Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 18   Go Down

Author Topic: HOO AND RAY, IT'S MAY  (Read 92234 times)

Ben

Re:HOO AND RAY, IT'S MAY
« Reply #90 on: May 01, 2007, 06:22:13 AM »

Ahh, that's better!

Ben

« Reply #91 on: May 01, 2007, 06:22:29 AM »

Bye

singdaw

« Reply #92 on: May 01, 2007, 06:25:49 AM »

This is kind of interesting - reported in the NY Times:

New Law to Protect Critics From Being Misquoted

The European Commission has passed legislation that would keep bad reviews from looking good, the London newspaper The Independent reported. The measure, to take effect in December, will make it illegal for advertisers to misquote reviewers by taking a positive word or phrase from a theater review if it gives a misleading sense of the whole review. The Unfair Commercial Practices Directive bars advertising that includes “false information” or any claim that “deceives or is likely to deceive the consumer” and thus “causes or is likely to cause him to take a transactional decision that he would not have taken otherwise.” Helen Kearns, the commission’s spokeswoman on consumer affairs, said the measure would be “policed on a case-by-case basis” by the Office of Fair Trading. “It should apply to misleading advertising right across the board,” she added, “from airline tickets to theater tickets.”

Ginny

« Reply #93 on: May 01, 2007, 06:33:41 AM »

Tuesday morning greetings!  It's a beautiful morning here in SW Ohio.

TOD - No question, May 6, 1972, the day I received my Bachelor's degree from The University of Michigan (Go Blue!).  I was the first in my immediate family and one of the first in any of my family to graduate from college.  It wasn't until more than a year later, when I began working professionally in higher education, that I learned how significant that is in family demographics.

More recently, 8 years ago today my mother arrived in Ohio to move into a retirement community near us.  She'd lived in Phoenix for 13 years and decided that she was getting to the age where she wanted to be closer to my sister (in Michigan) and me.  It's such a delight to have her nearby.  When I moved to Ohio 34 years ago, I never dreamed that 1) I'd still be here, and 2) my elderly relatives would follow me here (my aunt moved to the same retirement community 2 years ago, but not in May).
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #94 on: May 01, 2007, 06:49:14 AM »

May 7th, 1995, I received the first-ever Distinguished Alumni Award from my alma mater's (University of Kentucky) College of Arts & Science.  Wore the cap and gown and made the commencement speech, the whole thing.

Julieanne & I for a whole slew of years when out in California threw our annual Kentucky Derby party the first Saturday in May which became an expected tradition and grew to about 60 or so guests.  The party delighted and baffled our California friends, especially when the core Kentucky contingent would get all weepy singing My Old Kentucky Home.

Since coming back here, however, where Derby Parties are overflowing and many people actually go to the Derby, we quickly realized the Derby does not have the same mystique as it did in California, so we will have to find a new warm weather party tradition.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #95 on: May 01, 2007, 06:50:02 AM »

This is kind of interesting - reported in the NY Times:

New Law to Protect Critics From Being Misquoted

The European Commission has passed legislation that would keep bad reviews from looking good, the London newspaper The Independent reported. The measure, to take effect in December, will make it illegal for advertisers to misquote reviewers by taking a positive word or phrase from a theater review if it gives a misleading sense of the whole review. The Unfair Commercial Practices Directive bars advertising that includes “false information” or any claim that “deceives or is likely to deceive the consumer” and thus “causes or is likely to cause him to take a transactional decision that he would not have taken otherwise.” Helen Kearns, the commission’s spokeswoman on consumer affairs, said the measure would be “policed on a case-by-case basis” by the Office of Fair Trading. “It should apply to misleading advertising right across the board,” she added, “from airline tickets to theater tickets.”

David Merrick is spinning in his grave, I'm sure.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaďs Nin

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #96 on: May 01, 2007, 07:09:55 AM »

Good morning, HHW!

Belated vibes to

DR DANISE

DR ELMORE

and anyone else who needs them.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #97 on: May 01, 2007, 07:13:25 AM »

CONGRATULATIONS TO DR CILLALIZ on finding such a great office!

And, yes, you can mix traditional and contemporary furnishings quite successfully, IMHO.  I adore antiques, yet I have contemporary paintings.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #98 on: May 01, 2007, 07:15:25 AM »

Another May memory.  Julieanne and I arrived in London one year on May 1st.  While she took a jet-lag nap, I went out to pick up some tickets at the National for some theatre that night.   As I crossed Waterloo Bridge, I noticed a peculiarly strong police presence.  "Hmmm," I pondered.  "Perhaps, some member of the Royal family is touring something near by."  I got my tickets and walked down the South Embankment to cross at Westminster Bridge.  

As I crossed the bridge and walked toward the Houses of Parliament and Big Ben, the first thing  I noticed awry was the traffic cone on the statue of Bodicea's head.  As I continue down toward White Hall, more police, debris, and the statue of Winston Churchill was sporting a turf mohawk and decorated with grafitti.  

I continue through a gauntlet of riot-geared police up Whitehall toward Trafalgar Square where some sort of activity had occurred.  The windows of the MacDonald's had been smashed out.  Querying a shop owner, I realized I had just missed by minutes a May Day Riot which was still brewing up near Trafalgar.  

Before I got there (not that I was going to go there now), the street was cordoned off and I had to cut through Charing Cross Station and continue up the Strand practically back to Waterloo Bridge and then zip through Covent Garden to get back home without having the riot converge on me.  The riot was quickly quelled and we walked to the theatre that night with no problem at all.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #99 on: May 01, 2007, 07:15:26 AM »

TOD:

Like DR GEORGE and DR FJL, I, too, was born in May.

I also graduated from college in May and, like DR GINNY, was the first in my family to do so.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #100 on: May 01, 2007, 07:18:49 AM »

Will we never get to page two?

It will happen.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #101 on: May 01, 2007, 07:22:27 AM »

Will we never get to page three?

Need you ask?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #102 on: May 01, 2007, 07:22:50 AM »

Vibes and encouragement to DR DANISE.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Matt H.

« Reply #103 on: May 01, 2007, 07:23:49 AM »

Will we never get to page four?

Coming right up!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #104 on: May 01, 2007, 07:24:00 AM »

Lovely pictures from DR LAURA, as usual.  

DR CILLA LIZ will be practicing law in the Frances Farmer Building, and somehow it seems more than appropriate!  FF's father Ernest was an attorney and in fact she entered college thinking she might study law, switched to journalism, and then switched to theatre.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #105 on: May 01, 2007, 07:24:58 AM »

MR BK - does Margaret know that her one of her father's most famous films QUEEN OF OUTER SPACE (with friend of DR MBARNUM, Laurie Mitchell as the titular character) with be coming out on DVD next month?

Matt H.

« Reply #106 on: May 01, 2007, 07:25:13 AM »

Good morning!

It's going to get very warm this afternoon, but right now it's pleasant. I have the window open in my open and the fan circulating the cool air, and it's nice. It won't be for long.

Jennifer

« Reply #107 on: May 01, 2007, 07:25:18 AM »

TAR COMMENTS

DR Cillaliz said yesterday:
DR Jennifer....have to say I used to hate Myrna or is it Mirna, but I don't anymore.  I think it would be kind of cool if they won.

I think it's Mirna.

It worries me that they are trying to edit her nicer and nicer. I think it is going to be a run to the finish between her and the beauty queens.

I watch the editing. And in the beginning they did not show her as nice. Then they did for a couple of episodes. Then the showed her being obnoxious again. But last episode they were trying to make her seem nice again.  Apparently they also play mean music when the BQs come on and sweet music when charla/mirna come on (manipulation anyone?).

I do find them hilarious. And i am glad they are on the show (although i wish they had been eliminated weeks ago).  The thing is i almost always want the strongest team to win.  And i really think a lot of their good fortune has been due to luck.  So i really don't want them to win.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2007, 07:26:54 AM by Jennifer »

Matt H.

« Reply #108 on: May 01, 2007, 07:25:48 AM »

I was very sad to read this morning that veteran character actor Dabbs Grier died. He was in so many films and TV shows, and I always loved him. A sad loss.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #109 on: May 01, 2007, 07:27:03 AM »

I like the month of May.

In May, 1985, I received a telephone call telling me that my play MY HAND IS NOT MY HEART had been chosen as a winner of the Festival of Emerging American Theatre and would be produced that summer.

In May, 1989, I spent 10 days in Dundalk, Ireland (and two in London) as a member of the cast of MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM representing America in a theatre competition.

Matt H.

« Reply #110 on: May 01, 2007, 07:27:50 AM »

My mother died about a month before I began my role in FOREVER PLAID. She wouldn't have been able to come to the show, but I had every intention of taking a tape of the show to her so she could see it. Instead, I dedicated my performance in the show to her in the program.

Matt H.

« Reply #111 on: May 01, 2007, 07:29:22 AM »

I retired from 30 years of teaching in May. I guess that's my most vivid memory of a May event.

Matt H.

« Reply #112 on: May 01, 2007, 07:30:40 AM »

I've been reading conflicting reviews about the return of VERONICA MARS tonight. The USA TODAY critic doesn't like the stand alone episodes at all. The TV GUIDE critic likes them very much. I can't wait to see for myself. I'll probably watch it "live" tonight and record LAW & ORDER: CI and HOUSE which are on opposite it.

Matt H.

« Reply #113 on: May 01, 2007, 07:32:20 AM »

I'm rather dreading IDOL tonight. Rock music is the theme. Of course, that encompasses a broad spectrum of music, but none of the six remaining contestants are what I would think of as a rock artist. So, the results may be all over the map, and with the voting allegedly so close, it's pretty scary that this genre is coming up now.

Matt H.

« Reply #114 on: May 01, 2007, 07:33:26 AM »

Haven't decided on a DVD for today either. I have only THE SOPRANOS and CSI: MIAMI on the DVR to watch, so I'll be searching for something from the to-watch shelf since the stuff I've ordered for this week won't be arriving until tomorrow at the earliest.

Jennifer

« Reply #115 on: May 01, 2007, 07:33:34 AM »

My condolences to Audra Mcdonald's family.~~~~~~~~~~

Michael

« Reply #116 on: May 01, 2007, 07:56:50 AM »

TOD:
Other than my mother's birthday on the 3rd (a woman of certain years) and my parents 50th Wedding anniversary on the 20th. Nothing much. They aren't celebrating. I think it has a lot to do with that they have outlived so many of their friends/spouses and especially my father's brother and 1st cousin were also married that same year and they didn't make it.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #117 on: May 01, 2007, 07:58:31 AM »

BK asked yesterday if the song "Blow Me" is on the Cinegrill CD. It is not. Not even as the bonus track.

I have seen Mr. Graae performed several times over the years and I have never heard him sing that song.
Never stop dreaming.

Matt H.

« Reply #118 on: May 01, 2007, 08:13:27 AM »

Heading down now to clean the living room (early) before beginning lunch preparation.

WBBL.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #119 on: May 01, 2007, 08:36:46 AM »

Have caught up.

Who else is up for a chorus of "Me-me-me-me-me--me-me-e-e-e-e-e"?
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 18   Go Up