Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: NOTES AND GOMORRAH  (Read 40009 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:NOTES AND GOMORRAH
« Reply #90 on: February 27, 2007, 09:47:18 AM »

Cason will be with Kevin and I to tape a radio show tomorrow evening.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #91 on: February 27, 2007, 09:47:45 AM »

So it is written, so it shall be done - page four.

Ginny

« Reply #92 on: February 27, 2007, 09:50:01 AM »

Audition vibes for DR Cason!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

MusicGuy

• ...at an audition to accompany Guy Haines...
« Reply #93 on: February 27, 2007, 09:52:38 AM »

Do you have any more detail on the provenance of those fixtures?  They're beautiful!!!

Unfortunately, I don't know which specific building.  I got them from friends that lived a little way up from the Grand Lake Theatre, and they didn't know the exact origin.  They my have been sold through Butterfield's or some place like that.

MusicGuy

« Reply #94 on: February 27, 2007, 09:54:53 AM »

And of course.... Terrific VIBES and MARIMBAS and STEEL DRUMS for the one and only -- BOO-KEY !

MusicGuy

« Reply #95 on: February 27, 2007, 10:01:48 AM »

DR Matt mentioned something very important, for anyone upgrading their TV and associated things.

Without going all the way to the expense of a Blu-Ray or other genuine "Hi-Def" DVD player.... make sure to at least get a DVD player that has what is called an "upconvert" feature.  It really does improve the visual quality of standard DVDs, by creating more lines of resolution to send to the screen.  

My new combo VHS/DVD player/recorder, has the upconvert feature, and also allows very easy recording/dubbing between DVD and VHS in either direction.  And it was only about $250 bucks.  

Nowhere near "one large" in Soprano's language !

MusicGuy

« Reply #96 on: February 27, 2007, 10:03:42 AM »

And now, time for a few errands and productive work.

TTFN

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #97 on: February 27, 2007, 10:12:35 AM »

There was a time, oh, yes, there was a time when jrand would have been the first to review a new product on amazon.

And there was a time, oh, yes, there was a time, when Michael Shayne would have been right behind him.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #98 on: February 27, 2007, 10:12:38 AM »

You really SHOULD, you know.....it's so totally worth it....and so are you.

Why, thank you, DR Ron--that was so nice to say!

In all seriousness, I will start researching and shopping for a widescreen during the next few months and then make an actual purchase in June when I get my yearly bonus (if I get one!)  I've been deterred for years because I always thought that a widescreen would look so out of place in my living room.  But I've been slowly coming to realize that Architecture's Monthly has not been eagerly contacting me to do a photo spread on my home, so maybe the time is nigh.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #99 on: February 27, 2007, 10:13:14 AM »

But I also remember others (and I can go find those posts) who were chomping at the bit and annoyed that the review icon wasn't there.  It's there now, baby.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #100 on: February 27, 2007, 10:15:00 AM »

Thanks for the info from DRS MATTH  & RLP.  I will save them for reference.

DR MUSIC GUY - location location location....and it looks perfect.

DR RLP - I thought everyone had read this.

http://www.horror-wood.com/allison.htm

Of course the Coroner's Report had additional material.  My major complaint about the hospital on the day Allison died....she was there for a transfusion, something she had done several times....she complained she was chilled.  They stopped the treatment and left her alone until about 11:15 pm (more than six hours later) - discovered her "unresponsive except to pain" and shipped her miles away to the San Diego Medical Center - her doctor didn't even know she was being treated - and she got there at 3:15 a.m. and died about three hours later.  I think the transfusion was bungled, the coroner's report seems to indicate that, but NOTHING was done.  Her mother was notified - even though she was waiting at home with no car and no way to contact the doctor - that she was dead by a doctor in San Diego.

Somehow through a card in her purse, her priest was notified and she was given the rites of the sick - my guess is she couldn't be given last Catholic rites because she couldn't speak to the priest and answer the questions.

:'(
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #101 on: February 27, 2007, 10:16:17 AM »

I am still working on my BRAINEX thoughts - I want to be original and entertaining, you know!

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #102 on: February 27, 2007, 10:17:37 AM »

Audition vibes to Boo-key!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #103 on: February 27, 2007, 10:18:34 AM »

Cason will be with Kevin and I to tape a radio show tomorrow evening.

Do let us know when that show is up! (And I know that you will!)
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

MBarnum

« Reply #104 on: February 27, 2007, 10:19:58 AM »

I have never been in the Wiltern, but I usually stay down the street from it and salivate every time I drive by because I want to go in! Maybe when we come to LA in April we can sneak a peek, or perhaps someone will be playing there that we'd like to see!

Edisaursu, when in April will you be in L.A? I am planning to be there the last week of April....if your film being shown???? If so then I must see it!

MBarnum

« Reply #105 on: February 27, 2007, 10:26:21 AM »

The best of audition vibes to Cason...not that he would need them...and what is Mr. Murphy auditioning for?

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #106 on: February 27, 2007, 10:28:26 AM »

Thanks for the explanation and the Link, JRand.

I had no idea she had been through all of that.

Her mother being in an "unmarked grave" nearby...is that because Allison is buried where her mother would have been....and the other plot isn't part of the one with the stone?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2007, 10:29:14 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #107 on: February 27, 2007, 10:30:24 AM »

Is it too cold in here for a pimp?
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Edisaurus

« Reply #108 on: February 27, 2007, 10:33:49 AM »

Edisaursu, when in April will you be in L.A? I am planning to be there the last week of April....if your film being shown???? If so then I must see it!

It's opening April 6th. The only way it will still be showing is if we get A LOT of people out to it on its opening weekend. That's when they make the decision whether to hold it over or not. (HINT, HINT!)

It's showing at the Laemmle Music Hall in Beverly Hills.

If anyone happened to want to see another film that was playing there, say, a blockbuster like Babel, well, if they accidentally bought a ticket for our film instead, I wouldn't complain! (Same with the Quads in NY.)

BTW, I only suggest this when a person wants to see a blockbuster that you already know is going to turn a hefty profit and doesn't need your ticket money to survive!

Jennifer

« Reply #109 on: February 27, 2007, 10:35:54 AM »

RE: HEROES

SPOILERS

SPOILERS

I do enjoy seeing various stories on the same show. But i did think it was good for them to focus on claire. It can sometimes be difficult to follow when they switch back and forth between so many stories.

I must be lame, but i totally did not see claire having to leave.

And how cute was little hiro!

I can't wait till claire meets her uncle again. I loved those two together.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #110 on: February 27, 2007, 10:40:12 AM »

Still awaiting word when the Shire will be up for preorder - it should have been up this morning, but our little webdesigner does love to procrastinate - and she had some sort of bug - she was supposed to work on it on the weekend, but she began work yesterday afternoon instead.  It's typical, but she's good and not too expensive.

FJL

« Reply #111 on: February 27, 2007, 10:42:27 AM »

Just in case anyone here was interested, LEGALLY BLONDE has a confusing Ticketmaster discount code situation for its previews.  The code is VISA, which implies that you must use a visa card to use the code, but they're actually allowing you to use any credit card once you get apst the discount code entry screen.  As Jose suggested, the really best seats are still being held back because they're expecting strong premium business on this one.  But they're still selling the lesser $110 seats for $60 plus the nominal (ahem. yeah right) Ticketdisaster service charges.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #112 on: February 27, 2007, 10:46:46 AM »

Been listening to the new cast recording of Company and while I still find the concept ridiculous, it actually seems to work with the show, at least on CD.  Musically, it's not as dramatic as Sweeney Todd so you don't really miss that with this recording like you did with Sweeney.  However, I still think the concept is stupid :P

I think doing a show once this way is an interesting experiment, but doing another by the same composer immediately afterwards is running a franchise.  Why not set every Chekhov on a preppy Long Island estate and every Shakespeare in the 1930's?  

That being said, I have to say that this COMPANY is a gloriously sounding recording.  Everyone sings beautifully--no "PTA show" voices at all.  And I like the new orchestrations a lot.  A few things that I'm not crazy about:  no "Tick Tock" and no reprise of the title song at the end of the show, a wee bit too much dialogue for my tastes, and I don't agree with many of Raul Esparza's vocal choices.  But otherwise, this is a wonderful and invigorating recording of a show that was beginning to feel dated.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #113 on: February 27, 2007, 10:53:36 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]@ @ @ @ @  LAY 'EM IN THE AISLE AUDITION VIBES FOR DR CASON  @ @ @ @ @[/move]
-- Anaïs Nin

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #114 on: February 27, 2007, 10:56:10 AM »

"Heroes"

[size=8]SPOILER[/size]

DR MattH, you commented last night: "I wish Matt and H.R.G. could have worked together longer. They made a good team."

That's exactly the set-up Eric Roberts' character established.  I fully expect HRG and Matt to be teamed up.

I don't know how much memory the Haitian was going to remove from HRG (possibly just the fact that they planned Claire's getaway), but I expect HRG will continue to work at the "paper factory"...and Matt's talents will surely be used.

It certainly won't do for HRG to have his memory erased about Claire.  His wife and son will remember, as will Matt.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #115 on: February 27, 2007, 10:58:46 AM »

RE: HEROES

SPOILERS

SPOILERS

I do enjoy seeing various stories on the same show. But i did think it was good for them to focus on claire. It can sometimes be difficult to follow when they switch back and forth between so many stories.

I must be lame, but i totally did not see claire having to leave.

And how cute was little hiro!

I can't wait till claire meets her uncle again. I loved those two together.

[size=8]SPOILER[/size]

I'm of the opinion, this morning, that Hiro's father did not know his son had any ability until recently.  Still, he made no "move" to bring his son "in" the way he expects his employees to bring in the other folks with special abilities.

Hiro, however, would not be easily "brought in" since he can will himself to be somewhere else.

Edisaurus

« Reply #116 on: February 27, 2007, 11:05:42 AM »

[quote author=FJL link=board=4;threadid=1307;start=msg281263#msg281263 But they're still selling the lesser $110 seats for $60 plus the nominal (ahem. yeah right) Ticketdisaster service charges.

Here we call them "Ticketbastards".

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #117 on: February 27, 2007, 11:05:56 AM »

"Heroes"

[size=8]SPOILER[/size]

DR MattH, you commented last night: "I wish Matt and H.R.G. could have worked together longer. They made a good team."

That's exactly the set-up Eric Roberts' character established.  I fully expect HRG and Matt to be teamed up.

I don't know how much memory the Haitian was going to remove from HRG (possibly just the fact that they planned Claire's getaway), but I expect HRG will continue to work at the "paper factory"...and Matt's talents will surely be used.

It certainly won't do for HRG to have his memory erased about Claire.  His wife and son will remember, as will Matt.

Was that Wireless Girl who was doing some kind of brain scan on Matt at the paper factory?  It seemed strange that she would set up the invasion on HRG's home and actually work for him, too.  What's her game?

I'm glad that they've established George Takei as more than just Hiro's father.  What's his game?
-- Anaïs Nin

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #118 on: February 27, 2007, 11:23:19 AM »

Thanks for the explanation and the Link, JRand.

I had no idea she had been through all of that.

Her mother being in an "unmarked grave" nearby...is that because Allison is buried where her mother would have been....and the other plot isn't part of the one with the stone?

That's my guess.  Allison's death was rather unexpected, and I am thinking that her mom wasn't really prepared for it.  So Allison is buried next to her father who had passed away in 1959.  Her Mom died 8 months later, and though there were three sons from his first marriage, my guess is none of them were interested in making arrangements for the step mother.  She died without a will, so she wasn't interested in seeing them get anything, so the Public Administrator dealt with Charlotte and Allison's assets...which were not considerable.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #119 on: February 27, 2007, 11:23:52 AM »

Just in case anyone here was interested, LEGALLY BLONDE has a confusing Ticketmaster discount code situation for its previews.  The code is VISA, which implies that you must use a visa card to use the code, but they're actually allowing you to use any credit card once you get apst the discount code entry screen.  As Jose suggested, the really best seats are still being held back because they're expecting strong premium business on this one.  But they're still selling the lesser $110 seats for $60 plus the nominal (ahem. yeah right) Ticketdisaster service charges.

Could you just walk over to the Palace Theatre box office?  or is the box office not open yet?  In any case...

I remember planning a trip to NYC when I was in college.  I had planned to see a bunch of shows, and after looking at what all the service fees would end up costing me, I eventually decided to take the train up for the day, and buy all my tickets in person at the box office.  -At that time Amtrak was still semi-reasonably priced.  When all was said and done, I only ended spending about $15 more by doing that - and I had a nice day in NYC too!

*The biggest convenience, however, was not having to deal with all the phone reps who would always say "These are really good seats."   Not.
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14   Go Up