Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16   Go Down

Author Topic: FINISHING THE BOOK  (Read 43012 times)

Tomovoz

Re:FINISHING THE BOOK
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2007, 06:39:44 AM »

Good Morning from Oz.  Good night from OZ.

Now I know why Mikey had heard of Rod Lauren. I didn't think he'd taken up sandles and togas.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Ginny

« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2007, 06:57:57 AM »

Saturday morning greetings!  It's a work Saturday for me, all information-waitressing, and we have a lot of subs on board today.  Could be a l-o-n-g day...
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

FJL

« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2007, 06:59:28 AM »

singdaw - Did you say yesterday that you would have liked to hear MORE of the book on the Last Starfighter CD?  So glad to hear that the book segments on the CD aren't wearing out their welcome; I was concerned at one point that perhaps we had put too much of the book on there.

FJL

« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2007, 07:05:24 AM »

But thanks so much for your kind words about the CD.  they are much appreciated.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2007, 07:38:21 AM »

I hope the Easter Bunny has skis!

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

singdaw

« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2007, 07:40:27 AM »

Actually, DR FJL, I was just trying to be funny about the fact that the book writer ALWAYS gets short-changed on any show CD.  But no, I don't feel it is overdone on Starfighter.

singdaw

« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2007, 07:56:26 AM »

Good morning, DR SWW.  Although you're probably already at work now.

Commiserations over the grandlads.  Bring them on over to HHW...we'd bring them up to be fine, upstanding netizens.  With a penchant for the bawdy, perhaps, but...   :)

singdaw

« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2007, 08:01:13 AM »

In light of the recent Christie's auction, today's NY Times has an interesting op-ed piece on Stradivari fiddles here.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2007, 08:12:30 AM »

YARD SHOTS

der Brucer
« Last Edit: April 07, 2007, 08:18:15 AM by DERBRUCER »

DERBRUCER

« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2007, 08:13:14 AM »

Fletcher Exploring:

der Brucer
« Last Edit: April 07, 2007, 08:14:38 AM by DERBRUCER »

DERBRUCER

« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2007, 08:19:16 AM »

BLONDS HAVE MORE FUN

der Brucer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2007, 08:27:20 AM »

Good morning, all!  I slept well, I'm alive, and I have few plans today.  It's depressing being aimless in Southwestern Ohio!  If I had the gumption I'd drive to Indianapolis and terrorize DR JRand56, who is now a state-of-the-art home media maven.  Congrats, DR JRand56, you sound very happy about it all!

I may go out with Randy and Jo tonight, and I may call friends to see if their afternoon is open.  Otherwise I shall lie here like so much fish and finish TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD, a book I haven't read in 40+ years.

Yesterday, the Macbeths tried to pull something over on Randy and me, and that was quashed very easily.  They're tricky, and needlessly so, but greed is more than a film with Zasu Pitts.  I've also had a round with "Maestro" McGlinn this week, as you may or may not know, and there's much I'd like to say but cannot.

DR Cillaliz, I mentioned that I wanted to see the news broadcast when you first announced it, so add me to the list as well.

TOD:  Romantic evenings? Some of us are still waiting for the phone to ring.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2007, 08:45:20 AM »

Good morning, DR SWW.  Although you're probably already at work now.

He is at work- having dragged my sorry ass tired bones out of bed to give him a lift!

I stayed up late throwing my shows at FOX News shows >:(

A: Rosie's comments from the far-left are no more whacko than Robertson/Shafly from the far right - if you don't like them use the OFF button. (Rosie's rants get much more air time on Fox than they do on ABC!

B: The Virginia Beach vehicular homicides are about DRUNK DRIVING, not ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION!

C: The UK and IRAN are NOT at war. The British soldier's were not POW's, they were kidnap victims, and had no actionable intelligence to give to their captors; they should have been free to say whatever was necessary to get released (which I suspect is the UK Navy policy). To listen to some semi-senile US war vet suggest they hadn't been "tortured enough" to justify their statements while in captivity is obscene!

We now return you to your regular station.

der Brucer
« Last Edit: April 07, 2007, 08:50:29 AM by DERBRUCER »

FJL

« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2007, 08:49:13 AM »

Cilla - Please add me to the list of people anxious to see your weather telecats.

FJL

« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2007, 08:49:58 AM »

Spoo, meant telecast, of course, not telecats.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2007, 08:50:03 AM »

TOD:  Romantic evenings? Some of us are still waiting for the phone to ring.

Your fire-escape trysts don't count ::)

der Brucer

Read "The Randy Vicar and the Bondage Baton"

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #46 on: April 07, 2007, 08:51:50 AM »

Will we never get to page two?

Of course we will.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2007, 08:52:06 AM »

I liked your first ides:

Cilla and and the Weather Telecats!

der Brucer

Matt H.

« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2007, 08:54:00 AM »

Good morning!

ANother beautiful but cool day here. It's exactly what spring ought to be, but we got spoiled with those low 80s temperatures a week or two ago, and were already thinking shorts and summer and swimming, etc. Not yet.

Matt H.

« Reply #49 on: April 07, 2007, 08:57:22 AM »

This morning, I sat down to watch BRUTE FORCE on a new Criterion DVD I just received. I'd never seen the movie before, and it was worth the wait. Endlessly compelling and with a cast of character actors that just wouldn't quit, some of them in their first film. And I guess I gflanced away during the credits or they didn't register with me, but how surprised was I when Yvonne De Carlo and Ann Blyth turned up in flashbacks detailing how Howard Duff and Burt Lancaster got caught and sent to prison in the first place!

Matt H.

« Reply #50 on: April 07, 2007, 08:59:27 AM »

I have the rest of the Criterion disc to explore (commentary, one video interview, the trailer), and then I may either watch a WILD WILD WEST episode or LAYER CAKE, depending on how much time I have left in the afternoon.

Tonight, THE LAKE HOUSE is premiering on HBO-HD. I didn't see it in the theater, and I didn't rent or buy the DVD when it was released, so this will be my first time experiencing it.

Matt H.

« Reply #51 on: April 07, 2007, 09:05:05 AM »

DR JRand,

I'm sure you discovered the HD channels on your digital cable, but just to make sure I've touched the bases, let me remind you that the regular analog channels of your local stations are not the HD channels. Several people I've helped calibrate their systems had NO idea that the HD channels were in a different place than their analog (standard definition) counterparts. Once I showed them where the HD channels were, they couldn't believe they had been watching their local channels in standard def and thinking that THIS was what high def was all about. Once they saw the real HD channels, they were amazed.

On my digital cable system (Time Warner), the CBS affiliate is Channel 2, but the CBS-HD channel is Channel 225. See what I mean? In a very different place from the regular channels.

Matt H.

« Reply #52 on: April 07, 2007, 09:10:31 AM »

I know my first partner and I spent many romantic evenings while we were together, but that ended in 1990, and I've simply forgotten them in the 17 years since we parted. I do remember a memorable weekend at a beautiful bed and breakfast run by a gay couple, so we were free to be ourselves with no fear of censure.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #53 on: April 07, 2007, 09:12:15 AM »

DR JRand,

I'm sure you discovered the HD channels on your digital cable, but just to make sure I've touched the bases, let me remind you that the regular analog channels of your local stations are not the HD channels.

He should also check for HDTV varients of regular cable cable channels like Discovery, non-local PBS, and TNT.

He MUST see Fritz in the shower in HD!

der Brucer

singdaw

« Reply #54 on: April 07, 2007, 09:35:05 AM »

For those who are interested, sh-k-boom's second pressing of the limited edition LP/CD of The Drowsy Chaperone is now available at their web site.  The first run quickly sold out.  It's basically the same material as the previously released OBC, but packaged as the actual OBC of the original [fictitious] show.  I believe it costs $50!     :(

Matt H.

« Reply #55 on: April 07, 2007, 09:38:09 AM »

He should also check for HDTV varients of regular cable cable channels like Discovery, non-local PBS, and TNT.

He MUST see Fritz in the shower in HD!

Yes, that was what I was trying to say albeit clumsily. On my digital cable service, all of the HD offerings come in Channels 200 or later, channels that often many people don't even bother exploring. The trouble is, other standard definition offerings are mixed in among the HD channels, so it does take some exploring.

But there is SUCH a difference in TNT-HD or Discovery HD Theater from their standard definition counterparts.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2007, 09:38:49 AM by Matt H. »

Matt H.

« Reply #56 on: April 07, 2007, 09:40:21 AM »

I have some writing to do and then will head down to start on lunch preparations.

WBBL.

Miss Karen

« Reply #57 on: April 07, 2007, 09:58:09 AM »

I don't know, I kind'a like telecats -- sounds hip and funky and cool -- gettin' the news from some telecats --- right-o, daddy-o!  Craaazy!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2007, 10:13:30 AM by Miss Karen »

Miss Karen

« Reply #58 on: April 07, 2007, 10:00:17 AM »

DR TCB ~ Case started to send some of The Brain pix yesterday -- but the files were taking forever to download, so he'll reduce them today and send them post haste...

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #59 on: April 07, 2007, 10:00:36 AM »

I used to have telecats---they would fight over who got to sit on top of the TV, where it was warm. Now that I have a flat HG screen, they are finding other options. But this will be their last winter in a cold house. The new one has cetral heat. Hurrah!

I hope they're staying warm in sub-freezing Atlanta!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16   Go Up