Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: BOUNCE  (Read 37727 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:BOUNCE
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2007, 08:06:19 AM »

Question for Ask BK Day:

We were talking about ANYTHING GOES the other day. What is your favorite recorded version of this show?
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2007, 08:08:29 AM »

Page Two BROTHER BEAR Scene!!!

If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2007, 08:09:33 AM »

We got a sugar coating of about an inch and a half of snow during the night.  And it actualy is the consistancy of sugar--light and fine.  I saw a guy using a leaf blower to clear the sidewalk in front of the library.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2007, 08:58:15 AM »

I agree with both DRs Jennifer and Matt about the singers in last night's "Idol" auditions.  

It was quite a pleasant surprise to have several GOOD auditions aired when we've been handed all the rubbish over the past two weeks.

That said, I cannot imagine what "worse" they could possibly show us tonight.  And I suspect it's mostly "rehash".
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2007, 08:59:13 AM »

We got a sugar coating of about an inch and a half of snow during the night.  And it actualy is the consistancy of sugar--light and fine.  I saw a guy using a leaf blower to clear the sidewalk in front of the library.

Too bad folks didn't run out into their yards with packets of doilies so they'd have "patterns" on their lawns this morning.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2007, 09:03:41 AM »

Am not feeling my best today.  I woke up under the impression that I'm coming down with a cold.

I've taken some Airborne (which I've blithely ignored the past couple of weeks) and hope that helps set me to rights.

I feel a big groggy.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 09:03:59 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2007, 09:05:11 AM »

Our skies today are a wonderland of cloud layers...dark and forbidding...and full of moisture.

Rained all night.  Don't know what's in store for the daylight hours.

We're to have rain (thankfully, as we are well down in our average rainfall) through the weekend.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2007, 09:07:02 AM »

If anyone is going out and making snow angels today, make one for DR Elmore from all of us.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2007, 09:09:11 AM »

I'm sitting here giggling just thinking about that Leslie Uggums clip from yesterday.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2007, 09:10:17 AM »

Many thanks to DRs Jeanne, Elmore and Jose for the moisturizer/Magic Flute recommendations last night.  Since there is a Trader Joe's just a few blocks away from my office, I'm going to go buy some of their stuff at lunch.  Right now I'm using Neutrogena's Norwegian Formula hand cream and while I like the smoothing results it still feels thick and greasy.

I've searched Amazon and eBay for the Haitink MAGIC FLUTE, but it looks out of print and expensive, so for now I'm going with the Klemperer.  It also has Lucia Popp in the cast, this time as the Queen of the Night.  I might also pick up the Bergman film--I've never seen the whole thing.  I'm hoping that the Met will release a DVD of the recent Julie Taymor family production.

DRDan(theMan). my only caveats with the Klemperer, which is  very musical, gloriously sung, and with an all-star cast in the smaller roles:
  1.  No dialogue, and I believe a bit of dialogue between the numbers helps convey the sense more that Mozart wrote what was essentially a musical comedy.
  2.  By today's standards, with vocal appogiaturas especially, it is very conservative and late 19th-Century on its approach to 18th-Century vocalizing.

I'd go with the Christie recording myself, but I must say that the DVD I submitted is quite lovely and magical.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

FJL

« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2007, 09:14:09 AM »

Had a rough time getting on this site for about two hours or so.  Anyone else have any connection problems?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2007, 09:16:15 AM »

I may have missed it BK but did you eventually watch the Christmas Truce Documentary. I seem to remember you saying that you were going to do so.

Not quite yet - it got put in a stack of mail and I just saw it there and moved it to the den - so, I'll be watching it soon.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2007, 09:17:39 AM »

And speaking of the little dickens, it's Charles Dicken's birthday!  

BK, what is your favorite Dicken's work and adaptation of his work (in any form?)

Oliver Twist.  Lionel Bart's musical, Oliver.  But, the fact is I have liked almost every adaptation including the David Lean and Roman Polanski films.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2007, 09:19:16 AM »

Question for Ask BK Day:

We were talking about ANYTHING GOES the other day. What is your favorite recorded version of this show?

Interestingly, I've only ever heard the Patti Lupone version, which I enjoy.  Oh, that's not true, I also have the Kim Criswell version - that's okay, too.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2007, 09:19:54 AM »

Had a rough time getting on this site for about two hours or so.  Anyone else have any connection problems?

I got right on, but certainly that would help explain why we're still on page two.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #45 on: February 07, 2007, 09:20:08 AM »

Have I mentioned that I'm up?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #46 on: February 07, 2007, 09:20:22 AM »

Will we never get to page three?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #47 on: February 07, 2007, 09:20:52 AM »

Well, I must ungroggify.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #48 on: February 07, 2007, 09:21:23 AM »

I see plenty o' people but I don't see plenty o' postings.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #49 on: February 07, 2007, 09:21:32 AM »

Good morning, all!  I had a very restless night, got up at 6:30AM and cancelled all my appointments today and went back to bed until 10:30. I couldn't log in earlier and now here I am!  I will stay in and finish my IRS tallying.

I received last night the new cast recording of Weill & Brecht's HAPPY END from San Francisco's ACT.  I love Michael Feingold's English text and the cast is quite wonderful.  What a great score.  Now we need a complete unexpurgated Blitzstein THREEPENNY OPERA to compliment it.

DR MattH, much as I love Patti Lupone, she's not my ideal Merman singer, so I prefer the old 1960s revival with Eileen Rodgers and Hal Linden.  I'd like the EMI 1934 reconstruction more if it were better conducted and cast, and I worked on the recording!

DRDan(theMan), my favorite Dickens adaptation is probably the David Lean GREAT EXPECTATIONS.  I love the old MGM DAVID COPPERFIELD with WC Fields, but the rapport between Daniel Radcliffe and Maggie Smith in the BBC version give it a preference for me.  
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #50 on: February 07, 2007, 09:22:32 AM »

Good morning, Hainsie/Kimlets. We got a light dusting of snow during the night--enough to be pretty, not enough to cause major problems. It's still cold, though. Wussberger Jeanne already went outside to take some things to the mailbox. (Working from one's home has great advantages in bad weather.)

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #51 on: February 07, 2007, 09:23:51 AM »

We've trying to ungroggify, too. Or is it "degroggify"?

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #52 on: February 07, 2007, 09:25:51 AM »

I love the OLIVER TWIST with Ben Kingsley--I think he's wonderful in it--but I haven't seen all the others.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #53 on: February 07, 2007, 09:29:20 AM »

BK mentioned Daniel Autueil. I love to say his name. Whenever I hear it I say, AUTUEIL! I'm not good at French pronounciation, but I love the sound of it.

Oh, Lord. Last night I was discussing underwear, and here I am telling you my secrets. Whatever has become of me??  (Don't answer that, BK.)

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #54 on: February 07, 2007, 09:29:34 AM »

Favorite Dickens:

Last year's BLEAK HOUSE on Masterpiece Theatre
The RSC NICHOLAS NICKLEBY
David Lean's GREAT EXPECTATIONS
A CHRISTMAS CAROL with Alister Sim
A TALE OF TWO CITIES with Ronald Colman
OLIVER--the musical
« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 09:30:21 AM by Dan (the Man) »
-- Anaïs Nin

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #55 on: February 07, 2007, 09:33:16 AM »

Yes...it was nearly impossible to get to a page to read or post to from about 8:15-8:50 a.m.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 09:40:38 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #56 on: February 07, 2007, 09:35:37 AM »

I suspect some of us are being introspective today lest we post something about which we might become circumspect.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #57 on: February 07, 2007, 09:35:58 AM »

My first exposure to ANYTHING GOES was the '60 revival recording which I liked a lot except for a problem with side two of the LP--all the sound was garbled.  I had the same problem with the SWEET CHARITY LP.  Was I ever glad when these recordings were put on CD and I could hear them garble-free for the first time.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #58 on: February 07, 2007, 09:37:20 AM »

I suspect some of us are being introspective today lest we post something about which we might become circumspect.

I was circumspect a few weeks after I was born.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #59 on: February 07, 2007, 09:38:27 AM »

Oh, Lord. Last night I was discussing underwear, and here I am telling you my secrets. Whatever has become of me??  

Only "The Shadow" knows.....

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Up