Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down

Author Topic: WHAT ELSE CAN I TELL YOU?  (Read 23431 times)

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
Re:WHAT ELSE CAN I TELL YOU?
« Reply #210 on: January 02, 2004, 10:51:37 PM »

Pogue's movie reports:...It just seems like that kind of a day.  Just back from seeing COLD MOUNTAIN, which I enjoyed.  It was nice to see Jude Law play someone who is not necessarily cold and distant for a change and lots of nice vingettes.  All very well-performed. Rene Zellewegger exceptionally good.  CM is certainly better than Minghella's butt-numbing English Patient was.

Caught RETURN OF THE KING earlier this week and generally enjoyed it.  Note:  Other than the Hobbit, I have never read Tolkien, though I've owned the books since they first came out.  But as I was watching the movie, seeing the next "battle to end all battles" or Frodo being seduced by the evil power of the ring yet again or Samwise (the true hero, for my money) saving Frodo from his ill-advised decisions one more time and keeping his bacon outta the fire and generally carrying his hobbit butt all through the movie, I did find it a little long and repetitive.  I mean after Gollum has yet another dialogue between himself about "his precious", you want to say "I got the idea already, press on, shall we?"

I was also reminded of a story about Tolkien...

Apparently he and his university cronies would occasionally gather and read excerpts from their latest work...One day Tolkien began to read from his epic-in-progress and a stentorian voice was heard to groan in the back of the room, "Oh...not another fucking elf!"  At one point in the movie when yet one more time CGI minions spread across a interminably vast widescreen battlefield, I leaned over to my wife and whispered, "Oh...not another fucking epic battle."

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #211 on: January 02, 2004, 11:06:07 PM »

Had a busy day today and am off to relax with a book or maybe even mindless TV. I don't want to take on DR Pogue, the master of debate and clever vitriol, but I couldn't disagree more about Ms. Zellweger in COLD MOUNTAIN. I thought she was channeling Doris Day as Calamity Jane, and not very well, either. It was, for me, one of those performances which was constantly drawing attention to the fact that it was ever so brilliant. Acting with a capital "A"!
Now I know that she'll be nominated for and perhaps may even win a ton of major awards, but  that's my humble opinion, DR's.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2004, 11:14:06 PM by Panni »

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #212 on: January 02, 2004, 11:09:45 PM »

Thank you for the Sunshine vibes!  As of now they aren't kicking in...but I have high hopes for tomorrow!

Swish - I kinda wish this computer would commit suicide.  It would definitely be a mercy killing.  Luckily said machine is not mine, and in a few days I will be rid of it and back to using my brand spanking new laptop...and all will be right with the world. :)

Charles Pogue

« Reply #213 on: January 02, 2004, 11:10:48 PM »

Gee, Panni, she reminded me of some of my relatives in them thar parts.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #214 on: January 02, 2004, 11:18:50 PM »

I am home from the theater.  We had a fairly nice house tonight (3/4) considering all the dire predictions of snow and freezing temperatures which normally sends Western Washingtonians scurrying to their neighborhood Safeway Store to stock up on batteries and cans of Tomato Soup.  Actually, I think it is probably the only time during the year that people ever buy Campbell's Tomato Soup.

Only two more possible performances of Oliver and then my pocket-picking days will be over.  The weather bureau is still saying two to six inches of snow between tonight and tomorrow which could bring the entire Western half of the state to a standstill, in which case I may have already reviewed my last situation!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #215 on: January 02, 2004, 11:20:10 PM »

Question: Why does it not say "Applaud or Boo" under my Karma sign? I need more Karma!! I'm a Karma junkie. Karma between the toes. But how do I get it, if it can't be given (or taken)? Am I not understanding something here or has a horrible, egregious error been made?

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #216 on: January 02, 2004, 11:26:16 PM »

Panni: You cannot give yourself Karma. You can only give to others. So when I look at your name, right below your Karma level are the two buttons. I see that on every post but my own. It's kind of "cheating" if you give YOURSELF karma. You can only give to others.

I'd give you a karma, but I already have in the last 3 days. :)
...Walk in the sunshine...

Tomovoz

« Reply #217 on: January 02, 2004, 11:26:30 PM »

Welcome DR Robin. I have it on good authority that at least two of the Hainsies are actually sane. You have probably worked that out already. Catch phrase?
td: Shall check it out. Thanks.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Charles Pogue

« Reply #218 on: January 02, 2004, 11:28:59 PM »

I see the applaud/boo under your sign, Panni, but not mine...maybe we don't see it under our own sign so we can't ply our own ballot box, as it were...

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #219 on: January 02, 2004, 11:29:43 PM »

Jose: It was kind of randomly put in the end of a post yesterday, so you easily missed it, but are you going to be playing at Mamma Mia on January 18th?

Sorry, SwishySarah - I did see your original question, I just lost track of answering it.

Unfortunately, I will not be in the pit of Mamma Mia! on the night of Sunday, January 18.  Instead, I will most likely be somewhere on I-95 heading back with my friend Steve from a whirlwind, theatre-filled five day trip up to NYC.  *And the car will be full since we've already decided to stop in one of the IKEAs on the way back down to Richmond. ;)

Hope you enjoy the show - it really is a lot of fun - even if it is mindless fun.  And be sure to bring your dancing shoes!

And before I forget - Welcome DR PennyO and DR RobinAnderson!
Make Your Own Luck.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #220 on: January 02, 2004, 11:31:03 PM »

Well, Tomovoz, welcome home from the birthday shindig.  Was Desdemona glad to see her Uncle Tom?
“One thing’s universal,

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #221 on: January 02, 2004, 11:31:04 PM »

OH - DR Tomovoz - Has my package arrived yet?  Just wunderin'...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #222 on: January 02, 2004, 11:34:11 PM »

Hmmm... A nice bunch of late night readers/posters/lurkers/etc.  Of course, I always wonder who is really "Logged", or just "here" because they checked the "always stay logged in" box.  Hmmm....
Make Your Own Luck.

Tomovoz

« Reply #223 on: January 02, 2004, 11:34:15 PM »

DR Jose: no mail deliveries here since Wednesday! No mail. No.
TCB. the child was excited with the spindle I gave her as a present. The mother is looking for a lilac fairy to save the day. Are you free?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2004, 11:36:52 PM by Tomovoz »
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #224 on: January 02, 2004, 11:36:24 PM »

That Panni is always SO busy - busy days, busy days.

Pogue, et al: I couldn't get fifty pages into the novel Cold Mountain, so I have stayed away from the film.  Perhaps I'll see it.  I run hot and cold on Miss Zellwegger.

Just finished Pirates of the Caribbean - good yarn, lots of fun, fifteen minutes too long and one of the most mind-numbingly awful scores I've ever heard.  I kept praying for a theme - my kingdom for a theme - but all I got was pounding.  Excellent performances all around - Depp was fun in his weird and strange way, Rush was terrific, as always, always good to see Jonathan Pryce, and the two young leads were also fine.  Very enjoyable overall.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #225 on: January 02, 2004, 11:36:38 PM »

Forgive me for not mentioning this sooner:

Welcome to HHW, PennyO and Robin!
“One thing’s universal,

Tomovoz

« Reply #226 on: January 02, 2004, 11:38:08 PM »

I think I welcomed Penny O the other day. Apologies if I didn't. Once again welcome. New blood appeases the gods.
James Thurber 1957

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #227 on: January 02, 2004, 11:38:56 PM »

DR Jose: no mail deliveries here since Wednesday! No mail. No.
TCB. the child was excited with the spindle I gave her as a present. The mother is looking for a lilac fairy to save the day. Are you free?

No, but I am reasonable.
“One thing’s universal,

Tomovoz

« Reply #228 on: January 02, 2004, 11:42:02 PM »

If you are beyond our financial budget a man in purple tights might have to do the trick. I think Lilac is preferable.
James Thurber 1957

Jason

« Reply #229 on: January 02, 2004, 11:42:26 PM »

How rude of me: Welcome to PennyO and RobinAnderson! Nice to have you here...bring your friends!

Andrea

« Reply #230 on: January 02, 2004, 11:44:23 PM »

Hello PennyO!

As Emily is providing the narrative of our trip, I'll be filling in personal little comments that she doesn't mention.

So, just for DR Jennifer, my border crossing story.

Him: Anybody?
Me: hand him my passport
Him: looks at my passport and hands it back
Him: Anybody
Me: is that it?
Him: yes

And so I go on my merry/marry/mary way to wait for DR Emily and Robin who took forever.

Andrea

« Reply #231 on: January 02, 2004, 11:45:31 PM »

Oh, and Andrea...thank you for the compliment. You're quite visually pleasing as well. :D

Flattery will get you karma...

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #232 on: January 02, 2004, 11:46:28 PM »

Purple tights notwithstanding, I think Brother Jed might be miffed at being branded a fairy -- lilac or otherwise.
“One thing’s universal,

Tomovoz

« Reply #233 on: January 02, 2004, 11:50:25 PM »

So DR Jed has gone back into his School closet again? Did I mention fairy and Jed? I said MAN in purple tights.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2004, 11:51:19 PM by Tomovoz »
James Thurber 1957

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #234 on: January 02, 2004, 11:51:45 PM »

I hope you will forgive this vanity post, but I didn't want to end the evening on my 666 post.
“One thing’s universal,

Jed

« Reply #235 on: January 02, 2004, 11:53:49 PM »

Jed: haha! Your post made me laugh so much! However, I'm sorry to say that I think I've forgotten how to flirt. Oh woe is me! Btw, you forgot Swish--is that because she's jailbait? Heeheehee :) (I love ya, Swish!)

Exactly!  Sorry, Sarah, but the Washington State Office of the Superintendant of Public Instruction frowns upon jailbait. :)

Oh, and "forgotten how to flirt"???  We just need to give you some practice, dearie. :D
« Last Edit: January 02, 2004, 11:56:34 PM by Jed »
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #236 on: January 02, 2004, 11:53:57 PM »

So DR Jed has gone back into his School closet again? Did I mention fairy and Jed? I said MAN in purple tights.

Where I come from, Mister, there is only one man in purple tights.
“One thing’s universal,

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #237 on: January 02, 2004, 11:54:04 PM »

Last call, last call - eight minutes to new notes and discussion topic.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #238 on: January 02, 2004, 11:57:27 PM »

Last call, last call - eight minutes to new notes and discussion topic.

OK, OK!  Stop ringing that darn bell, and could you turn down the lights too - who knew it could get so bright in here?!!?!
Make Your Own Luck.

Tomovoz

« Reply #239 on: January 03, 2004, 12:00:12 AM »

For those who know the score of "The Full Monty": a line change for OZ audiences.  Kate Smith became Dame Edna!
James Thurber 1957
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up