Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: MAH JONG  (Read 40647 times)

Ben

Re:MAH JONG
« Reply #60 on: March 14, 2007, 08:47:56 AM »

Even though it's cloudy it's a beautiful day in the neighborhood in New York, though cold weather is predicted for the weekend.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #61 on: March 14, 2007, 08:48:56 AM »

Has anyone ever seen the film Duet for One?  It starred Julie Andrews and was semi-based on the life of cellist Jacqueline du Pre.  It sounded interesting when discussed in Rupert Everett's recent memoir.  Which is entertaining, in a name-dropping sort of way, but not terribly well written.

Yes, I have seen it, and I have it on VHS. Julie was robbed of an Oscar nomination for this, one of the best performances she has ever given.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #62 on: March 14, 2007, 08:49:23 AM »

Yes, we're supposed to get back to temperatures below freezing by Sunday

Matt H.

« Reply #63 on: March 14, 2007, 08:50:52 AM »

Haven't decided on a DVD for the afternoon and early evening yet. I'm leaning toward the ROnald COlman PRISONER OF ZENDA, but I would like to finish up that LAW & ORDER: CI box, too.

Matt H.

« Reply #64 on: March 14, 2007, 08:51:46 AM »

For new TV tonight, BONES, LOST, and CROSSING JORDAN all have new episodes, and I'll record IDOL so I can zip through the results in five minutes before I get back on-line tonight.

Ginny

« Reply #65 on: March 14, 2007, 08:58:16 AM »

Wandering around in my library's online catalog, I found a novel with the following subject headings:

Documentary films-Production and Direction-Fiction
Women motion picture producers and directors-Fiction
Georgia-Fiction

Could Rosina Lippi's Tied to the Tracks be about DR Edi?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #66 on: March 14, 2007, 09:06:23 AM »

Good Morning! once again...

Greetings from the rehearsal hall... I'm sort of multi-tasking right now: the director is starting to block a scene, and I'm posting here on HHW.

-Gotta love that WiFi!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #67 on: March 14, 2007, 09:08:39 AM »

*And I scored major brownie points for finding that pic of Eartha Kitt and company in The Skin of Our Teeth.  Thank You, Google!
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #68 on: March 14, 2007, 09:08:56 AM »

DR Jose - thanks for the NYC hotel recommendation in last night's posts.  For now, I've decided to stick with the Comfort Inn-Midtown and made a reservation for June 28-July 2.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Matt H.

« Reply #69 on: March 14, 2007, 09:09:33 AM »

I see that DR Michael Shayne's movie collection comes out on DVD next week. COngratulations!

;D

Ginny

« Reply #70 on: March 14, 2007, 09:10:05 AM »

*And I scored major brownie points for finding that pic of Eartha Kitt and company in The Skin of Our Teeth.  Thank You, Google!

If this piano-playing thing doesn't work out for you, you'd make a great reference librarian  ;) !

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #71 on: March 14, 2007, 09:26:34 AM »

DR singdaw - Something that you should be able to find at your local drugstore or grocery store is that Neutrogena Norwegian Formula Hand Cream.  It's made for chapped hands.  And, thankfully, it now comes in a fragrance-free formula.  Now, if you don't mind smelling like you're wearing industrial strength Ben-Gay...
Make Your Own Luck.

Miss Karen

« Reply #72 on: March 14, 2007, 09:36:54 AM »

My inbox is now receptive, DR JRand.

oh, my.....no comment....... ;)

MusicGuy

• ...at an audition to accompany Guy Haines...
« Reply #73 on: March 14, 2007, 09:38:14 AM »

good morning Dear DR Jose.... you dear !  I hope this current gig turns out to be enjoyable for you.  What rehearsal space are you working in?  It's great that at least it's a Manhattan based thing, and you can be at home.

And it should only be a few more days until your "surprise" arrives at your urban estate!  

Matt H.

« Reply #74 on: March 14, 2007, 09:41:17 AM »

Guess I'll head down now and start thinking about what's for lunch.

WBBL.

MusicGuy

« Reply #75 on: March 14, 2007, 09:42:41 AM »

good morning DR Miss Karen..........now it's way too early for you to be using that twisted little mind of your's on DaTM's quote. :)   Aren't you supposed to be the model of a picture-perfect housewife, serving breakfast (with pearls on, of course) tending your spotless home in high heels, etc.

Oh wait.... maybe that was DR George (or newer DR "Naomi") that I was thinking of.

Hope all is wonderful up in the wilds of Prescott.  We are already hitting 90 degrees here in the valley, but it is really quite nice because the mornings and evenings are still very cool.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #76 on: March 14, 2007, 09:46:37 AM »

If this piano-playing thing doesn't work out for you, you'd make a great reference librarian  ;) !

Actually... When I was in grade-school, I had a wonderful school librarian, Mrs. Mahon.  We had "library class" once a week, and she always had great projects for us.  Sometimes we'd process the new books.  Other times, we'd make new dust jackets for books - the opaque projector got quite the workout.  She even taught us how to repair ripped pages with tissue paper and diluted Elmer's glue.  Other times we would just watch film strips and movies.  Oh, and, of course, she instilled the Dewey Decimal System in my brain. -And she even "hinted" at the LoC cataloging system.  And I still remember the "reasoning" as to why "Tschaikovsky" is filed as "Chaikovsky" at the LoC.

In other words, I did consider Library Science as a something to consider... Even to the point of wondering if I would like being a Music Librarian.
Make Your Own Luck.

MusicGuy

« Reply #77 on: March 14, 2007, 09:51:00 AM »

And a very good morning to dear Esteemed, rested, willowy, premiered, and machissimo BK --

Hopefully the nymphs and sprites of rest and sleep treated you well.  As far as Mah Jong, my 2 adopted Jewish moms (Frieda and Myrt) tried their damndest to teach me that game.  I learned Hearts from them very quickly, and could even beat them once in awhile.  

But I just couldn't "get" M.J. or how to play it.  And they explained all of the piece names..... stuff like "bams" and "winds" and "cracks"..... and God forbid, what would happen if you got your winds and your cracks intermingled??

So I stuck with Hearts.  Did the "Gelfinbaums" ever play mah jong ?

Miss Karen

« Reply #78 on: March 14, 2007, 09:54:29 AM »

good morning DR Miss Karen..........now it's way too early for you to be using that twisted little mind of your's on DaTM's quote. :)   Aren't you supposed to be the model of a picture-perfect housewife, serving breakfast (with pearls on, of course) tending your spotless home in high heels, etc.

Oh wait.... maybe that was DR George (or newer DR "Naomi") that I was thinking of.

Hope all is wonderful up in the wilds of Prescott.  We are already hitting 90 degrees here in the valley, but it is really quite nice because the mornings and evenings are still very cool.

Ahh, my charming cheeky monkey DR Music Guy.  It's never too early... I had just forgotten to put on the pearls -- once those go on, I become the picture of decorum... ;D...

Prescott is lovely this time of year...none of that summer-like heat up here -- more spring-like for us today, so if you get too hot (oh, you're already just too hot DR Music Guy --  ;) down in the Valley, climb the hill...

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #79 on: March 14, 2007, 09:57:39 AM »

Oh... The sound of those tiles being shuffled!  That was a very familiar sound from my childhood from the weekly family get-togethers.  The fathers would play pool or poker, and the mothers would play mahjongg.  And gossip.  And the kids would watch TV and/or run around the neighborhood trying not to get caught to stay out of trouble.  And usually until the wee hours of the morning.

I never played myself, but I thought the tiles looked cool.  And it was always quite fascinating at how fast the game could move at times.  -And just how fast those ladies could pick up and move those tiles with those nails, manicures!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 09:59:30 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #80 on: March 14, 2007, 09:58:55 AM »

Mah Jong is the wife of Pah Jong.

Mah and Pah Jong was a wonderful series of films!  I especially liked Mah and Pah Jong Go To Brazil, and my favorite, Mah and Pah Jong Meet Carl Jung.

Miss Karen

« Reply #81 on: March 14, 2007, 10:00:22 AM »

But I just couldn't "get" M.J. or how to play it.  And they explained all of the piece names..... stuff like "bams" and "winds" and "cracks"..... and God forbid, what would happen if you got your winds and your cracks intermingled??

You realize, DR Music Guy, mah jong orders from HHWers just jumped after your post.....(I decided not to wear the pearls today...)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #82 on: March 14, 2007, 10:01:54 AM »

And Mah and Pah Jong Meet Frankenstein
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #83 on: March 14, 2007, 10:03:10 AM »

ASK BK or anyone

I may have missed it, but did you explain why you decided not to release The Creature Wasn't Nice recording via Kritzerland? Did you announce what the label is?

Because a company approached me about it, and it seemed like they were keen on it, and I, at that time, hadn't done any filmmusic on Kritzerland, and they were going to do it first class and give me a lot of control over it, so I said yes.  The label is Buysoundtrax.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #84 on: March 14, 2007, 10:04:06 AM »

Both of those designs were by Hildy Santo Tomas who is still there....I go PAST the show now and then.

I agree with DR FJL that Paige anchored the show.  I know she was scheduled to go to NYC and take over one of the parts in CHICAGO and there was bad publicity about that....TRADING SPACES sort of forced her out.  I guess other people thought they were the reason we watched.  And shortly after Paige "left" the carpenter moved to network TV.

Not the same show now.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #85 on: March 14, 2007, 10:07:40 AM »

My question for ASK BK day.

What is the first REAL and TRUE television script you ever read, what did you think of it?  Did you take the part?

And what was the nicest standing set on a backlot you ever saw?

That is an interesting question.  I know the first TV script I read and then had to audition for was when I read and then tested for a Danny Arnold pilot towards the end of 1970.  I don't remember the show, but I liked the script.  But, I'm sure I had some sort of TV script in my possession before that, knowing the kind of child I was, and it may have been a Red Skelton or Danny Kays Show script.  I was fascinated by such things, and I know it would have been very interesting to me.

I liked the Partridge street - felt just like a real street.  It was on the Columbia Ranch backlot in Burbank (and still is).

Miss Karen

« Reply #86 on: March 14, 2007, 10:11:07 AM »

Ask BK Day:  

If the DVD of The Brain isn't made available to the public for purchase, then can we bribe DR Edi for underground copies on the black market?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #87 on: March 14, 2007, 10:11:19 AM »

I don't think anyone in our family played mah jong, but I do have a memory of watching the game, and it may have been a neighbor's family or the mother of the best friend in Kritzerland.

Jennifer

« Reply #88 on: March 14, 2007, 10:11:27 AM »

DR Dan, I think that was hildy (who stapled the flowers to a bathroom wall). I love hildy!

But actually for the first time ever i agree with DR Jrand! :)

I loved Trading Spaces but stopped watching after Paige Davis left (was fired).

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #89 on: March 14, 2007, 10:12:05 AM »

BK - POSSIBLE CUTTIN' UP SPOILER AHEAD

Cuttin' Up premiered at Arena Stage in Washington, DC.  It's basically Crowns - which was about African-American women and their Hats - from the male point of view.  It's set in a barber shop, and it's based on stories related from barbers and their customers.  And there are even some "famous people" who's stories are being told.  It's a light evening of entertainment.  Hopefully.  *Frankly, the thing I liked most about the production in DC was the "soundtrack" the director picked out.
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15   Go Up