Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: CONNIPTION FIT  (Read 33358 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:CONNIPTION FIT
« Reply #60 on: February 22, 2007, 08:51:28 AM »

Now, as for "Lost"...

When I came in last night, my roommate was watching it, and I ended up seeing the last 35-40 minutes or so.  I need to watch it again sometime, probably this afternoon.  That's all for now.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #61 on: February 22, 2007, 08:55:02 AM »

And as for "Top Design"...

Why, oh, why! are they keeping that idiot "artiste" on the show?!?!?!?!?!?

However, I guess it's 'cool' that each contestant is judged on their performance for that week/challenge, rather than on past highs and lows.  I think.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #62 on: February 22, 2007, 08:56:25 AM »

Oh.... I guess I should be doing a Page Three Dance... so...

Shipoopi![/i][/b]
« Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 08:56:48 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #63 on: February 22, 2007, 08:58:35 AM »

Re: last night's LOST.

I actually liked the show.  I was glad to get to see kate/sawyer and also get to see what was happening with Jack and the others. I was a bit disappointed that kate/sawyer never got back to the island though. They really dragged that out.

I was okay seeing jack's backstory. Although i would rather get to see the backstory of different people. I really enjoyed seeing juliet's last week.

I like seeing jack interact with juliet and ben. I am very curious to see where they are going.  And i liked seeing alex get involved. And it was also interesting to see cindy the stewardess and some of the children.

I like the show last night as well.  And what I really liked was the Thai girl Jack met in his flashback.  WOW!  Was she a looker or what!  Whoever does the casting for this show is incredible.  The people they find--even for the smallest roles--are always spot dead-on.  I also liked Isabel ("The Sheriff").  I'm sure there will be future conflicts between her and Jack.

I wonder if they will ever bring back the mysterious Miss Clugh?
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #64 on: February 22, 2007, 08:58:52 AM »

Although it hasn't been publicly announced, word on the street is that Footlight is closing completely. The brick and mortar store is gone and at some point the Web site will be closing as well. There was a long discussion (and confirmation of the fact from two reliable sources) about the closing on CastRecL (a listserv devoted to musical theatre and film music).

I've thrown a couple of angry fits in public but I prefer to put them behind me and not talk about them any longer.

Well, I hope this isn't true - they are one of my best customers, and have just placed a Brain reorder - given the number of times they reorder titles I'd think they were doing okay.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #65 on: February 22, 2007, 09:00:21 AM »

Conniption/Hissy Fits:  Can't think of a more pertinent forum to discuss this!

I am, in many ways, like BK in my total disgust for incompetence where customer service should be a number one priority.  I base this observation on the many occasions when BK has reported situations in this forum of such incompetence.

I also appreciate "the other side" of the situation. There are folks out there who provide the customer service as well as it can be provided and they put up with quite a bit in customer "dullwittedness", customer "ignorance", and customer "disregard" for proper behavior, etc.  

I cannot tell you how much it makes me seethe to read about, or see TV shows/movies in which, people buy articles of clothing to wear one time and then take them back.  That's THEFT!

Ditto folks who make a smorgasbord of fruits and cookies and candies while they are shopping.  Items should not be consumed until AFTER they are paid for.  I have seen empty bags of cookies left lying on a shelf.

I generally recognize competence/professionalism, so I'm not talking about THOSE customer service representatives when I say we are currently besieged with far too many (possibly) well-intentioned but woefully underskilled, undereducated individuals who make a mockery of "service" in almost all respects.

I am not a fan of customer service representatives who also have telephones to answer.  I have stood in lines for more than 15 minutes -- and sometimes more than 30 minutes -- awaiting my turn to get something done, only to become first in line and then be interrupted by the service rep answering the telephone and giving that call -- and the caller's need -- priority over me.

I have not stood idly by and taken it, either.  I have directly addressed the rep after such a call and told him/her in no uncertain terms that the phone can either ring, or the caller can be told to hold.  I have been ignored and found it necessary to disconnect the incoming call with an index finger, much to the annoyance of the service rep.  I have always insisted that they call their supervisors should there be any confusion as to what I expected during "my turn" in line.

There are individuals out there who cannot, literally, walk and chew gum at the same time.  Many grocery checkout clerks can check you out, talk on the phone, make change for another clerk AND have someone do a price check without missing a beat.

They are rare...few and far between...and almost always in a line different from the one I'm in.  I get the one who seems seriously focused on what he/she is doing, and then someone asks a question and the eyes glaze over, the checkout ceases and it's moments before the clerk can reorient himself/herself to the task at hand.

What I truly hate more than anything is the persistent customer service rep who accosts you the moment you walk into a store.  Any time I actually have a question for one of them, they invariably don't know and have to find someone else, instructing me to "Wait here".  I've waited and waited and waited.  And then left.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 09:03:39 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #66 on: February 22, 2007, 09:00:27 AM »

And this is the joke that just came to my mind:

What's the Ancient Mariner's favorite side dish?
(I don't know...what IS the Ancient Mariner's favorite side dish?)

Samuel Taylor Coleslaw!  

And his favorite dog breed:

Samuel Taylor Coleridgebank

der Brucer

Favorite film:

Fast Times at Samuel Taylor Coleridgemont High
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #67 on: February 22, 2007, 09:02:46 AM »

FJL - love Phil Clark - what was he doing in your apartment?  Cowboy Buckaroo?

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #68 on: February 22, 2007, 09:02:53 AM »

Of course, if I'd just bought a new house and learned that lovely trees were then cut down to put up condos, like DR EDISAURUS just experienced, I think I would be seething mightily. Yes, I might very well have some sort of fit at that!

Well, that was a 2 year slow and agonizing conniption fit before they built those 5 story condos behind what was going to be our dream house. I did have a fit when I first learned of the plans and the evil scumbag who was the developer.

As for where we are living now---I had a big conniption fit in that very backyard about 4-5 years ago. It was the only time my DH had seen me really angry. I was so mad I was shaking. Here's what happened:

A local slumlord owned the acres of woods behind the house we have been living in. (I've been in this house for 27 years.) The woods had been home to vagrants and loads of trash. Instead of cleaning up these lots, after the slumlord got enough code violations, every few years he would bring a big bushhog out to the woods and mow down everything but the huge trees. There were gigantic specimen trees there, 5-6 ft wide oaks, etc. (Now they have been felled.) This wouldn't clean up the trash, it would just chop it up and cover it over. I looked into the slumlord's records and he had hundreds of code violations on about 60-70 rental properties.

The slumlord hired his landraper to clear out the woods one day, and told him to clear from the telephone pole to the house. But he didn't say WHICH house! So while we were at work, this guy totally moved down my huge curtains of porcelain berry vines, destroyed hundreds of daylilys that I had brought down from my grandfather's house in Ohio, and all the things we planted to encourage birds to visit us. They also cut down every tree under 6" in width.

Since I worked until after dark, I didn't realize this had happened until the next morning. I always have breakfast standing at my kitchen counter taking bird inventory. I looked out and it looked like a tornado had hit...there was nothing left but the big trees...all the vegetation was gone!

I saw some men down in the woods, so I went running down there. It was the slumlord and his land raper. They only clear half of my 1/2 acre yard because he'd had a flat tire, thank god. I was very angry, but I could have dealt with it if this slumlord had been the least bit apologetic. Instead, he said, "You should thank me. You got all your "weeds" cleared out for free"! These weeds were plants we had specifically chosen and hand planted as part of our backyard habitat. I told him that he had destroyed all my day lily beds, and he said "Oh, I mow over mine all the time and they come back. No big deal".

At this point I think I really could have strangled this guy--good thing my DH showed up. I had an arborist come out to asses the damages and he estimated the "cost of cure" at $10,000 to replant everything I'd lost. I started a lawsuit with him but my lawyer, who was doing this for free, dropped the ball. But now I'm tempted to try and go after some compensation, because if my tangle and trees were still there I wouldn't even be able to see the acres that were clear-cut, and the future condo owners wouldn't be able to see my house.

I'm not stressing out too much about the new clearcutting for the 3 story condos because we will be leaving this house soon and moving into Atlanta, but it sure doesn't make it appealing for anyone else to live there in the future.
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #69 on: February 22, 2007, 09:03:20 AM »

Oh, and I'm up.  Gray out, but not raining yet.  Rain would be nice, as its raining in my book.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #70 on: February 22, 2007, 09:03:44 AM »

I'm close to achieving my new plateau.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #71 on: February 22, 2007, 09:06:47 AM »

I'm close to achieving my new plateau.

I'll alert the media!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #72 on: February 22, 2007, 09:07:27 AM »

DR Jose, have you heard the Hugh Dancey gossip from his last movie set?  I'm jealous that you saw JOURNEY'S END.

Well... I'm just wondering what the audience "need" to this show will be like - even if the reviews turn out to be a "producer's dream".  With everything going on in the world today, I'm not sure how "popular" this play will be.  -Heck, I'm starting to tear up again just thinking about it...  But that's art.

But, No, I have not heard the gossip.  Do tell!
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #73 on: February 22, 2007, 09:07:53 AM »

I see a new Plateau.

Just watched some of SPRING AWAKENING on The View.  It is the only channel that can be received at The World of Wisdom....television wise, that is.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #74 on: February 22, 2007, 09:08:27 AM »

Waits for the Dancey gossip with DR JOSE.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #75 on: February 22, 2007, 09:09:04 AM »

DR  JOSE - you told me once, but I forget....is your named pronounced:

Ho - say  OR  Ho -zay?

MBarnum

« Reply #76 on: February 22, 2007, 09:09:51 AM »

Oh gosh DR Edisaurus...that incident was indeed conniption worthy! Just reading the post and how the slumlord was responding made me angry.

I would have to have that guys karma hit back in my next life!

MBarnum

« Reply #77 on: February 22, 2007, 09:10:53 AM »

I wish I could locate an actor named Burt Nelson. That is all.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #78 on: February 22, 2007, 09:13:05 AM »

I see a new Plateau.

Just watched some of SPRING AWAKENING on The View.  It is the only channel that can be received at The World of Wisdom....television wise, that is.

I just watched that too.

Jonathan Groff really is a cutie.  *And it was nice to see the swings on camera and in costume too.  -Although, I think the band was pre-recorded.  :-\
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #79 on: February 22, 2007, 09:13:49 AM »

« Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 09:14:01 AM by MBarnum »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #80 on: February 22, 2007, 09:14:12 AM »

DR  JOSE - you told me once, but I forget....is your named pronounced:

Ho - say  OR  Ho -zay?

Ho-Zay.

Emphasis on the "Ho".  ;)
*That was for you, DR elmore.  <MWAH>
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #81 on: February 22, 2007, 09:14:57 AM »

Now as for how to pronounce my last name, well, even after all these years, I'm still not sure where the proper emPHAsis goes.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #82 on: February 22, 2007, 09:17:22 AM »

Good morning!
DR Jose, I'll be arriving in New York from Thursday March 1 (arriving in the afternoon, seeing CURTAINS that night with various members of HHW) and leaving on Sunday morning.  CURTAINS and SPRING AWAKENING (Sat Mat) are the only plans I have right now.

Noted.

Hmm... Maybe I'll print out one of the discount vouchers for Curtains, and see if my day-of-at-the-box-office luck continues.
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #83 on: February 22, 2007, 09:17:43 AM »

Jrand, there's no link for the Deceit review - just amazon.com - dvd - Deceit.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #84 on: February 22, 2007, 09:21:08 AM »

I read JOURNEY'S END in high school, and since then it has been one of my favorite plays.  And yes, the ending is sombre and true....and inevitable, and all the more so because you have gotten to know these men.

And I have to say the sound designer did a wonderful, realistic job when it came to the sound of war.  -And since we were sitting right next to one of the speakers...

However, I am curious to investigate the technical aspects of past productions - at least the sound design/recreation.  The final moments of the play last night were truly chilling.
Make Your Own Luck.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #85 on: February 22, 2007, 09:23:58 AM »

Hi, y'all. Pretty cloudy and moist here today - yer ol' Auntie Pen feels mighty achey!

So i have a lovely weekend ahead: The CD release partay tomorrow night, and the opening night of Tannhauser at the Music Center on Saturday night. How very artsy my life is... in between the scads of authoritative and erudite papers I'm writing in this mad higher education frenzy of mine...
PennyO

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #86 on: February 22, 2007, 09:25:46 AM »

And just in case anyone is curious, here is the aforementioned Hugh Dancy as Robert Devereaux, Earl of Essex, in HBO's "Elizabeth I" - for which he received an Emmy nom.

Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #87 on: February 22, 2007, 09:29:14 AM »

Is that the brother of Jack Devereaux?

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #88 on: February 22, 2007, 09:29:22 AM »

Papers to finish by Monday: diagnoses, with supporting evidence, of various mental disorders of all main characters in SEX, LIES AND VIDEOTAPE; TRAINSPOTTING; MY NAME IS BILL W.

For Tuesday, outline of ten page paper on five aspects of human communication; and a modern formalist poem.

For next weekend, two counseling sessions - one each using Gestalt and Rational-Emotive therapies, plus evaluations of the effectiveness of my technique in each mode.
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #89 on: February 22, 2007, 09:30:44 AM »

Do his eyes seem just a tad too close together for Good Boy roles? I think he could play a rogue...
PennyO
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Up