Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16   Go Down

Author Topic: THE WAY OF THE WORLD  (Read 58091 times)

Ginny

Re:THE WAY OF THE WORLD
« Reply #60 on: March 03, 2007, 08:01:01 AM »

LOL, DR MusicGuy - I agree with you!

In the summer of 2001, my DH and DS and I had a nice vacation in Colorado.  We spent several days exploring Rocky Mountain National Park from the comfort of the Alpine Trail Ridge Inn.  DS Rob was learning to use a digital video camera that DH Richard had borrowed from the local school district for the summer.  We took the hike around the perimeter of Bear Lake and enjoyed watching the beavers.  When DH Richard asked at the ranger station about them, the rangers said, "There aren't any beavers in Bear Lake."  DS Rob said, "I have video!"  One of my favorite pictures from that trip is of the rangers marveling at the footage.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #61 on: March 03, 2007, 08:02:52 AM »

And one for Mountains!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #62 on: March 03, 2007, 08:06:30 AM »

Hiking/camping and I are not friends. I have only done the camp out thing once in my life, and it was the most miserable experience I've ever had.

I think I've told this story before, but at any rate, I was at camp. He had to hike about ten miles mostly up a mountain to get to the campsite in aheavily wooded area. The day for the hike/camp out was overcast and cool even though this was the middle of summer. Naturally, we didn't pack warm enough clothes for the weather, and around 8 p.m., it started pouring down rain. The canvas pup tent was waterproof but it was still sopping wet so that it you touched it, it would wet you good. So my shirt and my jeans had wet spots where I'd accidentally roll into the canvas during the night.

I had to go to the bathroom during the night, so you can imagine how uncomfortable it was in the wild and in the rain trying to take care of business.

Overall, I'd say I may have slept two hours that night, and then we had the long trek back to camp the next morning. I think once we got back, I slept the rest of the day and missed both lunch and dinner back at camp.

Ugh! Never again.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #63 on: March 03, 2007, 08:18:02 AM »

Well, I have sheets and towels in the dryer that I need to tend to, and then I'll think about fixing some lunch.

WBBL.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #64 on: March 03, 2007, 08:35:34 AM »

Happiest of birthdays, Adianna! If I knew how to do those dancing letters things I would! I hope you have a wonderful day of fun planned!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #65 on: March 03, 2007, 08:37:00 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up... I'm up... And...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #66 on: March 03, 2007, 08:37:57 AM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DR ADRIANA PATTI!!!!!
[/size]
« Last Edit: March 03, 2007, 08:38:18 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

Edisaurus

« Reply #67 on: March 03, 2007, 08:38:35 AM »

DR George, thanks for the JCSS report, and the pictures!

I remember when I saw the movie thinking that Neeley was the tinest Jesus I'd ever seen. That's great to hear that he's a ncie guy. I'd like to see the production. I love the music but have never seen it staged, apart from a local church.

I'm sure Ted's feet were fresh as a daisy, thanks to you!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #68 on: March 03, 2007, 08:39:33 AM »

In other news, I had a very good night's sleep.  In fact, I think I may have overslept, but, heck, it's Saturday, so...
Make Your Own Luck.

Edisaurus

« Reply #69 on: March 03, 2007, 08:39:43 AM »

After seeing shows on BROADWAY, I think I'd let the tour show go to someone else, since you gave away the ticket.

But, if they offer it back.....

My thoughts, exactly!

Edisaurus

« Reply #70 on: March 03, 2007, 08:40:31 AM »

Off to work....with my unfavorite helper.

Awwww...don't talk about your handsome black kitty like that!

Kerry

« Reply #71 on: March 03, 2007, 08:41:12 AM »

Regarding yesterday's topic, I listened to " A Wonderful Guy" and "Marlene Ver Planck loves Johnny Mercer."

For today's topic, I don't do camping.  The last time I went camping I was 15 (after the earth had cooled).  I didn't want to be with my family, so I slept in the van  and read the biographies of Jean Harlow and Rudolph Valentino by flashlight and Colemena lantern.  I like walking in the woods and exploring but not the rest.  Who knows, I might have liked it more if I'd been with someone other than my family.  But at 15 they were the last people I wanted to be with 24 hours a day for 2 weeks!
I like boat races.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #72 on: March 03, 2007, 08:42:33 AM »

DR FJL - Hmm... 5:30... Hmm... There are a couple of things that I should/need to get done today, so...  Hmm...
Make Your Own Luck.

Edisaurus

« Reply #73 on: March 03, 2007, 08:43:23 AM »

Good morning, all!  Last night it took me three hours to copy two parts of the chart for Liz Callaway, and my goal is to be finished with it by Wednesday.

DR Elmore, do you use computer programs for copying parts? If so which one?

I put myself through college as a copyist and suffered what we can to call "monk neck" many times, from staying in a cramped position for hours, transposing and copying with india ink to vellum paper.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2007, 08:55:07 AM by Edisaurus »

Edisaurus

« Reply #74 on: March 03, 2007, 08:44:25 AM »

Today is also the birthday of Benjamin Clark, Narrator and Professor Leder of THE BRAIN FROM PLANET X.  I send him my wishes for a happy day as well.

Happy birthday to Benjamin, wherever you are. A great performance!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #75 on: March 03, 2007, 08:45:44 AM »

DR edisaurus - As for dinner this coming Wednesday (!!:)!!), could we move our meeting/supping time back by about 15 minutes or so?  I just received an invitation to the "President's Reception" that night at 9:30, and there was a personal message from the current SETC president welcoming me back this year (since I missed the past two years), and requesting my presence at said reception.  So, I guess I should show up for that.  It's being held at the hotel, so it's all close by.  Is that OK?
Make Your Own Luck.

Adriana Patti

• The best is yet to come!
« Reply #76 on: March 03, 2007, 08:47:54 AM »

Good morning and thank you all for the sweet birthday greetings!
"If we did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves."
-Thomas Edison

Cillaliz

« Reply #77 on: March 03, 2007, 08:47:58 AM »

Break a leg tonight DR CILLA LIZ.  Remember that every moment tonight at least one person in the audience will be looking at YOU!!!

Actually it's this afternoon, but with everything I've heard happens in this show, I doubt anyone will be looking at me!

Edisaurus

« Reply #78 on: March 03, 2007, 08:48:17 AM »

I have a favorite hike nearby, but after the past two years of virutally no exercise (and the figure to prove it!) I would really have to work up to it again. Part of it is solid rock and you have to use ropes to scale it. But it's a very rewarding view at the top of Little Kennesaw Mountain. One time we saw a flock of bluebirds, dozens of them. Very exciting! I am also surprised that you can find cacti on top of our mountain, although you don't see them growing wild any other places around Marietta. Guess it's a microclimate that's just perfect for them.

Adriana Patti

« Reply #79 on: March 03, 2007, 08:48:52 AM »

Happy birthday to BJ too , I shall have to give him a call today.
"If we did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves."
-Thomas Edison

Adriana Patti

« Reply #80 on: March 03, 2007, 08:49:25 AM »

Why am I awake?
-Thomas Edison

Edisaurus

« Reply #81 on: March 03, 2007, 08:49:33 AM »

I used to camp with my parents and have done it once or twice as an adult, but it always strikes me as so much WORK! I'd rather just do a day hike and not have to lug a lot of stuff around.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #82 on: March 03, 2007, 08:50:08 AM »

Blue skies, smiling at me, and I'm smiling right back - or something resembling a smile, since I just got up.

Edisaurus

« Reply #83 on: March 03, 2007, 08:51:01 AM »

François, I hope there is a special place in hell reserved for Miss Ann Coulter.

You should see the documentary "And God Spoke". There are some very funny moments between Coulter and Al Franken!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #84 on: March 03, 2007, 08:51:19 AM »

I have a distant memory of camping - once - cannot remember anything about it - not who I was with or who took me or anything but the following - trout, and a cabin of some sort.  Oh, and that I hated every minute of it.

Adriana Patti

« Reply #85 on: March 03, 2007, 08:53:17 AM »

Good morning Bruce  (:
-Thomas Edison

Edisaurus

« Reply #86 on: March 03, 2007, 08:53:37 AM »

DR edisaurus - As for dinner this coming Wednesday (!!:)!!), could we move our meeting/supping time back by about 15 minutes or so?  I just received an invitation to the "President's Reception" that night at 9:30, and there was a personal message from the current SETC president welcoming me back this year (since I missed the past two years), and requesting my presence at said reception.  So, I guess I should show up for that.  It's being held at the hotel, so it's all close by.  Is that OK?

Sure! You mean, pick you up at 6:45 instead of 7, or pick you up at 7:15? That's really a nice honor to be personally invited!

Miss Karen

« Reply #87 on: March 03, 2007, 08:54:33 AM »

DR Miss Patti !

TODAY IS YOUR BIRTHDAY...(the Beatles' birthday song popped into my head)

Hope you have a good time....

Happy BD and many, many more!

Ginny

« Reply #88 on: March 03, 2007, 08:55:04 AM »

This morning, I looked out my kitchen window and this is what I saw.  What is it, you ask?  Somewhere in there is a squirrel enjoying the end of a whole grain baguette that DH Richard threw out yesterday.  Great camouflage!
« Last Edit: March 03, 2007, 08:55:43 AM by Ginny »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #89 on: March 03, 2007, 08:55:25 AM »

As for the Topic of the Day...

My parents would take me and three younger brothers camping quite regularly when we were kids.  Most of the time, the camping would consist of heading out to Solomons Island, MD, setting up a tent on the base there for the weekend in order for my father and his friends to go crabbing and fishing for the weekend.  Thankfully(!), since we were on a military base, there were proper bathroom and shower facilities.  However, we still cooked everything over a campfire or grill, and we did sleep in tents.

When we lived in Virginia the first time, the woman who used to babysit us had a place up  in Harpers Ferry, WV.  She would offer it to my parents if they wanted to get away for the weekend.  So, my parents would usually stay in the motor home, while my brothers and I would stay in a tent a couple hundred yards from the motor home.  Of course, there were those night when we would move the tent closer to the motor home if there were bears spotted in the area - and there usually were, so...  -I still vividly remember the shadow of a family of bears standing outside our tent one night - mama, papa, and two baby bears.  Thankfully, our baby-sitter - Mrs. Fischer, a wonderful woman who had grown up in Harpers Ferry - told us how to deal with the bears - which was basically to remain still and quiet.  ;)  -But she also told us that she had never come across a "mean bear" in all her time living out there, and that as long as we didn't keep any food in the tent...  -And since the motor home was in sight of the tent and vice versa, there was always someone in ear and eye shot of us, plus the light from the motor home helping to keep things not totally in the dark.
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16   Go Up