Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: THE VILE EPITHET  (Read 28780 times)

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
Re:THE VILE EPITHET
« Reply #60 on: January 23, 2004, 09:28:02 AM »

From Europe's Mars Express:

Extract from AOL News

DARMSTADT, Germany (Jan. 23) -- Europe's Mars orbiter has found the most direct evidence yet of water in the form of ice on the Red Planet's surface, the European Space Agency said Friday.

der Brucer (still waiting for pictures of Dejah Thoris)
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
    • Our Wedding:  The Musical
« Reply #61 on: January 23, 2004, 09:31:03 AM »

The aftermath of a rejection is indeed the most difficult thing I've had to cope with in all my years of doing theater. As someone who's received more than a fair amount of rejection, it's part of the process which you know going in.
That's true; but a foreknowledge of pain is very different than the actual experience.  Sometimes better, sometimes worse.

And I can tell myself from now until doomsday that if I gave the best audition I could, there should be no regrets if I wasn't chosen. Yes, I tell myself that, and my brain knows it's true, but the heart, ah, the heart doesn't have ears, and it aches and aches, especially if it's a show that you really really wanted to be a part of.

Still, somehow, the disappointment doesn't kill us and we move on to the next. When you have the itch to perform, the hope that it'll be scratched is stronger than the threat of someone swatting you with a broom instead.
That's why I think it's important to have a creative outlet for your performing itch.  Mine is currently dance class; some people use karaoke, piano bars, or, like I did a year and a half ago, produce their own show.  

I have a theory that it may have something to do with how life prepares you for this kind of rejection.  Maybe if you're more accustomed to it, it's easier for you to accept it.  Still not easy, ever, but easier.
Farmer, pointing the way with radish.

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
« Reply #62 on: January 23, 2004, 09:32:12 AM »

Joy: You're so sly. You probably do know what show it was for. And if you do, then you'll understand why I'm not allowed to talk about it. Perhaps I'll PM you and let you know.
I won't tempt you to break your vow of silence.  I'll be content to wait until Feb.   ;D

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #63 on: January 23, 2004, 09:36:04 AM »

Yes, DR MattH - "...and the diamonds in the hair......."

I wrote a review of "Queen Bee" at epinions.com and received an email from a gentleman who knew Lucy because his grandkids were in a show she directed at the school.  She is unaware of the internet....or at least didn't know what her IMDB listing was when it was printed out and given to her.  

I tried to keep a dialog going so that maybe I could get an interview - but nothing came of it....communication ceased.  Oh well....I will try again in a few months.  

I agree - she was so very good in QUEEN BEE - and I am sure she would have some good stories.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2004, 09:37:08 AM by JRand53 »
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #64 on: January 23, 2004, 09:36:34 AM »

Bob Keeshan passed away.....

I am sorry to say...I thought he already had.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #65 on: January 23, 2004, 09:40:31 AM »

Bob Keeshan passed away.....

I am sorry to say...I thought he already had.

Oh, gosh, not another legend. I am truly saddened by this. Another piece of my childhood lost. [sigh]
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #66 on: January 23, 2004, 09:44:04 AM »

In case you wondered:

(Extract from Straight Dope

Dear Cecil:

Why are some musical instruments made in different keys? If the tenor saxophone, a B-flat instrument, and the piano, a C instrument, both play the note C, they would in fact be producing different tones. The tenor saxophonist would have to transpose to D for the instruments to be sounding the same tone. Why don't they just build instruments so that a C (or any other note) is the same tone for all instruments? --Robert B., Glen Burnie, Maryland

Cecil Adams replies:

Before we get into this, Bob, let me explain to the befuddled masses what we're talking about here. First of all, the true C is the same tone on whatever instrument it is played, namely 263 cycles per second. However, a true C is not necessarily called C on all instruments. On a tenor saxophone, which is known as a "transposing" instrument, everything is shifted down a tone (well, actually a tone plus an octave, but let's not quibble). That is, if you play a "C," you actually get a B-flat; if you play a "G," you get an F, and so on.

The reasons for this have to do with the difficult nature of the sax. On instruments with a linear arrangement of notes, such as a piano, transposing keys is easy--you just shift your fingers up or down the keyboard. On instruments like the sax and the cornet, however, the notes are obtained by various combinations of valves scattered all over the instrument. Changing keys would mean having to completely rethink your fingering. To avoid this difficulty, saxophones are made in a number of different ranges, soprano, alto, tenor, and baritone being the most common. Essentially, instead of your doing the transposing, the instrument does it for you. Thus if you think a tenor (B-flat) sax is too low for a given tune, you can get an alto (E-flat) sax instead. Using the identical fingering, you'll find the melody comes out about a half-octave higher. For ease of nomenclature, when sax players talk about playing a "C," they are talking about a particular valve combination (which is the same for all saxes), not the actual tone that is produced.

Most saxes today are either E-flat or B-flat, but years ago there were also C and F instruments, the former being called a "melody saxophone." Although it enjoyed some popularity in the 20s and 30s, it is rarely seen today. When C saxophones were still used, it made sense to write all sax music as though C were the home key--after all, C is the easiest key to sight-read, due to the absence of sharps and flats in the signature. Also, when they first invented this system, it seemed pretty obvious that on a C sax a "C" came out C, on a B-flat sax "C" came out B-flat, and so on. Admittedly, now that C saxes are uncommon, it seems a little perverse to have to choose between a B-flat and an E-flat as the result of playing a "C," but having known a few sax players in my day, I must say it seems only appropriate.

--CECIL ADAMS

der Brucer (who will stick with the bongo drums)
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #67 on: January 23, 2004, 09:46:16 AM »

Your daughter is very pretty and personable.  Does she still perform?  At least she only had one instance where she wasn't fat enough, rather than being told her whole adult life, over and over again, that she was too fat.

Thank you  for the compliment. No, she "retired" when we moved to Colorado. She had done a series (Shari Lewis) and an Equity play, as well as several non-Equity productions, by the time she was 11. Said she wanted to be a regular kid - which was just fine with me.

As for being told your "too fat" - you're a strikingly pretty woman, Joy. Not everyone can have - or should have - a model's figure. We live in such a ridiculous age - when the "norm" as presented by the media is something that is almost totally unatainable in the real world. Next time someone says that to you, say to yourself "And you're too insensitive and stupid."

Ben

« Reply #68 on: January 23, 2004, 10:03:51 AM »

So sorry to hear about Bob Keeshan. As Matt H. said, another part of my childhood gone.

Rejection as a performer, one of the most difficult parts of the business. Joy and Jason have said some very intelligent things. I think if I ever got back into "the biz" I would be able to handle that part better. I've been out of it for 13 years now and with a different perspective on life in general, I think it would be a whole different experience.

My current creative outlet (other than my musings on this here board), which fell into my lap by chance, is writing 90 second reviews of Broadway musicals (boy is that difficult) which are then broadcast on BBC Radio Wales. It's great fun to hear my voice again and it's even more of a charge to know that I'm on a BBC Radio station.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #69 on: January 23, 2004, 10:15:05 AM »

A wise old sage (or maybe it was a wise old tarragon) once said that what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

As someone who is not in "the business," today's dialogue about auditions and rejection has provided me a fascinating glimpse at what it's really like for performers.  You all have my utmost respect.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
« Reply #70 on: January 23, 2004, 10:22:30 AM »

Thank you  for the compliment. No, she "retired" when we moved to Colorado. She had done a series (Shari Lewis) and an Equity play, as well as several non-Equity productions, by the time she was 11. Said she wanted to be a regular kid - which was just fine with me.

As for being told your "too fat" - you're a strikingly pretty woman, Joy. Not everyone can have - or should have - a model's figure. We live in such a ridiculous age - when the "norm" as presented by the media is something that is almost totally unatainable in the real world. Next time someone says that to you, say to yourself "And you're too insensitive and stupid."
Thanks!  To be honest, though (in my adult life, at least), it's mostly been me that says it.  Mostly.  I try to live a healthy lifestyle, to eat the right things, and to stay active.  It's a struggle for me because I've had to break through habits that were cemented in my adolescence and teen years, but I feel pretty good right now and, although I would like to shed a few pounds (and most people I know would, even if they don't need to by any rational standards), I am happy with the progress I've made and with the way I feel now, and, to be honest (as opposed to ?  ;) ), with the way I look -- most of the time.   ;D

DERBRUCER
I am THRILLED that you posted that article!  I played Tenor & Bari sax in high school and part of college and it always annoyed me a little bit that we transposing instruments (cornets, saxes, clarinets, English Horn, maybe?) had to do the math.  It really helped me with music theory, though, in that I had to learn to think about music in a different way.  Hard to explain how; maybe it has to do with linear v. circular thinking.  I beg to differ with Cecil, however, about Bari being the most popular of the saxes.  I think Alto and Tenor are much more prevalent, even though Lisa Simpson plays Bari.  The Soprano sax, if I recall correctly, is in C.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2004, 10:23:25 AM by Joy »

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #71 on: January 23, 2004, 10:24:18 AM »

AND, if I'm right, then I also know the person who is bigger than you.

Okay, okay, I admit it.  Nine out of ten consumers felt that I was the person that was bigger than Jason!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
« Reply #72 on: January 23, 2004, 10:25:19 AM »

My current creative outlet (other than my musings on this here board), which fell into my lap by chance, is writing 90 second reviews of Broadway musicals (boy is that difficult) which are then broadcast on BBC Radio Wales. It's great fun to hear my voice again and it's even more of a charge to know that I'm on a BBC Radio station.
As I was scrolling, my eyes somehow read "My current creative outlet" and "lap dance".   :o

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
« Reply #73 on: January 23, 2004, 10:27:49 AM »

By the way, I don't believe anyone answered Noel's question earlier about record players in the 1950's?  As his Dear Wife, I must hurl vile epithets until he is answered.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2004, 10:29:22 AM by Joy »

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #74 on: January 23, 2004, 10:31:52 AM »

Good morning everyone!
Today marks the third day that I made myself get up and head to the gym.  Go team me!
There's something about the sound of rain that just makes me want to stay cozied up in bed all day.  It was lovely to fall asleep to last night, but not as lovely to hear as I dragged myself out of bed.  
Media check - I have no idea.  I've been on an Mp3 kick lately, so no CD's...and no DVD's to speak of.  

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #75 on: January 23, 2004, 10:32:25 AM »

I'm a Merchant/Ivory fan.  They hit far more than they miss with me.

BEN...from what grocery are all these delightful British food products coming? Sainsbury?  Tesco?  Asda?  By the by, Julieanne and I have toted back from England more Fairy Soap for more gay friends over the years...Always appreciated.

CD...I too have been listening to MOONFLEET by Rozsa with its haunting main theme. As well as THE BLACK SWAN by Newman, and Max Steiner's scores for HELEN OF TROY and THE ADVENTURES OF DON JUAN.

Listen to WICKED finally.  I enjoyed it.  I'm vexed that they do not, however, have a story synopsis included in the booklet.

DVD...a filmed play with Laurence Olivier & Joan Plowright from the 1970's called DAPHNE LAUREOLA..

Jennifer

« Reply #76 on: January 23, 2004, 10:37:17 AM »

OMG, Der Bruce, when you said that the role Jason was too thin for was Edna I nearly split a gut. :)

It is very, very cold here :(

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #77 on: January 23, 2004, 10:42:27 AM »

I've just been reading the discussion of auditions and rejection, and want to thank all of you for so much candid feeling expressed. Just about the worst of it (auditions, rejection) is the feeling of being so alone with it. At one point I felt I would rather suck a tailpipe than face another audition. I left NY, mid-career, rather than continue the auditioning. Ah, if I knew then what I know now... Anyhow, this feeling of being in it together is balm fro the soul.
PennyO

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
« Reply #78 on: January 23, 2004, 10:43:10 AM »

We're seeing Wicked tomorrow night!  Yaaay!

Charles, I have a funny story about Menotti's The Black Swan:

So there I was, auditioning for the annual opera in college, singing The Black Swan.  I began the song, sang the first line, "The moon has fallen and it lies in blood," and then my mind went completely blank.  White paper, as the Greatest American Hero used to say.  But my training to "keep going, no matter what!!!" was SO ingrained in me that I kept going, improvising madly, and made up the entire rest of the song.  Every word.  Just made it right up.

I didn't get into the opera.

Later on my voice teacher, who had recorded it for me from the audience, played the tape as I sat there with my mouth hanging open in disbelief.  "Why didn't you just start over?" he said.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #79 on: January 23, 2004, 10:43:41 AM »

DVD PLAYER- Jean Renoir's brilliant THE RULES OF THE GAME.Criterion Collection release and just absolutely brilliant.Jean Renoir was a genius..just like Papa!

CD PLAYER- WICKED..it gets better at every listening.

Ben

« Reply #80 on: January 23, 2004, 10:43:47 AM »

Charles, they are from both Tesco and Sainsbury. We were in walking distance of both stores. They are open 24 hours and as big as U.S. suburban grocery stores. Quite an adventure for grocery store challenged Manhattanites.

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #81 on: January 23, 2004, 10:43:53 AM »

Or balm FOR the soul, if you prefer...
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #82 on: January 23, 2004, 10:45:58 AM »

Joy - are you a mezzo soprano, and do you live in NY, and how tall are you???
PennyO

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #83 on: January 23, 2004, 10:52:01 AM »

Ben, so what part of London were you staying in that you were near a 24-hr. Tesco & Sainsbury?   We're usually near the Covent Garden Tesco Metro, but it doesn't stay open 24 hrs (unless it's changed in the last year).  Occaisionally I'll frequent a Sainsbury on Victoria, but I don't think it's an all-nighter either.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #84 on: January 23, 2004, 10:53:03 AM »

Joy - are you a mezzo soprano, and do you live in NY, and how tall are you???

Sorry to report, she's spoken for, Dear Reader PennyO.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
« Reply #85 on: January 23, 2004, 10:57:51 AM »

I've just been reading the discussion of auditions and rejection, and want to thank all of you for so much candid feeling expressed. Just about the worst of it (auditions, rejection) is the feeling of being so alone with it. At one point I felt I would rather suck a tailpipe than face another audition. I left NY, mid-career, rather than continue the auditioning. Ah, if I knew then what I know now... Anyhow, this feeling of being in it together is balm fro the soul.
"And we will allllll go dooooooown together...." (ooh, a Billy Joel reference!)

The hardest part for me right now is feeling like I'm starting all over again.  I had built up all this momentum, was getting a great percentage of callbacks, and then I walked away for a year and a half...and now I have to build that up again, but I feel so unpolished and amateurish now.  I know that I just have to be patient and work hard and I'll get back up there again.  But there is still a part of me that feels like I'm 21 and ignorant again, walking into auditions with no clue and no experience.  Ack.

I have to remind myself of the time I was standing in line for a "final" callback for the national tour of Annie, about to audition for Martin Charnin (we had been told, "He wants you to look him in the eye and sing directly to him").  There were about 8 of us girls, hanging out nervously in the hallway, waiting our turn; when this little old lady with enormous sunglasses walks by us, stops & turns around, and conspiratorily says to us:  "I've been there, right where you are now, I've stood in those lines and let me tell you something:  It never gets any easier.  You always have to work for it, you always have to keep auditioning, you're always on trial for your job."  She nodded sagely (or rosemarily) and smiled, then tottered off to the bathroom.  It wasn't until she walked away that I realized:  We had just been given a pep talk from Elaine Stritch.

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
« Reply #86 on: January 23, 2004, 10:59:32 AM »

PennyO -
I can sing Mezzo Soprano, I'm five feet four inches in socks, and I live in New York.  Why?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #87 on: January 23, 2004, 10:59:42 AM »

DR Joy - I think someone answered DR Noel's question.  From the information we found out yesterday....the war between 45 rpm's and 33 1/3 rpm's really began in the very early 1950's with Columbia producing players for LP's and RCA Victor producing players for 45's.  The 78's were still being played on the then-current machines.  Multi speed players were not available until around....1952 or so - although this still hasn't been completely established.  And the 16 2/3 speed was used for the spoken word rather than music.

Or have I made another mistake?  der Brucer I think posted the most complete article about the situation.

Ben

« Reply #88 on: January 23, 2004, 11:06:16 AM »

We were in Kensington (SW7) right on the border of Earl's Court (that was our tube stop). Both the stores are on Cromwell Road. The Sainsbury was just around the corner from us (two blocks). We were on a small street called Knaresborough Place. The Tesco was about 8 blocks away near Earls Court Road.

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
« Reply #89 on: January 23, 2004, 11:06:23 AM »

Oh.  

The vile epithets will now cease.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Up