Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: WHAT TAKES MY FANCY  (Read 45712 times)

Miss Karen

Re:WHAT TAKES MY FANCY
« Reply #60 on: February 18, 2007, 09:18:51 AM »

Greetings DR ELmo ~ My, you're up early to have been out celebrating the life and times of dear William Edgar.  You must not have hoisted as many as I recommended.  I've been thinking about you tons the past few days.  Love ya!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #61 on: February 18, 2007, 09:20:18 AM »

Der Grampa and I often witness Magic Mommy trying to censor what the grandlads read and watch, and it's amazing what she bans and what slips through.

Generally, her negative comments are phrased as "I don't want them reading that stuff," or "I don't like that show."  Thus, she grumbles and growls about the Captain Underpants series of books (which Alex thought hilarious), and will not let the boys watch Kim Possible (and gave me an incredulous stare when I replied that the show included some really good satire - I just love it when she looks at me like I'm some kind of bug, which happens quite regularly).

What slips through?  Well, Alex has decided that he really really really (yep, that's three reallys) likes the songs of Toby Keith.  What's the problem?  The songs of Toby Keith are frequently about boozing, womanizing, and then there's the one titled "Smokin' with Willie."  Magic Mommy responds by giving her son an iPod that contains even more songs by Toby Keith.

More often than not, my hunch is that Magic Mommy is objecting to what she thinks is the content, rather than checking on what the actual content is.  And in this respect, Magic Mommy is not very different from a lot of other mothers who object to books in school libraries.

Der Grampa and I have a lot of work ahead of us.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #62 on: February 18, 2007, 09:22:31 AM »

If I split these lengthy posts up we'd probably be on page 4 by now!

Both of which were beautiful & moving, I preferred reading them in one post.  

Miss Karen

« Reply #63 on: February 18, 2007, 09:22:36 AM »

Well, I will tell you one piece of Macbeth gossip that has this household amused.  Lady M is notorious for paying bills and gift checks late.  I don't know if she thinks it's a hoot to be able to add to birthday and Christmas checks "late fee" or if she's plumb irresponsible.  I'm sure that if my brother knew how much money she costs the family business in late fees, he wouldn't be so tolerant of her generally crappy behavior.

Yesterday morning, because they live in the country, they ran out of propane gas, either through her not paying a bill on time or not keeping an eye on the monitor.  At any rate, the Macbeths have had two days with no heat because of her.  

Hmmmm, what goes round, comes round, as they say....

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #64 on: February 18, 2007, 09:23:52 AM »

One of my favorite childhood memories is of watching Mary Martin playing Peter Pan on the television, particularly the moment when Peter stands up in front of Wendy and sings "I've got a scrotum!  (Err-err-err-errrrr!)"

Oh, that's not what she/he sings?   ???

Are you sure?   ;D
« Last Edit: February 18, 2007, 09:24:20 AM by S. Woody White »
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Ginny

« Reply #65 on: February 18, 2007, 09:29:27 AM »

Sunday greetings!  A quiet day for us - DH Richard is doing his week's worth of laundry and catching up with the local newspapers.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #66 on: February 18, 2007, 09:33:51 AM »

And now, off to work I go!

Miss Karen

« Reply #67 on: February 18, 2007, 09:36:50 AM »

Oh, DR ELmo -- I came across a sympathy card and in addition to the message, there was this little quote in the corner:
"The Lord is nigh unto all them that call unto Him." ~ Psalm 145:18

Thinking about the Lord being "nigh" made me laugh because of course I thought about The Brain, and then your delightful orchestras, and..oh, well, you get my point...

... anyway...since it seemed the time was "nigh" and the card has the right karma, it's the one you're gonna get even though it has this "stupid, stupid, stupid" butterfly and vase of flowers artwork  on front and the 50s style greeting card typeface inside...hey, it's retro and filled with good Brain-vibe, time-is-nigh, and Lord-is-nigh Karma....

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #68 on: February 18, 2007, 09:42:30 AM »

My uncle, GaGa's son, said that she had taught us all how to whistle REALLY LOUD. He said, "How loud would that be?" and my uncle produced an ear-splitting whistle. Then the rest of us started whistling, too. (She had taught us all, and we used to whistle for each other to call in for supper or just to find each other.) I can't imagine what other people in the cemetary thought, but to us is was cathartic and a tribute to the funny woman that we had loved so much.

DR edisaurus, that's a great story!  I'm certain if I had started whistling or telling funny stories about my dad at the cemetary, the Macbeths who are struggling mightily to escape their white trash roots would have buried me instad of my dad.  Actually Lady M's white trash background is lower than ours (Oh, God, I sound like Margaret Meade!).  So I'll tell you all a funny story about my dad from last year.  If I already told this, I apologize, but it's very typical of him.

Through vanity or discomfort, he hardly ever wore his hearing aid or glasses, although he'd had laser surgery in one eye about a year ago and he could see clearly out of one eye.  So, he announced on my last visit in November, that I was to take him to renew his driver's license.  JoAnn said to him, take your hearing aid and glasses, so of course he didn't.  I believe I told you of our hair-raising search last year for a hearing aid battery.

So I drove him - complaining about my driving all the way - to the BMV, where a young scrawny boy of around 21, who turned out to be a friend of my nephew Cory, took my dad's application.  Every question was repeated at least once, and I often had to yell the question into my dad's ear.  At one point the clerk asked, "Mr Moore, would you look into the screen and read what you see out of your left eye." My dad asked him to repeat, and he did.  And my dad's answer after analyzing what he thought he'd heard, was something to the effect of "Yes, I wore shoes."

Surprisingly he got his license renewed, and on theway out he told me he'd be back in three years to renew it.  
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #69 on: February 18, 2007, 09:47:43 AM »

One of my favorite childhood memories is of watching Mary Martin playing Peter Pan on the television, particularly the moment when Peter stands up in front of Wendy and sings "I've got a scrotum!  (Err-err-err-errrrr!)"

According to the gossip I've heard on Ms Martin and Ms Duncan, it's entirely   possible!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #70 on: February 18, 2007, 09:47:50 AM »

Bert I Gordon has four daughters, that I know of.

You mean, that *he* knows of? (Old joke...I know...)
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #71 on: February 18, 2007, 10:02:37 AM »

Good Morning!  Good Afternoon!

I slept in until Noon - well, 11:57am to be exact.  Ah, sleep.

And as an experiment last night, I turned off the radiator in my room, and, lo and behold, I was never really cold last night.  I think there was enough heat from the feeder pipe, and my down comforter really does its job well.  I'll give it one more night to see how really comfortable I am.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #72 on: February 18, 2007, 10:03:07 AM »

-Did my previous post make any sense at all?!?!?  Maybe I need some coffee.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #73 on: February 18, 2007, 10:04:02 AM »

As for "Gasp Moments"...  I'm wondering if we'll need a bunch of SPOILER ALERTS throughout the day.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #74 on: February 18, 2007, 10:04:26 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.  The sky is white and so am I.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #75 on: February 18, 2007, 10:06:01 AM »

I caught the track mistake late in the game and fixed it on the inlay card.  However, if memory serves, the list inside the booklet is not the same because I think I only put musical numbers there.  I don't remember, but we didn't have time to fix both as I recall.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #76 on: February 18, 2007, 10:06:32 AM »

DR elmore - Glad to hear that everything is going well so far in Ohio.  I know that you have plenty to take care of while you're there, but do you have any idea when you might be heading back to NYC?  I need to plan the Welcome Home Dinner!

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #77 on: February 18, 2007, 10:06:48 AM »

Bert I. Gordon has four daughters, three from his marriage to Flora Gordon and one from his second marriage (Christina).  Two daughters were at the show.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #78 on: February 18, 2007, 10:06:59 AM »

And two daughters weren't.

Ginny

« Reply #79 on: February 18, 2007, 10:14:03 AM »

Yay!  DR Elmore's coming over this afternoon and bringin' me a Brain to borrow!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2007, 10:15:28 AM by Ginny »
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #80 on: February 18, 2007, 10:15:25 AM »

DR edisaurus - Lovely story about your GaGa.
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #81 on: February 18, 2007, 10:15:39 AM »

Ginny will have a Brain now!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #82 on: February 18, 2007, 10:16:40 AM »

The sun wants to come out but the white is making it difficult.  If you are a didactic person and you take a drive are you an autodidact?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #83 on: February 18, 2007, 10:18:25 AM »

DR elmore - Something tells me the Macbeth's still keep cans of Cream of Mushroom Soup and bags of Potato Chip Crumbs in their cupboard.
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #84 on: February 18, 2007, 10:19:49 AM »

Ginny will have a Brain now!

Only as long as DR Elmore's in the house!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #85 on: February 18, 2007, 10:22:49 AM »

Here is an interesting thing:  If I'm on this site via AOL, occasionally I will go to type in the quick reply box and I type and nothing goes in.  I then have to hit reply on a post and then it's fine.  That doesn't happen with any other browser and I find it peculiar - but then AOL and peculiar go together like a horse and carriage.

Ginny

« Reply #86 on: February 18, 2007, 10:22:58 AM »

Another Yay - the snowplow just went up our street!  Of course, that means that the mystery van is now buried even deeper.  I suggested to DH Richard that if it sits in front of our house long enough he can claim it for the American Legion Honor Guard, which is in desperate need of a new van.

Here's what I can see this afternoon out the window here by my computer desk:

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #87 on: February 18, 2007, 10:24:26 AM »

I shall hold my jog until later.

FJL

« Reply #88 on: February 18, 2007, 10:24:33 AM »

Ate at an Italian restaurant called Sam's in Brooklyn, where the waiter was a real character.  Example: we asked what he recommended for dessert and he said kinolis, but they didn't serve them there, he meant from this place down the street.  

Huge portions, and quite good. Just had some of the leftovers.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #89 on: February 18, 2007, 10:25:54 AM »

After carrying lots of heavy boxes, and cases of wine, I am very sore today. I can tell I've not been to the gym for quite some time!

Edi, have you ever tried a hot bath with a cupful of Epsom salts? Some people swear by it.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13   Go Up