Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: YAWN  (Read 34080 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:YAWN
« Reply #60 on: February 21, 2007, 07:57:31 AM »

DR MBarnum, DR Ron Pulliam stated exactly what I was TRYING to say in my multiple posts last night. A poor looking film on DVD on a regular TV is going to look a lot worse on an HDTV because the TV's capabilities will magnify the bad points. Old TVs had such low resolution that flaws could be hidden because they were fine for low resolution sources and just blurred away problems on the disc.

But new TVs accentuate flaws because they have the ability to be super sharp.

So, the bottom line is, if the DVD looks merely passable on your current set-up, you can't expect anything better (and you might get a lot worse) when showing it on an HDTV. The better the quality of the DVD, the better it will look on HDTV.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #61 on: February 21, 2007, 07:59:53 AM »

Page Three Hercules Dance!!!

Matt H.

« Reply #62 on: February 21, 2007, 08:01:46 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Happy Birthday[/move]

[move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%]DR Matthew !!![/move]

Matt H.

« Reply #63 on: February 21, 2007, 08:03:02 AM »

If I don't get anything new DVD-wise in the mail today, I think I may put in THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD. I haven't seen it in awhile, and I want to luxuriate in the vivid Technicolor.

Of course, I have four one hour drama shows from last night to get through this afternoon. They get first priority.

Matt H.

« Reply #64 on: February 21, 2007, 08:03:39 AM »

New episodes of MEDIUM and LOST tonight, so that's something good on the way.

Matt H.

« Reply #65 on: February 21, 2007, 08:06:07 AM »

Glad to see that everyone on message baords I read this morning seems to be in agreement about the train wreck on AMERICAN IDOL last night. Only a couple of guys seem to have gotten through unscathed. Blake seemed to have the most support on the boards that I read though Phil was also strong.

Most everyone agreed that Sundance and Sunjaya did themselves no favors. And others were thinking Chris S. might have turned off the audience by talking back to Simon so early in the competition. I agree that it was a bad, bad move on his part.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2007, 08:07:21 AM by Matt H. »

Jennifer

« Reply #66 on: February 21, 2007, 08:12:53 AM »

Happy Birthday DR Matthew!!!!!!!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #67 on: February 21, 2007, 08:15:00 AM »

[move=down,scroll,6,transparent,100%] B a l l o o n s ! [/move]

[move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%] C a k e ! [/move]

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%][size=8]Happy Natal Day, Matthew![/size][/color][/move]

[move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%] P r e s e n t s ! [/move]

[move=up,scroll,6,transparent,100%] B u b b l y ! [/move]
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #68 on: February 21, 2007, 08:15:35 AM »

In response to Jane's query of yesterday:

ASSOCIATED PRESS
Dog Helps Save Stranded Mount Hood Climbers
Tuesday , February 20, 2007

GOVERNMENT CAMP, Ore.  —

Thanks to a high-tech electronic gadget and a big warm dog named Velvet, three climbers rescued after a harrowing fall and a night in the wind and cold high on Mount Hood are expected to be fine.

They were found at about the 7,400-foot level on Monday and hiked down the mountain with their rescuers.

"I'm really glad they were there for us," Matty Bryant, one of the three climbers, said of the rescue teams. "They did an incredible job. They were amazing."

Searchers credited the group's rescue to two things — Velvet, a black Labrador mix who provided warmth as the three climbers huddled under sleeping bags and a tarp, and the activation of an emergency radio beacon the size of a sunglasses case that guided them to the group.

Then he saw the group of three — all roped together with Velvet — disappear over an icy ledge.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

FJL

« Reply #69 on: February 21, 2007, 08:16:43 AM »

Happy happy birthday to DR Matthew!  A great year lies ahead for you, I'm sure.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #70 on: February 21, 2007, 08:17:35 AM »

If I don't get anything new DVD-wise in the mail today, I think I may put in THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD. I haven't seen it in awhile, and I want to luxuriate in the vivid Technicolor.

Of course, I have four one hour drama shows from last night to get through this afternoon. They get first priority.

Well, let me say this about the Alice Faye box.  The box has slimline cases.  There are no reproductions of lobby cards as in the Grable set.

There are one-sheet inserts in the boxes....well, three of the boxes.  Inexplicably, my box for "On the Avenue" had no insert.

I watched portions of "The Gang's All Here."  What looked great looked spectacular.  But there are sections of the film that look dreadful.  And that's inexplicable, too, since the Laserdisc is uniformly beautiful.

I was disappointed.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jennifer

« Reply #71 on: February 21, 2007, 08:17:49 AM »

Glad to see that everyone on message baords I read this morning seems to be in agreement about the train wreck on AMERICAN IDOL last night. Only a couple of guys seem to have gotten through unscathed. Blake seemed to have the most support on the boards that I read though Phil was also strong.

Most everyone agreed that Sundance and Sunjaya did themselves no favors. And others were thinking Chris S. might have turned off the audience by talking back to Simon so early in the competition. I agree that it was a bad, bad move on his part.

I have not read any of the boards.  BUt it doesn't surprise me that Blake and phil have the most support. They were the two best last night (IMO). And people already know them.

I think Sundance and sunjaya struggled last night (although i actually sort oflike sundance). I thought sunjaya was really bad. But i am quite sure neither of these two are going anywhere.

DR RonP, you said you liked the last performer who you called chris. I'm guessing you meant phil (bald guy with baby). There are two guys named chris (the heavy guy with the mop top hair, and the just timberlake guy). I actually really like all 3 guys.

My prediction is: Blake, phil, chris and chris. Totally safe.

Brandon, sundance, sunjaya (who they featured on previous shows) safe.

Rudy, paul kim, nick, jared and aj all in trouble. I do not know these guys at all. And they were all bland. I wonder if they were not featured because they were bland. It still is not fair. One guy (i think jared) said america does not know him. And it's true. I can't remember ever seeing him.

I really don't get why they picked those 5 at all.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #72 on: February 21, 2007, 08:25:57 AM »

Yes, the last guy...Phil.  I'm not great with their names yet.

As for Chris Sligh talking back to Simon....I blame Ryan Seacrest for his baiting on that issue.

Ryan took quite a few Simon potshots last night.  And Paula looked like an idiot.  Whoever does her hair should be fired.

I'm getting really tired of Paula interrupting Simon.  More and more, Simon is absolutely DEAD-ON in his assessments of these performances.

Paula couldn't give an original opinion on anything.  She parrots Randy every time.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2007, 08:28:56 AM by Ron Pulliam »

MBarnum

« Reply #73 on: February 21, 2007, 08:33:59 AM »

A very merry birthday to DR Matthew!!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #74 on: February 21, 2007, 08:45:36 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up!

-And I'm jut finishing up my yogurt and granola for the morning...

And it looks like a beautiful day outside too!  I suspect a trip to Central Park this afternoon... Hmm...
Make Your Own Luck.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #75 on: February 21, 2007, 08:47:13 AM »

Good day to one and all....
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #76 on: February 21, 2007, 08:51:22 AM »

Mbarnum, you have a very lovely collection of different cards and I have enjoyed viewing what you have posted.
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #77 on: February 21, 2007, 08:52:19 AM »

Jose, have you ridden in the horse-drawn buggies they have in NYC?

Jennifer

« Reply #78 on: February 21, 2007, 08:53:04 AM »

For any TAR fans, here is an interesting interview with the eliminated team from this past week:

http://www.realitytvworld.com/news/interview-john-vito-and-jill-talk-about-their-amazing-adventure-4732.php
« Last Edit: February 21, 2007, 08:53:47 AM by Jennifer »

Matt H.

« Reply #79 on: February 21, 2007, 08:55:35 AM »

Off to scare up some lunch, and on to TV heaven with, especially, VERONICA MARS.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #80 on: February 21, 2007, 08:55:39 AM »

Rudy, paul kim, nick, jared and aj all in trouble. I do not know these guys at all. And they were all bland. I wonder if they were not featured because they were bland. It still is not fair. One guy (i think jared) said america does not know him. And it's true. I can't remember ever seeing him.

I really don't get why they picked those 5 at all.

Hmm... Well, those five guys may not have received multiple segments, but a couple of them were featured early on in their initial audition rounds, especially Nick Pedro due to his previous history with the show.  Even Blake has really not received that much coverage.  I think his talent is strong - and his beat-boxing has been his "hook" so far.

In general, I sense that a bunch of the finalists were chosen due to their backstory - whether or not we've seen them featured yet.  -I think the only reason Antonella made it was due to her best friend not making it.  The same goes for Sanjaya (in regards to his sister).  And I suspect Sundance was put through since they probably filmed a couple of segments about him, and they didn't want to waste that footage.

Although, as I mentioned last night, I believe nerves and how those nerves affected their song choices were the big culprits last night.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #81 on: February 21, 2007, 08:57:29 AM »

Jose, have you ridden in the horse-drawn buggies they have in NYC?

I don't think I ever have actually.  It just doesn't interest me.  However, I was surprised at how relatively reasonably priced the carriage rides are - at least in off-season.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #82 on: February 21, 2007, 08:58:08 AM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DR MATTHEW!!!

So... Who's making the cake?  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #83 on: February 21, 2007, 09:00:11 AM »

And a final bit of "AI" talk...

...And just keep in mind all those contestants who were featured who did NOT make it to the final 24.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2007, 09:01:04 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #84 on: February 21, 2007, 09:03:21 AM »

DR elmore - Maybe I missed it... And I know you mentioned your USAirways woes... But do you have a return date set yet?
Make Your Own Luck.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #85 on: February 21, 2007, 09:04:06 AM »

MattH, do you know if Veronica mars would be online?  I have never seen it.

I have seen clips of House. NOt a bad show.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #86 on: February 21, 2007, 09:06:53 AM »

THey are the embodiment of all caloric evil but gosh darnit they are quite tasty!

I can't remember which company makes them, but I've come across a similar confection before.  However, to gild the lily even more, they first put a layer of peanut butter on the potato chip, and then dip it in chocolate.

Sugar-Shock anyone?
Make Your Own Luck.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #87 on: February 21, 2007, 09:10:16 AM »

They've announced the new contestants for the next Dancing With The Stars.  Looks like an interesting group.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #88 on: February 21, 2007, 09:12:02 AM »

MY ASK BK

I am wondering if The Creature Wasn't Nice aka Spaceship aka Naked Space is in public domain? In fixing the site I discovered several different DVD covers (ALL Naked Space)

Apparently it is - well, at least Naked Space is.  The Creature Wasn't Nice has never been released and I have claimed ownership of it and that is why we'll be releasing our own DVD of the Director's Cut and the release version.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #89 on: February 21, 2007, 09:14:14 AM »

ASK BK:

Did you ever have a dream before you woke up and it was so vivid that you wrote it down thinking it might be a good idea for a movie (or play)?

In the late 80s I'd do that pretty regularly, not necessarily whole ideas, but scenes or dialogue I thought particularly brilliant - of course, one of two things happened - either I couldn't read my nocturnal scribblings or whatever I wrote was mind bogglingly awful.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12   Go Up