Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: THREE LITTLE WORDS  (Read 39032 times)

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
Re:THREE LITTLE WORDS
« Reply #90 on: March 08, 2007, 09:24:57 AM »

And, just to push me to post 8900...

[size=20]
Bruce
Is
Right!
[/size]

Yep, there's definately something satisfying about that.

Music to my ears!

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #91 on: March 08, 2007, 09:34:57 AM »

TOD:

My 23 1/2 years in the U.S. Navy, including:

• My promotion to Chief Petty Officer
  • My 3-year tenure as station manager of AFRTS-Naples Italy (and the people I had to work with)
  • My final 14 months on USS Kitty Hawk (CV-62), especially a three-week period in the Persian Gulf in early 1993 during which time I was part of a small group who hosted a large group of international media covering the conflict that raged at the time.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ginny

« Reply #92 on: March 08, 2007, 09:38:13 AM »

TOD -

...I think maintaining a long term relationship and raising a wonderful child rank at the top, for anybody!

Being married to the same person for 26+ years and raising a well-adjusted son together top my list, too.  My mother often marvels that both her daughters are in long-term marriages (my sister and her husband celebrate 45 years next month) and that all 3 of her grandchildren made it to adulthood without any major catastrophes.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #93 on: March 08, 2007, 10:09:55 AM »

My DH and I had dinner with our own DR Jose last night! He was amazingly chipper running on such little sleep. We picked him up from his hotel and headed to Rathbun's, which is a nice example of adaptive reuse in an industrial area, across from Tyler Perry's studio. Jose and I each had "Crispy Duck Breast with Thai Risotto with Green Curry Essence", which was very yummy, and Greg had chicken and mashed potatoes, which I tried, and was not impressed with. The chicken was dry and the potatoes were rather soupy. But dessert mafe up for it: "Dark Chocolate Orange Cheesecake
Grand Marnier Sabayon" which, thankfully, was a round confection about the size of a can of snuff (we are in the South) and Jose had some yummy special dessert that perhaps he will describe.

Thankfully, the restuarant is casual, since Jose's suitcase was MIA and hadn't arrived before we'd left.

We of course discussed various HHW'ers, but I hope we will discuss much more the next time I see him, which will either be tonight, at puppet beer night in The Graveyard, or Saturday, during auditions. . There were some things I wanted to find out, like the whole story of MBarnum and the fire escape...something that was discussed before I was a member and is referred to now and then.

I hope the hotel has solved their network problems and Jose will let us know how day one of auditions went. And I hope we get to see him tonight, too!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

DERBRUCER

« Reply #94 on: March 08, 2007, 10:10:09 AM »

No annoying e-mails this morning, but no orders either.

Once I get caught up, I'd be happy to send you some annoying e-mails - "annoying" is something I do really well!

der Brucer

FJL

« Reply #95 on: March 08, 2007, 10:10:24 AM »

Jeanne - I remember that it was very important to me somehow to see FIRST NUDIE MUSICAL on its opening day in NYC at the 68th Street Playhouse, so by then I was already a fan.  But I think I first really became aware of Bruce as a standout watching the Dinah Shore variety show.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #96 on: March 08, 2007, 10:13:05 AM »

RE:  LOST

* * * * *  HERE THERE SPOILERS BE!  * * * * *

I was a bit disappointed in last night's episode.  I don't like the split stories--it reminds me of when NORTHERN EXPOSURE began doing three story lines each episode to utilize its large cast with the resulting plot never having much to do with one another.  The ping pong match with Sawyer and Hurley just seemed like more comic relief against the other intense goings-on with Kate, Locke and Sayid.

Another disappointment was the killing of Miss Clugh.  This show has constantly introduced new, intriguing characters and then almost systematically killed them off.  Of all the Others we've seen so far, I thought that Miss Clugh was one of the most interesting.  So much for her...

Sayid's flashback seemed to me a little too much like DEATH AND THE MAIDEN.  But even so, it reminded me why I still prefer LOST over HEROES--that the people who populate this show are so beautifully written and not just stock characters caught up in fantastic drama.  LOST can be frustratingly stingy in it's storytelling compared to the jam-packed HEROES, but I think it's ultimately more satisfying.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Edisaurus

« Reply #97 on: March 08, 2007, 10:14:28 AM »

Personally, I am most proud of recognizing that Greg was the love of my life when I fist met him (although it was years before we got together)

Professionally, I am most proud of
1. steering a course towards finally getting to work with my hero, Van Dyke Parks
2. making a comfortable living supporting myself doing something I love for the past 20-odd years (some of then VERY odd!)
3. my partnership with documentarian Peter Miller, which has enriched my life in too many ways to count (apart from financially!).
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #98 on: March 08, 2007, 10:22:48 AM »

Back from a jog - started writing pre-jog and shall now continue.

Jennifer

« Reply #99 on: March 08, 2007, 10:32:49 AM »

Re: last night's MEDIUM

spoilers

Let me just say i loved last night's show.

It's hard for them to do things to change things up. But last night's show was quite a departure for me.

Even though teenage allison did not seem like allison to me (the way she spoke, her body type...). But i guess as long as the actress does a decent job it's okay.

Anyhow. at first i was thinking that things were hapenning to big allison in real time. But that we were also seeing a teenage allison's life and dreams at the same time.

It was only at the end did i realize that we were really seeing teenage allison's life and seeing older allison only through teenage allison's dreams.

Did that make sense?

I thought that it was really interesting. And how things ended up surprised me.

Oh and seeing Frasier woman as allison's mom. Do we know anything about allison's mom? Gosh that must have been so hard having those abilities and having her mom discount everything about her life!

Great show.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #100 on: March 08, 2007, 10:33:52 AM »

1. steering a course towards finally getting to work with my hero, Van Dyke Parks
I put "Song Cycle" and "Jump" in my amazon basket - is that a good start?

der Brucer

Jennifer

« Reply #101 on: March 08, 2007, 10:34:41 AM »

And as for last night's LOST.

SPOILERS

SPOILERS

I liked this show too. I thought that sayid's backstory was fascinating and showed some stuff i did not know. And it made me wonder if he had really tortured that woman (or if he just wanted to give her peace).

The whole pit with sayid knowing the patch guy was an Other was also cool. And then the end with locke and the computer.

It was actually quite an interesting episode.

Jennifer

« Reply #102 on: March 08, 2007, 10:36:58 AM »

As for who i think will be voted off Idol tonight.

Well for the girls i think it will be haley for sure.

I would like the other girl to be antonella. But i think she has another week or two. I would say maybe jordin (not sure how popular she is). Or perhaps gina (but i think she will stick around).

For the guys i think it will be jared. And i wish sanjaya. But i also think he may have another week or two. I think brandon could be in trouble.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #103 on: March 08, 2007, 10:38:31 AM »

Our Log Cabin organization weighs in on Ann Coulter:

(Washington, DC) – Log Cabin Republicans President Patrick Sammon made the following statement about pundit Ann Coulter's remarks at CPAC:

"Ann Coulter should be embarrassed by her anti-gay remarks at the Conservative Political Action Conference.  Coulter's words are not worthy of this event or our nation's political dialogue.  Intelligent people engage in political debates using ideas not insults.  Unfortunately, she has made a career out of saying increasingly outrageous things just to garner headlines and shill her books.   Ann Coulter is more interested in soundbites than substance and she has become more ridiculous than relevant.  She obviously has no shame."

der Brucer

MBarnum

« Reply #104 on: March 08, 2007, 10:40:40 AM »

DR Edisaurus, I can 'splain the fire escape....there was a wonderful HHW gathering in NY, NY in October of 2005 which I flew in for...because I am a practically destitute state employee DR Elmore, along with DRs TPunk and Rodzinski, opened up their respective homes to me during my visit.

Of course the joke was that, curmudgeon that he is and because I would never be as good of a guest as DR Joey had been, Chateau Elmore only had room for me on the fire escape.

In actuallity, however, I was allowed to sleep indoors on the floor using a very nice air mattress that Larry purchased just for my trip! Well, for me and later for DR Jane, who used the air mattress when I moved over to The TPunk-Rodzinski Arms for the final few days of my visit (where I shared a room with two delightful furry felines).

So you see DR Elmore is really not such a curmudgeon (although now that I have revealed that fact, he will probably have me killed).

I also was offered quarters at Jose's NoTel Motel where I understand the place is decorated with etchings. But I never did make it over there.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2007, 10:42:41 AM by MBarnum »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #105 on: March 08, 2007, 10:43:51 AM »

Our Log Cabin organization weighs in on Ann Coulter:der Brucer

The Whore of Babylon "knows not" what shame is.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2007, 10:44:12 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #106 on: March 08, 2007, 10:46:23 AM »

I also was offered quarters at Jose's NoTel Motel where I understand the place is decorated with etchings. But I never did make it over there.

At that time, wasn't that more of the "Roach Court"?

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #107 on: March 08, 2007, 10:47:55 AM »

As for who i think will be voted off Idol tonight.

Well for the girls i think it will be haley for sure.

I would like the other girl to be antonella. But i think she has another week or two. I would say maybe jordin (not sure how popular she is). Or perhaps gina (but i think she will stick around).

For the guys i think it will be jared. And i wish sanjaya. But i also think he may have another week or two. I think brandon could be in trouble.

I think Haley, Antonella and, possibly, Sabrina are the most likely to go.  Not one of those three were memorable, IMO.  I think Stephanie might be on the edge, as well.

I think Melinda, LaKisha, Gina and Jordin are the four strongest women, though that may not translate into popularity votes for any of them.

For the men, definitely Sanjaya.  It's a crap shoot whether Sundance, Jared or Brandon go with him.  All were equally miserable...IMO, of course.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2007, 10:49:27 AM by Ron Pulliam »

singdaw

« Reply #108 on: March 08, 2007, 10:56:28 AM »

OK, can someone 'splain something to me about American Idol?

I've never really followed it, but I did see an episode once - I guess it would be one of the early ones, where the unwashed masses are all going for it.

What I didn't understand was: are some of these people play-acting for the camera to get their 5 minutes of fame - coached by the producers to get great drama out of it?  Or is it really possible to be that deluded about your talent quotient?  Can some of these people really not hear what they sound like?  

It was fascinating and disturbing at the same time.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #109 on: March 08, 2007, 10:58:45 AM »

Bookmaker.com has released current odds-on favorites.
(the list is most-likely to least-likely to go all the way)

MELINDA DOLITTLE +185
LAKISHA JONES +375
BLAKE LEWIS +650
SABRINA SLOAN +700
JASON "SUNDANCE" HEAD +850
CHRIS SLIGH +900
JORDIN SPARKS +1100
STEPHANIE EDWARDS +1100
CHRIS RICHARDSON +1500
PHILIP JOEL STACEY +3300
SANJAYA MALAKAR +3500
ANTONELLA BARBA +5000
BRANDON ROGERS +5500
GINA GLOKSEN +7500
JARDEN COTTER +7500
HALEY SCARNATO +7500

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #110 on: March 08, 2007, 11:03:01 AM »

Have written two-and-a-half pages thus far, and my have to do another little research drive right now.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #111 on: March 08, 2007, 11:07:55 AM »

singdaw

« Reply #112 on: March 08, 2007, 11:12:30 AM »

That's some outfit.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #113 on: March 08, 2007, 11:13:33 AM »

What I didn't understand was: are some of these people play-acting for the camera to get their 5 minutes of fame - coached by the producers to get great drama out of it?  Or is it really possible to be that deluded about your talent quotient?  Can some of these people really not hear what they sound like?  

are some of these people play-acting for the camera to get their 5 minutes of fame  YES

- coached by the producers to get great drama out of it? YES

Or is it really possible to be that deluded about your talent quotient? OH YES

Can some of these people really not hear what they sound like?  YOU BETCHA RED RYDER

I can handle two more: I have the POPE-CATHOLIC and BEAR-WOODS lines ready.

der Brucer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #114 on: March 08, 2007, 11:15:18 AM »

Good Afternoon!

Greetings from Atlanta!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #115 on: March 08, 2007, 11:16:47 AM »

The short version:

I made it in yesterday afternoon, even after my departure from La Guardia was delayed.

Alas, my luggage did nor reach me until 3:30AM(?!??) this morning, so.... :-\  Of course, it did get delivered to the Hilton... Just the wrong one! !@#!@#&!@^#%!@&#^%!
Make Your Own Luck.

Edisaurus

« Reply #116 on: March 08, 2007, 11:17:04 AM »

I put "Song Cycle" and "Jump" in my amazon basket - is that a good start?
der Brucer

I would sample them before buying, since my tastes in music don't often agree with other people's. I wouldn't want to lead you astray! (Remember Cowboy Troy!)

I would recommend as a good introduction: "Moonlighting", which is a live recording and features Grant Geissman. "Song Cycle" is at the top of many critics all-time best album lists, and is distilled Van Dyke. One of the things I appreciate about him is that he has led me to so many other genres of music. He has 2 wonderful albums of calypso music, which introduced me to a genre I came to love very much and have sought out since then. I even tried to get funding for a calypso documentary, but I didn't have a track record at the time. (My title: CALYPSO FACTO.)

"Tokyo Rose" is also a great album about the US's relationship with Japan.

Let me know what you think!

www.vandykeparks.com

singdaw

« Reply #117 on: March 08, 2007, 11:17:38 AM »

Thanks, DR DERBRUCER.   :)

That's pretty scary.

And these people can vote in our general elections?

DERBRUCER

« Reply #118 on: March 08, 2007, 11:17:58 AM »

OK, can someone 'splain something to me about American Idol?

Ask about the GREASE show and you'll get a chorus of replies!

der Brucer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #119 on: March 08, 2007, 11:18:25 AM »

DR edistaurus - Thank You for dinner last night!  It was a great pleasure meeting you and your DH.  I may see you again tonight, but I'm still trying to pin my schedule for the rest of the day.  But again, Thank You!

*And the Goodie Bag you provide me with last night has helped the morning go by much faster.  :)
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15   Go Up