Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE GALLEY SLAVE  (Read 20884 times)

Ron Pulliam

Re:THE GALLEY SLAVE
« Reply #120 on: January 20, 2004, 02:15:21 PM »

MY lips are sealed!

I can picture that...

And your hands...they're bound behind you....and you have shackles on your legs....

And what's that hanging from the ceiling...and what's up with those mirrors?????

What is all this?

« Last Edit: January 20, 2004, 02:16:37 PM by Ron Pulliam »

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
    • Our Wedding:  The Musical
« Reply #121 on: January 20, 2004, 02:19:00 PM »

Jane, the rule has to do with possessives.  (I often spell that wrong, so please someone correct me if I've done it again.)  The Beatles have many records (not record's).  One of The Beatles' songs is Sargent Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.  If you say Beatle's, you are referring to something that belongs to The Beatle.    
Farmer, pointing the way with radish.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #122 on: January 20, 2004, 02:19:47 PM »

Say hi to PennyO for me, Jane. I enjoyed meeting her (briefly) at bk's partay.
I'm trying not to buy too many books -- got rid of hundreds before I moved. But I just bought "Down and Dirty Pictures: Miramax, Sundance, and the Rise of Independent Film" -- couldn't resist. (I wasn't going to put in the subtitle, but changed my mind. Don't want to spoil my squeaky clean image with some of our younger HHW-ers.)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2004, 02:21:31 PM by Panni »

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #123 on: January 20, 2004, 02:21:57 PM »

Panni moves are great for reducing our belongings.  We are on the verge of breaking a record,5½ years in one house, next month.  Either we need to move again or I need to do some serious sorting out of unnecessary items.  My problem is I’m very sentimental and like to save everything.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #124 on: January 20, 2004, 02:33:31 PM »

Thank you, Dear Readers Matt H. and Jennifer.  Gosh, you guys are swell!

Limo:  yes
Police car:  no
Firetruck:  no
Ambulance:  thankfully, no

Enjoy the book, DR Panni.  The reviews I've read indicate that juice should be dripping from the binding.  
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
    • Our Wedding:  The Musical
« Reply #125 on: January 20, 2004, 02:34:03 PM »

Yes, I was just discussing this problem with someone at work.  My DH Noel has a difficult time throwing anything out.  It has become easier for him in the last few years, he is definitely making progress, but some people just find it very hard to let go of things.  As for me, I have moved around so much in my life that I don't really develop serious attachments to objects.  Except for my sex toys.  Oops, did I say that?
Farmer, pointing the way with radish.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #126 on: January 20, 2004, 02:34:33 PM »

My WICKED cd came today!

And oh my - I know they are considering a remake, but can the performances of Andy Griffith, Patricia Neal, Walter Matthau, and Lee Remick in A FACE IN THE CROWD really be improved upon?

"Jump....get out of my life....get out of everyone's life....jump...jump...jump!"

Oh, DRPANNI - I was asking about this book the other day and no one said anything....I am breathless waiting for your opinion.  :P
« Last Edit: January 20, 2004, 02:35:59 PM by JRand53 »
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #127 on: January 20, 2004, 02:37:38 PM »

It takes me awhile to usually determine that I won't be needing certain things any more, and then I'm OK with throwing them out. I had no trouble ridding my office of dozens and dozens of textbooks from my years of teaching and serving on textbook evaulation committees. So, I'm a modified pack rat, I guess.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #128 on: January 20, 2004, 02:39:55 PM »

DR JRand wrote:

"And oh my - I know they are considering a remake, but can the performances of Andy Griffith, Patricia Neal, Walter Matthau, and Lee Remick in A FACE IN THE CROWD really be improved upon?"

No, it can't, and it shouldn't be tried. I was reading in something, ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY I believe, where one of their film critics was salivating over the thought of the new MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE. I, on the other hand, have an upset stomach thinking about it, even though I adore Meryl Streep.

VinTek

• Si hoc legere scis numium eruditionis habes
« Reply #129 on: January 20, 2004, 02:40:12 PM »

I'm afraid I'm one of those lurkers who hasn't posted since the new format came into being (never did take to having to page repeatedly).  As for the DVD I'd like to see, I think I'd really like to see "The Maltese Bippy" (having had a crush on Carol Lynley in my adolescence).
Transported to a surreal landscape, a young girl kills the first person she meets, then teams up with 3 complete strangers to kill again
- Marin County newspaper listing for The Wizard of Oz

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #130 on: January 20, 2004, 02:40:57 PM »

Jane, my uncle lives in Southern Maryland. It's just strange to me, becuase he hasn't ALWAYS lived there, he's lived in Canada, Rochester, Miami, Philly. I'm not completely sure I believe he's never seen one, but he definetly hasn't BEEN in one. He's one of those uncles that makes stuff up to look cool in front of the little kids. This is also the uncle that adopted Anastasia, from Kazakhstan.

DR Joy: I was thinking the same way Jane was. He must have been completely smitten if he didn't remember the limo ride :).
...Walk in the sunshine...

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #131 on: January 20, 2004, 02:50:24 PM »

Same here MATTH!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Tomovoz

« Reply #132 on: January 20, 2004, 02:53:35 PM »

Welcome back VinTek
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #133 on: January 20, 2004, 02:54:06 PM »

How sad is it that I haven't even hit 200 posts yet, and I've been here since day one?

Matt H.

« Reply #134 on: January 20, 2004, 02:54:22 PM »

Welcome to the new forum, DR VinTek.

Matt H.

« Reply #135 on: January 20, 2004, 02:57:51 PM »

To be watched tonight instead of The State of the Union: THE SIMPSONS - Season 3.

MBarnum

« Reply #136 on: January 20, 2004, 03:06:05 PM »

Welcome back to the board VinTek! And welcome aboard Dave from the Valley!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #137 on: January 20, 2004, 03:06:48 PM »

Dave from the Valley: Sorcerer IS out on DVD - I've had it for several years - try amazon.

Three more chapters to go - still finding the little style and format things, but thankfully nothing major at all.

Matt H.

« Reply #138 on: January 20, 2004, 03:13:01 PM »

BK, I think he wanted SORCERER in a widescreen anamorphic format rather than the fullscreen that is presently available. Or have they updated it?

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #139 on: January 20, 2004, 03:19:48 PM »

Say hi to PennyO for me, Jane. I enjoyed meeting her (briefly) at bk's partay.

Hi, Panni!  I'm here with Jane and Keith and their little menagerie ... about to climb back into the car and head down your way. My parents tell me the weather is relentlessly lovely... oh, well... dirty job, but someone gotta do it... see ya soon.
PennyO

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #140 on: January 20, 2004, 03:20:47 PM »

Oh, and I see I'm no longer in Dutch! Thanks, Uncle Keith.
PennyO

Emily

« Reply #141 on: January 20, 2004, 03:22:38 PM »

To be watched tonight instead of The State of the Union: THE SIMPSONS - Season 3.

Good choice Matt.  Heck even I am not going to be watching the SOTU after last year's sleeper.  And I watch pretty much anything political CNN throws out a new banner for ;)

Plus I wasted a TON of time last night watching the surprisingly interesting Iowa Caucuses.

Andrea's CYGOPP (who actually is American and has a vested interest in this whole kittenkaboodle) is going down to New Hampshire this weekend to volunteer for Dean.

Sometimes it would be nice to be American and get a chance to participate in a system that matters.  
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Emily

« Reply #142 on: January 20, 2004, 03:24:35 PM »

btw... for swishy's question:

limo = yes
police car = no
fire engine = I have stood on one but it was not actually moving and so does not count as an official "ride"
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #143 on: January 20, 2004, 03:32:58 PM »

Still full screen, apparently at Mr. Friedkin's request - although he'd probably feel different now.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #144 on: January 20, 2004, 03:52:54 PM »

Ah, finally a restful moment. Baby was in a really bratty mood this afternoon, screaming bloody murder if I attempted to put him down for even a second.  Five year old was actually pretty good for him.  Their father had brought home a new reptile and he was playing with it when I picked him up.  I took one look at it and recognized it as a rough skinned newt (I used to work for the Forest Service in the bio department) a calm little creature, but rather posionous if provoked.  So he's in a plastic container waiting for release into the wild.  \
Now baby is finally asleep on the couch.  Exhaustion finally won out.  Riley is happily eating macaroni and cheese and watching PBS kids, kitchen is all cleaned up and dishes put away, toy room is cleaned, and I finally have a moment to sit and catch up on lovely posts.
Wow...this sure was a rambling post...

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #145 on: January 20, 2004, 03:54:23 PM »

Oh yeah, never ridden in anything exciting..no limo, no fire truck, police car, or ambulance...not even a helicopter..

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #146 on: January 20, 2004, 04:33:21 PM »

BTW, Bruce, I completely forgot to mention that in the mall last night, I stopped in Suncoast to buy some DVD's. While I was at the checkout counter, I noticed some people in the "Musicals" section, looking down at a DVD and saying "This looks hilarious. We should buy it!"

It turned out to be TFNM.

I never thought I'd actually see a copy of that movie. While they were reading the cast on the back, and your name was said, I wanted to say "I know that man! I know him! I talked to him yesterday!", but I kept my cool. :). I am such a nerd sometimes.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #147 on: January 20, 2004, 04:38:14 PM »

How sad is it that I haven't even hit 200 posts yet, and I've been here since day one?

You were doing important things such as school work.

Robin

« Reply #148 on: January 20, 2004, 04:40:31 PM »

Limo.  No.
Helicopter. No.
Police Car.  Yes.  Remind me to tell you about the hard time I spend in the Big House.  The Joint.  The Gray Bar Hotel.
Ambulance.  Yes.
SUV.  No.
Greyhound Bus.  Actually more frightening than the Police Car.  Lotsa whacked-out fundamentalists go Greyhound, it seems.
Staten Island Ferry.  Yes.
Submarine.  Yes.
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #149 on: January 20, 2004, 04:44:08 PM »

Did they buy the DVD?  Still proofing merrily away with red eyes.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up