Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 16   Go Down

Author Topic: TWITCHY AND BITCHY AND MANIC  (Read 41394 times)

MusicGuy

• ...at an audition to accompany Guy Haines...
Re:TWITCHY AND BITCHY AND MANIC
« Reply #120 on: June 07, 2007, 09:37:59 AM »

And now, off to a few errands...........

MusicGuy

• ...at an audition to accompany Guy Haines...
« Reply #121 on: June 07, 2007, 09:38:58 AM »

Oh, ..... and a new page 5 dance ..

".............CAVORTING IN A GORGEOUS GOWN WITH GOLDEN BALLS......"

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #122 on: June 07, 2007, 09:46:44 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.  And greeted by a nice, sunny day, too.  I shall now have to de-groggify so I can joggify.  Joan has moved our rehearsal to noon, and that's actually better for me.  I don't want to drive down to Santa Monica in traffic.  Getting back home will be another story, but I may just visit a few stores and work my way back to Nichols Canyon, where getting over the hill is easy.  

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #123 on: June 07, 2007, 09:50:58 AM »

Dear DR SWoody, if I may make a suggestion. I suggest that you tell the new baggers/cart wranglers to treat the little old ladies the way you would hope someone would treat their grandmothers.

I also think that all old women should be helped out to their cars. It is safer for them. We have had purse snatchers locally. One chinchy bassa knocked over an old woman for her purse, which broke her hip, and she subsequently died. Then there is the case of the young girl abducted from the Target parking lot a few days ago. The more folks in the parking lot, the safer everyone is.
Fortunately, Rehoboth Beach is not known as a high crime area - we hear about very little crime taking place, in fact.

However, one of the points I've gone over with the couple of new wranglers that I've trained is that being a visible presence in the lot helps our customers feel safer.  They (the customers) may not even realize it, but it's there.  And they love being greeted with a cheery "Good morning" or told goodbye with "Have a pleasant day!"
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #124 on: June 07, 2007, 09:51:01 AM »

I gather most CDs have gone up to 19.99 - it seems to be the new list price for everything, CD-wise.  And I can tell you why, at least the way it seems to me:

Tower's gone, stores are ordering much fewer CDs, amazon takes a HUGE chunk of the money (more than fifty percent, which is outrageous, but they're the only game in town), same with other sites, and if the company has independent distribution, they're taking a big chunk, too.  The joke is, of course, that CDs cost less than ever to manufacture.  But cast albums are hugely expensive to produce and that's a factor, too.

For the time being, Kritzerland will stay at 17.98.  

Amazon's huge takings is what enables them to do the sorts of discounts they do, but some companies refuse to let them do it.  I'm always surprised, based on what they're taking from Kritzerland releases, that they don't do some sort of discount on our product.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #125 on: June 07, 2007, 09:54:34 AM »

*And that "magic trick" is most definitely NOT for viewing at the workplace.

That's exactly where I watched it.  And I sent it off to a couple of office buddies, too.

I thought it was cute, but there was something strange about that woman.  She was a little too "out there".  But I guess that's Europeans for you...
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #126 on: June 07, 2007, 09:54:34 AM »

Oohh....

The Whole Foods stores in New York City are now open until 11:00PM!

-Just sayin'...
We're open 24/7.

But just during the summer.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #127 on: June 07, 2007, 09:56:37 AM »

Well.. CD Prices are basically going up because the companies want to make more money, and each time CD prices have gone up, people still buy them.  Yes, there's some grumbling initially, but people still buy them.

Yes, Amazon and the "big box stores" have been cutting into profit margins - their own and the record companies - but there's the ever-increasing digital download market.  And now that some formerly "questionable" sites like Napster have gone legal, well...

I'm still surprised that most classical CDs are priced below the current pop/rock/country/etc. pricing.  Alas, I also suspect that the amount of production, promotion, etc. for a five-piece band is actually more than it would be for a 60-piece orchestra.  But since the classical CD and classical recording business is on it's own slippery slope right now, well... :-\
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #128 on: June 07, 2007, 09:57:26 AM »

That's exactly where I watched it.  And I sent it off to a couple of office buddies, too.

I thought it was cute, but there was something strange about that woman.  She was a little too "out there".  But I guess that's Europeans for you...

:)

I just loved her consistency from segment to segment.  And those fingers!
Make Your Own Luck.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #129 on: June 07, 2007, 10:00:32 AM »

What chain stores are out there that are still devoted to music sales?  There are shops called FYE (which replaced The Wall) in all the local area malls.  I guess Barnes and Noble should be counted because of their generally large music departments.  But what else is out there?
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #130 on: June 07, 2007, 10:02:15 AM »

I went to buy CURTAINS (OCR) last night, and I was shocked at the price. SInce when have CDs gone to a $19.99 list price! Even Amazon's discount wasn't much. I may have to Deep Discount this one so I can take advantage of their current sale.

I went to Amazon a minute ago and saw it listed at $17.99.

Perhaps it's fluctuating with the stock exchange.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2007, 10:02:36 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #131 on: June 07, 2007, 10:08:58 AM »

Are all the classical music aficionados aware of ArkivMusic.com?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2007, 10:09:23 AM by Dan (the Man) »
-- Anaïs Nin

singdaw

« Reply #132 on: June 07, 2007, 10:23:53 AM »

Are all the classical music aficionados aware of ArkivMusic.com?

They have great service, and their website is truly remarkable!  :)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #133 on: June 07, 2007, 10:38:54 AM »

I guess I have de-groggified and am now trying to motivate myself so I can be joggified.

I've been reading some reviews of the 110 In The Shade CD, and they all mention that Evening Star was cut for Broadway (in the original production) but apparently they don't say why or explain why it was put back or GIVE CREDIT WHERE CREDIT IS DUE.  Damn them, damn them all to hell.  Why, all they need to do is read the Lost In Boston IV liner notes to find out that the song was cut very early on, never worked - in Scott Ellis' revival at City Opera, he toyed with putting it back in, but it still didn't work and it wasn't put in.  When it came time to do LIB IV, Mr. Haines was determined to sing the song, because, like me, he loves the tune mightiliy.  But I knew what was wrong with the song instantly and it's why it had never been in the show and why I hadn't recorded it with the first batch of cut songs from 110.  It was too short and had no bridge - just the two choruses and done.  It wasn't a complete song.  I called Harvey Schmidt and told him how much Guy wanted to sing it and told him what I thought was wrong and asked him if there was any way he'd consider writing a bridge.  We talked about it for quite a while and he was very nice about it because we're friends, but I could tell he wasn't that open to it in our conversation.  Two days later, I got a cassette in the mail with the most beautiful bridge - simply gorgeous - it made me cry, actually.  I called him and told him how thrilled I was.  He then told me he didn't think Tom would ever consent to writing a lyric for it, though.  So, I asked him to call Tom and just remind him how many Schmidt and Jones songs and shows I'd recorded - you know, guilt-trip him.  It worked and a few days later I had the lyric and we recorded the song.  Then it got put into the Signature production, then the David Lee production in Pasadena, and now the new Broadway production.  And, of course, it works, because it's a complete song with a complete lyric and it's perfect for the character.  

But do they mention it?  Nooooooo.

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #134 on: June 07, 2007, 10:49:13 AM »

Then it got put into the Signature production, then the David Lee production in Pasadena, and now the new Broadway production.  And, of course, it works, because it's a complete song with a complete lyric and it's perfect for the character.  

But do they mention it?  Nooooooo.

I am glad to know the whole story behind that. It's a very interesting one, too...everyone should know about it. Damn them all to hell!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

singdaw

« Reply #135 on: June 07, 2007, 10:52:33 AM »

GIVE CREDIT WHERE CREDIT IS DUE.

Anna Leonowens could teach THEM a thing or two!  :)

Very interesting background information, bk!

singdaw

« Reply #136 on: June 07, 2007, 10:53:39 AM »

DR JoseSPiano-  Is there, perhaps, a MALE version of that "magic" act?  ;)

singdaw

« Reply #137 on: June 07, 2007, 10:58:30 AM »

DR MusicGuy - didn't know if you had seen this article on Rosa Rio.

I just hope that I'm that spry, at 105!   :P
« Last Edit: June 07, 2007, 11:18:47 AM by singdaw »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #138 on: June 07, 2007, 11:00:49 AM »

DR JoseSPiano-  Is there, perhaps, a MALE version of that "magic" act?  ;)

We were wondering the same thing last night.  ;D
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #139 on: June 07, 2007, 11:03:21 AM »

Well, it's a simply gorgeous day outside, and I think I'm going to head to the Park.  And I think I may actually go for a job around the Reservoir too.  :)

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

singdaw

« Reply #140 on: June 07, 2007, 11:06:09 AM »

I may actually go for a job around the Reservoir too.

Make sure he pays in cash...

;)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2007, 11:20:36 AM by singdaw »

MBarnum

« Reply #141 on: June 07, 2007, 11:11:17 AM »

Well.. CD Prices are basically going up because the companies want to make more money, and each time CD prices have gone up, people still buy them.  Yes, there's some grumbling initially, but people still buy them.

Yes, Amazon and the "big box stores" have been cutting into profit margins - their own and the record companies - but there's the ever-increasing digital download market.  And now that some formerly "questionable" sites like Napster have gone legal, well...

I'm still surprised that most classical CDs are priced below the current pop/rock/country/etc. pricing.  Alas, I also suspect that the amount of production, promotion, etc. for a five-piece band is actually more than it would be for a 60-piece orchestra.  But since the classical CD and classical recording business is on it's own slippery slope right now, well... :-\

Of course Bollywood soundtrack CDs run an average of $2.99...I like that price! of course there are those wonderful 39 cent, 69 cent, and 99 cent sales....and that is why I have SO MANY CDs!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #142 on: June 07, 2007, 11:12:47 AM »

DR JRand56 - she's not quite in 1st place at this very moment, but she's close, and in the running.

For those DRs who may wish to cast an extra vote or two, here is the link.

I just cast my vote and here are the totals, as of 11:05 am PDT:

Vote for your favorite FlyerIdol now...  
Mark Casey  4.70%    
Gina L. Donahue  2.93%    
Jean Duemling  8.40%    
Debbi Hodde  6.94%    
Lynn Jump  5.01%    
April McCarty  6.86%    
Amanda Mitchell  25.13% (#1!!!!!)
Wendy Newman  10.02%    
Jeff Stone  6.63%    
Gus Toney  2.08%    
M. Wade Wingler  21.28% (#2)
1297 votes counted

;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

MBarnum

« Reply #143 on: June 07, 2007, 11:15:17 AM »

Thanks to the influence of BK and his recent French film watching, I just watched the 1939 French film Le Jour se lève which I DVR'ed fron TCM the other night....BK was this a movie you had seen???

It was quite good, storywise, but the lead actor Jean Gabin was what was most impressive about the film...absolutely fantastic! He reminded me of many actors that I have seen as well as some people I have known...it was strange.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #144 on: June 07, 2007, 11:15:19 AM »

TWITCHY and BITCHY and MANIC, oh my!  :)

Better than TWITCHY and BITCHY and ITCHY, oh God!

der Brucer

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #145 on: June 07, 2007, 11:17:32 AM »

Our Postal Hot Spot still seems to worK:

Return to OZ CD arrived today

der Brucer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #146 on: June 07, 2007, 11:18:19 AM »

Haven't seen that film, but will.  

Back from the jog.  Must now run an errand.

singdaw

« Reply #147 on: June 07, 2007, 11:21:19 AM »

Back from the jog.  Must now run an errand.

jogging AND running?  That is ambitious!

DERBRUCER

« Reply #148 on: June 07, 2007, 11:21:43 AM »

I have cast 10 votes this a.m.   She was nicely in first place, but not by much.

Poor M. Wade Wingler -- he may be scarred for life by HainesHisWay.com.  And he will never know it.

We do learn from American Idol, don't we :)

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #149 on: June 07, 2007, 11:23:21 AM »

After the lengthy first act, we all welcomed the chance to INTROMIT.

der Brucer
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 16   Go Up