Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15]   Go Down

Author Topic: RUNNING AMOK  (Read 35964 times)

MBarnum

Re:RUNNING AMOK
« Reply #420 on: February 25, 2007, 12:05:52 AM »

So Jose, what did you think of the movies?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #421 on: February 25, 2007, 12:13:33 AM »

As for the movies I saw today, here are some very brief thoughts....

"Babel" - I had no idea what this movie was about, and I'm glad I came into it that way.  I had heard that it was put together like "Crash" was, but that was about it.  I thoroughly enjoyed it, and even found myself crying at the end.  I would really love to know how it all was done, coordinated considering all the various locales and languages involved.

"The Queen" - Again, another movie I had no real idea about, except that it was about "the Queen", and the period after Princess Diana's death.  I marveled at the conjecture involved in creating the story. And then you had that juxtaposed with actual news footage from that time 10 years ago.

"The Departed" - I liked it the first time I saw it, and I liked it again this time too.  -And I really think Leonardo DiCaprio should have gotten nominated for this performance rather than the one in "Blood Diamond".

-Then came the 45-minute dinner break.

"Letter from Iwo Jima" - Again... All I really knew about this movie was that it was sort of a companion piece to "Flags of Our Fathers", and that it was in Japanese.  Like DR edisaurus (I think), I liked the movie but I thought it could have been a bit shorter.  -I guess Clint just likes to make long movies?  *What was really interesting was the conversation the two women next to us had after the movie: "I can't believe Clint Eastwood made that movie... It's so anti-American... Why is that movie even nominated? It's not even in English?... I hated it..."  -Etc., etc., etc..

And finally...

"Little Miss Sunshine" - The other movie that I had seen before today.  It held up well to a second viewing too.  However, I'm guessing a lot of people had already seen it before too... There were a lot of empty seats when the movie began, lots of people had left after "Letters".  But still some great laughs.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #422 on: February 25, 2007, 12:14:05 AM »

So Jose, what did you think of the movies?

Funny you should ask.. ;)

-Timing is everything.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #423 on: February 25, 2007, 12:22:26 AM »

And after viewing all five movies back to back, I'd have to say "Babel" will get the Best Picture statuette.  -Well, that's the one I liked the most today.

"Little Miss Sunshine" has a very slim chance - it's just too light in comparison to the other nominees.  And The Academy has rarely awarded "light".

"Letters" could take it if The Academy is feeling patriotic and/or anti-war.

"The Queen" - I think The Academy will give Helen Mirren the nod, but since the movie deals with England, The Academy may pass on the Best Picture award.

"The Departed" - Well, it was a remake of a Hong Kong(?) film, so...  But Scorsese could finally get the Director's award.

So... "Babel".

*And I have a feeling if "Dreamgirls" had gotten nominated, it probably would have won due to the popular vote.  IMHO.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #424 on: February 25, 2007, 12:23:10 AM »

And on that note... Low A (bottom of the keyboard)...

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15]   Go Up