Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14   Go Down

Author Topic: PICKLED HERRING  (Read 80192 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:PICKLED HERRING
« Reply #330 on: May 09, 2007, 06:42:48 PM »

Internet still a bit slow....hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #331 on: May 09, 2007, 06:45:47 PM »

I don't get it. I have no interest in AI

I don't either.  I never got into it when it first started, so I think the interest passed me by.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #332 on: May 09, 2007, 06:50:44 PM »

ATTENTION HHW LIBRARIANS and BIBLIOPHILES:

I have come across something that may have some value and after checking all of the First Edition sites on the net, cannot really find the information I need.

The Book:  High Magic's Aid

Author:  Scire aka Gerald Gardner

Edition:  First 1949  London Michael Houghton

Made & Printed in London by Edgar S. Dunstan & Co.

Hardback with blue dust jacket

Someone has a copy on Amazon.com for $375.13!

I don't know how long they've had it listed. ::)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #333 on: May 09, 2007, 06:51:56 PM »

I just made a most amusing post to the film score messageboard.  Here's a link to the thread - note the thread title - all the gentlemen I refer to in my post are soundtrack producers.

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.asp?threadID=42001&forumID=1

That's pretty funny!  It always surprises me when people can't figure out that things like that are supposed to be funny.

singdaw

« Reply #334 on: May 09, 2007, 06:54:48 PM »

I think the interest passed me by.

The parade, on the other hand...    ::)

George

« Reply #335 on: May 09, 2007, 07:10:05 PM »

;)

Tomovoz

« Reply #336 on: May 09, 2007, 07:24:17 PM »

IMHO "reality" shows are adding to the dumbing down of the planet - with the "bonus" that they give the populace the "Drug" of feeling that their opinions actually matter. Sad that the "our candidate won" seems to be so important the psyche of the 21st Century.

No. I am not a "snob" I'm still very much a supporter of popular music  (even if I do still dwell in the 1960's).

The "celebrities" who take part in the "Dancing with the Stars" type shows are just really the equivalent of the Game Show participants of earlier decades. When your star is fading, you need to try and keep a little of the dull glow in the public eye.

At least those of us who are anti "reality" shows can use the switch of button. (and of course skip the posts here without offending the "fans").
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #337 on: May 09, 2007, 07:46:31 PM »

No, I am happy that so many people enjoy American Idol.  And I do skip some of the posts about it, especially if I haven't seen it.  But since I watched it last night, I thought I would express my thoughts....just as everyone else who watched was doing.

I do hate what it SEEMS to be doing to the recording industry and those who are trying to have a career in singing - and I did turn the channel.

Sorry if I upset anyone by my comments.  I will say I wrote just a small portion of what I really thought....just because it didn't seem important to say so MUCH that was negative.

If we only post about things we ALL like, we won't have many 400 post days.

DR JRand56, I find the show pretty pathetic because I see very little in today's "pop" vocal technique and I find not enough time concerned with what I feel are primary matters in singing - telling a story, diction, knowing when to trust the melody, using pop stylings for emphasis or pinpointing something - and when such matters are discussed, singers are accused of being "cabaret-y" (whatever the fat hell that means) or they're accused of not not doing one of the abov.  Occasionally I see someone I think is wonderful - for me it's Melinda - but I'm not going to kick it too much because too many people I like on the site are addicted to it.  I think you got unfairly kicked around today, especially since someone had similar feelings about that moronic dancing program and could have easily switched channels there.  However, I guess we're all hypocrites at heart: I have a set of rules as a pedestrian and a different set as a pedestrian.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2007, 07:49:59 PM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #338 on: May 09, 2007, 07:56:21 PM »

I'm back from Encores!' faux-follies, which has wonderful moments but seemed a bit relentless to me.  I think a few more sketches might have relied the constant "big number" feeling that overwhelmed me.  Only two orchestrations were original, and the rest were beautifully done by Jonathan Tunick, the absolute best in the business.  The whole evening reminded me of Sondheim's FOLLIES in sound, since Jonathan's approach - and the creators of the show's - is more MGM than correct musical theatre sound. My big caveat is the approach of doing a revue from 1907-1953 or so in historical sequence got mangled by putting numbers together, my least favorite being a triangle performing a medley of "Manhattan" and "Mountain Greenery," especially since i thought it was a lousy lead-in for the "wolf" to go into "I Guess I'll Have to Change My Plan."  

There were two funny sketches, and I liked the cast a lot.  I don't believe one choreographer did it all, since it's such a large amount of staging,  but I couldn't find a choreography credit to prove me wrong.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Cillaliz

« Reply #339 on: May 09, 2007, 08:06:41 PM »

Sorry to tell you that Eppie is busy being dead....her daughter may get back with you if you enclose a self addressed stamped envelope.  :D

So Abby was Eppie (Esther Pauline)?   I've never been clear which was Eppie and which was Popo (Pauline Esther)

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #340 on: May 09, 2007, 08:07:55 PM »

Wouldn't that be "Terror-cotta"?
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #341 on: May 09, 2007, 08:10:53 PM »

And whatever happened to Wes Stern who did the role? He did a couple of Love  American Style and several episodes of Rhoda and then????

I thought of him just the other day, his name just popped into my head, and thought the same thing: "Whatever happened..."

I liked "Getting Together" although I don't remember anything except the theme song. Too bad theme songs have fallen out of fashion.
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #342 on: May 09, 2007, 08:11:52 PM »

The fake propgram we were given tonight says warren Carlyle was the choreographer, and he's poorly jammed amongst the costumes, lights. etc.  His credit should be as large as Jerry Zaks since his staging's over half of the show.

Edisaurus

« Reply #343 on: May 09, 2007, 08:11:57 PM »

Two (count 'em) posting days for me in less than a week--a recent record!!  :)

Nice to see you back, JMK! I hope you can stay awhile!

Cillaliz

« Reply #344 on: May 09, 2007, 08:12:14 PM »

Hi Edi! I've missed you while you've been so busy.

FJL

« Reply #345 on: May 09, 2007, 08:24:00 PM »

Just tried to post thinking I was logged in, but it didn't let me.

FJL

« Reply #346 on: May 09, 2007, 08:24:33 PM »

But all indications were that i WAS logged in

Cillaliz

« Reply #347 on: May 09, 2007, 08:25:10 PM »

I had that happen earlier...I saw my name but it said I wasn't logged in

Cillaliz

« Reply #348 on: May 09, 2007, 08:28:36 PM »

Kids at the elementary schools here drew pictures on socks for deep vein thrombosis awareness.  Now I'm sure it's a good thing to be aware of, but elementary students drawing pictures on socks???

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #349 on: May 09, 2007, 08:30:57 PM »

But all indications were that i WAS logged in

That happens to a lot of us, FJL.  We give all indications that we are thinking, but we really aren't.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #350 on: May 09, 2007, 08:37:15 PM »

Will we never get to page thirteen?  Will my allergies ever abate?  Will I eat something other than the fries I had at eleven-thirty, the bagel at three, and the ice cream at three-thirty?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #351 on: May 09, 2007, 08:37:26 PM »

Good Evening!

I'm back from Encores' Stairway To Paradise too...

And I thought it was good, not great.  And as much as I like Kristin Chenoweth, I was wishing for more Ruthie Henshall - who only had two solos during the whole evening.  -At least she got her own line in credits.  But Kristin and Kevin Chamberlain were in lots of numbers, and had plenty of quick changes.

The only really thing that bugged me was that each number was not a recreation of an actual "Follies" number - which is sort of what I thought it was going to be.  And, as DR elmore mentioned, some of the medleys and cobbling together of numbers seemed a bit forced at times.  Consequently, some of the transitions also seemed a bit awkard.  -At least to me.  Additionally, I was hoping for more of a "history of dance" in the numbers, but everything seemed a bit the same throughout - even though the numbers were presented in chronological order.  However, the tapper was amazing!

*And, yes, Warren Carlyle, did all the choreography.  I know his assistant, and they've been working on it for the past couple of months.
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #352 on: May 09, 2007, 08:37:39 PM »

Perhaps I'll go out and get a little something to appease my appetite.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #353 on: May 09, 2007, 08:39:10 PM »

DR JRand, I don't mind the negative comments about IDOL or any other show.

But you wished the show would end forever, and that's a different entity entirely. That would deprive those of us who DO like it from a small piece of pleasure for five months each year just to satisfy a whim of yours that's so easily met by simply changing the channel.

That's what I found rather thoughtless. If I'm off base, I apologize.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #354 on: May 09, 2007, 08:39:27 PM »

OH...

And Christopher Fitzgerald practically stole the show with his rendition of "Josephina, Please No Lean On The Bell", imh(umble)o.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #355 on: May 09, 2007, 08:40:45 PM »

DR FJL - Julie disappeared after the intermission.  I hope she's OK.  ???
Make Your Own Luck.

George

« Reply #356 on: May 09, 2007, 08:41:12 PM »

I just glanced at my Futurama calendar and it says that today is Glenda Jackson's 70th Birthday!  Happy Birthday to Glenda! ;D

Just had to share. :)

Matt H.

« Reply #357 on: May 09, 2007, 08:42:27 PM »

I began my evening by checking out some of the special features on the first disc of the THIRD MAN set. The first feature I listened to was repeated from the 1999 set: actor Richard Clarke reading Graham Greene's screen treatment for his story. Funny that the protagonist's original name was Rollo Martins that was later changed to Holly Martins.

George

« Reply #358 on: May 09, 2007, 08:42:30 PM »

But according to her IMDb.com listing, she's 71! ::)

Matt H.

« Reply #359 on: May 09, 2007, 08:48:06 PM »

Next, I listened to a good portion of the running commentary between director Stephen Soderbergh and writer Tony Gilroy. Why these two were selected to do a commentary I have no idea because Gilroy kept asking Soderbergh questions about the production that he couldn't answer. It's a lively enough discussion between the two of them, but because they have so few facts to impart about the production, I didn't find it particularly illuminating.

Film histrian Dana Polan also has a commentary on the first disc which I'll check out tomorrow. It's got to be better than the other one.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14   Go Up