Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: THIS DEEP DAY  (Read 23655 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THIS DEEP DAY
« on: January 19, 2004, 12:08:16 AM »

Well, you've read the notes (newbies take note - it is best to read the notes before posting) - you know whereof I speak, you know it all, you've got it all, so let's have loads of lovely posts, shall we?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2004, 12:05:00 AM by bk »

Jed

Re:THIS DEEP DAY
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2004, 12:12:34 AM »

Hmm... I shall have to do some thinking on the topic d'jour.  I know I've seen a number of MGM musicals, but am not sure what was MGM and what wasn't (most were, I'm presuming).

Currently, I'm quite enjoying watching Light in the Piazza.  I just keep waiting for them to break into song, having only seen the Guettel musical version before.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2004, 12:32:16 AM »

Tivo is recording Light in the Piazza - I did catch the start of it - looked like a very old transfer, albeit in letterbox.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2004, 12:33:13 AM »

Just five favourite M-G-M Musicals.  Tough, but here goes:

1) SINGING IN THE RAIN  (Does this really need an explanation?  Simply the greatest musical EVER made!)

2) THE PIRATE...Gene Kelly as a singing, dancing John Barrymore. It's also very funny and Judy was also in top form.

3) BABES IN ARMS...Just a great Rodgers & Hart score.  Mickey and Judy in their prime.  And the "Babes In Arms" march through the neighbourhood, culminating with the big bond fire is thrilling.

4) SEVEN BRIDES FOR SEVEN BROTHERS...not the strongest score perhaps, but it serves the dancing which is spectacular.  What athletic, masculine, thrilling choreography.

5) GOODBYE, MR. CHIPS...Yes, the score except for a few numbers is rather weak and O' Toole can't really sing for squat, but he acts brilliantly, so who the Hell really cares?  It's far from perfect as musicals go, but still perfect in so many ways.  I adore this movie!

Worse musical?  Don't have time to research this, so in lieu of coming up with something really inventive, let's just say Elvis Presley's KISSING COUSINS, was scraping the bottom of the barrel for both Elvis and movie musicals in general.

This last is taken back, of course, if M-G-M was the studio that released LOST HORIZON.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2004, 12:35:39 AM by Charles Pogue »

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2004, 12:39:10 AM »

Wow! I can answer this one!
Seven Brides for Seven Brothers
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Laura II

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2004, 12:39:40 AM »

Today's topic requires thought. Hmm. It is too late/early (depending on how you look at it) for me to think. I shall think about it later.
"I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me."

Jed

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2004, 12:40:12 AM »

Oh my goodness!  DR Laura has seen a movie!!! :D

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2004, 12:40:19 AM »

Excellent choices, even Laura I.  We've got two Lauras, a Jed and a Pogue.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2004, 12:41:03 AM »

"I'll think about it later"  You sound like Scarlett O'Hara, Laura II.

Jed

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2004, 12:43:46 AM »

Tivo is recording Light in the Piazza - I did catch the start of it - looked like a very old transfer, albeit in letterbox.

I don't know much about transfers, and am not too picky about them.  To my eyes, it looks like I expect a 1962 film to look on television, but it could well be lacking visually and I just don't realize it.  I am very pleased it's in letterbox, though.

Michael

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2004, 04:41:50 AM »

Just Can't do 5

(In Reverse Chronological Order)
Victor/Victoria (80's)
The Boyfriend (70's)
Bells Are Ringing (60's)
7 Brides For 7 Brothers ( tie 50's)
Singing in the Rain (tie 50's)
The Pirate (tie 40's)
Meet Me In St. Louis (tie 40's)
The Wizard of Oz (30's)

My least  favorites would have to be Elvis Presley Movies. But Overall I don't seem to enjoy the ones that were NOT made by the Freed Unit.

Annie Get Your Gun
Gigi
Kiss Me Kate
The Bandwagon (Plot now creaks but the musical numbers are #1)
Easter Parade
The Harvey Girls
« Last Edit: January 19, 2004, 04:43:28 AM by Michael Shayne »
Never stop dreaming.

Jennifer

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2004, 05:58:21 AM »

Hey good morning everyone.  Thanks S. Woody for your comments last night.  Sorry I was too sleepy for chat (I just assumed it was at 10pm since that is what was said a day or two before).

Hope everyone has a good day!

Kerry

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2004, 06:25:40 AM »

Singin' In the Rain

Gigi

Easter Parade

The Bandwagon

Can I choose "That's Entertainment (I)" so I don't have to choose between others?

I'm still in shock that Laura has seen a movie!!!!!! :P
I like boat races.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2004, 06:30:24 AM »

What a wonderful PJ Party/chat last night!   ;D  

Yes we must do it again some other night before a holiday that is a holiday for everyone!

Hmmmmmmm....early and my choices are taken....so I will just vote again for:

Singin' In the Rain - terrific performers at the peaks of their careers....Jean Hagen, Donald O'Conner, Debbie Reynolds, Gene Kelly (even though he is not a favorite of mine) - and such a funny story.  "Good Mornin'" is one of my favorite movie dances, AND the new transfer on DVD makes the colors so bright!

7 Bride for 7 Brothers - Such wonderful dancing....and a very touching scene with Jeff Richards and Jane Powell when he explains to her why the brothers need to leave the farm....and "Sobbin' Women" and the challenge dance!

The Wizard of Oz - Judy Garland and all the resources of MGM come together to make a memory for everyone who sees it.

For Me and My Gal - Kelly again...but Garland was so pretty in this movie and they sang all those great songs!

Meet Me in Las Vegas - because I do love Dan Dailey!

Goodbye Mr Chips - performances and some of the songs (Eros stands in Picadilly Circus!) - and a VERY moving finales.  I would never have thought this story needed songs, until I saw how it was done!

I don't like "An American in Paris" it seems to be a riff on the superior "The Red Shoes" and "Gigi" is just too over-designed.

DRCHARLES POGUE - Columbia released the musical "Lost Horizon" so you are safe there.

And although she didn't appear in a favorite MGM musical of mine, I have to mention Miss Eleanor Powell.....who could dance, dance, dance and come up smiling even after a series of triple turns!  Ann Miller was a technician, but Eleanor was a joyful dancer, I think.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Kerry

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2004, 06:34:34 AM »

There were  a  lot of MGM musicals that didn't work that should have worked (and I don't mean the Elvis ones).
I mean the ones like "Yolanda and the Thief," "The Belle of New York."  It was if MGM had so much talent they didn't know what to do with it anymore.  I love moments in "Summer Stock," but much of it is quite bad.  I think MGM took itself too seriously and tried to coast on its reputation.  Of course this is just an opinion.  But it makes me angry when I see Fred Astaire, Judy Garland and all the great character actors at MGM go to waste.  "Summer Holiday" was another one that didn't work.  Ah well, I will quit my opining and have go have breakfast.
I like boat races.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2004, 07:53:17 AM »

Oh, MGM musicals and I have a long-lasting love relationship. While not every one of them is brilliant and some are just a waste of time, they all have that look, that sheen of classiness that just sets them apart. It seems fashionable today in some circles to denegrate MGM musicals as stuffy, aloof, and "superior in their own minds" type of criticism. To my eyes, they were the best. A few other studios occasionally turned out one of comparable merit (COVER GIRL AT Columbia, CALAMITY JANE at Warners, BLUE SKIES at Paramount), but MGM in its GOlden Period just had the knack of doing them better.

My choices for the best in order of year of release:

THE WIZARD OF OZ - the perfect fantasy film. Score of unparalleled invention and performances never to be matched.

MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS - a gorgeous candy box of a musical showing a year in the life of an idealized family. Memorable in every respect.

EASTER PARADE - the two greatest musical performers singing and dancing to the songs of one of America's greatest composers.

ON THE TOWN - I love the energy and humor of the piece, and even with the new Roger Edens songs added in, it works beautifully. Yep, I miss most of Bernstein's Broadway score, but I'm not sure this cast could have done them justice. Better to give them material they could handle.

IT'S ALWAYS FAIR WEATHER - the most neglected of the great MGM musicals with a scathing, satirical look at lots of different aspects of life in the 1950s and a wonderful, overlooked score by Andre Previn, COmden and Green.

Bubbling under the surface of the top five:

SEVEN BRIDES FOR SEVEN BROTHERS
THE PIRATE
BABES ON BROADWAY
I LOVE MELVIN
SINGIN' IN THE RAIN
TWO WEEKS WITH LOVE
BRIGADOON

Worst MGM musical to me is WORDS AND MUSIC since it falsifies the real (and interesting) life stories of Rodgers and Hart. True, lots of show biz bios in the 1940s and 1950s did that, but I resent this one the most.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2004, 08:43:50 AM »

Good morning. I'm about to go for my morning walk, but had to chime in on the topic of the day. I have a weakness for musicals - even bad ones. Absolutely no taste or discrimination. They just make me smile. Especially the ones from the 40's and early 50's. When I was a weird, lonely kid who felt like I was living on the moon, those musicals on TV connected me to a world I wanted to live in - and did, in my imagination. All my faves have been mentioned, I think. But one that suddenly popped into my head, which I haven't seen in years and is actually I believe a Fox musical - so why the hell am I bring it up? - is THE DOLLY SISTERS. I love all those musicals which featured Cudddles Szakall and a supporting cast of character actors to die for (and I had a crush on John Payne when I was a kid)... Those were the days...

Donald

• So dramatic!
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2004, 08:47:20 AM »

Hello All!

The new Broadway Radio Show is up and running and just sitting there awaiting your ears.  This week, we pay tribute the late Martin Luther King, Jr. on what would have been his 75th Birthday.

Enjoy

Donald
DONALD FELTHAM
Host of the Broadway Radio Show

MBarnum

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2004, 08:52:17 AM »

Favorite MGM musicals:

BABES IN TOYLAND: An odd choice I know, but Felix Knight's singing just gives me goose bumps.

WIZARD OF OZ: Just a classic in every sense...beautiful, beautiful, beautiful.

SUMMER STOCK: I watched this film quite often as a small child; the song GET HAPPY is one of my favorites.

IT'S ALWAYS FAIR WEATHER: Another film from my childhood. Gene Kelly makes me swoon!

SINGING IN THE RAIN: A lovely, fun movie with some great performances and songs.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2004, 08:58:31 AM »

No one yet has chosen a Jeanette MacDonald/Nelson Eddy film as one of their favorites. If my father could have contributed to this thread, his #1 MGM choice would have been NAUGHTY MARIETTA which for him was always his favorite movie, musical or any other genre.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2004, 09:24:21 AM »

Interesting - my list almost duplicates Matt H's: Singin' in the Rain, Wizard of Oz, Always Fair Weather, and Easter Parade are top choices. Others: Lili (but not Gigi). Silk Stockings (but not High Society). Brigadoon? The fake sets and Van Johnson ruin it for me. Finally, Tommy Rall's incredible dancing - Seven Brides and Kiss Me Kate - make me wish he had appeared in more movies.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2004, 09:28:30 AM »

High Society has that marvelous dialogue, and Gigi's very well-written all around.  I love The Wizard of Oz for Yip Harburg's whimsy, and will complete my list with two other Judy Garland films: Meet Me In St. Louis and Easter Parade.

I love musicals so much, I can honestly say I never saw one that I could find no merit in until Moulin Rouge.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2004, 09:29:37 AM »

Tommy Rall is amazing, and also brilliant in Kiss Me Kate.  I'm glad someone listed The Boy Friend, as it is a major guilty pleasure, and Bells Are Ringing, which I'm fond of because of Miss Holliday (it's very stodgily directed by Mr. Minnelli).  Otherwise, all my faves have been spoken for.  I'd add the little B-movie, Give a Girl a Break, because there are some very good musical numbers in it.

Danise

« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2004, 09:33:44 AM »

Good morning/afternoon all!

I'm so sorry I didn't make it to the PJ party last night.  I wanted to be but I was soooo tired.  I hope all had a good time.  

I went to the doctor this morning and found I have to go back again this afternoon and 4 weeks from now.  Sigh.    Round 2.  

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jennifer

« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2004, 09:47:44 AM »

DR Danise: Good vibes for your doctor's visits.

Oh and I wanted to say to DR Jay: You are a classy god thanking everyone who sent you good wishes individually.

Hi Swishy!

td

• td
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2004, 09:56:21 AM »

Well, I'll merely chime in, trying not to repeat the obvious choices until later, but of those not yet mentioned, my third tier would include:
JUPITER'S DARLING - keel, williams and elephants
BILLY ROSE'S JUMBO - "what elephant?"  doris day, stephen boyd, the great durante, martha raye, rodgers & hart. . .and the circus!
LOVE ME OR LEAVE ME - doris day dances up a storm, and acts every bit as well as Oscar-nominated Cagney; plus cameron mitchell is really, really cute in this one.
YOLANDA AND THE THIEF - astaire in a fable with the wizard of oz himself!  "Coffee Time" is still my favorite Astaire turn.
ZIEGFELD FOLLIES - I just really like it for whatever reason; maybe it's Lucy with the whip, or maybe it's "limhouse blues."

TOP FIVE:
SINGIN' IN THE RAIN
THE BANDWAGON
THE BOYFRIEND
SEVEN BRIDES FOR SEVEN BROTHERS
MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS

I know, I know,  we're supposed to limit it to five, but, second tier wise, and gosh, i hate to have to see the top one NOT place in the top five:
THE WIZARD OF OZ
THE PIRATE
SILK STOCKINGS
IT'S ALWAYS FAIR WEATHER
THE UNSINKABLE MOLLY BROWN
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Jennifer

« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2004, 10:04:01 AM »

Fresh song for 'Fiddler'

Composer, lyricist reunite after 34 years for new revival:

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/theater/story/155363p-136562c.html

I'm curious, which other revivals have new songs written for them?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2004, 10:22:59 AM »

Good morning!

It's a beautiful day here in Richmond.   Yes, it's on the cold side, but the sky is a very, clear, bright beautiful blue.  -And the sunshine coming through my window is helping me to wake up too! ;)

New York was amazing!  -Cold, but amazing!  Steve and I had a wonderful time, and the cold kind of helped in a sense.  Usually when I go up, I tend to free form it all.  This time was kind of free-formed too, but with the cold temps,  I made sure to map the routes out (walking and subway), and we more or less stayed below 57th Street (Steinway Hall).  *We'll have to save the Museum of New York for a later trip.  We also "lost" a few hours each morning since we didn't want to venture out each day until the temps creeped up out of the single digits.  But that also gave us more time to rest from the day before, so we never felt stressed out as can happen during a New York City "vacation".

Each of the shows we saw were very good.  URINETOWN had an incredible energy and sense of fun to it.  AVENUE Q was a wonderful surprise; kudos to all involved.  WICKED was a great spectacle, in the good sense, and it was great to see Idina Menzel's vocal prowess put in the spotlight.  CAROLINE, OR CHANGE impressed me on many levels, many different levels.  -And I know that Tonya Pinkins has been receiving most of the praise for her performance (and deservedly so), but the supporting cast - especially the younger performers - really shine too - and they handle some of the more trickier moments in the score with ease.  And, finally, HAIRSPRAY was a downright right Hootenanny!  The newer members of the cast fit right in and added their own personal touches, while some of the "veterans" continue their amazing work.  And Harvey Feirstein manages to not only remain true to the character of Mrs. Turnblad, but also works his own unique talents - and his surprisingly flexible voice - into his portrayal.  Fun, Fun, Fun!  *And while we were waiting backstage for Barbara Walsh, the stage hands let us - and some others - take some pics on the set.  -And, yes, I will post them once I get them back on disc from Steve.

So... I'm taking most of today to continue unpack, and get back up to speed on things.  And I think I'm even gonna attempt to read all the posts from the past couple of days... So, I guess, I'll be caught up by the end of this week! ;)

As for MGM Musicals:
SINGIN' IN THE RAIN
7 BRIDES FOR 7 BROTHERS
THE WIZARD OF OZ
MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS
GOODBYE, MR CHIPS - Which I always seem to catch on late night TV - ??? - I don't think I've ever seen it in the daylight. ;)

-Boy, that list sounds familiar...

Time to dive in! 5... 4... 3... 2... 1.....
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2004, 10:29:38 AM »

OH!!!  And the panna cotta at Becco... simply exquisite!!!  -As was the Chocolate Zabaglione Cake, and the Cinnamon Gelato, the Ricotta Cheesecake, the Italian Bread Pudding... We had the dessert sampler... Sooooo good - and a surprisingly good deal.

*And Steve just wanted our waiter at Becco to keep talking into his ear all night. ;)

More NYC food posts to follow :p
Make Your Own Luck.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2004, 10:36:08 AM »

Oh and I wanted to say to DR Jay: You are a classy god thanking everyone who sent you good wishes individually.

Thank you again, Dear Reader Jennifer.  I guess my Mama taught me well, to say "please" and "thank you."
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up