Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: WHAT TAKES MY FANCY  (Read 46027 times)

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
Re:WHAT TAKES MY FANCY
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2007, 06:58:25 AM »

I love "gasp" moments in movies!  Any others, the DR's would care to mention?

My biggest gasp moment was at the end of CARRIE. I don't want to describe in and deprive others...although maybe it works better in a theatre.
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2007, 06:59:23 AM »

All I can think of is that moment in WAIT UNTIL DARK near the end of the movie when Audrey Hepburn is totally in the dark and the killer lunges.  

Ooohhh, that's a good one, too.

Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

FJL

« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2007, 07:03:04 AM »

Larry - I understand what it means to pay a late fee on a bill, but why does one pay a late fee for giving a gift check late???

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2007, 07:05:20 AM »

Did Ms Phyllis Coates garner much attention at the Courts show?  She usually complains that she gets "worked to death" at "those things."
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2007, 07:05:53 AM »

Did you listen to The Brain yet?

Going to do that right now.  ;D

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2007, 07:06:11 AM »

My biggest gasp moment was at the end of CARRIE. I don't want to describe in and deprive others...although maybe it works better in a theatre.

Oh yes!  Ain't it the truth.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2007, 07:08:04 AM »

At any rate, the Macbeths have had two days with no heat because of her.  

I am ashamed of myself for grinning about this on a Sunday.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2007, 07:10:53 AM »

I, also, assumed that Mr. BIG's daughter in attendance at the Courts show would be the older sister.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Edisaurus

« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2007, 07:16:07 AM »

DR Elmore, I'm glad that things went so well yesterday. I remember being so grief-stricken when my GaGa died...I had never felt anything like that. I heard that she had passed on while I was working in LA. I had a cold and food poisoning on top of that! But I flew to Ga, picked up Greg and we then flew to Ohio to be at the funeral the next day. I don't think I stopped crying the entire time after I heard the news, couldn't sleep or eat, but once we got to the gravesite, suddenly, everything seemed OK. It was a beautiful, sunny day, GaGa had a great spot on the top of the hill, and the minister said that he had heard a lot of great stories about GaGa and offered the opportunity for anyone who wanted to, to share them.

My uncle, GaGa's son, said that she had taught us all how to whistle REALLY LOUD. He said, "How loud would that be?" and my uncle produced an ear-splitting whistle. Then the rest of us started whistling, too. (She had taught us all, and we used to whistle for each other to call in for supper or just to find each other.) I can't imagine what other people in the cemetary thought, but to us is was cathartic and a tribute to the funny woman that we had loved so much.

Afterwards, we came back to my aunt's house and had a wonderful time catching up with relatives and meeting all my cousin's children. Since we moved so much when I was young, I didn't get to spend as much time with GaGa as my cousins, who never left Ohio, but she and I wrote each other all the time so I had boxes of letter from her. I read some excepts from the letters that mentioned other family members (all good stuff--she would never say anything bad about anyone) and my family really enjoyed that.

By the time I left the next day, I felt much better. I still miss her, so much that it can still make me cry, but I dream about her from time to time and always wake up feeling good, as though I had really visited her. DR Elmore's posts have brought back a lot of memories.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2007, 07:29:06 AM »

Will we never get to page two?

I think so.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Edisaurus

« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2007, 07:29:33 AM »

FJL---the fundraiser last night was fantastic! We had a great turnout, and just about everything on the silent auction table went. (Nobody bid on the Hooters golf bag!) The kids had a great time flying around the big trolley barn in their wheelchairs...they don't often have the opportunity, especially in winter, to zip around that fast!

The band was excellent; only two guys but thanks to midi, they sounded like a full band. Our original band, who volunteered to play for free, dropped out at the last minute because they got a paying gig. These other guys were part of a larger band that was on hiatus, so they gave us a great deal and were wonderful to work with. I think we may try to get them for next year's do. Even the kids were out there dancing in their wheelchairs or in their parent's arms.

My godson's mom, who is also an editor, put together a beautiful video after interviewing members of our group and combining it with photos. People were very touched by it and it made them feel good about contributing to such a worthy cause.

We had 2 hours set-up, from 6-8, then the party-goers arrived and partied from 8-11. Even though we didn't start packing up and cleaning until 11:15, we packed up hundreds of chairs, stowed tables and linens, cashed everyone out, cleaned everything, swept the floor and got out with 6 minutes to spare!

After carrying lots of heavy boxes, and cases of wine, I am very sore today. I can tell I've not been to the gym for quite some time!

Edisaurus

« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2007, 07:30:17 AM »

If I split these lengthy posts up we'd probably be on page 4 by now!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2007, 07:30:42 AM by Edisaurus »

Matt H.

« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2007, 07:30:37 AM »

Good morning!

Bright, beautiful blue sky and cold temperatures. Looks like today will be pretty. But I have lots of chores, so I doubt I see much of the outside.

Matt H.

« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2007, 07:32:49 AM »

All network shows have new episodes tonight, so it's going to be a very full night of TV for me starting at 8. Until then, I need to get the DVR cleared off as much as possible of last week's shows.

Matt H.

« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2007, 07:34:35 AM »

The most recent "gasp" moment I can remember in a film happened when I saw BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN in the theater.

In a scene where Ennis and Jack are having early morning hijinks (thinking they're alone), and Randy Quaid is sitting on a horse watching them from a distance. I, and many in the audience, gasped out loud that their secret had been discovered so quickly.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2007, 07:35:09 AM by Matt H. »

Matt H.

« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2007, 07:36:07 AM »

I adore REAR WINDOW. Hitchcock made so many great films, it's hard to say which one is my favorite, but REAR WINDOW certainly ranks in the top two of three of them.

Matt H.

« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2007, 07:37:27 AM »

I bought a used copy of CINDERELLA III which I hope to get to this afternoon. The first sequel was simply dismal in every respect, but this one has garnered some decent reviews, so I was eager to watch it.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2007, 07:40:40 AM »

Lovely stories both, DR EDISAURUS.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #48 on: February 18, 2007, 07:41:41 AM »

Well from it's lovely green color to the tantalizing booklet photos, I am intrigued, charmed, and in love with THE BRAIN FROM PLANET X.

Outstanding work from ALL involved, who were obviously all doing the SAME show.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #49 on: February 18, 2007, 07:42:47 AM »

Can't choose a favorite song yet....if EVER.  But I will add my kudos for the orchestrations of DR ELMORE and the performance of DR CASON.

I am jealous of those who got to see this PLAN onstage!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #50 on: February 18, 2007, 07:43:31 AM »

And the word of the day is: PECUNIARY!
Speaking of matters PECUNIARY, what's your opinion of the new fifty dollar bills being a shade of RAINY PUCE instead of the traditional green?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #51 on: February 18, 2007, 08:07:48 AM »

Speaking of matters PECUNIARY, what's your opinion of the new fifty dollar bills being a shade of RAINY PUCE instead of the traditional green?

I would volunteer to try out several hundred of them.  ;D

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #52 on: February 18, 2007, 08:27:05 AM »

The whole "scrotum" flap.  It's not a dirty word (they print in "family" newspapers).  It's a perfectly acceptable, medically correct name for that part of the anatomy.  Librarians who ban books are not worthy of the name.

Matt H.

« Reply #53 on: February 18, 2007, 08:30:26 AM »

I'm headed downstairs now to get started on the laundry and other SUnday chores.

WBBL.

FJL

« Reply #54 on: February 18, 2007, 08:50:30 AM »

Edi - So glad last night's event went well.  Thank you for taking the time to share some details, they were great to read!

Miss Karen

« Reply #55 on: February 18, 2007, 09:04:32 AM »

DR Elmore, I'm glad that things went so well yesterday. I remember being so grief-stricken when my GaGa died...I had never felt anything like that. I heard that she had passed on while I was working in LA. I had a cold and food poisoning on top of that! But I flew to Ga, picked up Greg and we then flew to Ohio to be at the funeral the next day. I don't think I stopped crying the entire time after I heard the news, couldn't sleep or eat, but once we got to the gravesite, suddenly, everything seemed OK. It was a beautiful, sunny day, GaGa had a great spot on the top of the hill, and the minister said that he had heard a lot of great stories about GaGa and offered the opportunity for anyone who wanted to, to share them.

My uncle, GaGa's son, said that she had taught us all how to whistle REALLY LOUD. He said, "How loud would that be?" and my uncle produced an ear-splitting whistle. Then the rest of us started whistling, too. (She had taught us all, and we used to whistle for each other to call in for supper or just to find each other.) I can't imagine what other people in the cemetary thought, but to us is was cathartic and a tribute to the funny woman that we had loved so much.

Afterwards, we came back to my aunt's house and had a wonderful time catching up with relatives and meeting all my cousin's children. Since we moved so much when I was young, I didn't get to spend as much time with GaGa as my cousins, who never left Ohio, but she and I wrote each other all the time so I had boxes of letter from her. I read some excepts from the letters that mentioned other family members (all good stuff--she would never say anything bad about anyone) and my family really enjoyed that.

By the time I left the next day, I felt much better. I still miss her, so much that it can still make me cry, but I dream about her from time to time and always wake up feeling good, as though I had really visited her. DR Elmore's posts have brought back a lot of memories.

Ohh, what a charming -- or is it endearing -- sometimes I can't think of the right words to express what I'm thinking (at times I don't think they've even been invented so I may need to come up with some my own) memory.  I love your stories about your GaGa -- there's always such a nice mix of wacky and fun and humor and most of all love.  A very, very nice post to start a new Sunday...

Miss Karen

« Reply #56 on: February 18, 2007, 09:10:53 AM »

Can't choose a favorite song yet....if EVER.  But I will add my kudos for the orchestrations of DR ELMORE and the performance of DR CASON.

Like DR MBarnum yesterday, you DR JRand56 have scored major points with this post...

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #57 on: February 18, 2007, 09:11:54 AM »

DR MUSIC GUY you are NOT mistaken.

Bert I Gordon has four daughters, that I know of.

Miss Karen

« Reply #58 on: February 18, 2007, 09:14:07 AM »

Well from it's lovely green color to the tantalizing booklet photos, I am intrigued, charmed, and in love with THE BRAIN FROM PLANET X.

Outstanding work from ALL involved, who were obviously all doing the SAME show.

I'm sure you'll get a note from bk about this, too, but you must post your review at Amazon when its up to accepting our messages about The Brain....and be sure to include your line about DR Elmore's orchestrations and DR Cason...  :-*

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #59 on: February 18, 2007, 09:16:13 AM »

Larry - I understand what it means to pay a late fee on a bill, but why does one pay a late fee for giving a gift check late???

It's Lady M's sense of humor.  ROTFLMAO, no?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13   Go Up