Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: NOTES ON THE HALF SHELL  (Read 31095 times)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
Re:NOTES ON THE HALF SHELL
« Reply #90 on: September 01, 2007, 05:49:41 AM »

Good morning, all! I spent the evening watching something not on my list yesterday: John Schlesinger's THE DAY OF THE LOCUST, which actually ties in to the DVD of MY SISTER EILEEN I had received earlier courtesy of DR Matt H. Eileen McKenney was married to Nathanael West, author of the novels MISS LONELYHEARTS and THE DAY OF THE LOCUST; they died together in 1940 in an autmobile accident.  It's a long film, but the cast was wonderful (DR MBarnum would like Pepe Serna's contribution), and it seemed quite faithful to my memories of the novel. I enjoyed it. The score is credited to John Barry but I couldn't say how much of it he actually wrote beyond the clownish music for Burgess Meredith and the nightmarish holocaust at the end: my memory of the film's music now now is only the popular songs of the mid-1930s.

Speaking of 1930s Hollywood, I will be obtaining soon a copy of the 1930 screenplay by Anne Caldwell for BABES IN TOYLAND, and I will be curious to see how closely it follows the original plot since neither the Hal Roach nor Disney films do.  I have another morning trek to Toyland, as well as a bit of Brain Surgery today.

Camp films? The first thing I think of is THE ATTACK OF THE 50-FOOT WOMAN.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #91 on: September 01, 2007, 06:02:15 AM »

When I think of camp, I think of The Lair of the Golden Bear.

This was a camp organized for the allumni of the Univeristy of California, Berkely, and my father is one of the allumni.  Every year, when I was young, we would head off for a two-week vacation, the first week being spent at said Lair.

The cabins were half-cabins, comprising of wood floors and half-walls, the upper halves and roof being made of canvas.  There was a pool, and a nightly campfire, and entertainment.  The staff at the camp was comprised of current students at UCB, and they made sure that the families attending were well taken care of, particularly taking care of the kids so that the parents could have some fun on their own.

This is what you mean by camp, right?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #92 on: September 01, 2007, 06:03:13 AM »

Freddy needs a sub-dural GPS chip, or something.  But it's good he's back again.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #93 on: September 01, 2007, 06:10:16 AM »

Only a couple of people are rehearsing Monday but for most it's a day off - it's pretty much just our leading man and woman, etc.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #94 on: September 01, 2007, 06:10:32 AM »

Joe Allen doesn't even attempt ranch dressing.

td

• td
« Reply #95 on: September 01, 2007, 06:15:14 AM »

Frank, I was using that line in 1975!  And it was a chestnut then.  

When you were a mere babe of ten?!?!?!?
You started the camp camp at a young age, I take it.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

singdaw

« Reply #96 on: September 01, 2007, 06:19:53 AM »

I got lost in YouTube for a few hours...

One click leads to another click leads to another click...

A lot of great theatre stuff out there.

FJL

« Reply #97 on: September 01, 2007, 06:20:38 AM »

HOFFA SIXPENCE - my new (old) mob musical about theft featuring Tommy Steal

td

• td
« Reply #98 on: September 01, 2007, 06:22:39 AM »

Well, Zach has been patient with me up until now, but I think he thinks it's time we found a patch of grass outside.

Have a great day, Amy!   :)

Mr Efron?

singdaw

« Reply #99 on: September 01, 2007, 06:26:37 AM »

Mr. td, you are just too droll for words.     :P

;D

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #100 on: September 01, 2007, 06:28:44 AM »

I just had a thought.
For some stange reason I was thinking of J. D.SALINGER'S novel  THE CATCHER IN THE RYE. It was published in 1951. The leading Character was HOLDEN CAULFIELD.
Is it possible that Mr. Salinger got this name from a movie marquee. ?

In 1947 Paramount(I believe) released a movie called DEAR RUTH. It starred William HOLDEN and Joan CAULFIELD.

Just conjecture on my part

td

• td
« Reply #101 on: September 01, 2007, 06:29:17 AM »

DR elmore - I concur with you on THE DAY OF THE LOCUST!  One of my favorite down films since I saw it in its initial release.  Pepe Serna is indeed someone MBarnum should check into.
I think the film captures the essence of the book quite vividly; Donald Sutherland's Homer Simpson is indeed a chilling portrayal, and I've often wondered if Matt Groening was a fan of West's novel.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #102 on: September 01, 2007, 06:49:21 AM »

Inspired by comments from François, I watched a bit of HALF A SIXPENCE when I got home.

My, that Grover Dale is a dream to watch. What a dancer!

I agree completely. I love Grover Dale! I wish we had more opportunities to see him.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #103 on: September 01, 2007, 06:52:42 AM »

Good morning!

A bit cooler today (85) and it's a bit overcast, so we may have some rain which we need. In the entire month of August (which featured several days above 100), we had .41 inches of rain.

Matt H.

« Reply #104 on: September 01, 2007, 06:53:51 AM »

Count me as another fan of the film of DAY OF THE LOCUST. I was delighted that it finally got a DVD release and enjoyed seeing it again after so many years away from it.

Matt H.

« Reply #105 on: September 01, 2007, 06:55:20 AM »

The STRANGER THAN PARADISE DVD set from Criterion is two discs, so that's going to take me a goodly amount of time to get through. Jarmusch's first feature film is also included in the set along with a bunch of interviews.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #106 on: September 01, 2007, 07:04:16 AM »

My favorite camp: Crawdad Camp, where they remove the crawdads (a non-native invasive species here) to let the native fish thrive. The crawdads are then recycled into dinner for the campers.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #107 on: September 01, 2007, 07:15:27 AM »

I shall now be on my way to rehearsal, then the used CD store, then back here, then to Thai food.

Matt H.

« Reply #108 on: September 01, 2007, 07:25:52 AM »

Favorite campy movie (not made as camp originally) TORCH SONG with Joan Crawford.

Others (many starring Miss Crawford):

FEMALE ON THE BEACH
THIS WOMAN IS DANGEROUS
JOHNNY GUITAR
MYRA BRECKINRIDGE
VALLEY OF THE DOLLS
MOMMIE DEAREST

Matt H.

« Reply #109 on: September 01, 2007, 07:26:45 AM »

Oh, don't forget about THE OSCAR. Wonderful camp!

Cillaliz

« Reply #110 on: September 01, 2007, 07:27:52 AM »

Next week at this time the movers will be arriving!

And I had another bout with Comcast yesterday---I called to ask them how much it would cost in deposits to have no interrupted service. I got a recorded message that I had an appointment for yesterday, one which I didn't make! (They have done this before, scheduled service calls when I've called about other matters, and then left notes that I've missed my appointment!)

I finally got a live person, who said "Oh yes, you made an appointment to have your service discontinued this morning."

Wha????

It turned out that the new tentant had discontinued her service at her old house yesterday and they were confused and thought they were turning it off at my house!

Bur also, true to form, the appointment to do this was from 11-2 and I was calling at 6 and they were able to fix it because they never showed up for their appointment.

So they acted like they were doing me a big favor for me to have cable another week when they didn't even do anything. I raised hell, something I rarely do, and now they are going to discontinue service at the old house on the 10th and start it at the new house on the 8th. Which is what I asked for in the first place, several days ago, but they swore they couldn't do without it costing me hundreds of dollars in deposits. Oy!

I'm glad I finally got someone who actually seemed to have a brain! I hope...

I have found that the screw ups of others have saved me lots of money in deposits and transfer fees after it's pointed out that it's their screw up.  Be happy about it, it would have been a lot more expensive if they had done things right  ;)

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #111 on: September 01, 2007, 07:53:32 AM »

You can always get all holy roller on them, and demand that if they can accept a savior with nail holes they should surely accept a bathroom storage tower with a few.

Irreverent enough for ya?   ;D

Love it! Although, if they're from India, I'm not sure if it would make much of an impression...
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #112 on: September 01, 2007, 07:56:47 AM »

OK...time to disassemble and return a cabinet...hopefully...and work on the new house. I may even get my office furniture moved in---that will be exciting to have one room furnished!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #113 on: September 01, 2007, 07:57:01 AM »

And rehydration vibes to Freddy!

MBarnum

« Reply #114 on: September 01, 2007, 07:59:46 AM »

TOD:

BEYOND THE VALLEY OF THE DOLLS
QUEEN OF OUTER SPACE

MBarnum

« Reply #115 on: September 01, 2007, 08:06:00 AM »

DC Freddy bounced back very quickly to his old self. I could never make him an indoor only cat. He enjoys being outside so much. He is such a mixer and all his cat, dog, and people buddies are outside and he likes to make his social rounds each day to visit Judy and her dog Jack and Gladys and the new couple a few houses down. Plus a new cat friend has been showing up to visit Fred (and Bosco) every morning in the back yard.

It was so wonderful to wake up this morning and play "rub the belly of the beast" with Dog Bosco and Fred.

MBarnum

« Reply #116 on: September 01, 2007, 08:06:50 AM »

Again a huge thanks and appreciation for everyone's concern and vibes. It really helped me!!

Michael

« Reply #117 on: September 01, 2007, 08:12:19 AM »

Just preordered BK's new book.
Looking forward to reading it.
Never stop dreaming.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #118 on: September 01, 2007, 08:39:18 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up... And one of my roommates is in the midst of packing up and getting ready to head back home to Redding, PA, for a few days before she heads to China... :(

*Of course, I would have a different emoticon if that other roommate was packing up today.  -Alas, she's not even here today - and she sort of avoided all of this past week, so... Needless to say, it's been kind of quiet at night lately.  8)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #119 on: September 01, 2007, 08:41:55 AM »

Well, even though she's left the building...

DR edisaurus - IKEA will take back furniture that's already been assembled.  Their 100% money-back guarantee is indeed that (at least in my experience).  I think the either put the used furniture on the floor as display item or they put it up for sale at a reduced priced in the "As Is" room.  *I like the "As Is" room since most of what is in their is discontinued items along with the old floor models and scratch-and-dents.
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11   Go Up