Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: 'NUFF SAID  (Read 45049 times)

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
Re:'NUFF SAID
« Reply #120 on: March 10, 2007, 10:55:09 AM »

We are building light rail in Phoenix. Near as I can tell, it is not particularly convenient for anyone.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #121 on: March 10, 2007, 10:55:31 AM »

HHW TECHO-NERD ALERT!

For help with Daylight Savings Time 20007 changes:

MICROSOFT

Users of any operating system prior to VISTA should be concerned

APPLE

Users of sytems older than  OS 10.4.5 should be concerned

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #122 on: March 10, 2007, 10:56:27 AM »

I'll be very curious about how computer operating systems handle the new daylight savings time. I mean, I don't mind manually resetting my computer clock if I have to. This time tomorrow, I'll see if I need to.

Will it really be "this" time tomorrow, or an hour later?

Hmmmm...??????
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #123 on: March 10, 2007, 11:02:17 AM »

The new piano was delivered this morning. Our pianist played practiced on it for a while. Oh, my. It is so smooth and beautiful sounding.

A good pianist is even better when playing a really nice musical instrument.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #124 on: March 10, 2007, 11:04:27 AM »

A. Southern Girls are such Drama Queens

Oh, please!  They are obviously "carpetbaggers"!

Southerners don't do insufficient suicides!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #125 on: March 10, 2007, 11:05:25 AM »

A good pianist is even better when playing a really nice musical instrument.

Like a violin? Or a French horn?

:D

(Sorry....I couldn't resist).

DERBRUCER

« Reply #126 on: March 10, 2007, 11:08:39 AM »

Will it really be "this" time tomorrow, or an hour later?

Hmmmm...??????

Can CPO Pulliam use a sextant?

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #127 on: March 10, 2007, 11:10:26 AM »

Oh, please!  They are obviously "carpetbaggers"!

You're right.
I stand corrected.
They probably migrated from Gary!

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #128 on: March 10, 2007, 11:11:59 AM »

It is so smooth and beautiful...

Like a 25 year old single malt Scotch!

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #129 on: March 10, 2007, 11:44:50 AM »

We are building light rail in Phoenix. Near as I can tell, it is not particularly convenient for anyone.

Mass transit planning considerations are often at odds with what some of the public perceives as "convenient".

In most areas, mass transit's prime objective is to reduce vehicular flow during peak hours; therefore, the routing is dictated by worker-flow: home-job-home. Recreational and tourist use is secondary; therefore, mass transit often by passes airports, sports venues, and recreational sites.

LA, New York, and Phoenix have Mass Transit that goes near Airports to connect to a separate system for the final leg; some cities (London, Philadelphia) have Mass Transit that actually enters the airport (Philly has the best I've ever seen). Washington DC has a subway stop for Washington National (but it's a passenger's nightmare to lug baggage from the elevated train to the ticket areas) and Dulles International is still Bus/Cab only.

The "it's for the workers" syndrome results in other strange consequences. In the LA Metro area (including Long Beach) it results in trains stopping about midnight. So, if you want to go to the Music Center and see Les Miz, best leave before the curtain call. And in LB, if you want to go to a show and stop for a drink afterward, you need to drink and drive!

Our older US cities had a very different take on mass transit in that commercial destinations were considered important. All of Philadelphia's major department stores had show windows and entrances right in the subway stations. Even today, Philly 30th Street Station (AMTRACK) and Reading Terminal (Commuter Light Rail) have large very nice shopping areas as part of the terminal complex. Commuters can buy a fresh rack of lamb, fresh rosemary, just picked carrots, and fresh baked French bread (and some fresh cut flowers) to take home for dinner.

Washington tried a large commercial venue underneath Du Pont Circle, adjoining the subway station, but poor management and lack of good policing let it fall into disfavor, and it is now boarded up. A sad loss.

der Brucer

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #130 on: March 10, 2007, 11:45:44 AM »

LOL. Great line, DR RON.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #131 on: March 10, 2007, 11:47:29 AM »

Like a 25 year old single malt Scotch!

der Brucer

Oh. I was expecting "like a 25-year-old" something else.

You fooled me, DER B!

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #132 on: March 10, 2007, 11:53:23 AM »

Mass transit planning considerations are often at odds with what some of the public perceives as "convenient".

In most areas, mass transit's prime objective is to reduce vehicular flow during peak hours; therefore, the routing is dictated by worker-flow: home-job-home. Recreational and tourist use is secondary; therefore, mass transit often by passes airports, sports venues, and recreational sites.

LA, New York, and Phoenix have Mass Transit that goes near Airports to connect to a separate system for the final leg; some cities (London, Philadelphia) have Mass Transit that actually enters the airport (Philly has the best I've ever seen). Washington DC has a subway stop for Washington National (but it's a passenger's nightmare to lug baggage from the elevated train to the ticket areas) and Dulles International is still Bus/Cab only.

The "it's for the workers" syndrome results in other strange consequences. In the LA Metro area (including Long Beach) it results in trains stopping about midnight. So, if you want to go to the Music Center and see Les Miz, best leave before the curtain call. And in LB, if you want to go to a show and stop for a drink afterward, you need to drink and drive!

Our older US cities had a very different take on mass transit in that commercial destinations were considered important. All of Philadelphia's major department stores had show windows and entrances right in the subway stations. Even today, Philly 30th Street Station (AMTRACK) and Reading Terminal (Commuter Light Rail) have large very nice shopping areas as part of the terminal complex. Commuters can buy a fresh rack of lamb, fresh rosemary, just picked carrots, and fresh baked French bread (and some fresh cut flowers) to take home for dinner.

Washington tried a large commercial venue underneath Du Pont Circle, adjoining the subway station, but poor management and lack of good policing let it fall into disfavor, and it is now boarded up. A sad loss.

der Brucer

I've not as well-versed as you, Der B, on comparative mass transit systems, but it seems to me that a great deal of money is spent, while missing major opportunities. I'm a fan of mass transit, but think that we're not doing all we can. Which, of course, is one of the points you make.

Cillaliz

« Reply #133 on: March 10, 2007, 12:01:53 PM »

Yup!

He later starred as the singing voice of the yellow M&M

WOW! He was Yellow?   Yellow is my favorite M&M followed by a tie of Red and Green.....OK, maybe I spent a little too much time at M&Ms world...

singdaw

« Reply #134 on: March 10, 2007, 12:05:50 PM »

Our pianist practiced on it for a while.
While Cook, Driver, and Gardner looked on?   :)

Sorry, couldn't resist...

Glad it arrived safely, and hoping it gives you and your family years of pleasure!

Cillaliz

« Reply #135 on: March 10, 2007, 12:06:47 PM »

They're finally getting around to that? They were trying to get that going when I lived there around 20 years ago

singdaw

« Reply #136 on: March 10, 2007, 12:06:57 PM »

Welcome to Angela the Lurker.

So if you leave and then come back, you have to start all over?

Cillaliz

« Reply #137 on: March 10, 2007, 12:09:48 PM »

I had many strange dreams last night.  I think some of it is the cold medication I'm still taking...but I dreamed that people were throwing all kinds of percussion instruments at me ;)

Cillaliz

« Reply #138 on: March 10, 2007, 12:11:03 PM »

Seriously, I did have strange dreams last night. Nothing I still remember, I do remember waking up thinking.."That was strange"

singdaw

« Reply #139 on: March 10, 2007, 12:12:22 PM »

I dreamed that people were throwing all kinds of percussion instruments at me
;D ;D ;D

And may those brickbats help you feel better all the sooner!

Cillaliz

« Reply #140 on: March 10, 2007, 12:13:29 PM »

I wouldn't say pie is my first choice of dessert, I'm more of a cake kind of girl, but I do enjoy pie.  My favorite are fruit pies, especially strawberry rhubarb, but almost any fruit pie, pumpkin pie is tasty and right now I'm hungry for banana cream pie.  

I loved the pie at House of Pies where I had a slice of Dutch Apple ala mode with our wonderful host BK

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #141 on: March 10, 2007, 12:15:51 PM »

DR Jane, something I ommited in my discription of the Tivo/Amazon service yesterday--you need to have your Tivo connected to the internet through broadband in order to download videos.

;D I doubt we will be doing that just to get a movie, at least for now.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2007, 12:16:26 PM by Jane »

Cillaliz

« Reply #142 on: March 10, 2007, 12:18:44 PM »

It's beautiful here, in the 50s and the sun is brightly shining.  I have several windows open and the girls are running from window to window sniffing the air and generally having a grand old time. Much of the snow is gone here.  

Jane

« Reply #143 on: March 10, 2007, 12:19:22 PM »

Good!  Every addict needs enablers...

;D

Cillaliz

« Reply #144 on: March 10, 2007, 12:19:25 PM »

I went to the new "improved" version of the local foods restaurant at the firehouse.  It's now called Fiona's Firehouse Bistro.  They've done a lot with the decor and put in a good kitchen, but the service is lousy.   As Paul said "A New York Minute is 30 seconds. A Sioux City Minute is 15-20 minutes. Your eggs will be here in a minute..."  Make that 2 minutes...

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #145 on: March 10, 2007, 12:20:33 PM »

Oh -- welcome back, DR Angela!! I hope you stick around. We are nice folks (as you know).

Cillaliz

« Reply #146 on: March 10, 2007, 12:21:42 PM »

I will say it's only the first day and I was asked by one of the board members what I really thought, so I told her.  I do want to see it succeed.  It would have been nice if the potatoes were warm. I think they plated them and then waited "a couple minutes" until everything else was done

Cillaliz

« Reply #147 on: March 10, 2007, 12:22:36 PM »

The coffee was actually wonderful. Locally roasted coffee beans.  No pie on the menu

Cillaliz

« Reply #148 on: March 10, 2007, 12:24:12 PM »

The Blob is on TCM. That movie scared the bejesus our of me when I was a little kids.

Jane

« Reply #149 on: March 10, 2007, 12:25:46 PM »

Hi Angela.  WELCOME BACK! :D
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14   Go Up