Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: THE CLOCK IS TICKING AND I AM TYPING  (Read 73646 times)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
Re:THE CLOCK IS TICKING AND I AM TYPING
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2007, 07:17:56 AM »

Good morning, all!  

After analyzing things as I see them, I've decided that I am officially in depression of some sort. Between the current bad back, my dad's death, frustration with the Toyland Project and the Macbeths, and the wish for something exciting or positive to give my energy a kick, it's hard to determine wherein lies the source.  I have no urge to get out of bed to accomplish much of anything and I'm out of sorts about everything.  I apologize for being bad company.

Perhaps after several cups of coffee I will have found my sense of humor and appreciation for what I do have.  Stay tuned.

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ginny

« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2007, 07:25:39 AM »

{{{{{Dear DR Elmore}}}}}
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2007, 07:27:06 AM »

DR Matt,
I don't follow horse racing either, but I do watch the Derby. It was nice to see the horse that was second to last for most of the race win the race. I can't remember his name but I cheered for him.   I was saying "GO HORSE!"  Guess i was cheering for all of them

I read about the race in the newspaper this morning. Sounded like an exciting race, so the next two points of the Triple Crown should make for interesting results.

But I won't watch them either.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2007, 07:28:03 AM »

Good morning!

Beautiful day outside and should be warmer than the last two days. I have much to do inside, however, so I doubt I'll see much of that sun and smell much of that fresh air.

Matt H.

« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2007, 07:29:10 AM »

So sorry to read about your continuing problems, DR Elmore. Sometimes, friends feel so inadequate when feelings are something you have to work through by yourself. But I'm sure you know you have many folks here willing and eager to help in any way they can.

Take care.

Matt H.

« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2007, 07:31:43 AM »

[size=9]
BK!!!
[/size][/color]

(Sorry, but I made it big to get your attention).

The BRANDO documentary is being reshown this week on TCM. If I remember correctly, it's going to be Friday afternoon at 5:15 p.m., but check your Tivo for exact date. I certainly plan to set my DVR to pick it up.

It looked from the listings like they were going to show the entire documentary in one big block.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2007, 07:32:48 AM by Matt H. »

FJL

« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2007, 07:34:58 AM »

Jrand - Re an unvarnished report on the play :)   - I just didn't want to give away any of the surprises, because I thought they're important to the impact of Tom's piece, and I'll say I've had moments even since seeing the play yesterday where a couple of the play's observations have come back to haunt me, although thankfully in a  less life-impacting way than for the play's characters.  

Matt H.

« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2007, 07:36:01 AM »

I have FOR YOUR EYES ONLY cued up in the player to watch this afternoon. This will finish off the Ultimate Edition boxed set I bought specifically to get some of the other films in the box. I don't like Roger Moore as Bond much, but this is one of his better efforts.

I would like to finish WILL & GRACE as I'm on the fourth disc now, and I don't think there are many episode left. (Of course, there will be special features on this last disc, but I have no idea what they will be apart from a gag reel.)

I'd like to watch that DREAMGIRLS documentary, too.

Of course, after reading DR Ron Pulliam's description of two of those Tyrone Power films, I'm anxious to crack that box open and get to watching some of those as well, but there is just SO much to see!

FJL

« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2007, 07:36:28 AM »

Larry, I hope you feel better.

Matt H.

« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2007, 07:43:32 AM »

When I was writing about THE BREAK UP last night, I forgot to mention what a grand cast it has. In addition to the two stars, there were the always wonderful Judy Davis, Vincent D'Onofrio, Ann-Margret, Jason Bateman, Ivan Sergei, Jon Favreau, John Michael Higgins, and Peter Billingsley (from A CHRISTMAS STORY fame, all grown up). Watching all these pros work together so well was one of the more enjoyable aspects of the movie.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2007, 07:47:15 AM by Matt H. »

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2007, 07:45:57 AM »

GOOD MORNING, HHW!

An absolutely gorgeous morning here in my neck of the woods. Of COURSE this is a day when I've arranged to have someone come over and help me clean out the basement! Of course! Maybe we'll finish early and can enjoy the day. California has so much gorgeous weather that that was never a concern. But here...Oh, well.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2007, 07:49:49 AM »

Virtual HUGS to Larry!!

[/size]

Matt H.

« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2007, 08:12:57 AM »

Heading down now to get started on some household chores before starting to fix Sunday lunch.

WBBL.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2007, 08:17:40 AM »

The Death Clock says my personal day of death is June 4, 2023.  Since it is a Sunday, at least I will already be at church.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2007, 08:24:06 AM »

Larry, my best hugs, vibes, and wishes to you, my friend.  However, if you are in depression they probably don't meant that much to you, other than letting you know how many people love you.  Perhaps you should discuss this with your doctor.  There is nothing wrong with taking anti-depressants.  Actually they rank up there as one of the miracles of modern medicine.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #45 on: May 06, 2007, 08:32:11 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, and I've just finished my oatmeal (sprinkled with flax and pumpkin seed), as well as an egg white omelet... well, just egg whites, no filling.  But I did cook them.  Very healthy.  Even with bit of butter I cooked them in.

And shortly, I shall run down to the corner to get a copy of today's Times, and then have a cup of coffee.
Make Your Own Luck.

MusicGuy

• ...at an audition to accompany Guy Haines...
« Reply #46 on: May 06, 2007, 08:33:47 AM »

Hi dear DR Jose

Thank you very much for the Central Park pictures from yesterday..... it looked like you had a great time..........

AND... ending up with a fabulous cookie!  

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #47 on: May 06, 2007, 08:38:09 AM »

DR elmore...

You need to head down to Levain right now and get a box of cookies, a loaf of their sourdough/rasisin/walnut loaf, and their cinnamon-butter brioche!  Nothing like a carb-coma to take your mind off of things.  ;)

Seriously...  I know you'll come out of whatever funk you're in right now.  You've been running non-stop since you got back from Ohio, and it sounds like your body and mind are telling you to take a day off, a mental health day.  No Toyland, No MacBeths, No Big Fat Conductor.  You need some time to process everything that has happened without having to deal with other things.  Maybe you can make that day today.  Or tomorrow.  Just listen to some music, watch a DVD or two, watch a VHS tape or two ;), and have a nice dinner.

Be well and stay sane.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #48 on: May 06, 2007, 08:39:25 AM »

Hi dear DR Jose

Thank you very much for the Central Park pictures from yesterday..... it looked like you had a great time..........

AND... ending up with a fabulous cookie!  

You're very welcome, DR MusicGuy.

-Although, actually, I was looking forward to one of their cinnamon-butter or dark chocolate chip brioches, but they were sold out for the day.  However, the cookie was stellar as always.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #49 on: May 06, 2007, 08:41:33 AM »

Well, it is a bit cooler outside today, but it's nice and sunny... Not exactly the motivation I need to clean off my desk and do some laundry... Hmm...
Make Your Own Luck.

MusicGuy

« Reply #50 on: May 06, 2007, 08:46:28 AM »

For DEAR DR LARRY / ELMORE3003 / ELMO / FRIEND .......

I hold very good, warm, and loving thoughts for you Larry. And don't think that there is anything "wrong with you" for feeling your feelings.  They are your's, and they are real for you.  They are not weakness, or lack of fortitude, or any other crap like that.  Don't be afraid to talk to a good qualified therapist or counselor, and to bring your feelings of sadness and depression out into the open.

It isn't always easy to have to deal with things as they actually are, and to try to stay within the day we are actually in right now.  But it is much better than letting the mind take you off into past darkness, or to an imagined and  dreaded future that hasn't even happened yet.

I only share this with you, as a way of keeping myself reminded.

I also send you a very big hug Lar.

MusicGuy

« Reply #51 on: May 06, 2007, 08:48:52 AM »

Oh, and dear Jose.....I definitely need a guided walk to Levain's and an "inventory explanation" from you when I'm in NYC.

And also, the Little Pie Shop (is that the name??)

MusicGuy

« Reply #52 on: May 06, 2007, 08:54:25 AM »

A bright and sunny Good Morning, to dear Esteemed, searched, typed, ticked, tocked, rested, rippling, and ravishing BK --

I hope you enjoy a terrific Sunday, with relaxation, enjoyment, and yummy food !

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #53 on: May 06, 2007, 08:56:06 AM »

...And Crumbs Bakeshop happens to be around the corner from Levain too.  CUPCAKES!!!
Make Your Own Luck.

MusicGuy

« Reply #54 on: May 06, 2007, 08:56:08 AM »

And now I think I'll get ready, and go have breakfast with some of the guys who belong to a gay classic car club that I also belong to.  

I'll check back later...... have fun everyone.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #55 on: May 06, 2007, 09:13:24 AM »

Thank you all, DRs, for the kind vibes.  I will be okay, and I'm actually making an effort this afternoon to accomplish something positive since I spent most of yesterday feeling sorry for myself.  I can indulge every so often but I cannot let it take over my life.  I send virtual hugs to all of you for your kindness.

DR Jose, if I had my way, I'd camp at Levain's doorstep, if only for the cinnamin brioche and the oatmea raisin cookies, but I'm trying to remove pounds.  The one good thing was the positive blood pressure report this week. They're heavenly cookies, I must admit.

I think I'll take a short walk to the market for celery.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #56 on: May 06, 2007, 09:14:03 AM »

.. with some of the guys who belong to a gay classic car club ...

What makes one a "gay classic"?

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #57 on: May 06, 2007, 09:23:25 AM »

HHW BOOK CLUB - MONTHLY NOTICE

By Richard Irwin, Special to the Press-Telegram

VAMPIRES. You gotta love 'em!

Everyone loves to write about these creatures of the dark, and a surprising number of authors make their living from them, if you'll excuse the pun.

Jim Butcher battles them in his best-selling Harry Dresden series; I'm now working my way through book six of the nine-part series. It's taken over my literary life for the past month or so.

So soon I'll be trolling for another vampire series to sink my teeth in, if you'll excuse another pun. And I'm seriously considering the Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris.

Her new book, "All Together Dead," just came out this month, and The Dallas Morning News calls Harris' work a "deliciously fiendish ... increasingly riotous series."
As I understand it, Stackhouse is a telepathic Louisiana barmaid who has befriended a group of vampires. This is a complete turnaround from the Dresden series, where Harry is alway duking it out with the vamps.

After taking time off to have children, Harris decided to write a mystery series about a Georgia librarian, Aurora Teagarden. Her book "Real Murders" won her an Agatha nomination.

"Dead Until Dark" broke the boundaries between genres - it was neither a traditional mystery, nor pure science fiction or romance.

But it was a great adventure, and readers enjoyed the stories about Sookie Stackhouse, the telepathic barmaid and friend to vampires and werewolves.

A book about a Lady Librarian Detective - Marion meets Agatha?

I can't resist - I put both Real Murders and Dead Until Dark in my Amazon cart!

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #58 on: May 06, 2007, 09:24:13 AM »

I think I'll take a short walk to the market for celery.

To dress a Bloody Mary?

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #59 on: May 06, 2007, 09:27:13 AM »

Looks like a fun idea:

Tour reveals shady side of City of Angels

Tourism: It's Black Dahlia and beyond for intrepid visitors.

LOS ANGELES - A dismembered wannabe starlet. A girl buried under her family's home. A rattlesnake used as a weapon.

The scenes of those crimes are stops on a series of Southern California bus tours that eschew the usual stars' homes and theme parks to offer passengers a peak at the region's dark side.

"They're aimed at the history geek sort of people," said Kelly Kuvo, who wears a black veil and other vintage accouterments during the trips she leads for tour company Esotouric.

The company's "crime bus" tours plumb the grisly, blood-soaked pasts of now quiet Southern California neighborhoods and nondescript strip malls.

"When people die in a place, it does change that place forever," said Esotouric guide and co-founder Kim Cooper. "Just because the people wandering around the neighborhood may not be aware of it, it doesn't mean it's not a good idea for people who are interested in history to revive those memories."

Esotouric's most popular tour explores 1947 Los Angeles by zeroing in on the murder of Elizabeth Short - a.k.a. "Black Dahlia" - who came to Hollywood in search of fame but wound up the victim of an infamous unsolved murder.

A tour that revisits the life and literature of Raymond Chandler, whose fictional characters inhabit the region's underworld, was added to the menu of crime junkets when the company was started earlier this year.

der Brucer
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12   Go Up