Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: SMELL-O-NOTES  (Read 42619 times)

FJL

Re:SMELL-O-NOTES
« Reply #60 on: July 16, 2007, 06:11:49 AM »

Julie was the friend with whom I went to D.C. last weekend.  We saw Witches of Eastwick (at which we were joined by Milla), Dead Man's Cell Phone, and the naked Macbeth.

FJL

« Reply #61 on: July 16, 2007, 06:13:30 AM »

Thanks again to Jose for making our D.C. trip so much smoother with his fine advice.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #62 on: July 16, 2007, 06:14:19 AM »

Good morning!

It's sort of cool this morning. We have a cloud cover, so the sun isn't being allowed to be blazing hot (yet). I guess we'll have more rain later today. It IS in the forecast.

Funny, with all the rain we've had, we're still in draught conditions. The paper this morning said that we'd have to have at least the remnants of a tropical storm to get us out of a minus situation.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #63 on: July 16, 2007, 06:16:29 AM »

I can remember participating in one standing ovation during a performance - "Who's That Woman" during the original FOLLIES.

Like others, I am very stingy with my standing ovations at the end of a performance, often to the irritation of folks I'm with. It shouldn't be an automatic thing, and I can say as a performer I don't really appreciate them when I know in my heart it was not a good show.

Julie

« Reply #64 on: July 16, 2007, 06:17:35 AM »

DR Julie.  We are all very pleased you have decided to join us, especially now that I know DR elmore thinks you are the best.  I’m sure he recognizes his own kind.

Do you have any pets

DR Jane, I love animals, and have a cat named Bella.  She is an old lady now - just turned 17.  :o  Quite beautiful, and very loving.  I will try to attach a photo of her.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #65 on: July 16, 2007, 06:18:28 AM »

Good morning, all!  I have another chart on which I shall work today.  Beyond that, I have no plans.

I've been folowing this DR Noel-FJL correspondence and I will add to the posts this thought:
  1.  In 1971, when I still wanted to write musicals, I began collecting original Nancy Drew books to write a girl detective musical to be set in the mid 1930's.
  2.  Around the same time, I was reading commedia dell'arte scenarios for a commedia musical (incidentally, there have been a couple of commedia dell'arte musicals on and off-Broadway as well as  a Harlequinade in 1912's LADY OF THE SLIPPER and  a commedia sequence in THE CAT AND THE FIDDLE). There's even a commedia opera, THE LOVE OF THREE ORANGES, based on the 18th Century Gozzi scenario and Mozart contemplated an opera based on Carlo Goldoni's (Gozzi's commedia rival) commedia THE SERVANT OF TWO MASTERS!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matt H.

« Reply #66 on: July 16, 2007, 06:20:02 AM »

As for stalkers, when I did LA CAGE two years ago (can it be THAT long ago?), we had a semi-stalker. A woman kept coming back to the show night after night and insisted on talking to some of us after the show every night. We'd come out after taking off make-up and costumes, and there she'd be eager to bubble over with her enthusiasm for the show. It was flattering at first but then became kind of creepy.

The weekend after we closed, I went to see the national tour of HAIRSPRAY which was coming through here, and there she was! I wondered if she didn't pick shows and just go night after night because she had nothing else going on in her life.

singdaw

« Reply #67 on: July 16, 2007, 06:22:01 AM »

DR Singdaw - I'm sorry I missed you at Westport.  Were you part of the orchestra along with Jose?

No, I was just going to try to meet up with all of you afterward and then drive you to the train myself...but I was delayed.  That was also to be my first meeting of DR FJL, who I have since met.

Matt H.

« Reply #68 on: July 16, 2007, 06:22:06 AM »

Going to see the 11 a.m. screening of HARRY POTTER this morning, so I'll be back in the afternoon with some opinions.

Tonight I'd like to see BAGHDAD CAFE. It's not a long movie, so I should be able to squeeze it in before I watch anything else.

Matt H.

« Reply #69 on: July 16, 2007, 06:22:48 AM »

Just a reminder about another new episode of THE CLOSER coming up tonight at 9 p.m. on TNT. As usual, I can't wait!

singdaw

« Reply #70 on: July 16, 2007, 06:23:31 AM »

Bella looks like a real sweetie!  :)

Julie

« Reply #71 on: July 16, 2007, 06:24:12 AM »

Well, they're starting to trickle in.  The reviews for the LuPone Gypsy that is.  (As opposed to more party guests.)  In any case...

The reviews are mostly very favorable, except for the NY Times, which is hard to classify.  I loved this production of Gypsy.  I think Brantley secretly did, too.  He said so many nice things about it, and about Patti, within his review.  I suspect he had such high expectations, and there was such good word of mouth from early previews, that it would have been difficult for him to be completely satisfied with it.  

But I was.  :)  I'm going back again tomorrow.   ;D

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #72 on: July 16, 2007, 06:26:34 AM »

TOD:

I've witnessed attempts over the years at mid-show standing ovations--some yahoo in the first row would stand and a couple of other yahoos here and there would follow suit.  But the last time I saw this happen, after Michael Cerveris had finished "Epiphany" in the SWEENEY TODD revival, just about half the orchestra section rose to their feet.  That was disturbing on a number of levels.

As far as end-of-show standing o's are concerned, I think DR Singdaw has hit the nail on the head--most people get up because they just want to see the curtain call with out being blocked by the yahoos who are standing.  At the prices of shows today, people want to squeeze every drop of the experience they can and no one wants to miss the last glimpse of the performers, no matter who they are.  As for myself, well I'm not going to stand for a touring company of LES MIZ, but since I know there is some funny staging in the curtain call for CURTAINS, I most probably will for that.

It's funny how standing o's evolved from the other annoyance of the 70's and early 80's--audiences standing up and leaving during the curtain calls.  How freaking rude that was!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Julie

« Reply #73 on: July 16, 2007, 06:27:13 AM »

DR Singdaw - Zach is beautiful.  Thanks for sharing the photo.

Ginny

« Reply #74 on: July 16, 2007, 06:29:52 AM »

Monday morning greetings!  Here I am at work...

TOD - I agree standing ovations are overdone, but often participate just to see the curtain call.  I also like to stay after a musical to hear the play-out music and applaud the orchestra.  So many people totally ignore the fact that music is even being played.  
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #75 on: July 16, 2007, 06:30:43 AM »

I never did get around in the 1970s to thinking about a Pirate musical - I still shudder at the thought -  because THE PIRATE I wanted to musicalize was the Lunts' comedy made into the Judy Garland-Gene Kelly-Cole Porter film but, in case anyone wants to "borrow" from me, I did consider as well:
  1.  a Feydeau farce musical
  2.  Anouilh's THIEVES CARNIVAL
  3.  BELL BOOK & CANDLE

I was taking the Feydeau idea from the Plautus idea for FORUM, I liked the stylized comedy of THIEVES CARNIVAL, maybe still my favorite Anouilh play after rING ROUND THE MOON, and my fear about a witch musical was that it was too close to HIGH SPRITS!
« Last Edit: July 16, 2007, 06:33:04 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ginny

« Reply #76 on: July 16, 2007, 06:31:23 AM »

Welcome to new DR Julie!  Hope you'll join in the fun when we Hainsies and Kimlets get together in NYC!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #77 on: July 16, 2007, 06:31:35 AM »

No, I was just going to try to meet up with all of you afterward and then drive you to the train myself...but I was delayed.  That was also to be my first meeting of DR FJL, who I have since met.

And your first run-in with moi.

FJL

« Reply #78 on: July 16, 2007, 06:32:30 AM »

My favorite possibly-forced standing O was at a show where the ovation was very strong but not standing.  The curtain came down for a substantial while (maybe 20 seconds), so the applause stopped completely and the audience got up to get ready to leave.  Once most of the audience was standing to leave, many with their backs to the stage, they brought up the curtain again - and the audience, already standing, strated applauding again with coats in hand because we didn't know what else to do.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2007, 06:33:19 AM by FJL »

Ginny

« Reply #79 on: July 16, 2007, 06:32:53 AM »

What will Broadway do without DRs Jason and Jose this week?

Travel vibes to both!
« Last Edit: July 16, 2007, 06:33:31 AM by Ginny »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #80 on: July 16, 2007, 06:34:16 AM »

What will Broadway do without DRs Jason and Jose this week?

You missed the huge sigh of relief that occurred shortly after midnight in midtown Manhattan?

Julie

« Reply #81 on: July 16, 2007, 06:35:24 AM »

No one gave me a welcome mat ....

or  toaster, or any sort of welcome gift when I joined ...  

Welcome Newbie Julie -- maybe DR FJL will send you some welcome chocolates (but don't be surprised if they never get to you...)

Thank you Miss Karen.  
I'm sure it was just an oversight.  Perhaps to make up for it, BK will send you the lovely set of steak knives, which I understand is the newbie gift of the week.

As for DR FJL, I like to think that he is enjoying my chocolates right now -- dark chocolate with caramel inside, I think.   ;)

Thanks for the welcome DR TCB!

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #82 on: July 16, 2007, 06:35:30 AM »

Noel - When you say, "I'm merely bemused and amused that three 2007 musicals by famous writers, Curtains, The Pirate Queen and The Glorious Ones are ever-so-faintly reminiscent of mine," has this been true of any other year?  And do you believe any of these people saw or were aware of your work?

Not sure how I can make this any clearer.  I was commenting on a funny coincidence.  I don't think there's any chance any of those Tony-winning writers saw any of my shows.  Very few people of note (well, there's Skip and Mr. Sondheim) have ever seen any of my 12 produced musicals, which is why the exposure of NYMF is such an extraordinary godsend.  Takes me to a whole new level.

No, there's been no year like '07  :-*

I hope to see Haineslies and Kimlets Friday, September 28, 2007 @ 8pm; Saturday, September 29, 2007 @ 1pm; Sunday, September 30, 2007 @ 4:30pm; Wednesday, October 3, 2007 @ 4:30pm; and @ 8pm; or Saturday, October 6, 2007 @ 1pm at The Julia Miles Theatre, 424 W. 55th
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #83 on: July 16, 2007, 06:38:28 AM »

Thank you Miss Karen.  
I'm sure it was just an oversight.  Perhaps to make up for it, BK will send you the lovely set of steak knives, which I understand is the newbie gift of the week.

As for DR FJL, I like to think that he is enjoying my chocolates right now -- dark chocolate with caramel inside, I think.   ;)

Thanks for the welcome DR TCB!

And I thought I was the only one to bring DR FJL and Skip chocolates!

DR Julie, where's your avatar? Will it be your beautiful smile? some talisman? something to shock, alarm, or amuse us?

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #84 on: July 16, 2007, 06:45:27 AM »

As far as the groupies thing on B'way nowadays, I'm just puzzled.  Who are these kids and where are they getting their money?  If half the posts on All That Chat are true, these kids are seeing Spring Afakening every freaking night!  That is not appreciating theatre--that's obsessive masturbation.  From what I remember, the same thing happened with RENT the first year or so after it opened--the same claque of kids seeing it repeatedly who would sing along--out loud--not only with the songs but with the recitative as well.  I'm just glad that the brand of show that attracts these yahoos aren't the type of shows that I would go see a second time (or even a first.)

About ten years ago, there was a kid who posted regularly on rec.arts.theatre.musicals who incessantly rhapsodized about the talents of Debbie Gibson.  He was actually arrested for stalking her when she was doing BEAUTY AND THE BEAST on B'way.  Scary!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

singdaw

« Reply #85 on: July 16, 2007, 06:46:00 AM »

And your first run-in with moi.

Absolutely true!  I have since had the pleasure twice now!   :D

Julie

« Reply #86 on: July 16, 2007, 06:52:47 AM »

Positive mixed review indeed DR Jose.  I was lucky enough to see the AL version in London.  I truly believed her "Rose".  I've seen quite a few others try. It's such a balancing act and requires something truly special - not just a knock-out performance of the songs.  On film (despite the fact that I am not a fan usually) I wish Midler had got it right. I still prefer the flawed Ros. film.

I saw the Angela version when it was on Broadway - one of my fondest theater memories.  Maybe it was because I was very young, or because it was the first time I had seen Gypsy, but I loved it and think of it as the definitive Gypsy against which I compare all other productions.  That was the cast recording I always listened to - not the Merman version, simply because it was the one that I saw.

Anyway - back to the current version with LuPone. -- How nice to get to hear the amazing score played by a full-sized orchestra.  And the overture - arguably the greatest ever written.  I couldn't wipe the smile off my face through the whole thing.

Jason

« Reply #87 on: July 16, 2007, 06:53:14 AM »

Unfortunately, having worked Rent more times than I ever intended, I've had many an encounter with the theatre groupies. It's unsettling not only to me, but certainly to the performers, who often come out onstage to find people in the front row who are dressed in wild, ridiculous costumes of show merchandise (from which, sadly, my business benefits) if not costumes of the characters themselves! Yes, people do come to the show dressed as Angel, Mimi, Roger... My favorite was the guy who came dressed as Luther Creek as Roger. That's right...he was dressed as an understudy going on in a leading role. Now that's devotion.

I don't think I've ever given a standing ovation during a show unless the performance was incredibly good. I may have stood for Patti's "Rose's Turn," and if I did, it was certainly a merited ovation. Truly one of the most incredible moments I've ever had in a theatre. I've seen a lot of shows here - worked more of them - and a standing ovation in the middle of a show is a rare thing. I can't honestly say I've seen a lot of those since I've been here...

DR Julie: Color me jealous. I would much rather see GYPSY again tonight than work at my own show.

And now I'm off to the Hamptons for a day of fun...

Jason

« Reply #88 on: July 16, 2007, 06:54:06 AM »

And I'm listening to the Angela Lansbury cast recording right this very minute. (Oh! A quasi-MAME reference...)

Matt H.

« Reply #89 on: July 16, 2007, 07:00:01 AM »

As many times as I've been to NYC, I've never ventured to the Hamptons, Fire Island, etc. Just never had the opportunity.

Hope you have a great time, DR Jason.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2007, 07:00:27 AM by Matt H. »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15   Go Up