Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: WHAT TAKES MY FANCY  (Read 46062 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:WHAT TAKES MY FANCY
« Reply #90 on: February 18, 2007, 10:27:16 AM »

Ate at an Italian restaurant called Sam's in Brooklyn, where the waiter was a real character.  Example: we asked what he recommended for dessert and he said kinolis, but they didn't serve them there, he meant from this place down the street.  

Huge portions, and quite good. Just had some of the leftovers.

The reminds me of my favorite flight attendant:

"Please return your seats to the upright and most uncomfortable position as we prepare for landing."

"I will now be lowering the cabin light to make myself more attractive to you."

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #91 on: February 18, 2007, 10:27:53 AM »

I would volunteer to try out several hundred of them.  ;D

;D

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #92 on: February 18, 2007, 10:31:05 AM »

Ah, yes, It's the Year of the Boar (or Pig if you prefer).

Hmmm... I wonder what it's like in Chinatown today?  I could use some Moon Cake today.  Yum!
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #93 on: February 18, 2007, 10:32:35 AM »

Last night, DRs MBarnum and MusicGuy were discussing a HHW get together in NYC the week of June 25.  DH Richard and I are going to Washington, DC on June 22 or 23 to attend the American Library Association annual conference and had planned to vacation there for the rest of that week.  But, we had also been talking about a jaunt from there to New York, too, so maybe we'll leave DC when the conference is over and spend the rest of the week in the Big Apple.  I'm not due back to work until July 5.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #94 on: February 18, 2007, 10:38:19 AM »

Another Yay - the snowplow just went up our street!  Of course, that means that the mystery van is now buried even deeper.  I suggested to DH Richard that if it sits in front of our house long enough he can claim it for the American Legion Honor Guard, which is in desperate need of a new van.

Here's what I can see this afternoon out the window here by my computer desk:

DR GINNY, I can't quite tell if the icicles are inside or outside. Oh, that's right: it was DR JOSE who turned his heat off.

(Don't mind me. My sense of humor is a bit strange at times.)

Ginny

« Reply #95 on: February 18, 2007, 10:39:49 AM »

DR GINNY, I can't quite tell if the icicles are inside or outside. Oh, that's right: it was DR JOSE who turned his heat off.

(Don't mind me. My sense of humor is a bit strange at times.)

LOL, DR Jeanne!  It did rain in our upstairs bathroom once - that's when we knew it was time for a new roof.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #96 on: February 18, 2007, 10:41:05 AM »

Another Yay - the snowplow just went up our street!  Of course, that means that the mystery van is now buried even deeper.  I suggested to DH Richard that if it sits in front of our house long enough he can claim it for the American Legion Honor Guard, which is in desperate need of a new van.

Here's what I can see this afternoon out the window here by my computer desk:

Perhaps the owners of the van won't be able to find it. A white van buried in snow?

Whenever it snows here one of my fears is that I'll dig out my car, only to learn that it wasn't my car after all! I dug out the wrong car!

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #97 on: February 18, 2007, 10:46:25 AM »

Like DR MBARNUM and was it JRAND?, one of the things that strikes me about the BRAIN is DR CASON'S fine singing. I was expecting a fine performance, but was pleasantly surprised even so.

KUDOS TO YOU, CASON!!

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #98 on: February 18, 2007, 10:51:38 AM »

Hmmm... I wonder what it's like in Chinatown today?  I could use some Moon Cake today.  Yum!

The Year of the Boar? Oh, groan. I thought I'd gotten all the boars/bores out of my life. I don't think I have enough patience these days for another one.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2007, 10:52:04 AM by Jeanne »

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #99 on: February 18, 2007, 10:52:45 AM »

A Moon Cake? That conjures up some strange images.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #100 on: February 18, 2007, 11:07:44 AM »

A Moon Cake? That conjures up some strange images.

Here's the proper image for you:

Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #101 on: February 18, 2007, 11:09:37 AM »

DR elmore - Glad to hear that everything is going well so far in Ohio.  I know that you have plenty to take care of while you're there, but do you have any idea when you might be heading back to NYC?  I need to plan the Welcome Home Dinner!

DR Jose, I hope by the weekend I can return.  I'll know more after talking to the attorney this week.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ginny

« Reply #102 on: February 18, 2007, 11:09:44 AM »

... Librarians who ban books are not worthy of the name.

They also failed to learn one of the first lessons of intellectual freedom:  the more a work is censored the more demand will increase.  Want to get kids to read a particular book?  Just tell them they can't!  The same principle even played out here in Cincinnati over the Mapplethorpe exhibit:  the show had record attendance and the Contemporary Art Center broke all records that year for new and renewing memberships.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #103 on: February 18, 2007, 11:10:22 AM »

I believe I'm going to bundle up and head out for a bit for a bit of wandering.  I'm thinking I may just stick to the Upper West Side today.  With the service interruptions on the weekends lately, it's just about as fast to walk downtown from uptown as it is to take the train.  Besides, I have a particular bakery mind.  ;)  And I could use the walk too.
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #104 on: February 18, 2007, 11:12:20 AM »

DR elmore - Something tells me the Macbeth's still keep cans of Cream of Mushroom Soup and bags of Potato Chip Crumbs in their cupboard.

If she cooked.  Lady M's attitude is that she did that on her first marriage for her husband and children.  Now she doesn't.  My brother most often cooks, so I suspect it's mainly burgers and beer!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #105 on: February 18, 2007, 11:12:26 AM »

DR Jose, I hope by the weekend I can return.  I'll know more after talking to the attorney this week.

HOO and RAY!  -Although, I may be heading back down to DC and Richmond this weekend to take care of the last bit of stuff I still have down there - and to also give the car way (finally!).  In any case, since my kitchen wares are now unpacked, I might as well put them to good use sometime next week.

Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #106 on: February 18, 2007, 11:16:20 AM »

But before I go...

I was just re-watching this past week's "Grey's Anatomy" with one of my roomies - courtesy of the DVR.  Does anyone else think the story-telling was a bit off this week?  -Well, even going back to last week's first part of the three-parter.  It just seemed like there were too many random things, and the flow of the show, well, just didn't flow.  And with the "devastating conclusion" coming up next week.... ???

-And that little girl?!??!?

However, I did think it was smart of ABC to rerun the bomb episodes from last season this past Friday night as a sort of refresher course.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #107 on: February 18, 2007, 11:17:37 AM »

Of course, maybe everything will get tied up nicely with a bow this week, but still...  -My roommates and I found ourselves laughing a few times, especially in regards to Meredith's timeline.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #108 on: February 18, 2007, 11:19:02 AM »

OH!

And don't forget, "Grease: You're The One That I Want" is on tonight at 8:02! ???

And the guest judge tonight is former Danny (from the Rosie/Weissler revival), Jon Secada...

And they'll be singing duets tonight...

:-\
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #109 on: February 18, 2007, 11:19:47 AM »

OK... Time to venture out into the Big City...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #110 on: February 18, 2007, 11:24:12 AM »

Of course, maybe everything will get tied up nicely with a bow this week, but still...  -My roommates and I found ourselves laughing a few times, especially in regards to Meredith's timeline.

I agree that they should have done something with "time" like suprimposing "5 minutes ago" on one scene and then "5 minutes ago on the next scene"....to indicate that they were showing us different events that took place during the same period of time.  It was bad enough poor Meredith spent a week in the water "in limbo", as it were, but the entire show made it seem like she was in the water for about 40 minutes before they got her out.  That wasn't the intent, I suspect.

I really loved they brought Kyle Chandler back (bomb squad dude) and Denny back for that last scene.

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #111 on: February 18, 2007, 11:26:10 AM »

If she cooked.  Lady M's attitude is that she did that on her first marriage for her husband and children.  Now she doesn't.  My brother most often cooks, so I suspect it's mainly burgers and beer!

Fated to be mated....

Each deserving of the other.....

Possibly driven to one another by minions of misery....
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #112 on: February 18, 2007, 11:35:05 AM »

I've been totally MESMERIZED by various/sundry movies on my plasma HDTV.

I put in "There's No Business Like Show Business" and did a quickie tour...focusing on the musical numbers.

WOWZER!

SENSORY OVERLOAD!

Everything is SO big...and so clear...amazing.

I was watching a non-widescreen, but digital transmission of "Frasier" the other night.

In one scene, Frasier entered his apartment....and there on the coffee table was this amazingly vibrant vase of tulips.  They just popped on the lower part of the screen.   Later, in another scene, Niles and Frasier are standing behind the couch and on the table behind them, next to the fireplace (to the right) was this fantastic glass bowl....one bright, vibrant color on the inside and a dark, vibrant color on the outside.

I've seen this episode several times....and NEVER noticed these items before.

I'm telling ya....discovering NEW things in old shows/films is gonna be a HUGE thrill...not to mention a time-consuming endeavor.

And to think many young folks...and soon, older folks, too...just take all this for granted.

Some days I feel like I was born in the dark ages.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #113 on: February 18, 2007, 11:42:06 AM »

I am ashamed of myself for grinning about this on a Sunday.

Be a good girl and hold your glee.

Tomorrow - laugh your ass off ;D

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #114 on: February 18, 2007, 01:13:08 PM »

They also failed to learn one of the first lessons of intellectual freedom:  the more a work is censored the more demand will increase.  Want to get kids to read a particular book?  Just tell them they can't!  The same principle even played out here in Cincinnati over the Mapplethorpe exhibit:  the show had record attendance and the Contemporary Art Center broke all records that year for new and renewing memberships.

Around here (the Olympia, WA area, in general), I've seen more than just a few bumper stickers that say:  I READ BANNED BOOKS!

;)

« Last Edit: February 18, 2007, 01:15:02 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #115 on: February 18, 2007, 01:13:35 PM »

Save My Jog till Later

That is the title of my new musical.  And I am going to cast it via a reality TV show:  You're the One that I Jump.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #116 on: February 18, 2007, 01:13:46 PM »

TAR ALL STARS EDITION begins to night.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #117 on: February 18, 2007, 01:14:00 PM »

Watching some exhibition skating.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #118 on: February 18, 2007, 01:14:08 PM »

Here's the proper image for you:

Mmmm...that looks real good! :D

Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #119 on: February 18, 2007, 01:14:31 PM »

Wonder how if I LOVE LUCY looks any different when broadcast in HD?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13   Go Up