News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: QUITE  (Read 34775 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:QUITE
« Reply #180 on: May 18, 2007, 02:53:17 PM »

Now, I'm REALLY going!  ;D
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #181 on: May 18, 2007, 02:55:24 PM »

Spoo! I lied!

Page Seven Harry and Ron in Divination Class Dance!!!

If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #182 on: May 18, 2007, 03:05:23 PM »

Was it in BK's notes?

Well....possi-BLEE....
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #183 on: May 18, 2007, 03:05:57 PM »

My goodness Mr RLP, I have just noticed that  you are quickly approaching another major milestone (postwise)

Huh....I hadn't noticed.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #184 on: May 18, 2007, 03:06:15 PM »

I guess all I need is to do a little pushing.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #185 on: May 18, 2007, 03:07:34 PM »

Now if only....

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #186 on: May 18, 2007, 03:07:53 PM »

....I can get...

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #187 on: May 18, 2007, 03:08:16 PM »

...my back into it!

Hurg!

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #188 on: May 18, 2007, 03:19:18 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Congratulations to RLP on his new plateau!! [/move]

I can't figure out how to "capture" it  for posterity a la George

Member Number: 136

« Last Edit: May 18, 2007, 03:22:42 PM by vixmom »
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #189 on: May 18, 2007, 03:20:31 PM »

Well I must get the Vixter to the theatre... her audience awaits......

::)

;)
ta!
« Last Edit: May 18, 2007, 03:23:31 PM by vixmom »

vixmom

« Reply #190 on: May 18, 2007, 03:23:57 PM »

and love to elmore..... just because

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #191 on: May 18, 2007, 03:25:41 PM »

I've decided that I do NOT enjoy being the self-checkout attendent.

It's simply a frustrating job, watching people scanning their groceries and then trying to figure out how to get the computer to ring up their produce purchases, all the while knowing that I can do the exact same job in half the time and exerting much less energy.

I suppose the plus of having the self-checkout lanes is that it gives those customers that use them the satisfaction of thinking they have done the job well.  But I know better.

I'm also a better bagger than most of the customers.  I automatically know to put cold items together, hot items together, canned items together, boxed items with other boxes, and so on.  I know better than to put a cantalope on top of grapes.  But some of these customers are totally clueless.

*sigh*
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #192 on: May 18, 2007, 03:26:24 PM »

and love to elmore..... just because
Well, that goes without saying!

(But I'm glad you said it.)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #193 on: May 18, 2007, 03:27:21 PM »

DR vixmom - If I may lend an assist...

Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #194 on: May 18, 2007, 03:33:30 PM »

The other thing that irritates me about the self-checkout registers is the negative attitude some of the customers have about them.  "They're going to take away your jobs, y'know!"

Well, no they're not.  We're still going to have the regular registers.  If the system goes down, the way it did earlier this week, we'll have to have the regular registers.

I point out to these naysayers that we've hired five new cashiers in the past month.

"Oh, sure, for the summer, but come winter you'll all be out of jobs."

Come winter, business throughout Rehoboth Beach slows down.  Some business do shut down from January through early March.  The grocery stores stay open - we just get our hours cut back.

(One of our hires, Herb, was with us last summer.  He works in Rehoboth during the summer, then moves down to Florida for the winter and works down there.  Smart man.)

But the naysayers are absolutely sure they are right, and no amount of facts will change their minds.

Again, *sigh*

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #195 on: May 18, 2007, 03:37:07 PM »

On the other hand, there's this delightful older woman, easily in her late eighties, who has tried the newfangled checkout machines and is thrilled to be doing something new.  She knows I'll be there to help her.  I wonder if it's the idea of doing something she hasn't tried before, or having the attentive attendent paying attention to her that brings her back.  All I know for sure is that she's happy.

That makes things better for me.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #196 on: May 18, 2007, 03:37:38 PM »

Good Evening!

I can't believe the rain held off...

I decided that I needed to get out of the apartment for a bit and just get some fresh air.  So, that's what I did.

I took the D Train down to 7th Ave...  Took care of some banking... Checked the ticket availability for tonight's concert at Carnegie Hall by the San Francisco Symphony... Then decided I wasn't really in a symphonic mood tonight... Although, a friend of mine has a couple of spare nosebleed seats for tonight, so....  We'll see... Walked up Broadway... Stopped at Grom for some gelato (1/2 ExtraNoir Chocolate, 1/2 Cassata Sicialiana)... Stopped in at Zabar's for some knishes, pistachio halvah, spicy roasted root vegetables (which weren't all that spicy, but still good), cheeses, etc...  Then walked over to Central Park West to grab the train back uptown at 86th Street.

And, again, the rain held off, and those skies look like they could break any second now.

The walk was good.  The fresh air was good.  The gelato was good.  The goodies from Zabar's were good - and no I did not eat everything I bought today.  And, lo and behold, I did not stop at Levain!  Mon Dieu!
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #197 on: May 18, 2007, 03:42:34 PM »

DR vixmom - If I may lend an assist...

Awww...you GUYS!   Thanks!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #198 on: May 18, 2007, 03:42:51 PM »

Good Evening!

I can't believe the rain held off...

I decided that I needed to get out of the apartment for a bit and just get some fresh air.  So, that's what I did.

I took the D Train down to 7th Ave...  Took care of some banking... Checked the ticket availability for tonight's concert at Carnegie Hall by the San Francisco Symphony... Then decided I wasn't really in a symphonic mood tonight... Although, a friend of mine has a couple of spare nosebleed seats for tonight, so....  We'll see... Walked up Broadway... Stopped at Grom for some gelato (1/2 ExtraNoir Chocolate, 1/2 Cassata Sicialiana)... Stopped in at Zabar's for some knishes, pistachio halvah, spicy roasted root vegetables (which weren't all that spicy, but still good), cheeses, etc...  Then walked over to Central Park West to grab the train back uptown at 86th Street.

And, again, the rain held off, and those skies look like they could break any second now.

The walk was good.  The fresh air was good.  The gelato was good.  The goodies from Zabar's were good - and no I did not eat everything I bought today.  And, lo and behold, I did not stop at Levain!  Mon Dieu!

DR Jose, damn! I wish I could have gone with you tonight. We could have gone backstage and seen Michael Tilson Thomas after.  I haven't seen him in years and I love him.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #199 on: May 18, 2007, 03:42:57 PM »

DR SWW - Sometimes I use the self-checkout lanes, and sometimes I don't.  And sometimes I find myself "reminding" people that they have to place their item in the bag/on the scale before they can proceed.  ;)

I've found that if I just have one or two items to buy, then I'll do the self-checkout - if there's no line for them.  However, one thing I loved about Ukrop's in Richmond was that during the busy lunch (11-1) and post-work (4:30-6:30) period, the would designate one lane EXPRESS(!) - with a limit of TWO(!!) items - and that limit was strictly (but gently) enforced.  And that was always faster than the self-checkout lanes especially when was one paying with cash.  -Feeding dollar bills into that machine takes time.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #200 on: May 18, 2007, 03:44:11 PM »

DR Jose, damn! I wish I could have gone with you tonight. We could have gone backstage and seen Michael Tilson Thomas after.  I haven't seen him in years and I love him.

Well, if the symphonic mood ends up striking me later and I end up going, I'll throw MTT a bouquet with your regards.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #201 on: May 18, 2007, 03:45:28 PM »

Hmm... The picholine olives I picked up at Zabar's earlier are tres delicieux!
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #202 on: May 18, 2007, 03:49:03 PM »

My U of Toronto nemesis certainly seems to have a strong anti-American streak amongst his smug "I am a Superior Brit" attitude.  And what's with those comstantly changing "I'm really funny" quotes under his Google posts?  What an ass.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

singdaw

« Reply #203 on: May 18, 2007, 03:59:06 PM »

An ass with sass!

singdaw

« Reply #204 on: May 18, 2007, 04:00:12 PM »

And the rain is STILL holding off!

singdaw

« Reply #205 on: May 18, 2007, 04:04:49 PM »

Befitting today's topic, it is QUITE quiet here today.

singdaw

« Reply #206 on: May 18, 2007, 04:06:51 PM »

Everyone must be resting.

singdaw

« Reply #207 on: May 18, 2007, 04:09:02 PM »

Unless I've missed it, I don't believe there is a way to search bk's notes [only].

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #208 on: May 18, 2007, 04:15:18 PM »

And the rain is STILL holding off!

I blame DR Jose!

And now, out for a social event with a few ex-B&N'ers.

singdaw

« Reply #209 on: May 18, 2007, 04:17:43 PM »

Bondage & Narcolepsy?

;)
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11   Go Up