 04, 2007, 11:32:32 PM »

So do i!!

I am hoping to locate some copies of cds that I like. I check out from the library first and if I really like them, I try and purchase copies of them.

Liz Callaway is on my list along with several musicals and other artists.
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

George

« Reply #305 on: February 04, 2007, 11:32:50 PM »

I discovered the new library branch near me had some neat cds....

A little Night music...
Man of La Mancha
Minnesota (an orchestral piece)
Monsoon Wedding....
and a couple of cds by BOND

I think Mbarnum would enjoy the soundtrack to Monsoon WEdding.

I need to do some work on my puter tonight and I think A Little Night Music would be a delightful treat...

DBF Jon is taking to Follies  for Valentines.  It is a show featuring a number of Sondheim pieces...

Has anyone ever seen or heard a good recording of Cole Porters "Anything Goes" ? I saw it once in college and I have been looking for the musical on CD. It had some nice tunes

You can't go wrong with A Little Night Music and Man of La Mancha. :)

FYI:  Follies isn't just "a show featuring a number of Sondheim pieces," the whole score was written by him. :D

AND I must say that it's not only one of my all time favorite Sondheim scores, it's one of my all time favorite musical scores, as well. ;D

George

« Reply #306 on: February 04, 2007, 11:34:34 PM »

So do i!!

I am hoping to locate some copies of cds that I like. I check out from the library first and if I really like them, I try and purchase copies of them.

Liz Callaway is on my list along with several musicals and other artists.

Which versions of A Little Night Music and Man of La Mancha have you gotten?  Do you have (or have you heard) a recording of Follies?

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #307 on: February 04, 2007, 11:35:17 PM »

I am looking forward to seeing it. I have really gotten into Sondheim the last few years...

George

« Reply #308 on: February 04, 2007, 11:45:19 PM »

Has anyone ever seen or heard a good recording of Cole Porters "Anything Goes" ? I saw it once in college and I have been looking for the musical on CD. It had some nice tunes

I really like the Patti LuPone version with Howard McGillin.  I love Patti and he's dreamy!  I also like the studio recording with Kim Criswell.  I love her, too!

If you want to find out all the different versions of musicals there are from around the world practically, go to the Cast Album database.  It's quite comprehensive.  It doesn't tell you what's available or where to get anything, but you can find out how many different recordings of Man of La Mancha there have been (19) as well as Anything Goes (17). :)

George

« Reply #309 on: February 04, 2007, 11:47:39 PM »

Even BK's shows are listed!

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #310 on: February 04, 2007, 11:50:46 PM »

Which versions of A Little Night Music and Man of La Mancha have you gotten?  Do you have (or have you heard) a recording of Follies?

I do not have a recording of Follies...

THe version of A Little Night Music I have is the Original broadway cast recording released on CBS Master works..

Man of La Mancha is also broadway cast.

I have a few others on my list I want to check out also, however some will have to wait until the main branch opens again after the new building is done next year.

My list includes Cabaret, Sunday in the Park with GEorge, Stephen Sondheim Collection, CHorus Line, Georgy and Bess.

Sarah Brightman, MIcheal Buble, Harry Connick, Jr and several others are also on my musical lists....

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #311 on: February 04, 2007, 11:52:47 PM »

If you want to find out all the different versions of musicals there are from around the world practically, go to the Cast Album database.  It's quite comprehensive.  It doesn't tell you what's available or where to get anything, but you can find out how many different recordings of Man of La Mancha there have been (19) as well as Anything Goes (17). :)

Interesting site GEorge, I have bookmarked it for further exploration...

George

« Reply #312 on: February 04, 2007, 11:53:29 PM »

Good choices, except that it's Porgy and Bess[/u]. :)

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #313 on: February 04, 2007, 11:53:51 PM »

I also like Patti Lupone.

I watched Into the Woods this past weekend. I really like that show!

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #314 on: February 04, 2007, 11:54:57 PM »

thanks for the correction..

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #315 on: February 04, 2007, 11:55:30 PM »

The library only limits 5 cds per checkout during the building of the new main library...

George

« Reply #316 on: February 04, 2007, 11:59:26 PM »

The library only limits 5 cds per checkout during the building of the new main library...

Yikes!  Our library system allows up to 100 items checked out at one time.

George

« Reply #317 on: February 05, 2007, 12:00:30 AM »

If you get the original Broadway cast recording of Follies, be aware that it's not the full score.  Some songs in the show were just not recorded and others had only part of the song recorded.  However, others like "I'm Still Here," sung by Yvonne DeCarlo and "Losing My Mind," sung by Dorothy Collins are definitive...in my humble opinion.  Elaine Stritch on the Follies In Concert recording made "Broadway Baby" her own.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #318 on: February 05, 2007, 12:02:36 AM »

Yikes!  Our library system allows up to 100 items checked out at one time.

NDSU does for faculty and staff..

The public library where I got the cds, is only limited to branch libraries at the moment and their collection is not really extensive. Most of the main library's is in storage and thus the limits to allow everyone a chance at the materials.

Concordia college in Moorhead has an extensive classical music collection

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #319 on: February 05, 2007, 12:04:22 AM »

Thanks for the pointer on Follies.. I have heard that before that not all songs are recorded for cast albums.

I would like to find Les Miserables.

George

« Reply #320 on: February 05, 2007, 12:04:44 AM »

NDSU does for faculty and staff..

The public library where I got the cds, is only limited to branch libraries at the moment and their collection is not really extensive. Most of the main library's is in storage and thus the limits to allow everyone a chance at the materials.

Concordia college in Moorhead has an extensive classical music collection

Ahh.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2007, 12:05:24 AM by George »

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #321 on: February 05, 2007, 12:05:53 AM »

"Later... When is later"....

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #322 on: February 05, 2007, 12:07:44 AM »

One thing I am finding with my hearing loss, I can listen to musicals a lot easier and does nto wear my ears down like electronic based pop music.

George

« Reply #323 on: February 05, 2007, 12:07:46 AM »

I would like to find Les Miserables.

That shouldn't be difficult!  There are 22 recordings on CADb. :D

« Last Edit: February 05, 2007, 12:10:28 AM by George »

George

« Reply #324 on: February 05, 2007, 12:09:03 AM »

One thing I am finding with my hearing loss, I can listen to musicals a lot easier and does nto wear my ears down like electronic based pop music.

That makes sense.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #325 on: February 05, 2007, 12:09:20 AM »

Len Cariou also did this recording of "A Little Night Music"

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #326 on: February 05, 2007, 12:10:35 AM »

I thought Fredrick sounded familiar

George

« Reply #327 on: February 05, 2007, 12:11:14 AM »

Len Cariou also did this recording of "A Little Night Music"

He was in both the original Broadway cast and the movie with Elizabeth Taylor.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #328 on: February 05, 2007, 12:11:24 AM »

Hermione Gingold is in this recording also.

George

« Reply #329 on: February 05, 2007, 12:11:38 AM »

Then Len went on to do Sweeney Todd. :)
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12   Go Up