Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16   Go Down

Author Topic: FRENCHING  (Read 62606 times)

singdaw

Re:FRENCHING
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2007, 04:48:58 AM »

Yes: ditto thank you's to DR FJL for the 110 review.  I dug out my recordings of this show in tribute.

Ben

« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2007, 04:53:37 AM »

Unfortunately, at least for me, the report on Deuce is not good.

It is always wonderful to see two stars who are also excellent craftspeople (Angela Lansbury and Marian Seldes). I can watch them do most anything. The play in which they are appearing, though, leaves much to be desired. It's a new Terrence McNally piece and I have to ask why did he write this? The play is weak, trite and at times just plain vulgar. Did he think it was funny to have Lansbury spout the "F" word and the "C" word? If she had been consistently crass and vulgar as a character this might have worked but both characters are wildly inconsistent. I get the feeling things are being revised during previews because there are times when both actresses seem to be looking for lines. I purposely didn't read much about the show before seeing it so I thought it was a two-hander but it's not. The problem is, the other three people in the show are really expendable. They have little purpose and I didn't care for the sportscasters at all. The "fan" of the two tennis pros does have a nice scene with them but his other appearances could be cut without affecting the play at all, but then it would be even shorter than the 90 minutes (no intermission) it already is. The silly prattle by the sportcasters could also be cut and the play might be better for it.

As I said in the beginning, it's wonderful to see two stellar actors on stage and they work very hard to make a mediocre play better. Unfortunately, they don't always succeed. I think they will get good notices but I think Mr. McNally's play will be trashed by the time the show opens on May 6th. It has a "strictly limited engagement" of 18 weeks and I doubt that it will go beyond those 18 weeks.

Ben

« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2007, 04:54:50 AM »

Pea Soup is one of my favorite soups. Not French, really but I still love a good pea soup with croutons!

Tomovoz

« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2007, 04:54:54 AM »

110 is one of those shows I would so like to see. I doubt it has ever been staged in this country yet the score is beautiful. It's also rare to see a production of "She Loves Me" which is close to perfect IMHO.

I do hope the production of 110 is shown on TV and some kind and thoughtful (aren't they all) Kimlet sends me a copy on DVD.

"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Ben

« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2007, 04:55:51 AM »

And I also like The Rainmaker. I have seen some not very good actors destroy monologues from the show but it's still a very good piece.

singdaw

« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2007, 04:56:00 AM »

TOD:

I've mentioned it before, but the BEST French meal I ever had was very simple: fresh brie on the best baguette I'd ever tasted, devoured on a street corner in Paris.  I guess that's not necessarily a French meal, but they're inexorably linked in my mind!

Ben

« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2007, 04:59:17 AM »

Good Morning to all. The obvious has been done so life can go on.

I am listening to the overture from Little Me right now on Songs from the Shows. It's a BBC show broadcast on Radio Cleveland (Cleveland in the UK, not Ohio). There are more of these shows then you might think. There is also a musicals radio show broadcast from BBC Radio Devon, and Miss Paige on BBC 2. I must admit I do find her "perkiness" a bit wearing and I don't listen to her show every week. Loving Drowsy Chaperone as much as I do, I wonder how Miss Paige will do playing the Chaperone. She's "starring" in the show even though she's not the star of the show. Ah, Show Business.

singdaw

« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2007, 04:59:20 AM »

Thanks, DR Ben.  Always thoroughly enjoy your theatre news & views.  Too bad about that play; those noble women deserve better!

Ginny

« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2007, 04:59:28 AM »

Off to eat breakfast and take DH Richard to physical therapy.

Bye for now.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2007, 04:59:35 AM »

And what about Mildred Plotka?

(an On the 20th Century reference)

That's nice, too.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2007, 05:01:55 AM »

Angela Lansbury saying the "F" word for 18 weeks....  Oh dear.  It might have been interesting if Mrs. Iselin could have said it....

singdaw

« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2007, 05:03:06 AM »

It's also rare to see a production of "She Loves Me" which is close to perfect IMHO.

Ah, dear DR Tomovoz...I will never love any show as much as I love She Loves Me.  You're absolutely right; it's perfect!  What a shame that the BBC telecast production was so abridged.  Or that the movie version with Julie Andrews and Dick van Dyke never came to fruition.

singdaw

« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2007, 05:07:30 AM »

I just noticed at the bottom of the screen where it indicates that bk's © on the HHW Community Forum expired in 2004.

What if the Weisslers pick up the option?   :o

Tomovoz

« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2007, 05:08:04 AM »

EEK I didn't know there was a BBC telecast.  DP Colin and I saw the London production (1995)
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2007, 05:11:33 AM »

Goodnight DRs.

(TCB - has a very young Eddie Hodges arrived at your door?)
James Thurber 1957

Ben

« Reply #45 on: April 19, 2007, 05:11:52 AM »

Like Tom, I spent 6 weeks in rural northern France in Normandy (we were not there at the same time), specifically

Honfleur

The picture in that link doesn't do it justice. The Vieux Bassin is a gorgeous little Quai. You can sit and drink coffee or eat a pastry and sink into heaven.

Each meal was wonderful though I still marvel at the practice of eating a full meal at 11pm and not finishing until 1am.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2007, 05:13:02 AM by Ben »

singdaw

« Reply #46 on: April 19, 2007, 05:13:22 AM »

a very young Eddie Hodges

Is that anything like the young Mr. Grace?    ;)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #47 on: April 19, 2007, 05:16:36 AM »

Off to work....are you being served?

Tomovoz

« Reply #48 on: April 19, 2007, 05:19:38 AM »

We were visiting  Honfleur in 2001 Ben.  
Beautiful place indeed.

The leisurely meals of France - a great tradition.
James Thurber 1957

singdaw

« Reply #49 on: April 19, 2007, 05:23:36 AM »

....are you being served?

Is that served, or serviced?    ;)

And I am unanimous in that.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2007, 05:31:44 AM by singdaw »

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #50 on: April 19, 2007, 05:32:49 AM »

From today's New York Times article on novelty male underwear:

..and not a PINK one in the bunch!    ;)

It must be a slow news day at the NYT.  Not that I'm complainin'...
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #51 on: April 19, 2007, 05:39:55 AM »

I just noticed at the bottom of the screen where it indicates that bk's © on the HHW Community Forum expired in 2004.

What if the Weisslers pick up the option?   :o

They have.  I've already been told that Brooke Shields is replacing me next month.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #52 on: April 19, 2007, 05:41:28 AM »

I'm feeling a little queasy in the tummy this morning, so I don't want to think about French food right now.  Maybe later...
-- Anaïs Nin

singdaw

« Reply #53 on: April 19, 2007, 05:50:10 AM »

Brooke Shields is replacing me next month.

;D ;D

FJL

« Reply #54 on: April 19, 2007, 06:11:28 AM »

I'll likely be relatively E&T (entertained and traveling, or errant and truant) starting this afternoon through Sunday evening.  My internet acccess will be severely limited while I'm at the hotel in Poittsburgh, or so I've been led to believe.

FJL

« Reply #55 on: April 19, 2007, 06:12:30 AM »

If I can't get to Poittsburgh, I'll at least try to get to Pittsburgh.

:)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #56 on: April 19, 2007, 07:34:16 AM »

Good morning!

Another white sky day and we may get more rain today. It showered briefly during the night. I guess April showers are what she should expect. We've certainly had them this year.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #57 on: April 19, 2007, 07:38:21 AM »

Ah, dear DR Tomovoz...I will never love any show as much as I love She Loves Me.  You're absolutely right; it's perfect!  What a shame that the BBC telecast production was so abridged.  Or that the movie version with Julie Andrews and Dick van Dyke never came to fruition.

I could not agree more. I was lucky enough to see the original, and it was pure, unadulterated joy from beginning to end. And Julie Andrews and Dick Van Dyke would have been perfection in a movie version. What a missed opportunity! (When SHE LOVES ME fell through, there was also talk of I DO! I DO! for them; that would also have been wonderful.)
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #58 on: April 19, 2007, 07:38:30 AM »

I hear I've got the Macbeths' collective panties in a bunch again.  

Jibes to the Macbeth's

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%] :P >:( :P >:( :P >:( :P >:( :P >:( :P >:( :P >:( :P >:( :P[/move]

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #59 on: April 19, 2007, 07:39:19 AM »

TOD:
I, too, have had some wonderful food in Montreal. In fact, I think you'd be hard-pressed to find a bad meal in Montreal. I've also had wonderful food in other parts of Quebec.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16   Go Up