Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: THE LOVELIER THAN LOVELY LAST WEEK OF NOVEMBER  (Read 36176 times)

Danise

Re:THE LOVELIER THAN LOVELY LAST WEEK OF NOVEMBER
« Reply #60 on: November 26, 2007, 08:14:49 AM »

I'm so confused about this stuff.  I want a HD TV but I don't know what is best.  I like the idea of a flat panel but I'm told they get screen burn.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #61 on: November 26, 2007, 08:15:16 AM »

Page 3!!  Wheeee!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #62 on: November 26, 2007, 08:16:24 AM »

I like the new avitar,  JMK!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #63 on: November 26, 2007, 08:18:17 AM »

Good Morning! once again!

Well... So far, my flight has been delayed twice.  It was originally scheduled to take off at 11:15am.  Then it was displayed - not announced - that it would depart at 12:00noon.  Then it was displayed - and, again, not announced - that the flight would take off at 11:50am.  -And there's a suspicion the departure time may get moved up again.  -Blame the rain in NYC.
Make Your Own Luck.

Danise

« Reply #64 on: November 26, 2007, 08:20:04 AM »

Safe travel vibes, DR Jose!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #65 on: November 26, 2007, 08:20:28 AM »

I was a real grump last night.  I was tired of coughing all day and I just felt like I was in a bad mood for no real reason.  

A crabby Danise? I refuse to believe it!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #66 on: November 26, 2007, 08:21:07 AM »

In the meantime, I've taken care of a couple of invoices - :) - and I've also made a few calls about a couple of outstanding/still-not-paid invoices.  -And with December 1 just a couple of days away, I hope they're not "outstanding" too much longer.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 08:21:49 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #67 on: November 26, 2007, 08:22:30 AM »

I wish we could "do lunch".  I'm free-- :)

I'd pick you up!  The few times I've been sick enough not to be able to drive, I've really appreciated those who would think to offer an "outing."

The friend whose call I'm expecting today has suggested that we incorporate a visit to a mutual friend who is recovering from surgery and not doing too well.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

singdaw

« Reply #68 on: November 26, 2007, 08:25:35 AM »

I think the first 45 rpm I purchased was the Carpenter's "Top of the World."  From Caldor's, which was a regional chain sort of equivalent to what would now be Wal-mart.  They used to have these bins behind the counter with the 45's, arranged by hit status - the top 20 or whatever.  And each week they'd publish a list, and you would order by the number.

Danise

« Reply #69 on: November 26, 2007, 08:27:37 AM »

A crabby Danise? I refuse to believe it!

Oh I have my days like everyone else.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #70 on: November 26, 2007, 08:28:02 AM »

TOD:

My first memories of music on "record" were 78s...my grandfather lived with us and he had a radio console.  The top lifted up.  In the side were storage bins for the records.  My favorites were Les Paul and Mary Ford ("The World is Waiting for the Sunrise" and "Whispering").  I was four or five years old.

I remember listening to, and doing, "The Bunny Hop" with my parents and their friends in our living room.  That was one of the big radio hits of the early 1950s (don't pin me down and expect a year, 'cause I cannot remember THAT well).

On the radio, many things caught my fancy, but my first favorite female vocalist was Gale Storm.

To this day, I can remember how "connected" I felt to the whole world by listening to AM radio.  What FM there was offered classical programming, to the best of my recollection.  AM radio had a slew of stations, and my favorite was WFBC-Greenville, South Carolina.  You'd get short news/sports/weather at the top of the hour and then you'd have a DJ taking phone calls or simply playing the top tunes of the day.

I got my first hi-fi (!) record player in 1959...a Christmas gift from Santa.  There were some 45s including a Bing Crosby one featuring "White Christmas" backed with "Adeste Fidelis" in Latin.  I LEARNED the song in Latin by listening to that 45 over and over and over.  There was also a Crosby 45 with Hawaiian songs on it, including "Hawaiian Wedding Song."  Another 45 was an Andy Williams recording.

Needless to say, this stuff got old rather quickly.

I discovered "film soundtracks" a few years later.  The first soundtrack album I ever bought was "Exodus".  Twas but the beginning of a lifetime obsessions!

There were a number of places to buy records in Greenville.  The main store in downtown was called Mary's Record Shop.  It had the booths like the one in Charlotte that MattH described.  It also had the highest prices.  I found cheaper recordings in cut-out bins (Georgia Gibbs and "The Hucklebuck", anyone?) in drug stores (I found "Bells Are Ringing" and "The Wizard of Oz" in such bins).

The biggest thing to happen in Greenville in the early 60s was the opening of a huge retail store called J.M. Fields.  They had an entire aisle (on both sides) of recordings.  MAN!  They even had several bins devoted to soundtracks and Broadway.  Their prices were really good, too.

And then, one day, in 1963, I happened to be with my mom at the Wade Hampton Mall (less than a quarter mile from the neighborhood we lived in) where she bought groceries at Winn-Dixie.  I was roaming around and discovered a new shop had opened -- Carole's Record Shop.

I went in.  I found the soundtrack section.  I also noted that the prices were REALLY good (relative to my allowance).  Carole's is where I bought almost all my records for the next seven years, including "To Kill A Mockingbird" (my first purchase there).

Ah, memories.  

Toward the end of the 1960s, while I was still in college (circa 1968 or 69), Carole's relocated across Wade Hampton Boulevard (a four-laner) from the Mall.  It was a specially built store with its own parking lot.  The store was run by Mr. and Mrs. Green.  They had a daughter -- Carole -- who worked the store, as well.  I entered the Navy in 1970 and was never around Greenville much after that except for short visits.  At some point in the mid-1970s, my mom wrote to tell me Mr. Green had died.  I don't know how long the store remained open (or even if it is still there or not).

« Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 08:34:06 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Danise

« Reply #71 on: November 26, 2007, 08:29:41 AM »

I'd pick you up!  The few times I've been sick enough not to be able to drive, I've really appreciated those who would think to offer an "outing."

The friend whose call I'm expecting today has suggested that we incorporate a visit to a mutual friend who is recovering from surgery and not doing too well.

Well, Thelma and I are going out tomorrow when I go back to the doctor.  I also think we are going to go lunch before the week is over and I go back to work.  

I can't wait to be able to drive again.  I know I didn't go very far or often but when you can go anywhere at all on your own, it's a PAIN!  :(
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #72 on: November 26, 2007, 08:29:57 AM »

I'm so confused about this stuff.  I want a HD TV but I don't know what is best.  I like the idea of a flat panel but I'm told they get screen burn.

While all HD TVs are flat panel, "screen burn" is something that CAN happen if you buy a plasma set (the others don't have that "scare", to my knowledge).  

I've had my plasma since February and have NO screen burn at all because I paid attention to everything I could find on how to avoid it.  After the first several hundred hours of operation, it ceases to be an issue, if what I've read is correct.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 11:30:36 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #73 on: November 26, 2007, 08:32:38 AM »

As for the newly refurbished, remodeled and expanded Richmond International Airport... It's actually quite nice.  However, they are still working on the road into the airport and terminal area, so it was a bit tricky trying to figure out which signs and arrows to follow when my Dad dropped me off.  The main entrance area looks like a miniature version of Washington-National (DCA).

I also have to wonder why the walk from the Check-In area to the Security Screening is so long.  I had been walking enough that I began to wonder if I had made a wrong turn somewhere, or if I had somehow walked by or around the Security area.  And I didn't spot too many assistants or golf carts either to help those who might need some extra help getting to their gates.  Additionally, most of the concessions and food stands are BEFORE the security check point, so, as I purchased my bottle of water with my breakfast this morning, the clerk asked me, "Do you have enough time to finish your drink before you go through security?"  -I guess the plans for the "new" RIC were made before all the TSA regulations.
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #74 on: November 26, 2007, 08:35:10 AM »

Travel vibes to DR Jose - sure you don't want to take a ride through that Enchanted wishing well?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #75 on: November 26, 2007, 08:35:32 AM »

Hey, Ron--MattH mentioned you might have gotten this same "get 5 free HD DVDs" offer from Best Buy that I did.  Were you able to redeem the coupon online?  They told me at the store I could do that, but I can't get their site to accept the "offer code."
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #76 on: November 26, 2007, 08:37:03 AM »

I also have memories of my parents' old 78s and in fact their old, old phonograph, which was housed in the top of our ancient, blond Silvertone t.v.  The needle was long gone, and I used to put my fingernail down on the records (mostly the old Edward R. Murrow "I Can Hear It Now" series) and listen to the sound emanate from my finger.  :)  "Oh, the humanity...."
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #77 on: November 26, 2007, 08:38:45 AM »

Travel vibes to DR Jose - sure you don't want to take a ride through that Enchanted wishing well?

What's the luggage allowance?
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #78 on: November 26, 2007, 08:40:54 AM »

Hmm... The departure time has now been moved to 12:05pm.  However, since the aircraft is not yet here at the gate, well...
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #79 on: November 26, 2007, 08:41:11 AM »

Nice avatar, DR JMK.  Good luck finding a bedroom sized sound system.

DR DANISE I will only echo what others have said.....I decided against a projection television system because of the necessity of changing the bulbs every so often.  I don't know how much better my Panasonic LCD will be, but so far so good.

DR RLP - Gale Storm is STILL one of my favorite female vocalists.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #80 on: November 26, 2007, 08:41:40 AM »

Hmm... The departure time has now been moved to 12:05pm.  However, since the aircraft is not yet here at the gate, well...

Go and wait at the end of the gang way.  ;D
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #81 on: November 26, 2007, 08:47:00 AM »

Travel vibes to Monseiur Jose!!!
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #82 on: November 26, 2007, 08:47:31 AM »

Vibes to Vixmom!
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #83 on: November 26, 2007, 08:48:34 AM »

I have a work study whose name is Josiah and he pronounces similar to Jose....

I have caught myself calling him Jose a couple of times....

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #84 on: November 26, 2007, 08:49:10 AM »

BEautiful pics Jrand!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #85 on: November 26, 2007, 08:50:09 AM »

As for the Topics of the Day...

I think the first couple of 45s I bought were "Le Freak", "Reunited", "Good Times" and "Heart of Glass".  I also ordered a bunch of K-Tel albums much to my parents chagrin.  Oh, thats what C.O.D. means?!?!?  ;)

My parents had a bunch of records, everything from Classical to Sinatra to the Beatles.  They also had a lot of boxed sets from Time-Life, RCA and Reader's Digest.  From what I remember, they had a fondness for "101 Strings" and the "Montovani Strings" too.

Store-wise, I too remember Caldor's, as well as the Vality in Ledyard, CT.  -Or was it called "Vality's"?  New London? Groton? I remember buying the soundtrack to "Saturday Night Fever" there.  Oh! -and, of course, we always got great prices when we would buy records on base.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 08:52:06 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #86 on: November 26, 2007, 08:50:26 AM »

Like your new avvie JMK.... You are quite the jammin' dude!

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #87 on: November 26, 2007, 08:50:55 AM »

at least he is not nude... ;)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #88 on: November 26, 2007, 08:56:27 AM »

Well, the plane is now here, and they just deplaned, and whole turnover/turnaround process has begun.  And it looks like they just want to get everyone on board just as soon as they're ready to go - we may only end up making it into JFK just 25 minutes later than originally scheduled.  Not too bad.

In any case, I should power down so that I can power down and get ready to board.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #89 on: November 26, 2007, 09:01:54 AM »

TOD:

My first records I bought were at Record Barn in Grand Forks and my first album was the Magic of Abba and Blondie.  However my first tapes were some KTEL titles, Genesis, Phil Collins, and Air Supply. I was also on a country kick for a while and I have a lot of Alabama and a couple Reba McIntire albums on tape Vinyls and 45s were on the way out when I was a kid and cassettes were big.  I was more odd and would often use my tape player to tape a song I would hear on the radio. Grand Forks had a station that used to play sides of an LP late at night.  Not the best quality but doable for listening on a not so good tape deck in the car.

However I do have the Chieftains first album on the Claddagh label that I got on ebay and  a 45 of one of the songs that was released by claddagh (it is rare). However I do have most of there albums on tapes and or CD.

Some of the first 45s I had included Catch a Falling Star by Sinatra, Boogie Oogie Oogie by Taste of Honey, several tracks from Xanadu, Greatest American Hero by Joey Bishop, New Attitude by Pattie Labelle.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14   Go Up