Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 17   Go Down

Author Topic: READER'S DIGEST  (Read 63483 times)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
Re:READER'S DIGEST
« Reply #120 on: March 02, 2007, 11:36:21 AM »

And no, to answer your question, DR Jeanne, I have NOT yet purchased "Planet X" yet, but I own most of the rest of the Kritzerland catalogue, and will order "X" posthaste.

Welcome, DR Singdaw!  DR Sandra will ask if you like cherry Coke, DR MBarnum will ask if you're a body builder.  If the answer to either is yes, leave now while you can!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #121 on: March 02, 2007, 11:37:10 AM »

I'm back from shipping (including a nice Dress Circle order -

At first I read that "back from shopping (including a nice Dress...

I KNOW BK was bragging about his Oscar gown, but...

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #122 on: March 02, 2007, 11:38:57 AM »

Welcome, DR Singdaw!  DR Sandra will ask if you like cherry Coke, DR MBarnum will ask if you're a body builder.  If the answer to either is yes, leave now while you can!

And what will YOU ask him, DR ELMORE? :)

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #123 on: March 02, 2007, 11:55:46 AM »

Welcome to our newest DR (Dear Reader) Singdaw!

I am glad you joined our friendly bunch of people here.

The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #124 on: March 02, 2007, 12:01:52 PM »

Welcome to brand spanking new DR singdaw!

Are you in show business?
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #125 on: March 02, 2007, 12:12:08 PM »

As DR Jose suggested, last night I downloaded and installed Finale NotePad and after a slight learning curve, I had a great deal of fun with it.  I was able to quickly copy the intro of "The Ladies Who Lunch" and it sounded pretty good.  There were a few instances where a slurred to note would disappear from the staff, but I could still hear it.  And it was getting late, so I just saved the file to its native .MUS type, so I'm not sure yet if it can be saved as a midi.  But overall, I think it's a much better tool than Cakewalk for my purposes.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jennifer

« Reply #126 on: March 02, 2007, 12:20:42 PM »

re: american idol and something dr Jose said.

I don't recall seeing stephanie or sabrina until the finals. But i think sabrina falls into the same category for me as stephanie.  They are both really strong singers. They have a nice stage presence.  And the judges have praised them a lot. So i think that is why they are still in it.

As for nick and aj (and the comments DR RonP made). I personally don't remember seeing them featured in the audition shows. Maybe they were shown in their original auditions. But their stories were not memorable i really don't remember any focus on them.  Also they may have been shown during groups week. But if they were they were not the focus of the group.

I do wonder if maybe some of the people who were not featured simply did not have interesting stories. Or maybe they did not have as much presence.

I was surprised aj went this week, not because i think he has any stage presence at all. But because the judges said such great things about him this week.

I agree with the DR who commented about this being a competition to find a star. So it is not only singing. But also star quality that is a factor.

I don't know what to say about paula emphasizing that it is a singing competition. Yes it is. But if people don't like aj or nick. Then maybe they don't want to watch them or vote for them.

Now what DR Jose said about people block voting just because they like somone because they are indian (without watching the show) ... well i guess that will happen. I actually don't think sanjaya (thanks DR RonP) is that bad. I mean he's been bad during the voting shows. But i actually think with some work he could have potential (to me much more than someone like antonella).

I do wonder why he (sanjaya) did so well in his original audition and during hollywood week. What has changed? Is it the number of people watching that are making him so nervous?

Oh and one last thing. The reason why i said sanjaya was featured a lot was not because they showed him that much during hollywood week. They did not show him at all. But his original audition was one of the ones they made the biggest deal about. And his story was known by basically everyone who watches idol. He stuck out. Then they made a big deal about showing him and sister. And so that became a big story as well. I really could not tell you a thing about nick or aj or jared before the voting shows.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #127 on: March 02, 2007, 12:26:38 PM »

Good morning, HHW!

YOUNG PEOPLE'S CONCERTS

Do you have the full 9CD set. I bought the box thinking it would be good to share with the Grandlads, but haven't watched any yet.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #128 on: March 02, 2007, 12:30:34 PM »

I was trying some flavors of oatmeal  for breakfast that I'm not used to, and in my dream this trivial thing seemed to be an important decision.  

For a really important decision:  beluga, osetra, sevruga

der Brucer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #129 on: March 02, 2007, 12:51:22 PM »

And what will YOU ask him, DR ELMORE? :)

I have no questions.  No answers, either.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

FJL

« Reply #130 on: March 02, 2007, 12:56:57 PM »

Speaking of caviar (and DerBrucer was), I saw on Paula Dean's show that Serendipity has a $1,000-per-serving ice cream sundae that features golf leaf chocolate as well as caviar among its ingredients.  

Maybe we should have this on the next walking tour, if it reaches the East side.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #131 on: March 02, 2007, 12:57:14 PM »

And I've already heard reports of the whole campus of Catholic University in Washington, DC., voting for their fellow student... Antonella.

So... Who knows?!?!?

What about the Indian-American students - do they split between Sanjaya and Antonella?

The GWU block would still be less than 10,000 voters - enough to play a part in keeping her alive for a while, but not
enough, I suspect,  to control the later eliminations. As the candidate numbers dwindle, the opportunity for multiple-blocs arises. I daresay that the candidate best able to assemble and maintain a dedicated block of multiple voting devotees might best symbolize the "American Idol" - not talent-wise, but popularity wise. And, record producers don't care if an album sale is based on talent or special-interest identification. And we all know how much "special interest" audience identification plays in live theatre paid admissions.

It is surely a flawed system, but has anyone proposed a better one?

der Brucer
« Last Edit: March 02, 2007, 12:58:54 PM by DERBRUCER »

singdaw

« Reply #132 on: March 02, 2007, 12:59:29 PM »

Well, DR Dan (the Man), I guess it would depend on how you define “show business.”  If you consider holding down a corporate job by day, but singing an occasional cabaret or musical theater program at a local retirement home “show business,” well then: slap a star on my door and call me a Broadway Baby!

I consider music and theater my avocation, and I supplement my day job income with singing gigs, mostly in area churches and synagogues.  I play the piano a bit, but wouldn’t want to try to make a living from it.  And no, I do NOT play the xylophone [sorry, BK].  I was an English major in college, but spent most of my time pretending I was enrolled at the Music Conservatory the next building over.  I would say I love classical music – especially choral music – and theater/cabaret music equally.

I am a pack rat and love to add CDs, DVDs, and musical theater scores to my collection at most every opportunity.  I prefer plain ‘ole water to Cherry Coke [sorry, DR Sandra], and while I do visit the gym every day, to call me a body builder would be like calling ‘Contact’ the Best Score of the 2000 Broadway season [sorry, MBarnum].

Is that enough?  Have I said too much?  There’s nothing more I can think of to say to you…

Oh, and thank you, DR DearReaderLaura, for telling me, without my having to ask, what DR stands for.  I should have been able to figure that one out!

Regards-

DERBRUCER

« Reply #133 on: March 02, 2007, 01:00:48 PM »

(I cant make a page dance, so I had to make a page sing.)

... and my god, I can hear the comments now............

How you you hear over all the page moaning?

der Brucer

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #134 on: March 02, 2007, 01:13:58 PM »

Oh, and thank you, DR DearReaderLaura, for telling me, without my having to ask, what DR stands for.  I should have been able to figure that one out!

You are welcome, DR Singdaw. We've had new folks in the past who were confused that this might be a theater/movie/music message board for doctors.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #135 on: March 02, 2007, 01:16:41 PM »

. Apparently they have been shredding trees for days and the earthmoving equipment is shaking the house.

The kitties should be happy - all those up-rooted field mice seraching for new homes :)

der Brucer

Ginny

« Reply #136 on: March 02, 2007, 01:25:58 PM »

Welcome new DR singdaw!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #137 on: March 02, 2007, 01:26:01 PM »

You are welcome, DR Singdaw. We've had new folks in the past who were confused that this might be a theater/movie/music message board for doctors.

I remember the first time I saw DR Laura on the board, and thought "Doctor Laura is in this group???"
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #138 on: March 02, 2007, 01:27:34 PM »

The kitties should be happy - all those up-rooted field mice seraching for new homes :)

They would be, if they were outdoor kitties, but since I live downtown on a busy streetcorner, they stay indoors. Although two were strays used to living outside, they have never shown any desire to get back out there. Guess they know when they've got it good!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #139 on: March 02, 2007, 01:28:27 PM »

Welcome to our new dear reader singdaw! Sounds like you're going to fit right in to our merry band.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #140 on: March 02, 2007, 01:31:06 PM »

Edisaurus sponsors a "discussion" with the developer:

der Brucer

FJL

« Reply #141 on: March 02, 2007, 01:34:50 PM »

A hearty welcome to DR singdaw!!!

Matt H.

« Reply #142 on: March 02, 2007, 01:35:14 PM »

I can't believe you don't remeber Nick, DR Jennifer. Much was made of his dropping out from intense pressure during last year's Hollywood round and his attempting to earn his way back on the show. His audition was featured and then he got a lot of attention during both evenings of the Hollywood round.

In fact, before the semifinals started, I had him installed as one of the favorites from the way I had heard him sing last year and this year. He was, it turned out, one of the most disappointing to me of all the men.

AJ, I admit, I don't remember much about. There was no way he was going to win this contest, but he's a heck of a lot better than Sanjaya or Brandon, both of whom are still around.

Matt H.

« Reply #143 on: March 02, 2007, 01:37:21 PM »

I got many things watched this afternoon. I began with SCRUBS which was something of a cheat, one of those clips shows that all comedies seem to feel the need to do at least one of. Most interesting thing about it was how many pratfalls the cast has taken in six years and how often John McGinley has changed his hair/wig style.

Matt H.

« Reply #144 on: March 02, 2007, 01:38:42 PM »

30 ROCK had a funny show with Liz dating Wayne Brady, and his accusing her of racism when she tries to break up with him. Tracy mOrgan had some funny bits, and Kenneth the page stole the show as he always does. Alec Baldwin had less to do this week, and Jane Krakowski had even less than Alec.

Matt H.

« Reply #145 on: March 02, 2007, 01:40:18 PM »

CSI: NY had a different type of episode with people dying in ways that mimicked a star magician's tricks on the streets of NYC.

Danny and Montana finally made a connection this week, too. They may be a cute couple. Nice to see Anna back on the show after maternity leave.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #146 on: March 02, 2007, 01:43:18 PM »

Picked up a package, wrote some more, ate some lunch, and bailed on the Wechter meeting and poker - too much to do and I just don't want to be out late this evening, and so far away - the poker game is about forty miles away.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #147 on: March 02, 2007, 01:43:35 PM »

Will we never get to page six?

Matt H.

« Reply #148 on: March 02, 2007, 01:43:49 PM »

Next came MR. MOTO'S LAST WARNING, the next entry in the MOTO series. I was disappointed that it was more espionage thriller than mystery. We know the bad guys from the very beginning, and so it's just a matter of Moto finally getting them in a spot where they can show their playing cards and he can trump them. Not one of the best entries even with stellar supporting actors like George Sanders, Ricardo Cortez, and John Carradine.

The transfer is really superb, though. Apart from the 4:3 aspect ratio and mono sound, the movie looks almost brand new after a couple of speckles at the beginning.

Matt H.

« Reply #149 on: March 02, 2007, 01:47:02 PM »

Also on the MOTO disc was a featurette on author J.P. Maquand who created Moto and was a famous novelist in his day (even a Pulitzer Prize winner). Nice little featurette featuring his son and grandson.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 17   Go Up