Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: BLAME IT ON THE BOSSA NOVA  (Read 60301 times)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
Re:BLAME IT ON THE BOSSA NOVA
« Reply #90 on: August 13, 2007, 09:08:41 AM »

LOL DR Ben!

I thought I may have been alone in my dislike of Jennifer's screaming which became more laughable each time the act was reprised on an award show!  (Sorry DR Ron)

Not at all, it is I who am sorry for "you" and "Ben".
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #91 on: August 13, 2007, 09:09:26 AM »

Have to move on to the next choice for a leading man - the guy we had an offer out to just got offered the lead in Charles Busch's Die Mommy Die, like we NEED to have a production of THAT show in NY again.  So, back to square one.  Still waiting word from our leading lady offer, but we've got a backup for that, at least.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #92 on: August 13, 2007, 09:10:51 AM »

Good morning. Well, I'll pretend it's still morning. It's still morning elsewhere.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #93 on: August 13, 2007, 09:12:43 AM »

CONGRATULATIONS to EDISAURUS on saying MORT to her mortgage. I suspect that not many people are doing that these days, maybe not even trying.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #94 on: August 13, 2007, 09:24:40 AM »

Good Afternoon!

Back from lunch: Chicken Breast sauteed with Asparagus and Yellow Bell Peppers with Lemon and Olive Oil.  Very "Med" and sunny.  And yummy!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #95 on: August 13, 2007, 09:25:29 AM »

DR edisaurus - So, does the paying off of your (old) house have anything to do with the moving into your (new) house?
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #96 on: August 13, 2007, 09:26:36 AM »

DR Cason - Even though I suspect he's out and about in Brooklyn somewhere... I should be done here no later than 2:30, so...  Hope to see you sometime today.
Make Your Own Luck.

singdaw

« Reply #97 on: August 13, 2007, 09:29:39 AM »

I suspect he's out and about in Brooklyn somewhere...

I hear a tree grows there...

singdaw

« Reply #98 on: August 13, 2007, 09:34:38 AM »

Is Charles Strouse's "Blame It On the Summer Night" [ from Rags ] in a bossa nova mode?  I can't remember how the song goes at the moment...

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #99 on: August 13, 2007, 09:34:53 AM »

TOD:

I've alway liked Bossa Nova, but I'd like to expand the TOD a bit. I used to be a fan of Laurindo Almeida and would often attend LA FOUR concerts. Anyone remember the LA FOUR? Laurindo Almeida, Bud Shank (Shelley Mann in earlier days), Ray Brown, and ??? (can't recall). Almeida did a series of three albums on vinyl called DUETS WITH THE SPANISH GUITAR, that I loved. When it went to CD it was reduced to just one volume, unfortunately. I can't get to my vinyl collection right now to look it up because Marvelous Matt has his tools stored in that area of the living room.

I also ADORE the BACHIANAS BRASILEIRAS. It was one of those things that I liked so much the first time I heard it that I wanted to jump up and down.

I also love YO-YO MA's SOUL OF THE TANGO, the music of Astor Piazzolla. I had never heard sounds like this before, and, again, just took to it like a duck to water.

I do thank DR JMK and BK for their recommendations here. I'd like to explore this area much more fully.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #100 on: August 13, 2007, 09:37:49 AM »

Enjoyed your vacation photos, Singdaw. Your mother's house is really cute. Healing vibes to Zach.

singdaw

« Reply #101 on: August 13, 2007, 09:37:58 AM »

singdaw

« Reply #102 on: August 13, 2007, 09:38:27 AM »

Thanks, DR Jeanne!   :)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #103 on: August 13, 2007, 09:40:56 AM »

As for memorization...

Bach - Not easy.  I hear the music a bit too horizontally at times for it to coordinate between my hands.  -And, of course, on both of my graduation recitals in college, I picked Fugues with four(!) voices.  -And I almost chose the beautiful Prelude and Fugue in B-Flat Minor -which has a FIVE voice fugue!

Beethoven - The sonatas I learned in college were surprisingly easy for me to memorize.  Don't really know why, but they were.

Ravel and Debussy - I would always have two or three "Oh Sh*t!" places here and there in whatever I learned.

As for words... Well... There's a reason I gave up being on stage early on.  ;)  However, when I studied voice, song memorization came quite easy to me.  I mean, when you have all semester to memorize and prepare five songs, well...  And that was usually in three or four different languages.  Of course, I still "marvel" at students who can't seem to learn and memorize even just two songs over a semester's time!?!?!?  L-A-Z-Y-!-!-!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #104 on: August 13, 2007, 09:45:52 AM »

DR Jeanne - Have you heard Cesaria Evora's first album?  Wonderful music from the Antilles.  -Although, "The Very Best Of...." compilation is a great collection too.

And a bit a closer to home, I LOVE Linda Ronstadt's "Frenesi" album.
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #105 on: August 13, 2007, 09:46:33 AM »

Hoo and Ray, I just got approval to leave at 4pm today to be home in time to accompany DH Richard and DS Rob to look at Rob's potential "first apartment."  Yikes, this is scary for a mom!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Miss Karen

« Reply #106 on: August 13, 2007, 09:51:23 AM »

Well, SwingLow Sweet Chariot!  Look who's back - FINALLY! SwingDaw!  You were missed -- and our posting totals dipped dramatically!

MBarnum

« Reply #107 on: August 13, 2007, 09:51:36 AM »

My intro to bossa nova probably came when I was a youngin'.

Sergio Mendes/Brasil 66, Astrud Gilberto, Stan Getz would all be favorites.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2007, 09:51:53 AM by MBarnum »

Ginny

« Reply #108 on: August 13, 2007, 09:51:44 AM »

TOD - I just checked my library's catalog for some bossa nova recordings to play while perusing book reviews.  Seems all the CDs that belong here in this building are checked out.  Someone in Dayton must love bossa nova!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

MBarnum

« Reply #109 on: August 13, 2007, 09:55:10 AM »

RE: Memorizing lines,

I can barely remember my own name, so I was never that good at memorizing lines. In fact when I played the doctor in BLITHE SPIRIT I started my scene with the first line and then skipped the entire scene, and everyone elses lines, and said my final line. Somehow the rest of the cast got through it, but I was certainly at a loss when the correct time came for me to actually say that final line of mine which I had already said earlier.

singdaw

« Reply #110 on: August 13, 2007, 09:59:05 AM »

You were missed -- and our posting totals dipped dramatically!

Aw, shucks!   :-[      I will try to be less E&T going forward!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #111 on: August 13, 2007, 09:59:10 AM »

Well... Of course, while I was out foraging for lunch, I came across a new French bakery, "Madeleine Patisserie".  -Which just happened to have a few write-ups in the Times and TONY over the past few weeks.

Yes, they do sell "Madeleines" - plain, hazelnut, pisachio and chocolate, but they specialize in macaroons... In at least 15 flavors!  So...

Today, I tried a Raspberry with Blueberry Filling, and a Lemon with Chocolate Filling.  Quite good, although a little "heavier" than what I'm used to.  She also keeps her macaroons in a refrigerated display case.  Consequently, once they're out of the case - and in your hand - some moisture starts to condense on them.  But that's just a small quibble, a very small quibble.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2007, 10:01:21 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #112 on: August 13, 2007, 09:59:28 AM »

Good Afternoon!

Back from lunch: Chicken Breast sauteed with Asparagus and Yellow Bell Peppers with Lemon and Olive Oil.  Very "Med" and sunny.  And yummy!

Oh, man!  That sounds fantastic!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

singdaw

« Reply #113 on: August 13, 2007, 10:00:30 AM »

Here is Wickipedia's crash course on the bossa nova for the clewless, like me...

singdaw

« Reply #114 on: August 13, 2007, 10:02:28 AM »

My intro to bossa nova probably came when I was a youngin'.

If DR elmore3003 were here, he'd make some crack about age.

But I'm not gonna, no siree.    :)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #115 on: August 13, 2007, 10:02:38 AM »

Well, SwingLow Sweet Chariot!  Look who's back - FINALLY! SwingDaw!  You were missed -- and our posting totals dipped dramatically!

The loss we suffered in his absence, IMO, was the loss of content.    

:-*
« Last Edit: August 13, 2007, 10:05:40 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #116 on: August 13, 2007, 10:03:20 AM »

DR Jeanne - Have you heard Cesaria Evora's first album?  Wonderful music from the Antilles.  -Although, "The Very Best Of...." compilation is a great collection too.

And a bit a closer to home, I LOVE Linda Ronstadt's "Frenesi" album.

No, JOSE, I haven't heard either one, but they're both on my list now!
Thanks for the recommendations.

This really is one of the things I love about HHW. So many knowledgable people! So many great recommendations. Like Der B and Singdaw have pointed out, we buy more, but we are likely buying CDs and DVDs that we'll really enjoy--the keepers.

singdaw

« Reply #117 on: August 13, 2007, 10:04:04 AM »

But that's just a small quibble, a very small quibble.

And, after all, what's a small quibble between friends?

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #118 on: August 13, 2007, 10:05:13 AM »

RE: Memorizing lines,

I can barely remember my own name, so I was never that good at memorizing lines. In fact when I played the doctor in BLITHE SPIRIT I started my scene with the first line and then skipped the entire scene, and everyone elses lines, and said my final line. Somehow the rest of the cast got through it, but I was certainly at a loss when the correct time came for me to actually say that final line of mine which I had already said earlier.

LOL. I never had any problems with my lines, but I do recall being nervous enough to flub them.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2007, 10:05:38 AM by Jeanne »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #119 on: August 13, 2007, 10:05:20 AM »

Is Charles Strouse's "Blame It On the Summer Night" [ from Rags ] in a bossa nova mode?  I can't remember how the song goes at the moment...

"Blame It On The Summer Night" is not in bossa nova mode - it goes between a semi-bluesy and mid-tempo ballad mode.  -Although, I guess that would have added a neat twist to that story line.  I guess that boat must have sailed a bit further south than originally planned.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11   Go Up