Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16   Go Down

Author Topic: IN THE WORDS OF...  (Read 58670 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:IN THE WORDS OF...
« Reply #60 on: March 19, 2007, 08:51:44 AM »

I have only last night's WITHOUT A TRACE left to watch on the DVR, so I'll be DVDing it today. Exactly what I'll watch will depend on what comes in the mail.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #61 on: March 19, 2007, 08:54:03 AM »

Page Three Hermione, Ron, and Harry Dance!!!

Ginny

« Reply #62 on: March 19, 2007, 09:02:51 AM »

Monday morning greetings!  Today's my day off, so I'll be running errands, working on the AAUW/Ohio state convention (which is just a month away - yikes!), and accompanying my DH Richard to a shape-note singing demo that his Dayton group is going at one of the branches of my library system.

TOD -

The American President
Cradle Will Rock
Quiz Show - that one may be a stretch, but there are Congressional hearings...
Meet John Doe
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Matt H.

« Reply #63 on: March 19, 2007, 09:08:28 AM »

I'd have to put THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE at the top of my political movies list. ALL THE PRESIDENT'S MEN also ranks right up there.

Would JUDGMENT AT NUREMBERG qualify? If so, it ranks near the top as well.

Matt H.

« Reply #64 on: March 19, 2007, 09:10:45 AM »

Speaking of Hermione, I read that actress Emma Watson has declined to participate in the final POTTER films past the one that's opening this summer.

I haven't read the last two books, so I have to assume that Hermione doesn't die in THE HALF BLOOD PRINCE.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #65 on: March 19, 2007, 09:14:47 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]WRITING VIBES TO BK...[/move]

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #66 on: March 19, 2007, 09:15:32 AM »

OK, DR elmore3003, I'm finally going to ask -

Please explain the Toyland reference?

Thanks - :)

I'm grateful to DR Ben for his explanation since it saves me from patting myself on the back.  I've been editing a new performance/critical edition of BABES IN TOYLAND for the Packard Humanities Institute.  I've been assisted by DR FJL's partner Skip, and some other wonderful musicians, copyists, and scholars.  

The orchestra score will be two volumes: final text of the Sept 1904 first-class tour with appendices of all cut material written between March 1903 and 1905 and the later rewrites that became part of the version that Tams-Witmark rents to today.  Volume Two will be everything else related to Toyland from a Victor Herbert concert overture to the German operetta version Spielland for which no lyrics currrently exist to a 1923 revue sketch Toyland Today, which contains a cynical foxtrot version of "Toyland" similar to Shostakovich's version of "Tea For Two." The volume also will contain all the stock orchestra dance medleys, selections, and palm court arrangements done by Herbert's associate and orchestrator Otto Langey.  Hopefully, there will also be a new libretto and vocal score for this edition.

In 2001, John McGlinn recorded 3 CD's worth of music for BABES, but he missed some things, such as a missing comedy number that I discovered at the Library of Congress in 2003.  Thesediscs have yet to be released.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 09:26:37 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

FJL

« Reply #67 on: March 19, 2007, 09:33:59 AM »

In addition to the others mentioned, does ELECTION count for the TOD?  (Or was that already mentioned?)

Miss Karen

« Reply #68 on: March 19, 2007, 09:37:31 AM »

TOD:
I don't think I can add to the above list, but I suppose Mr. Smith Goes To Washington but I have never actually seen the movie except for the climatic seen where he collaspes after doing the fillerbuster. (sp?)

Mr. Smith Goes to Washington is on my list, too, and:
3 Days of the Condor
Good Night, and Good Luck
All the President's Men
Wag the Dog
Fahrenheit 9/11

Miss Karen

« Reply #69 on: March 19, 2007, 09:43:00 AM »

The original, not the remake.

Yes, the original is a classic...the remake  :P

Matt H.

« Reply #70 on: March 19, 2007, 09:46:54 AM »

Heading down now to clean up for lunch later.

WBBL.

Ginny

« Reply #71 on: March 19, 2007, 09:48:29 AM »

Off to do errands in the SW Ohio dreariness.

Bye for now.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Miss Karen

« Reply #72 on: March 19, 2007, 09:49:13 AM »

I'm grateful to DR Ben for his explanation since it saves me from patting myself on the back.  I've been editing a new performance/critical edition of BABES IN TOYLAND for the Packard Humanities Institute.  I've been assisted by DR FJL's partner Skip, and some other wonderful musicians, copyists, and scholars.  

The orchestra score will be two volumes: final text of the Sept 1904 first-class tour with appendices of all cut material written between March 1903 and 1905 and the later rewrites that became part of the version that Tams-Witmark rents to today.  Volume Two will be everything else related to Toyland from a Victor Herbert concert overture to the German operetta version Spielland for which no lyrics currrently exist to a 1923 revue sketch Toyland Today, which contains a cynical foxtrot version of "Toyland" similar to Shostakovich's version of "Tea For Two." The volume also will contain all the stock orchestra dance medleys, selections, and palm court arrangements done by Herbert's associate and orchestrator Otto Langey.  Hopefully, there will also be a new libretto and vocal score for this edition.

In 2001, John McGlinn recorded 3 CD's worth of music for BABES, but he missed some things, such as a missing comedy number that I discovered at the Library of Congress in 2003.  Thesediscs have yet to be released.

Listen to you, you little musical genius, you -- you make me so proud to have you as a friend.   :-*

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #73 on: March 19, 2007, 09:50:56 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]* * * * *  HEALTH VIBES FOR DC BOO  * * * * * [/move]
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #74 on: March 19, 2007, 09:51:34 AM »

Re:THE HIPPODROME? THE HIPPODROME
« Reply #389 on: Yesterday at 09:49:52pm »  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote from: FJL on Yesterday at 09:48:44pm
It's official:  Patti LuPone will play Rose in GYPSY at City Center trhis summer.  ARTHUR LAURENTS will direct.

To which François replied:

Good casting but.... GYPSY again?!?!?

What about a drag version of it for a change?!

Which part of "Patti LuPone will play Rose" wasn't clear to you?

;)

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Miss Karen

« Reply #75 on: March 19, 2007, 09:53:37 AM »

DR FJL -- Awwwww, how cuuuute to your avatar -- but why aren't you in the picture with them...just like DR Naomi needs to be in the tank with his fish ? ...we want to see your smiley faces (and not the icons, your real faces)...

Miss Karen

« Reply #76 on: March 19, 2007, 09:57:14 AM »

Healthy Vibes...and Happy Vibes ... to all DRers and their families, their pets and themselves

Everybody be well and happy out there!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #77 on: March 19, 2007, 09:57:59 AM »

Oh... And just to put this out there...

Does telling America that you came from a small town in the middle of nowhere a pre-requisite for having a beautiful voice?  Does telling a panel of judges that you LOVE singing and dancing mean that you can do eight shows a week?  Does knowing that you have a child mean your album will go right to #1?  No.

Does being hunky or cute or "just the sweetest thing" mean that this person -- in real life -- would ever have anything to do with the voters who cast hundreds of votes each week just for their "crush"?  

No.  In fact, most would run from their fans screaming in terror.

Talent should be the ONLY factor.  And most voters should wake up and check their hormones.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #78 on: March 19, 2007, 09:58:35 AM »

Everybody be well and happy out there!

Thanks, Sarge!

Miss Karen

« Reply #79 on: March 19, 2007, 09:59:03 AM »

...wish I could go to dinner tonight with Boo-Key, his ever lovin' and our fearless leader ... :'(

Miss Karen

« Reply #80 on: March 19, 2007, 10:00:28 AM »

Thanks, Sarge!

Now, hit the ground and give me sixty!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #81 on: March 19, 2007, 10:02:06 AM »

Good morning. That is all.

Insufficient data....

Miss Karen

« Reply #82 on: March 19, 2007, 10:08:41 AM »

Oh... And just to put this out there...

As for "Grease..." and "American Idol":  People - like DR Jennifer (and I'm not singling you out, DR Jennifer) - have complained that some contestants get more air time than others. Consequently, you - and "America" - do not get a chance to know them.

What one has to keep in mind is that those contestants do have a lot of control over what gets on camera.  And what does not.  They choose which parts of their life they wish to talk about.  Or not talk about.  Conversely, their parents, brothers, sisters, friends, teachers, coaches, etc., also have a choice as to whether or not they want to be on camera (they have to sign a release), and as to what to say about the contestants if they do choose to be on camera.

There are some private people out there.  People who do not want their face plastered over millions of TV sets.  People who do not want to be put up for some admiration and/or ridicule - most likely ridicule.

So, just because we don't see and hear about a particular contestant and their background doesn't necessarily mean that the producers of the show may not have totally made that decision.  The contestant may have simply chosen not to be so open and forthcoming about their background.  And there's nothing wrong or right about that.

In a "real Broadway audition", when someone walks into a room, all the people behind the table have to go on is a picture and resume, and the song(s) and monologue(s) that that person presents at that time.  -And, yes, we go by their reputation - good or bad - too.  We do not know whether or not they were fat when they growing up.  We do not know whether or not they had just recovered from some disease.  We do not know that their parents are praying for them.  All we know - and all we want to know - is how talented they are according to how they came across in their audition.  -Hearing about the tribulations and triumphs of their life comes after the fact, if at all.

What has really gotten to me about shows like "American Idol" and "Grease...." is that people are judging these contestants on parts of their life that may or may not have any bearing on just how talented they are.  And the shows are set up that way.  There is manipulation going on from every side - including from the contestants.  Does telling America that you came from a small town in the middle of nowhere a pre-requisite for having a beautiful voice?  Does telling a panel of judges that you LOVE singing and dancing mean that you can do eight shows a week?  Does knowing that you have a child mean your album will go right to #1?  No.

Unfortunately, I have a sense that some contestants may have been penalized in a sense by choosing not to be so open about their life.  And/or having friends and family who did not want to be put into the public eye.

Is there anything wrong with wanting and choosing to be primarily judged/chosen based on your talent alone?

Amen, brother!  I personally do like like being manipulated, so the more sappy the story, the more that contestant turns me off.  True talent is what turns me on -- if I want a soap opera, I'll turn one on during the day -- but hey, it's reality (albeit scripted and edited) TV  -- and we're eatin' it up!  ... hook, line and sinker!  Hee-Hah!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #83 on: March 19, 2007, 10:11:43 AM »

If we're including documentaries with a political theme, then Point of Order.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #84 on: March 19, 2007, 10:12:08 AM »

It's very gray out again - which means I may not jog again.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #85 on: March 19, 2007, 10:12:19 AM »

Oh, and I'm up again.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #86 on: March 19, 2007, 10:13:58 AM »

I think dear reader Jose's post about Grease was perfectly put.  In a real audition, people are judged on their talent.  Period.  But TV is TV and they need the drama - nothing has changed since the days of Queen For A Day - it's just slicker and more obnoxious and a lot more blatant.  

Miss Karen

« Reply #87 on: March 19, 2007, 10:14:23 AM »

Amen, brother!  I personally do like like being manipulated, so the more sappy the story, the more that contestant turns me off.  True talent is what turns me on -- if I want a soap opera, I'll turn one on during the day -- but hey, it's reality (albeit scripted and edited) TV  -- and we're eatin' it up!  ... hook, line and sinker!  Hee-Hah!

Of course, if DR Jane was on AI and showed us that baby picture of Sherlock, I'd be text-messaging like a fool...

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #88 on: March 19, 2007, 10:16:43 AM »

It's interesting to me that Hairspray the film is now doing exactly what Dreamgirls the film did - i.e. after some clips were shown at Show West, they are sending people all over the Internet to create positive, glowing buzz (and the people include composer Marc Shaiman, who posts on both of the big B'way boards).  This little tactic backfired on Dreamgirls ultimately, and if Hairspray continues to go down that road, it will backfire on them.  Let people find the movie.  

Miss Karen

« Reply #89 on: March 19, 2007, 10:24:13 AM »

Page flip
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16   Go Up