Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: THE WILDE OSCAR PARTY  (Read 28692 times)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
Re:THE WILDE OSCAR PARTY
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2007, 05:59:40 AM »

Good morning, all!  When I went to bed, yesterday's posts were on page 30, so I will catch up on the remaining 39 pages today.  I still have no idea who or what won last night, and I can rememebr the days when I couldn't wait for the show, had seen all the nominations, and had an opinion.  those were the days.

I have very little planned today: a couple of charts, wait for deliveries of packages from Ohio, and begin a good clean up of my living space.

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2007, 06:06:42 AM »

Oy!  I'm going to try to catch up during the day.  Aside from the ten pages of posts that were added after I signed off last night, there's the twelve or so pages that I skipped when I just dove in.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2007, 06:29:10 AM »

And the word of the day is: SCINTILLESCENT!
As they watched the SCINTILLESCENT fireworks display together, Henry wondered if there would be similar sparks between himself and Eliza, or if their relationship would merely fade like the soft embers of her cigar.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Cillaliz

« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2007, 06:40:02 AM »

Answer to last night's Paper Chase question, the movie was Paper Chase, but the book was "One L" by Scott Turrow.  One L is what some schools call students in their firs year of law school. We just called them "First Years"

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2007, 06:48:46 AM »

THE PAPER CHASE--a great movie and a terrific TV series, even though it only lasted one season.  That would be a good complete series set to put out on DVD.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ginny

« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2007, 06:52:29 AM »

Monday morning greetings!  This is a work Monday for me and I feel more chipper than I should after staying at the partay so late last night.

Congratulations to DR Edi on her award for "Flan's Labyrinth."
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2007, 06:55:30 AM »

TOD

Burbank High School and "that other place" (a.k.a. Burroughs High) alternated each year for which school had the big musical production.  During my sophomore year, BHS (the good one) produced a danged good Music Man.  (The sets were so good, we rented them to other schools for years, making a nice little profit.)  

No stars in the show.  However, the son of the choral teacher, Mark Hall, had played Winthrop in a BHS production back when we were still in grade school.  Now, all these years later, he was in the show again, this time as Marcellus.  (He'd have looked funny in Winthrop's costume.)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2007, 07:17:48 AM »

Mmmfpppppppot.s....d,,,,,,,,,,,dddddddd.,zxmcnxxxxxxxxx.

....'morning'.................zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2007, 07:18:06 AM »

Is it Friday yet?
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2007, 07:18:31 AM »

Wait a minute...."Heroes" is on tonight.

Oooohhhhhhhhh!

FJL

« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2007, 07:19:41 AM »

So who was kicked off on GREASE last night?

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2007, 07:35:47 AM »

Shouldn't that be "Who got slicked off Grease last night?"

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2007, 07:36:08 AM »

And on, to work!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2007, 07:46:22 AM »

Will we never get to page two?

Naturally.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2007, 07:47:44 AM »

Good morning!

It's going to be nice today with temps in the high 50s and NO RAIN.

Matt H.

« Reply #45 on: February 26, 2007, 07:49:53 AM »

I didn't sleep well last night. This is typical for me the night after the Oscars whether my favorites won anything or not. Last year, of course, I barely got any sleep I was so angry and frustrated and disappointed. Even this year, though, with mostly the folks winning that I wanted to win (Jennifer Hudson, Alan Arkin, Martin Scorsese), I got less than six hours of sleep.

I had one of my school dreams except instead of the doofus principal I had during my last four or five years, George Clooney was the principal. Of course, if that HAD been true, I wouldn't be retired now!

Matt H.

« Reply #46 on: February 26, 2007, 07:51:02 AM »

I will watch the rest of GREASE that I saw the first half of last night, and then Friday's LAW & ORDER and last night's new episode of CROSSING JORDAN. I should be able to see all of these before prime time begins tonight.

Matt H.

« Reply #47 on: February 26, 2007, 07:51:58 AM »

Yes, there is a new episode of HEROES and also new episodes of the CBS comedies, CSI: MIAMI, and '24.'

NBC's THE BLACK DONNALLYS begins tonight, but I have no interest in watching it.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2007, 07:52:58 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.

Matt H.

« Reply #49 on: February 26, 2007, 07:53:08 AM »

I do hope the Alice Faye DVD set comes in the mail today. I was really expecting it last week. I'm also expecting three Criterion DVDs as well.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #50 on: February 26, 2007, 07:53:22 AM »

I got a reasonable but not long night of sleep.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #51 on: February 26, 2007, 07:56:11 AM »

I picked up some home grown soundtrack CDs yesterday, and do you know which of them is the most delightful (Agatha would be the most beautiful and Harper a second for delightful)?  Well, I'll tell you - Pat Williams' score for How Sweet It Is, a film I've never seen, with James Garner and Debbie Reynolds although now as I type this maybe I have seen it.  It's a real late-60s score and Williams is one of my favorite unsung film music people.  And the title song and one other song are by Jimmy Webb.

MusicGuy

• ...at an audition to accompany Guy Haines...
« Reply #52 on: February 26, 2007, 07:59:33 AM »

Good morning dear Esteemed and well-partayed BK --

"Well sir, you should have been there.  That's all I'm saying.... you should have been there!"  (any quote guesses?)

And the place to be was here in the Living Room at HHW.  Thank you for hosting a fun evening that made a really long and (often) boring broadcast bearable.

MusicGuy

« Reply #53 on: February 26, 2007, 08:04:21 AM »

And as to the quote last night from DR FJL ....

I find myself wondering what MusicGuy would do if Cason took him up on that offer to go to Europe, or for that matter if Tobey Maguire took him up on that offer with the butter.

Well, I'd have to book 3 seats on the plane, 'cause I know that Miss Karen would be there also, and probably with a flame-thrower, switchblade, and brass knuckles to use on me!  Toby McGuire would probably enjoy the Chardonnay and the brioche, which I had just buttered for him! (You have such an evil mind!).

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #54 on: February 26, 2007, 08:06:45 AM »

One of the songs is classic Webb - called Montage.

MusicGuy

« Reply #55 on: February 26, 2007, 08:07:16 AM »

And dear BK....... if you had accepted my proposal I got to thinking how complicated it would be.  I'd have to go take instruction and convert....you would have to take a course in the writings of Earnest Holmes... there would have to be 2 pre-nups....and then all of that fighting and bickering over "who gets to be the boy!"

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #56 on: February 26, 2007, 08:07:18 AM »

I either remember it from back then or someone covered it because I knew it instantly.  It's sung by The Piccadilys.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #57 on: February 26, 2007, 08:08:07 AM »

I must look up the song.

Matt H.

« Reply #58 on: February 26, 2007, 08:09:04 AM »

DR Jose:

I looked it up this morning, and your trivia answer about Judi Dench's role in SHAKESPEARE IN LOVE being the shortest winning role was absolutely correct. Beatrice Straight's wasn't even in second place! Anthony Quinn's nine minutes in LUST FOR LIFE was a few seconds shorter than Straight's work in NETWORK.

Matt H.

« Reply #59 on: February 26, 2007, 08:10:11 AM »

Speaking of NETWORK, did anyone see Faye Dunaway at the Oscars last night? She had, BAR NONE, the most hideous dress of the evening. Try to find it on-line. It's ghastly.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Up