Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: NOTES AND GOMORRAH  (Read 40021 times)

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
Re:NOTES AND GOMORRAH
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2007, 07:39:38 AM »

TOD: Music is SO important to me; it really makes life worth living, I think. So there are lots of albums to chose from that have had a huge impact on me...songs that I can remember exactly where I was the first time I heard it, and then went on to discover the artist's whole catalogue.

I have had several instances of pulling off the road because I was too overwhelmed by what I heard and had to give it my full attention. If I fall in love with a song, I can listen to it dozens of times in a row without getting tired of it. (Good Vibrations, Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis, the 2nd movment from Beethoven's 7th, the Who's Tommy, The Beatles' White album and Sergeant Pepper, Randy Newman's Sail Away, Harru Nilsson's Harry and the motherlode: Rhapsody in Blue are just a few.)

But if I had to pick one album that influenced my life above all others, it would be Van Dyke Park's SONG CYCLE.

Van Dyke is not a household name, but I became a fan of his through his work for Harry Nilsson and Randy Newman. He seemed to be this omnipresent musical force, whether it was playing piano or producing for other artists. He helped raise the bar on some of my favorite albums.

But when I heard his own music, (after pulling over the car) I can honestly say it changed my life. This was before the internet or CD's, and his albums were almost impossible to find. But I finally found an friend who was equally as fascinated by VDP's music and had all the albums which he graciously taped for me. (I have since bought them all on CD 3 times over in different releases.)

I felt a spiritual connection to this dense collage of music and never grew tired of hearing it because there was always some clever quote or hidden gem I'd never noticed before. But more importantly, I had discovered an artist who created the albums he wanted, not what some record label dictated. I learned early on in my career that I could work on things that mattered to me; I would also have to pay the bills but through determination and trying to always do my best, I could perhaps find a group of regular collaborators and clients. I also knew I was never going to get rich, but I would be happy in my work if I followed that path.

Years later we began corresponding and Van Dyke was as gracious and kind as you could hope your hero would be. Several times he offered his help on my documentary films, but our schedules never aligned.

Finally, on THE ADVENTURES OF OCIEE NASH, I knew I had a film that was tailor-made for his composing skills. I had to fight to use him; the producer had a composer buddy, the director had lots of people knocking at her door, and they had a tendency to favor people they liked rather than the person who was right for the job, because they knew nothing about music or the very important role it should play in giving a film its heart.

When several investors came aboard with money specifically based on VDP's name, the producers decided it would be a good idea to hire him!

Collaborating with him on this film from the beginning through the scoring session (with Grant Geissman in attendance) was without question the highlight of my professional career, and one of my favorite experiences of my life.

Van Dyke and his lovely wife even came to Atlanta for the premiere and Greg and I had the opportunity of showing them around for a few days. What fun that was, and they were as gracious and kind and generous as you can imagine, even though VDP barely broke even on this project, if that!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2007, 07:40:39 AM »

What a verbose beginning to page 2!

The above is the exterior of where Music Guy played the Mighty Mo, in his fine, sparkly jacket!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2007, 07:41:45 AM by Edisaurus »
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2007, 07:50:43 AM »

Thanks for the story, DR EDISAURUS!!  And the photo!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2007, 08:02:20 AM »

Well I am thinking about buying an HD tv in the next couple of weeks.  Only what I can afford, nothing spectacular.

From conversations here on HHW - let me see if I am correct.

My DVD's using my "S" cable will be in HD if they have been manufactured that way.

My cable runs through my VCR but I do not have HD cable anyway.  Do these TV's have an RCA connection so that I can connect my VCR?  

My 5.1 Surround is a separate device that runs from my VCR and my DVD player.

Can I watch HDTV from my local stations over the air, will I need an antenna?

That is all.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2007, 08:22:18 AM »

Well today - February 27, 2007, is the 30th anniversary of the untimely passing of Ms Allison Hayes at age 47 due to a medical bungle and physician incompetence.

I'd never heard of thiis before.  Will you share some details?
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Edisaurus

« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2007, 08:22:52 AM »

Well I am thinking about buying an HD tv in the next couple of weeks.  Only what I can afford, nothing spectacular.

My TV died---it was an old one I had inherited from a client who upgraded to a flat screen. I didn't want to spend a ton of money, but it seemed like a good time to jump into the HD world.

This TV wasn't much more than what a regular TV of the same size would have been, plus it's HD, MUCH lighter and the picture is great.

Crutchfield shipped it---I was able to pick up the box by myself and fit it into my car. The first two TVs we got had damage but the 3rd time was the charm and we love it. There was also a $150 rebate at the time we bought...maybe it will come around again.

I upgraded to HD cable, so now I can watch THE CLOSER as it was meant to be seen.

The only thing I don't like, and I don't know if this is a tv problem or what, but we have a nice surround system that I hardly ever use because you can't control the volume with a remote, and I like to have control of it when I'm behind my editing table.

My TV: http://snipurl.com/editv

Crutchfield has EXCELLENT customer service, too!

MusicGuy

• ...at an audition to accompany Guy Haines...
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2007, 08:24:11 AM »

Good morning dear Esteemed, sultry, and biblical BK --

A very interesting topic for today;  here are just a couple of examples that come to mind.

At the age of only about 5 or so, listening to both the Frankie Carle recording of "Near You" and the Boston Pops recording of "Perpetuum Mobile" on my grandmother's spring-wound, acoustic Victrola, with the records being 78s of course.  Also she had "Peter and The Wolf" as a 78 album (multiple discs).

Later, hearing an obscure but very richly orchestrated LP of all instrumental arrangements, conducted by Robert Irving and recorded in England.  Taking simple things like "Londonderry Air" and "Santa Lucia" and turning them into big sweeping complex arrangements that sounded like Max Steiner making love to Franz Waxman !!

Edisaurus

« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2007, 08:26:22 AM »

Music Guy, do you recognize the pix of the theatre I posted above?

Edisaurus

« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2007, 08:27:07 AM »

The first album I remember loving as a little child was Kabalevsky's "The Comedians". I wore that one out!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2007, 08:28:26 AM »

Okay, if DR JRand is getting an HD plasma TV than I wanna get an HD plasma TV!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2007, 08:29:27 AM »

From conversations here on HHW - let me see if I am correct.

My DVD's using my "S" cable will be in HD if they have been manufactured that way.

My cable runs through my VCR but I do not have HD cable anyway.  Do these TV's have an RCA connection so that I can connect my VCR?  

My 5.1 Surround is a separate device that runs from my VCR and my DVD player.

Can I watch HDTV from my local stations over the air, will I need an antenna?

That is all.

I recommend shopping...try PlasmaBay.com

A TV with HDMI tuner will receive High Definition signals.  If you buy/have rabbit ears, you can pull in over-the-air High Def off network affiliate transmissions in your area (this is how I receive my high-def signals currently).  You can also "set up" the TV to receive all digital/high def signals over-the-air (you may be surprised at how many stations broadcast in digital/high def).

For all-digital transmission you will need that service from your cable company.  High def transmissions will probably cost a bit extra.

Watching DVDs on HDTV is a treat.  The video is not high-def, as it turns out.  It's just that most DVDs are digitally mastered (not the public domain ones, though) and you get so many more lines of resolution that you "see" the images as if for the first time...and with a clarity and brilliance that analog TV cannot provide.

In strictest terms (and DR MAttH is the better spokesman on this), HDTVs are "high def" only when receiving a "high def" signal.  If you buy "high def" DVDs, you must also have a "high def" DVD player to get the proper signal to your TV.

Most DVDs are not high def (or blue-ray), and regular (non-high def) DVD players don't play them.  Conversely, if you buy a high def DVD player, you can play all DVDs (except the blu-ray format) on it (this is true of a blue-ray player...all DVDs will play on it except high def DVDs).

The end result is "m-a-g-i-c."  Last night's "Heroes" was spectacular in high def....three-dimensional at times.  Just amazing.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2007, 08:34:13 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2007, 08:32:54 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.  Blue skies outside after it rained all through the night.  

Edisaurus

« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2007, 08:32:57 AM »

The Monkees were the first band I ever loved. I was checking out the listings for the Belfast film festival next month (we're in it!) and see that there's a new documentary about them. I would love to see that!

Ginny

« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2007, 08:35:57 AM »

Tuesday morning greetings!  My day started with a delightful meeting at Barnes & Noble about a booksale they're going to do for a professional organization's spring conference.  They even gave me a cup of Starbuck's coffee for the road!

DR Edi, I recognized the photo!  As part of the American Library Association conference in Atlanta in 2002, I had a "behind the scenes" tour of the Fox.  My cousin, who teaches art at the University of West Georgia, was my date.  And, DR Elmore and I have a mutual friend who's Assistant Production Manager there.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Cillaliz

« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2007, 08:37:06 AM »

Ok, I have a dilemma and I need some advice.   The weather looks iffy for Thursday.  I don't like the idea of fyling in a commute jet when it's snowing and windy.  I can do it but I don't like the idea.   I called American and since there is no weather waive right now it would be something like $1000 to change it....yeah right.  

So my choices are, take a chance that the weather will cooperate or get a ticket on another airline, cancel this ticket and use it within the next year.  It would mean another full day in New York and I know I would get there.  It would be much less than the $1000 quoted by AA. But would add to the cost of the trip.  I'm thinking since it may be the last time I go for fun for awhile it may be worth it....any ideas?

Cillaliz

« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2007, 08:37:47 AM »

I don't like fyling or flying in snow

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2007, 08:40:19 AM »

Okay, you lazybones, only MBarnum has cut and paste his review into amazon, where it sits like so much fish, lonely and alone.  So, others who haven't done their reviews (and there were several who were chomping at the bit), please do so, and those who have on CD Baby, just transfer them over.  Yay.  Also, it's been Kimmel day for amazon orders - nice orders for Brain and Stages.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2007, 08:42:03 AM »

Hi, gang.

Connie Francis singing Italian songs

Sergeant Pepper

Joan Sutherland and Marilyn Horne singing Bel Canto duets totally changed my life, and nothing else mattered for years
PennyO

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2007, 08:42:39 AM »

"The Carpenter's - Singles" was probably the LP that changed my life (I was 5 - but it had a huge impact) as well as my mom's old Diana Ross and the Supreme's LP's.  

The first musical that got me charged on musical theatre had to have been the first musical LP I purchased "Once Upon a Matress".  After that, it was down hill all the way.

Edisaurus

« Reply #49 on: February 27, 2007, 08:43:03 AM »

Okay, if DR JRand is getting an HD plasma TV than I wanna get an HD plasma TV!

HD TV's all around! (Mine isn't plasma but still looks pretty good.)

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #50 on: February 27, 2007, 08:43:30 AM »

and then I discovered John Wustman and Music Minus One! I had the whole set of vocal albums, even the tenor and baritone stuff.
PennyO

FJL

« Reply #51 on: February 27, 2007, 08:44:31 AM »

For the TOD, the Smothers Brotehrs Comedy hour album really affected me in a wonderful way.  Just loved it.

Edisaurus

« Reply #52 on: February 27, 2007, 08:44:48 AM »

"The Carpenter's - Singles" was probably the LP that changed my life (I was 5 - but it had a huge impact) as well as my mom's old Diana Ross and the Supreme's LP's.  

Last week a group of friends from Turner got together and watched The Karen Carpenter story, as done by Barbie dolls. It was actually surprisingly well-made. (by Todd Haynes, I think)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #53 on: February 27, 2007, 08:48:39 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up... I'm up...

Although, I've actually been a up a few times already over the past couple of hours.  I didn't have a bad sleep, nor a restless sleep.  I just found myself waking up every now and then for no apparent reason.  Well, actually, I did fall asleep with the radio on (WQXR), and at one point I woke up and they were in the middle of an Albeniz set, so...  But, I actually feel fine and rested, so, I guess I did get some good sleep along the way.

In any case...
« Last Edit: February 27, 2007, 08:49:41 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #54 on: February 27, 2007, 08:51:24 AM »

DR elmore - One of my roommates is home sick today, so I think it would be best to head somewhere for dinner tonight.  I'll cook another night.

Artie's? Hannafin's? Cafe Edgar? GETE?  Ollie's?
Make Your Own Luck.

MusicGuy

• ...at an audition to accompany Guy Haines...
« Reply #55 on: February 27, 2007, 08:51:38 AM »

Oh heavens yes !!  You don't know what it felt like to play in that place, and to also be facing the very real possibility of Bell South bulldozing the building.  It really was a David and Goliath situation..... but in this case, David won!  There were some incredibly dedicated people there around the theatre..... Joe Patten, and a group of young enthusiastic supporters, who just refused to stop fighting.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #56 on: February 27, 2007, 08:52:12 AM »

I can't be of any help to you, Cillaliz. I don't like flying in little planes at all, even on nice days!
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #57 on: February 27, 2007, 08:52:25 AM »

Seminal recordings of my life:

Sir Adrian Boult's recording of "Enigma Variations" (Elgar).  My first hearing of a portion of "Nimrod" was in the funeral sequence (for Randolph Churchill) in "Young Winston"  I read a review of the score by Sir Alfred Ralston and mention was made that Ralston interwove Elgar with his own compositions.  I found this recording of "Enigma Variations" in a record shop in London in 1973.  It has been one of my favorite listens ever since.

The Sutherland/Pavarotti, Zubin Mehta-conducted "Turandot" -- sheer h-e-a-v-e-n.

Carole King's "Tapestry"

Phoebe Snow's first album "Phoebe Snow"

Elton John's "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road"

The Who's "Tommy"

Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon" (and yes, I've synched it up with "The Wizard of Oz" for a fun treat)

"Aretha Franklin Live at Fillmore West"

Marvin Gaye's "What's Going On" (album)

"Montrose" by Montrose

Elmer Bernstein's "To Kill A Mockingbird"

Les Paul/Mary Ford -- "Whispering Hope" and "The World is Waiting for the Sunrise" (songs -- my two earliest memories of music that captured my imagination).

...a few of my favorite things....
« Last Edit: February 27, 2007, 09:00:16 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Edisaurus

« Reply #58 on: February 27, 2007, 08:52:50 AM »

Okay, you lazybones, only MBarnum has cut and paste his review into amazon, where it sits like so much fish, lonely and alone.  So, others who haven't done their reviews (and there were several who were chomping at the bit), please do so, and those who have on CD Baby, just transfer them over.

Allright, already! Thus it has been spoken...

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #59 on: February 27, 2007, 08:53:47 AM »

DR Cillaliz - Is your original flight an early morning flight? or later in the day?  And is the weather supposed to be bad early or later in the day?

In any case... I'd say check in again on the weather forecast this afternoon, and decide from there.
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14   Go Up