Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: EARTHY, SPICY NOTES  (Read 70419 times)

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
Re:EARTHY, SPICY NOTES
« Reply #60 on: May 12, 2007, 06:56:07 AM »

I had my three-mile-round trip walk to Starbucks, beginning at 5 a.m. I dug a hole to plant a plant.
I dug and raked a flowerbed and planted seeds.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #61 on: May 12, 2007, 06:57:22 AM »

Will we never get to page two?

Of course we will.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Cillaliz

« Reply #62 on: May 12, 2007, 06:59:11 AM »

I had my three-mile-round trip walk to Starbucks, beginning at 5 a.m. I dug a hole to plant a plant.
I dug and raked a flowerbed and planted seeds.

That's very energetic, DR Laura, I walked to the car and drove to the store and went up and down the stairs a few times....you've got me beat!

Matt H.

« Reply #63 on: May 12, 2007, 07:00:22 AM »

Good morning!

Looks to be a pretty day though the paper says we're going to have rain later today. Doesn't look like it now.

Since I read that forecast, I got busy and mowed the front yard to get that chore out of the way. Not my favorite way to start Saturday morning, but at least it's done.

Cillaliz

« Reply #64 on: May 12, 2007, 07:00:26 AM »

Now, as I suspected, Paul has called for coffee.  If he calls before I get anything done on Saturday morning, I don't get anything done on Saturday morning....thus there is a method to my madness.....Laters

Matt H.

« Reply #65 on: May 12, 2007, 07:02:08 AM »

Favorite great show songs:

"Losing My Mind" from FOLLIES

"What Is a Woman?" from I DO! I DO!

"I Don't Remember You" from THE HAPPY TIME

Matt H.

« Reply #66 on: May 12, 2007, 07:04:28 AM »

This afternoon, I'll finally get to THE SOPRANOS after a long delay. I think this will catch me up with everything I had on the DVR that was TV and not movie related.

I will be watching the upcoming release APOCALYPTO tonight since there is nothing on the paycable movie channels I want to see, so this afternoon, I may put in the new Ultimate Edition of GOLDFINGER that I recently won for next to nothing on Ebay.

Matt H.

« Reply #67 on: May 12, 2007, 07:05:52 AM »

Tomorrow, I guess I will need to watch ARTHUR AND THE INVISIBLES. I may also get to crack open that Tyrone Power boxed set and watch PRINCE OF FOXES.

Ginny

« Reply #68 on: May 12, 2007, 07:07:34 AM »

Thank you, DR DearReaderLaura.

TOD -

"Shall We Dance" - The King and I

"All I Need is the Girl" - Gypsy
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #69 on: May 12, 2007, 07:26:38 AM »

And the word of the day is: DIASTEMA!

Isn't that when you cut a whol in the end of a shoe box, and inisde you cut out different pictures which he assemble at different depths inside the box; so when you look throudh the hole in the end you have a three-dimensional picture?

Now, THAT was a sentence!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Danise

« Reply #70 on: May 12, 2007, 07:50:16 AM »

Hi again.  I'm sorry I had to leave like that.  Mom woke up and was complaining that her neck hurt and the pillow she had was killing her head.  I made a quick dash to a local Walmart to see what I could find to fix the problem.

I wanted one of those travel type pillows that fits around your neck but Walmart didn't carry them.  I saw a memory foam pillow that I thought might help so I got that but I know that at home, Mom never really liked them.  Still I thought it might help in this situation. Then I went to a a local CVS drug store but they didn't have anything like that either.

Finely I  spotted a Walgreens drug store and they had several type of the pillow I wanted.  Some even with vibrate and heat.   The one that had both the V & h looked very clunky and not very comforable so I got the vibrate type and a another non vibrate type that felt good to me.  

She is using the latter pillow right now and I think it is helping her.  At least I hope it is.

It's hard for me to describe how far down Mom has gone in just the 2 days since I last saw her.  She won't eat, barely drinks and the nurse said that's because she is preparing to die.  No one here thinks it will be very long now.  She is passing a lot of blood.

I was told that she had a really bad day yesterday.  

I'm trying to get myself ready as well but I know there just isn't any way I can.  I really don't want to take those chill pills unless I really have to.  I've never thought of myself as someone who runs away (even by taking a drug) from a bad situation.  Now is not the time to start.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Miss Karen

« Reply #71 on: May 12, 2007, 07:53:26 AM »

Were is DR Miss Karen?  Was wondering how her monologue Lamps turned out?  The stress of learning and performing a monologue with just a few day's notice would do me in...    :)

It did me in! (I'm now residing at Happy Acres -- the men in white coats picked me up the other day). The theatre director sent the script that afternoon, I went the next day to work with the acting coach to get my blocking, etc.  I enjoyed working with her and I was amazed how much we were able to accomplish in two hours, but upon seeing the other gals monologues and going through my monologue 4 times that night (twice on book and the final two off), I realized I'd be the loose cannon of the show.  I wanted to help them out, but quickly realized my limitations. If I'm gonna go on stage, I want to be proud of what I do and I was feeling no sense of pride nor confidence in what I was doing. I kept waiting for them to say thanks, but no thanks -- when they didn't, I did.  I was a bit surprised that the acting coach hadn't stepped into the part for them -- she was on Full House and a bunch of other shows in the 80s and 90s -- Gail Edwards -- she could have done it in her sleep.  It seemed like they were really scrambling to pull this thing off.  They were still working on the set, missing props (I was having to mime my blocking with missing lamps), etc.  Come to find out, they didn't have someone for the French Fries monologue either, and she came in even later that evening and wasn't off book when I left.  So maybe I wouldn't have been the only loose cannon after all...The experience was way too stressful and not any fun -- which is why I do all this theatre stuff -- for the joy.  (wow, looks like I just wrote my own monologue...too wordy, Mz Karen...)  Thanks for thinking about me, Dingdaw!

Miss Karen

« Reply #72 on: May 12, 2007, 07:55:20 AM »

Isn't that when you cut a whol in the end of a shoe box, and inisde you cut out different pictures which he assemble at different depths inside the box; so when you look throudh the hole in the end you have a three-dimensional picture?

Now, THAT was a sentence!

TCB ~ You and I ought to team up and write some monologues...(between your sentences and my paragraphs... :) )

Miss Karen

« Reply #73 on: May 12, 2007, 08:04:55 AM »

Bless your heart, DR Danise.  I thought of you the other day -- there was an article about folks who take care of ill family members.  It really stressed the importance of taking care of yourself (mentally and physically and emotionally).  You love her, she knows that, and that's the most important thing...don't beat yourself up over all the rest (easy for me to say, I know, but be kind to yourself and take time for yourself, too).

Matt H.

« Reply #74 on: May 12, 2007, 08:10:00 AM »

Heading down now to tidy up a few things and then begin thinking about fixing lunch.

WBBL.

Miss Karen

« Reply #75 on: May 12, 2007, 08:11:04 AM »

Dingdaw ~ Even though I feel the guilt of letting that theatre down and not being able to do what I thought I'd be able to, the good news is my husband is so pleased I'm not doing it.  He's such a sweetheart and supports me in this passion of mine, but from the get-go was thinking I was nuts to attempt it -- and kept asking me, Why?

Danise

« Reply #76 on: May 12, 2007, 08:16:10 AM »

Bless your heart, DR Danise.  I thought of you the other day -- there was an article about folks who take care of ill family members.  It really stressed the importance of taking care of yourself (mentally and physically and emotionally).  You love her, she knows that, and that's the most important thing...don't beat yourself up over all the rest (easy for me to say, I know, but be kind to yourself and take time for yourself, too).

Thank you.    I think the hardest thing is seeing her the way she is now.  If this is how is going to be, I do hope that it won't be long.  The person in that bed right now is not my Mother.  And it seems like each time I see her, it's even less of my mother.  She is slipping away a little bit at a time.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Ginny

« Reply #77 on: May 12, 2007, 08:18:56 AM »

{{{{{{{{{{Hugs for DR Danise}}}}}}}}}}
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Danise

« Reply #78 on: May 12, 2007, 08:25:21 AM »

Thank you DR Ginny.  I hate to keep bringing every one down.  I think I'll sit and read for a little bit.  I bought a book, Stephen Kings, "IT" at the local GoodWill when I was looking for the local bus stop.

I learned that these is an express bus from Sun City to Downtown Tampa during the week so I could just do a park and ride and then I'd be right back here with Mom.  

Now that I have the doggie door installed, I was hoping that I would only have to go home every couple of days to check on them.  I sure do hope that Sheena learns to use that door!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #79 on: May 12, 2007, 08:32:19 AM »

Hi again.  I'm sorry I had to leave like that.  Mom woke up and was complaining that her neck hurt and the pillow she had was killing her head.  I made a quick dash to a local Walmart to see what I could find to fix the problem.

I wanted one of those travel type pillows that fits around your neck but Walmart didn't carry them.  I saw a memory foam pillow that I thought might help so I got that but I know that at home, Mom never really liked them.  Still I thought it might help in this situation. Then I went to a a local CVS drug store but they didn't have anything like that either.

Finely I  spotted a Walgreens drug store and they had several type of the pillow I wanted.  Some even with vibrate and heat.   The one that had both the V & h looked very clunky and not very comforable so I got the vibrate type and a another non vibrate type that felt good to me.  

She is using the latter pillow right now and I think it is helping her.  At least I hope it is.

It's hard for me to describe how far down Mom has gone in just the 2 days since I last saw her.  She won't eat, barely drinks and the nurse said that's because she is preparing to die.  No one here thinks it will be very long now.  She is passing a lot of blood.

I was told that she had a really bad day yesterday.  

I'm trying to get myself ready as well but I know there just isn't any way I can.  I really don't want to take those chill pills unless I really have to.  I've never thought of myself as someone who runs away (even by taking a drug) from a bad situation.  Now is not the time to start.

DR Danise, have they given you any brochures on the dying process?  Ask if they have any and read up on it, it will tell you all the signs and prepare you.  I hope for your mother's sake it's a quick decline and death.  If I sound callous and harsh, I don't mean to.  I feel the better prepared you are, the easier it will happen.  And then, like me, you'll mourn.  For a long time.

I send hugs, affecton, support, everything but myself.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Miss Karen

« Reply #80 on: May 12, 2007, 08:34:01 AM »

I sure do hope that Sheena learns to use that door!

When we got our doggy door when Deuce was a puppy, our older dog, Shasta, didn't take to it as quickly as Deuce. So we got handfuls of treats and went back and forth on each side of the door and would open it and show the treats and lure her back and forth.  Of course, Deuce loved the game -- getting treats for something he already thought was fun. (Which may have also helped, Shasta wasn't about to let that young whipper-snapper get all the treats). In about a day or two, Shasta was going in and out of the door like a pro.  Ahhh, the power of treats!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #81 on: May 12, 2007, 08:35:16 AM »

And, DR Danise, I don't think taking medication is running away from anything.  If it helps you over the stress, send me some of them.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Miss Karen

« Reply #82 on: May 12, 2007, 08:38:01 AM »

Boy, I'm awfully wordy today -- guess that monologue got me going....

Miss Karen

« Reply #83 on: May 12, 2007, 08:40:28 AM »

Speaking of getting wordy, time to get back to my study packet and paper, I've stalled long enough....

Peace vibes to DR Danise ...

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #84 on: May 12, 2007, 08:44:48 AM »

And the word of the day is: DIASTEMA!
Victorian Era MAIDS ATE crumpets and sipped their tea through their DIASTEMA.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #85 on: May 12, 2007, 08:55:58 AM »

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{Danise}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #86 on: May 12, 2007, 08:57:00 AM »

I, personally, have never used a doggy door, but Marty, Mikey, Bonnie, Buster and Fletcher swear by theirs.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #87 on: May 12, 2007, 09:41:58 AM »

DR Danise:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

Your mother has stopped eating because her body is winding down and doesn't need food any more. I pray that it will be quick and as painless as possible. And I pray for peace for you.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #88 on: May 12, 2007, 09:50:53 AM »

DR Danise - My thoughts and prayers are with you and your mother.

As for the medications the doctor prescribed for you, it sounds like s/he may have given you some low-level chill pills.  I doubt you would have been given anything "too zonky" since you're still working, driving and taking care of your mother.  I'd ask your doctor a few more questions about them, and maybe you could just start off with a half dosage, and then see how it goes from there.  Taking them would not be running away, in fact, they may help you keep a level-head further down the line.

As for the doggy-door... Well, I just hope that Sheena is "neat", if you get my drift.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #89 on: May 12, 2007, 09:52:37 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up!  I slept in until Noon, but I'm up.

Now I just wish it wasn't such a nice day outside.  I really should stay inside and get some work done.  But it's supposed to rain tomorrow, so...  -Alas, it was supposed to rain yesterday too.  And the day before that...  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13   Go Up