Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: NOTES IN A HURRY  (Read 69121 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:NOTES IN A HURRY
« Reply #120 on: April 29, 2007, 01:30:07 PM »

I began my afternoon by watching (and dubbing to a DVD-R) TEXAS CARNIVAL, a 1951 Esther Williams - Howard Keel - Red Skelton - Ann Miller musical. Not one of the greatest in the MGM canon, that's for sure, but I've always liked a couple of the tunes, and Howard Keel is always a pleasure to look at and listen to. And that fantasy sequence when Esther swims around Howard Keel's living room is a lovely touch.

I had been trying to win a laserdisc Esther Williams double feature on Ebay for a year or so of EASY TO WED/TEXAS CARNIVAL. Now, I have DVD-Rs of both of them, so I don't have to search for it any more.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #121 on: April 29, 2007, 01:32:18 PM »

More Oakland Bridge

Remember - Rosie said fire can't hurt steel!

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Matt H.

« Reply #122 on: April 29, 2007, 01:32:34 PM »

Page Five Ron Weasley Dance!!!

Matt H.

« Reply #123 on: April 29, 2007, 01:33:53 PM »

I meant to mention that the print used on TCM for TEXAS CARNIVAL looked very good. Very strong Technicolor and not much damage or many artifacts that I noticed.

Matt H.

« Reply #124 on: April 29, 2007, 01:37:57 PM »

Next, I went to the to-watch shelf and plucked off the classic STAGECOACH which I had bought some years ago but hadn't gotten around to watching on DVD. A great film, of course, but this DVD (which is several years old; there may be a newer one out by now) features a transfer that is none the worse for wear.

Is this really the best available print of this masterful film? If so, what a crime! It needs extensive restoration to get rid of all the scratches, damage, etc. There were scenes that were very heavy in contrast and grain which I suspect had to be gotten from some other source to replace damaged or missing scenes.

The film is so wonderful that one can tolerate a lot to watch it, but why shouldn't it look as good as Ford's THE GRAPES OF WRATH, HOW GREEN WAS MY VALLEY, or MY DARLING CLEMENTINE on DVD? (Well, those three are Fox films and have been taken marvelous care of; I guess STAGECOACH was let to rot somewhere.)

Matt H.

« Reply #125 on: April 29, 2007, 01:39:17 PM »

I finished my afternoon watching a Disney True-Lfe Adventure - SECRETS OF LIFE which I hadn't seen in some time. Again, Disney has cleaned the master thoroughly for this DVD though they didn't make it quite as sharp as THE LIVING DESERT or some of the others in this series. Still, it's a pleasure to watch.

Ginny

« Reply #126 on: April 29, 2007, 01:55:35 PM »

Back from a delightful Panera lunch with DH Richard and a short trip to Barnes & Noble.  I'd won a B&N gift card at work, for contributing to the local arts consortium, so used it to purchase the HBO Elizabeth I DVD set.  This summer, my book group will read the Alison Weir book on which that series was based and watch part I at our July meeting and part II at our August meeting.  Also bought the second Maisie Dobbs mystery,  Birds of a Feather.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Matt H.

« Reply #127 on: April 29, 2007, 01:57:43 PM »

I'll be curious to read your thoughts on the marvelous ELIZABETH I, DR Ginny.

In fact, I recorded part II once again from HBO-HD, and I will watch it tonight before my prime time shows start.

(I think part I is the stronger of the two parts, but they're both marvelous).

I haven't bought it on DVD yet because I kept hoping that it'd get released on Blu-ray disc. I'd really like to have it in high definition if I could.

Ginny

« Reply #128 on: April 29, 2007, 01:58:41 PM »

BK - yes, I've had Hershey truffle kisses.  The person who coordinated one of the award programs my conference last weekend scattered them on the tables before the luncheon began.  Yum!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Danise

« Reply #129 on: April 29, 2007, 02:01:11 PM »

Hi all!  It's been another busy day but a good one.

I took Bear to go get a bath and then I took him down to see Mom.  I am grateful beyond words that I was allowed to do that.

I think the Dear Dog knew what was going on.  I swear he listened to every word I told him in the car about being a good boy and the way he moved his head everytime I said we were going to see Mama.  

He jumped out of the car when we got there and looked around like as if to say, "Well, where is she?"

And he was a prince.  A real prince in room.  Everyone there stopped by to pet him and he was such a good boy.  

He had to smell the whole room over and then he just laid down as close to bed as he could get and was no trouble to anyone.

Even the nurse who came in to check on Mom said they were all amazed at how good he was and that no one even knew he was there.  

Poor Sheena had to stay home and I'm sorry for that but the truth is she is to bouncy for that kind of visit and Bear is Mom's baby.

I shall have to make it up to her sometime.  

The gal at Petsmart did a super fast job on giving him a bath when I expained that it was for someone who might pass at any time.  

My boss came to visit and that was very nice.  She told me not to worry about work and just to think about Mom and what I needed to do.

Oh, I am so grateful Mom had the chance to see Bear.  I took a lot of pictures and movies with my camera so I will have something to remember that visit by.

Hate to post and run but I need to get going.  I just brought Bear home and I need to feed him and Sheena then I have to head back.  

I will post again sometime tonight but I don't know exactly when.

Thank you all for the wonderful vibes.  I'm sure they made this day possible.   :)

Happy Birthday to the Vixter!

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Ginny

« Reply #130 on: April 29, 2007, 02:02:59 PM »

DR MattH - I saw Elizabeth I about a year ago, when I was on a business road trip staying in hotels that have HBO (which we do not here at home) - part 1 in Columbus, OH, and part 2 in Cleveland.  I'm looking forward to reading the book and then watching it again.

In a similar vein, we have our Netflix copy of The Queen, which I saw in the theatre with DR Elmore last fall, but no one else in my family has seen it.  Tomorrow, we're having a Monday Movie Matinee here at home and our guests will be Richard's mother, my mother, and my aunt (my mom's sister).

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #131 on: April 29, 2007, 02:04:31 PM »

Back from a nice lunch with former dear reader Hisaka.  We went to Genghis Cohen, which wouldn't have been my first choice for lunch on a Sunday, but trying to get into any restaurant anywhere in LA from breakfast until about four is just impossible.  We drove by the Pico location of Roscoe's Chicken and Waffles, which was my first choice, and there were at least 100 people out front waiting.  And every other restaurant had scores of people waiting.  I knew Genghis Cohen would be easy and it was - and the food was, as always, grand.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #132 on: April 29, 2007, 02:04:43 PM »

Will we never get to page six?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #133 on: April 29, 2007, 02:04:55 PM »

You'd think it was a Sunday or something.

Ginny

« Reply #134 on: April 29, 2007, 02:05:09 PM »

DR Danise - sounds like Bear deserves an extra special treat.  Thanks for taking time to share the story about his visit to your mom.

Continued love and vibes.....

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #135 on: April 29, 2007, 02:05:23 PM »

I'm going to enter fixes now, but let's get some postin' goin' on, shall we?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #136 on: April 29, 2007, 02:05:44 PM »

Do it, do it now - the time is nigh.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #137 on: April 29, 2007, 02:06:40 PM »

Welcome five GUESTS.  Who are you people?  And why don't you get off your complacent stand-offish buttcheeks and post something.

Matt H.

« Reply #138 on: April 29, 2007, 02:15:02 PM »

In a similar vein, we have our Netflix copy of The Queen, which I saw in the theatre with DR Elmore last fall, but no one else in my family has seen it.  Tomorrow, we're having a Monday Movie Matinee here at home and our guests will be Richard's mother, my mother, and my aunt (my mom's sister).

I liked THE QUEEN very much. I didn't see it at the theater (kept meaning to and just never got around to it), but I I've watched it three times on DVD. Mirren and Sheen are just wonderful in the film, and I think a lot of the supporting players didn't get enough credit for what they contributed to this entertaining feature.

Matt H.

« Reply #139 on: April 29, 2007, 02:15:29 PM »

Will we never get to page six?

I'm no psychic or anything, but I have a feeling we will.

Matt H.

« Reply #140 on: April 29, 2007, 02:18:01 PM »

I see that a new version of TO CATCH A THIEF is coming out in a week. This one has a Dolby Surround track in addition to the mono track we got the last time.

I wonder if there is much difference in the transfer from the original issue which I have? At least, I assume the transfer is a new remaster.

Matt H.

« Reply #141 on: April 29, 2007, 02:19:33 PM »

I think I'll head downstairs now, clean the master bathroom, and then get back to the end of SECRETS OF LIFE and then on to part two of ELIZABETH I.

WBBL.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #142 on: April 29, 2007, 02:20:56 PM »

If you can't you can always go to Sacco and Vanzetti at the Grand Illusion Cinema in Seattle, starting May 11th!  ;D

I am still hoping to do that.  YF is probably not due here until August or September.  The other day I saw a TV commerical for Seattle's Paramount Theatre.  The ad started out proclaiming that "At long last, "THE LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA was coming straight from Broadway to Seattle."  I guess someone forgot to tell the announcer that the show started in Seattle.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

singdaw

« Reply #143 on: April 29, 2007, 02:24:26 PM »

DR Danise, thank you for sharing that visit with us today.  It sounds like it was just the right thing - for everyone.  If you can just stay in the moment and take each moment as it comes...

***VIBES*** to you!

singdaw

« Reply #144 on: April 29, 2007, 02:25:37 PM »

I guess someone forgot to tell the announcer that the show started in Seattle.

Or that it's been a few other places in between!  :)

singdaw

« Reply #145 on: April 29, 2007, 02:26:14 PM »

DR TCB, you can post shots of DC Nicholas ANY time.  He is a real prince!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #146 on: April 29, 2007, 02:27:42 PM »

More Oakland Bridge

Remember - Rosie said fire can't hurt steel!

der Brucer
Hmmmm...  Think this could be converted into a skateboard park?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #147 on: April 29, 2007, 02:28:44 PM »

Do it, do it now - the time is nigh.

N-o-o-o-o-o-o-o!!!  Today is the first day in the last two weeks that I have not had "NOW" stuck in my head - until now (oh damn, now I said it again).
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #148 on: April 29, 2007, 02:31:11 PM »

DR TCB, you can post shots of DC Nicholas ANY time.  He is a real prince!

Yes, I have told him about your flattery.  Now he wants you to come visit!
“One thing’s universal,

singdaw

« Reply #149 on: April 29, 2007, 02:32:36 PM »

DR Edisaurus, DC Gris-Gris is a beaut, as well!   :)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13   Go Up