Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: WHAT ELSE CAN I TELL YOU?  (Read 23452 times)

William E. Lurie

Re:WHAT ELSE CAN I TELL YOU?
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2004, 06:16:48 AM »

Best Performances - Film: The entire cast of TRIPLETS OF BELLVILLE

Best Performances - Stage: The entire cast of NEVER GONNA DANCE
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2004, 06:47:19 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]/~//~//~~~~~\\\~~~~/////~~~~~~[/move]

Good vibes for the skier's safety!  

DR WEL - How was "Pick Yourself Up" done in Never Gonna Dance?  Was it a "dance lesson" like in the movie?  That is one of my favorite routines EVER.

And which number do you think best captured the Astaire-Rogers feeling?  Or do you think it was  more of a Gershwin feel the creators were going for?

I know that you wrote about it when you saw it, but I would enjoy hearing your impressions of the show again!  ;D
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jennifer

« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2004, 07:15:28 AM »

Sorry about the picture thing from last night. I posted it and it appeared to me.

I realize what I did.  There are two ways to post pics (from your computer or disk you use the attach column below). I was using the right click properties way that we were shown for pics off the net. Sorry about all the Xs.  And no I won't preview (cause that doesn't work - see I do remember something).

Jennifer

« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2004, 07:27:11 AM »

Definitely, good vibes to the skiier.

Me, I am still feeling very sad. Men: be nicer!

Jennifer

« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2004, 07:28:54 AM »

Oh and I'm glad the Canadian Hussies made it back safely (I guess we will hear from DR Maya soon). I can't wait to hear your border stories girls!

Kerry

« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2004, 07:35:58 AM »

I have gained 4 pounds over the holidays, and I still have a pound and a hlf of See's. a half pound of Godiva and 2 bags of Ruffles calling me from the kitchen!!!!!!! :P ;D >:( ???

I need Jose's metabolism and discipline and BK's abs and buns of steel.

Time to get to work...... on everything.

And time to go to work.

Post well, my pretties.
I like boat races.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2004, 07:42:42 AM »

Nice picture, DRJennifer....and I will miss DR Emily's imaginative photo - but DR EMILY nice photo as well!

Ahhhhhhhh---- like Mr BK, I am alway a bit jarred by the character of Muldoon in AUNTIE MAME....and it certainly gives Gooch a song and a presence in the musical she wouldn't have otherwise.  My guess would be that is why - but I am not sure, of course.  The only problem being of course, that Patrick grows up with TWO women in his life rather than just one, though Gooch in the musical doesn't seem to share the relationship with Young Patrick that Muldoon does in the movie.

And this is just too much thinking about something that really doesn't require it.  It is just the way it IS!

Mr BK have you ever met or worked with Joanna Barnes?  She seems like a fun person.  She was interviewed on THE PARENT TRAP DVD last year and was still pretty and as sharp as ever.  I think she was the BEST Gloria Upson EVER!!!!   Her ping pong story is priceless!

Diane

« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2004, 08:12:31 AM »

Happy Day After New Years Day Everyone!

Cant really think of the best performances I've seen right now...My brain is still recovering from all that wine on Wednesday/Thursday :P

Just wanted to say Thank You to all the lovely DR's and BK who make my days here temping go so much faster!

A very Happy, Healthy and Peaceful New Year to you all.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2004, 08:12:58 AM by Diane »
I LOVE A Piano....

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2004, 08:13:09 AM »

Good morning, all. slept in and now have to run to do things so I won't be late. Performances of 2003: ALL the performances in MYSTIC RIVER were superb. Esp. Tim Robbins.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2004, 08:15:58 AM »

DRJENNIFER we will try.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2004, 08:22:46 AM »

I find MAME a strange kind of slimmed-down version of AUNTIE MAME with not only Nora and Agnes combined (and very effectively, I might add; really no need for the two separate characters) but other hangers-on and users not included in the musical version either. And the score is so great that I will commit the sacrilege and say that I prefer MAME to AUNTIE MAME, but they're both wonderful theatrical properties, and I'm glad we have both.

CLOSE ENCOUNTER OF THE THIRD KIND (which was discussed last night) is a dirty word around my house. My indifference to the original 1977 version cost me a radio film reviewer's job because the station manager was a disciple of the film, literally worshipped it as something truly deep and spiritual, and when I didn't share quite so abiding a love for it, he nixed me for the job. In my defense, I will say that when I saw Spielberg's Special Edition of it in 1980, I felt the movie's middle section seemed much more precise and interesting with his additions and deletions to the original (thought going into the ship was ridiculous) and became a fan of the movie. Still, I have a love/hate relationship with CLOSE ENCOUNTERS.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2004, 08:25:15 AM by Matt H. »
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2004, 08:25:13 AM »

Off to the Oaks of Sherman to work, work, work ( that is three works).  I shall post from there.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2004, 08:52:31 AM »

DRMATTH - I have to agree with you about CE3K.  I saw it on it's original release and thought I was going to see a movie about one man's struggle to make the world believe what he knew (and we knew) he had experienced.  Instead it turned into this great BIG thing with a cartoon fantasy world wide messiah theme that I didn't like at all.  I still don't like it, and avoid it.

Not my kind of movie - but that's okay!  

MBarnum

« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2004, 09:02:36 AM »

For you amusement here is a photo of me opening one of the gag gifts from my 40th birthday party.

My mom was in charge of taking photos, but alas she forgot to put film in her camera and didn't notice until the party was over! Fortunately my Aunt had taken a few shots and she sent them to me! LOL!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2004, 09:04:49 AM »

Good morning!

-Yes, I just checked my clock, it's still officially in the A.M.

I kind of slept in today, but if one doesn't get to bed until 4:00am...

As for today's topic...  I know for sure that I did not see ten films this year...  And most of the theatrical performances I saw this year we're from my perspective in the pit... So...

Here's my Top Not-Quite-Ten List:

Take Me Out - The whole ensemble.  I very much "got" Denis O'Hare's performance.  It uplifted me.  And James Yaegashi was so understandable - even though I didn't understand his Japanese - great monologue, very moving.

Finding Nemo - Loved it, Loved it, Loved it!  And since I had just returned from my trip to Australia...

Man of La Mancha - Stokes and Marin Mazzie.  Unfortunately, Sancho's u/s was on that night, and he seemed to be having vocal issues - both in production and pitch.

L'Auberge Espagnole - Kind of like an international version of MTV's "The Real World" - but actually Real!  A great ensemble.  And hearing all those languages going back and forth was a great challenge/game.

Chicago - Well, I didn't see this one until 2003, so...

Camelot - At Arena Stage.  Steven Skybell, Kate Suber and Matt Bogart - Arthur, Guenevere and Lancelot.  Yes, I'm a bit biased, but what a wonderful trio that was assembled for this production.  I've always admired Steven's acting, but watching him "in process" was such a joy - so generous, so empathetic.

Hmm... and that's all I can get my brain to remember at this time...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2004, 09:07:31 AM »

DR MBarnum - Great Pic!  Love the walker!  Where do you store it?  Do you put cut open tennis balls on the legs?  Is it easy to use? ;)  *Oh, upon closer inspection, is it one of those bathtub seats?

Btw, you're very handsome. :D
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2004, 09:09:57 AM »

Best film performances (and made-forTV films) of 2003: (in no particular order except as they come to me)

1. Renee Zellweger - CHICAGO
2. Catherine Zeta-Jones - CHICAGO
3. Queen Latifah - CHICAGO
4. Johnny Depp - PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN
5. Ian McKellan - LORD OF THE RINGS/RETURN OF THE KING
6. Sean Astin - LORD OF THE RINGS/RETURN OF THE KING
7. Meryl Streep - ANGELS IN AMERICA
8. Al Pacino - ANGELS IN AMERICA
9. Patrick Wilson - ANGELS IN AMERICA
10. Jeffrey Wright - ANGELS IN AMERICA
11. Julianne Moore - THE HOURS
12. Nicholas Cage - ADAPTATION
13. Kenneth Branagh - HARRY POTTER AND THE CHAMBER OF SECRETS
14. Russell Crowe - MASTER AND COMMANDER
15. Hugh Jackman - X2 (just because he's the most gorgeous man working in movies at the moment)

MBarnum

« Reply #47 on: January 02, 2004, 09:11:20 AM »

Well, I saw no theater in 2003, and very few movies at the theater. I think I saw Chicago in 2003 and I would say that I very much enjoyed Queen Latifah...ditto for her role in Bringing Down the House, which I thought was a cute movie.

Derek Luke's performance in Antwone Fisher was a standout, but maybe that would be considered 2002.

OH, wait I did see View from the Top...but I don't think I will even comment on that film! LOL! Blech!

Andrea

« Reply #48 on: January 02, 2004, 09:12:16 AM »

Haha!  I learned from Jose and copied my post in case I got locked out of the old notes... which I did...

Andrea - CYGOPP?!?!?  I thought he was gone!  Damn it... more competition! :D

Jed {bat eyelashes, bat eyelashes} what flirting?

and um... yeah, he was gone, and he just made a dramatic return with half a dozen roses and jewlery.... opps?  :o

MBarnum

« Reply #49 on: January 02, 2004, 09:13:01 AM »

DR MBarnum - Great Pic!  Love the walker!  Where do you store it?  Do you put cut open tennis balls on the legs?  Is it easy to use? ;)  *Oh, upon closer inspection, is it one of those bathtub seats?

Ha, ha! Right now it is still in the trunk of my car! Fortunately I haven't had to use it yet in my old age!

Here I am trying to figure out how to use it. My friends and family just thought this gift was hoot! Well, I will get them back some day! LOL!
« Last Edit: January 02, 2004, 09:14:57 AM by MBarnum »

Matt H.

« Reply #50 on: January 02, 2004, 09:14:07 AM »

DR MBarnum, that's a great shot. The party looks like it would have been a total hoot.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #51 on: January 02, 2004, 09:17:38 AM »

Well, howdy, y'all. Okay, so it took me awhile to figure out how to post a message -- for all my linear-sequential brilliance (just ask bk...) I'm a total idiot with all this here new-fangled techno stuff. Thanks, Jane and Bruce, for your patience with my glacial slowness. And, for the record, my novel (that bk so generously touted the other day) would likely still be languishing unread by the unwashed, if not for El Kimmel's shepherding me through the publishing maze. And for the record, the Christmas Eve party was everything we could have hoped for, and more - especially in the carb department. Just by-the-by, are any of yuz in the Trenton-Philly-New Yawk area? I have a show coming up in your neck of the woods...
PennyO

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #52 on: January 02, 2004, 09:19:21 AM »

I like Mame and Auntie Mame equally (lots); each has its own strengths. The musical has Jerry Herman's glorious score and the underheralded Onna White's choreography. The movie has Rosalind Russell's unbeatable timing and delivery (a huuuuunt?/mo'nin') plus those Comden and Green touches, including "Byron Prong" (who gets billing on the Midsummer Madness poster and eventually turns up as Jack Cassidy in Fade Out, Fade In). I agree that the the fused Nora/Agnes role works superbly, and actually preferred Jane Connell (who I think replaced Alice Ghostley) to Peggy Cass.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #53 on: January 02, 2004, 09:21:48 AM »

Oh! and a question from a newbie: What's "DR"??? thanks.
PennyO

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #54 on: January 02, 2004, 09:24:36 AM »

LOL...D-I-T...."Midsummer Madness" what a funny and perfect title for Vera's play...LOL.  I love the audience reactions to it!

Russell does have perfect timing and inflection...."Are we all lit?"  "Oh Mr Babcock, you've gone out...."

"Am I revealed in your book?"  "Revealed?!  My dear, you are exposed!"

LOL what a thrill it must have been for the playwrights to have their lines so perfectly rendered!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #55 on: January 02, 2004, 09:25:04 AM »

DRPennyO - the DR is Dear Reader!  Welcome!

MBarnum

« Reply #56 on: January 02, 2004, 09:25:33 AM »

Welcom PennyO, I am glad you joined in the fun here!

DR stands for "Dear Reader", so you will often be referred to as DR PennyO!

:D

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #57 on: January 02, 2004, 09:25:34 AM »

Penny!!!  Welcome!!!  Now that you've filed your maiden post, it just gets easier.  So let's see lots of posts from the creator of "Jewish Thighs on Broadway."
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #58 on: January 02, 2004, 09:27:36 AM »

Bea Lillie in her autobiography suggests that she was even better than Rosalind Russell in Auntie Mame, but I just can't picture her in the role.

DR MBarnum - maybe you can get a part in The Producers?

And DR PennyO - welcome to HHW. In your honor I got out my CD of A Doll's Life. (Are you one of the women singing Rats and Mice and Fish?)

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #59 on: January 02, 2004, 09:28:30 AM »

I've hardly seen any 2003 movies, so I can't really do much of a list there.

Theatre-wise, I will make my list branch out to include some excellent regional and local theatre performances I saw this year, in addition to the 3 shows I saw in NYC.

Spencer Kayden, James Barbour (in for Jeff McCarthy), and John Cullum in URINETOWN
Harvey Fierstein and Kerry Butler in HAIRSPRAY
John Dossett and, yes, Bernadette Peters in GYPSY
Victoria Clark and Kelli O'Hara in THE LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA (Intiman Theatre, Seattle)
David Brameld as Norman in ON GOLDEN POND (Leavenworth Summer Theater)
Shanna Palmer as Annie in ANNIE GET YOUR GUN (Leavenworth Summer Theater)

Didn't you forget that talented young man that was in Scrooge in Leavenworth?  I think he was a ghost or something?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up