Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: THE ELUSIVE BUTTERFLY OF LOVE  (Read 26052 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:THE ELUSIVE BUTTERFLY OF LOVE
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2007, 07:13:50 AM »

And, now, Ladies and Gentlemen....

PAGE TWO!!
Make Your Own Luck.

td

• td
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2007, 07:20:16 AM »

If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2007, 07:20:26 AM »

PAGE TWO GOOD MORNIN' DANCE!!!

Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2007, 07:20:40 AM »

For those who enjoy trivia, here's an interesting bit from IMDB:

Although this movie musical has been a beloved favorite for decades -- especially at Christmastime -- there has never been an official "original soundtrack" album released in any form. Decca controlled the soundtrack rights, but Rosemary Clooney was under exclusive contract to Columbia, who would not allow her to appear on a competing label. As a result, Decca and Columbia each released their own White Christmas albums in 1954, although neither is an official soundtrack. Decca's album featured the movie cast minus Rosemary Clooney, with Peggy Lee taking over Clooney's part. Columbia's album had Rosemary Clooney singing 8 songs from the film. Both albums have been issued on CD in recent years.

So, which two artists has Bette Midler celebrated on her "Songbook" CDs?  Rosemary Clooney and Peggy Lee!

(Midler releasing a "Vera-Ellen Songbook" disc might take a bit more imagination.)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2007, 07:22:12 AM »

A bit heavy for a Christmas ornament, don't'cha think?

;D
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

td

• td
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2007, 07:22:55 AM »

A bit heavy for a Christmas ornament, don't'cha think?

;D

Jose told me to get the hook. . .BLAME JOSE!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2007, 07:23:45 AM »

Ah, thanks for the assist, DR td!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2007, 07:25:26 AM »

"The Elusive Butterfly of Love"... Hmmm... Wasn't that featured in an episode of "L.A. Law"?

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

td

• td
« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2007, 07:26:43 AM »

I will be errant and truant most of the day because:

I'M THROWING A SURPRISE PARTY FOR MY MOTHER'S 75TH BIRTHDAY!

It's an open house between 2 and 5 (and the weather is cooperating) with beverages and snacks.
She doesn't KNOW a thing.  So far.

To ease any spoilers, I am making a few batches of Chocolate Almond Saltine Toffee:
http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/chocolate-almond-saltine-toffee

I have guests coming from Fredicksburg, VA as well as the neighborhood.

Only expecting about 15 to 20 people, but, I'll be a busy, busy bee!

td

• td
« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2007, 07:27:06 AM »

Ah, thanks for the assist, DR td!

For you, Jose, ANYTHING!   ;)

td

• td
« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2007, 07:27:39 AM »

. . .and now, off to the Toffee mines. . .

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2007, 07:29:03 AM »

So... Radiator is a-hissing and a-steaming away.  The steam I don't mind.  However, the hissing is quite loud and annoying.  Any suggestions on how to lower the hissing?
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2007, 07:29:28 AM »

Good morning!

It is overcast this morning and much colder than the rest of the week. Our December summer has ended as it's not getting out of the 40s today. I did enjoy it while it lasted. But this certainly will do wonders to get me more in the holiday spirit.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2007, 07:32:20 AM »

DR td - I hope You and Your Mom have a swell day!
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #44 on: December 15, 2007, 07:36:37 AM »

Absolutely favorite Danny Kaye movies are HANS CHRISTIAN ANDERSEN and WHITE CHRISTMAS.

I know ANDERSEN has really little fact in its story of the famous writer, but those songs! I love every single one of them. I played that HANS CHRISTIAN ANDERSEN LP (with TUBBY THE TUBA on the reverse side) until my parents told me they were sick of hearing it.

As for WHITE CHRISTMAS, it most definitely IS a Danny Kaye film. He has (for me) the best number in the show: "The Best Things Happen While You're Dancing" where his lilting singing and smooth dancing are simply amazing. Who knew he was capable of this kind of subtlety?

I don't care much for any of his Goldwyn 40s musicals including THE KID FROM BROOKLYN. I don't think they've aged particularly well, but, to be fair, I haven't watched any of them in many years.

THE COURT JESTER is a lot of fun, but I prefer the other two films I mentioned.

Matt H.

« Reply #45 on: December 15, 2007, 07:37:50 AM »

I'll be spending the afternoon with LOST on Blu-ray and the evening with HARRY POTTER AND THE ORDER OF THE PHOENIX (also on Blu-ray). Looking forward to each one of them.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #46 on: December 15, 2007, 07:39:13 AM »

My turn to pull a Der Brucer!

There's an "interesting" bit in the New York Time's on-line Diner's Journal about a battle brewing between a PETA fraction group and milk processors.  
Attorneys for the milk processors sent a letter to PETA in late November ordering them to stop selling items like mugs, mouse pads and barbecue aprons with the slogan “Got Pus? Milk does.” At issue wasn’t whether milk contains pus (we’ll get to that tricky question in a moment) but that PETA was profiting off of a federally registered trademark.

Leave it to the PETA radicals to find something fun about the foods we eat and drink.

But what threw me in the above quote was that PETA is raising money by selling barbecue aprons!  What exactly are they expecting us to slap down on our barbecues?   ::)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #47 on: December 15, 2007, 07:40:38 AM »

As for the Topic of the Day...

"Hans Christian Andersen" - And I still remember singing "Thumbelina", "Wonderful Copenhagen" and "Inchworm" in sixth grade.  :)

"White Christmas"
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #48 on: December 15, 2007, 07:41:02 AM »

So... Radiator is a-hissing and a-steaming away.  The steam I don't mind.  However, the hissing is quite loud and annoying.  Any suggestions on how to lower the hissing?
Only play for your fans.

;D

Matt H.

« Reply #49 on: December 15, 2007, 07:44:10 AM »

Interesting information about LOST going into the Thursday at 9 timeslot. Not really surprising, however, since Thursday night ad reveneues are the highest of any night of primetime, and ABC needed a "big gun" with a supply of fresh episodes to air there.

Of course, I would have watched it no matter which night and which time they decided to put it.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #50 on: December 15, 2007, 07:46:59 AM »

Der Brucer has Lost 3 on order - it should arrive sometime soon.  I've started running through the earlier seasons, just because I don't remember where we left off.

That's one thing that's frustrating about my work schedule - I never know whether I'm going to be working at night, running in conflict with what few shows I like to watch.  Combine this with der B having a very full televiewing schedule, and I run into real problems watching the stuff he's recorded for me, because he wants to watch the recorded stuff with me and there never seems to be the time.  I lost track of Lost last year, and had the same problem with Heroes this season.

(Fear not, I am not spoiler-phobic, so you guys can discuss away without ruining the shows for me.)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #51 on: December 15, 2007, 07:47:57 AM »

Speaking of which, it's time for me to get to... heck, you know the routine.

Matt H.

« Reply #52 on: December 15, 2007, 07:49:02 AM »

Speaking of the Decca film score WHITE CHRISTMAS LP, I think it's the album I was most disappointed in after searching for it for so many years. The recordings all sound very flat, and there are different arrangements from those used in the film.

What a shame that a true soundtrack album wasn't able to be released!

Matt H.

« Reply #53 on: December 15, 2007, 07:51:47 AM »

Der Brucer has Lost 3 on order - it should arrive sometime soon.  I've started running through the earlier seasons, just because I don't remember where we left off.

That's one thing that's frustrating about my work schedule - I never know whether I'm going to be working at night, running in conflict with what few shows I like to watch.  Combine this with der B having a very full televiewing schedule, and I run into real problems watching the stuff he's recorded for me, because he wants to watch the recorded stuff with me and there never seems to be the time.  I lost track of Lost last year, and had the same problem with Heroes this season.

(Fear not, I am not spoiler-phobic, so you guys can discuss away without ruining the shows for me.)

I kept up with the show weekely, and yet I still had surprises rewatching the episodes on the season 3 DVDs. I had forgotten some things, and other things didn't register at the time but registered greatly on rewatching since I knew certain valuable pieces of information later that I didn't know at the time of first viewing.

This is a show that definitely rewards multiple viewings. The shows are so densely packed with information that you simply cannot put it all together watching it one time.

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #54 on: December 15, 2007, 07:52:27 AM »

the hissing is quite loud and annoying.  Any suggestions on how to lower the hissing?

Stop making bad jokes?

:)
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #55 on: December 15, 2007, 08:03:36 AM »

Hello, everyone.

Today was "supposed" to be a snow day for us, but it now looks like we won't be getting any snow. We were told it'd rain, but so far we haven't had that, either. I like snow days--so relaxing--so I'm pretending that's what it is. I'm doing the usual chores, then will reeeelaaaax.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #56 on: December 15, 2007, 08:04:56 AM »

TOD:

I'm very fond of THE COURT JESTER, but, for some reason, have a tendency to pronounce it "gesture," which does give it a different meaning. Must watch that.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #57 on: December 15, 2007, 08:09:38 AM »

I think it's very nice that several of our DRs have such nice relationships with their parents--TD, Sing, and Ron with their mothers, Jose and his parents. I had a bit of time with my dad before he passed away. It's one of those things where you just don't know how long you have.

Have a lovely party, TD!

Matt H.

« Reply #58 on: December 15, 2007, 08:15:33 AM »

I'm heading down now to turn on the heat (hasn't been on for about 10 days), tidy up the bedroom, check the mail, and then start fixing lunch.

WBBL.

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #59 on: December 15, 2007, 08:26:49 AM »

And the word of the day is: SUDORIFEROUS!

And The Song Of The Day Is :  IT'S HOT UP HERE
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12   Go Up