Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: THE ROADRUNNER (BEEP BEEP)  (Read 39230 times)

Cillaliz

Re:THE ROADRUNNER (BEEP BEEP)
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2007, 06:46:14 AM »

Audition Vibes for DR Cason....the don't photograph those auditions, do they? ;)

Cillaliz

« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2007, 06:47:21 AM »

I"m running late AGAIN. That's not my style but it has been since the time change. I could blame that or the equinox....but I think I'll blame Jose...

Gotta run laters

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2007, 06:59:46 AM »

Good morning, all.

Is anyone here familiar with the software product Notion 1.5?  It is advertised in the new Opera News, and sounds kind of intriguing:

Wield total control over the music you love and experience the power and nuance of every note in ways never before possible.  NOTION offers innovative music software that places the London Symphony Orchestra directly into your hands.  Explore and even conduct treasured works with a full, responsive orchestra at your fingertips.

Intriguing!

You can find more information here.

That's a cool site, and a cool product.  They've also had a booth set-up at a couple of conferences that past few years.

It's basically an extension of the SmartMusic system that was developed for school programs so that students could practice their music with full accompaniment and in real time.  That whole process still boggles my mind - I mean, the program actually 'listens' to the player and follows him/her.  SmartMusic started off with just piano accompaniments, but soon expanded to orchestral accompaniments.  It's a handy practice tool when it comes time to preparing for Solo and Ensemble festival and other competitions.

As for Notion itself, strangely enough, the one aspect of the program I haven't been too thrilled with is the sound of the program.  Yes, they sampled players from the London Symphony Orchestra, but they still sound "sample-y".  At least in the composition end of the product.  From the way they write about their own product, one would expect that the playback would also be a bit intuitive, but it's not.  -However, I do have to say the note entry interface is quite nice, with a very fast learning curve.  The sounds are nice, but unless you start to embed all the crescendos and diminuendos, and all the natural "tapering" that real players do, it can sound a bit mechanical.  It's good, just misleading in a sense.

Be sure to check out the LSO's own website.  There are some great educational tools on the site, and, if I'm remembering correctly, an interactive tour of the orchestra.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2007, 07:02:01 AM »

DR Edi- I'm staying at the Sheraton Atlanta at 165 Courtland Street NE. If I'm right it isn't that far from the Georgia Dome, so I'm sure I'll see lots of crazy basketball fans

That's right down the street from where I stayed a few weeks ago.  Take a taxi after dark.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2007, 07:03:12 AM »

BREAK A LEG, ANTHONY!!!

~~~~~BE BRILLIANT~~~~~
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2007, 07:04:39 AM »

OK... The exterminator has still not shown up, and I have to get ready to leave, so...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

singdaw

« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2007, 07:07:34 AM »

Thanks for the feedback, DR JoseSPiano.

I'm still stuck back on the "wield total control" part!  :)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2007, 07:13:52 AM »

Ot! Good morning, all!  I did not want to get out of bed this morning.  Now that I'm up, I have several errands to run, and this afternoon the folk from Rodgers & Hammerstein will come to listen to my sound mixes.

I'm reading the most wonderful book at the moment: DIVAS AND SCHOLARS by Philip Gossett, who is in charge of the University of Chicago-Ricordi complete critical editions of Rossini and Verdi.  The book is basically a collection of his writings for the past 40 years of experience in editing, reconstructing, and performing these editions of 19th-Century Italian opera.  It's quite wonderful and enthralling.  And I thought I was encountering problems in early musical comedy for the first time!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Auditions Vibes for DRs Cason & Anthony! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[/move]
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

singdaw

« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2007, 07:16:17 AM »

I've already...shaved

DR JoseSPiano is not practicing pogonotrophy.

Ginny

« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2007, 07:24:46 AM »

Wednesday morning greetings!  Spring rains predicted here today.

Audition vibes for Anthony and DR Cason!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

FJL

« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2007, 07:43:06 AM »

Break-a-leg vibes to Anthony!!!

FJL

« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2007, 07:43:39 AM »

Break-a-leg vibes to Cason!!!

singdaw

« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2007, 07:51:46 AM »

bk, DR Cason, and Kevin Spirtas all together at the same time.

Can any one room  stand such studliness?

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2007, 07:55:34 AM »

Broken legs to Cason and Anthony!!
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Miss Karen

« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2007, 08:27:31 AM »

FULL MONTY VIBES TO BOO-KEY!!  

... Safe Travel Vibes to San Diego, too

Miss Karen

« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2007, 08:29:36 AM »

Knock'em Dead, Case and Anthony!!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2007, 08:36:38 AM »

bk, DR Cason, and Kevin Spirtas all together at the same time.

Can any one room  stand such studliness?

I'd be willing to try.
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #47 on: March 21, 2007, 08:49:43 AM »

BK - I don't have a question, but wanted to say Welcome to Road Runner.  Hope you like it as much as we do!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #48 on: March 21, 2007, 09:03:00 AM »

Here's an "expert" recap of last night's "American Idol"... Quite a fun read.

The Quality of Mersey
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #49 on: March 21, 2007, 09:11:28 AM »

...And it's also been interesting to read that even though The Beatles were featured in the intro for the show last night, the contestants had no access to the Beatles' catalog since the rights are still tied up due to Michael Jackson, Paul McCartney - and his ongoing divorce proceedings.
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2007, 09:11:45 AM »

Vibes for great auditions and offers of work for both DR Cason and DH Anthony! Hope to see you both on-stage soon!

MBarnum

« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2007, 09:13:03 AM »

BK question:

On my trip to L.A. I plan to visit Bronson Canyon to see the area where so many of my favorite films (NIGHT OF THE BLOOD BEAST, HOT CAR GIRL, VIKING WOMEN AND THE SEA SERPENT, EARTH VS THE SPIDER) were filmed.

My question for you is have you ever filmed on location at Bronson Canyon and have you ever been inside of that cave?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2007, 09:14:08 AM by MBarnum »

singdaw

« Reply #52 on: March 21, 2007, 09:13:55 AM »

OK.  Talking streaming sound recording software - does anyone have any suggestions for a preferred product?

I want to record the Wall-to-Wall Sondheim rebroadcast from XM  off my computer this coming Saturday.  I recorded the original broadcast 2 years ago, but the resulting sound quality was rather disappointing.  Just wondering what software products other DRs use.  Intuitiveness/ease of use always a plus!

Thanks!   :) :)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #53 on: March 21, 2007, 09:26:25 AM »

Good morning!

Kind of overcast here, but since I've been working on my taxes since 8 a.m., I hadn't really paid much attention to the weather.

Anyway, they're done and e-filed, so that's basically over with for another year.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #54 on: March 21, 2007, 09:28:10 AM »

You wouldn't want to get into rehearsals and discover that someone has three nipples or six toes on one foot, now would you?

I am highly intrigued by the notion of nipples on toes...this would be a fetishistic delight, no!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matt H.

« Reply #55 on: March 21, 2007, 09:28:15 AM »

Broken legs and crossed fingers for DR Cason and DR Ben's ever lovin' Ant on their auditions today.

Matt H.

« Reply #56 on: March 21, 2007, 09:30:16 AM »

I dreamed that it was Gina who got voted out tonight on IDOL. Usually I don't dream about these things, but it must have been on my mind. I really did not like what she did last night. Of course, I hated what Sanjaya did, but he seems protected.

I read that the judges may have praised him to create less sympathy for him. I don't buy that.

Ben

« Reply #57 on: March 21, 2007, 09:30:17 AM »

I use a shareware program to record my spots from the BBC. It's called

Audio Record Wizard

The trial version limits you to 3 minutes which wouldn't work for Wall to Wall (or much else for that matter). The full version costs $25. I'm happy with it. You can't do much with it other than record streaming audio but it's easy to use and inexpensive.

Another program, which is free (even better), is

Audacity

It's a pretty full-featured program which lets you record and edit in a number of different formats. I use it to put together my BBC pieces when I burn them to CD. I don't use the record feature much because I'm so use to Audio Record Wizard. I think Audacity comes as the software for a USB turntable so others on this site may be able to speak to the recording quality.

The sound quality from both Audacity and Audio Record Wizard is, to my untrained ears, very good. I have no problems with either program in that respect.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2007, 09:32:23 AM by Ben »

Matt H.

« Reply #58 on: March 21, 2007, 09:31:34 AM »

I think THE OLD FASHIONED WAY is the next Fields movie in the set. Another one that I haven't seen, so I'll probably be viewing it today at some point.

I have BOSTON LEGAL from last night to watch, too.

Matt H.

« Reply #59 on: March 21, 2007, 09:32:45 AM »

STARZ Cinema Channel (which shows movies in their original aspect ratios) had both SHORT CUTS and LAYER CAKE on yesterday, and I recorded both of them having never seen either. I may get to LAYER CAKE today.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14   Go Up