Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: FACTOIDS  (Read 21141 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:FACTOIDS
« Reply #90 on: January 27, 2004, 01:34:39 PM »

But where IS MusicGuy?  Doesn't he want to even say hello, for heaven's sake?

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #91 on: January 27, 2004, 01:36:48 PM »

I, too, have heard the William Haines/Clark Gable story from more than one source, and I've also heard that about Mickey Rooney and Lana Turner. It sounds like this writer has simply compiled every rumor ever uttered about these MGM stars and had them printed. Fun reading, but who knows what's truth and what isn't?
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #92 on: January 27, 2004, 01:38:03 PM »

The all-star MGM wartime extravaganza THOUSANDS CHEER is airing right now on TCM. Very much a movie of its period, but the numbers are entertaining.

Michael

« Reply #93 on: January 27, 2004, 01:40:46 PM »

Glad to see Johnny Depp get a nomination.

The film City of God received 4  nominations. I never heard of this film before. (directing, screenplay, editing, cinematography) It is from Brazil and was not even nominated for Foreign Language film

As usual one of the Best Picture nominee didn't get a director's nomination. I can;t remember when all five best picture films also had the directors nominated.

But some interesting things over at oscar Central

I'll point out a few:

City of God never made any of lists.

Lord of the Rings Cinematography and Sound Editing were supposed to be locks on nominations. But did not get them.

Keisha Castle-Hughes was "out of contention" for Best Actress.

Djmon Housou and Samantha Morton were "The Rest" not even a "dark horse"

The songs were interesting too.

The Triplettes of Belleville was "Out of Contention" and Scarlet Tide was not even listed and neither was A Kiss At the End of the Rainbow . (However the title song from a Mighty Wind was)

Samantha Morton

Never stop dreaming.

Matt H.

« Reply #94 on: January 27, 2004, 01:41:53 PM »

Oh, an Ann Miller festival on TCM tonight starting at 8 p.m.: ON THE TOWN, KISS ME KATE, EASTER PARADE, and HIT THE DECK.

Matt H.

« Reply #95 on: January 27, 2004, 01:43:17 PM »

DR Michael Shayne, CITY OF GOD was nominated for Foreign Film last year. It was released in LA this year and thus became eligible in the other categories. I know, screwy Academy rules.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #96 on: January 27, 2004, 01:43:19 PM »

Good weather vibes, Jane!
The woman who lives in the house next door is an ovarian cancer survivor. (A rare thing, unfortunately. That's why studies like the one you're in, Jane, are so valuable.) She does a huge annual star-studded  benefit in LA every year.

It warms my heart to hear of women like your neighbor. :)

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #97 on: January 27, 2004, 01:47:10 PM »

I'm sure some of you tire of my never-ending kid stories, but I have to tell one that just happened, in relation to the topic of Emily's survey.  No dialect on earth can compare to the terminology thought up by a very young child.  Riley, 5 years old, just requested a snack.  He wanted milk and a "box cookie"  I said "You mean one of the chocolate chip ones we baked yesterday?"  "No, a BOX cookie!"  Thoroughly baffled, I went into the kitchen to get the milk, figuring I'd get him to show me what in the world a box cookie was afterwards, and saw the box of Nilla wafers on the counter.  And the light clicked on!  "Oh, you mean one of these?"  I asked him.  "Yes!  A box cookie!"  
Child language...so logical, adults sometimes just can't understand it...

William E. Lurie

« Reply #98 on: January 27, 2004, 01:47:12 PM »

Thanks BK for clearing that up regarding the orchestrations.  It was a really interesting interview (as is the norm for this here site).

The full title is "The Golden Girls of MGM" by Jane Ellen Wayne published by Carroll & Graff.  As I've said, I don't know how much to believe, but it's a lot of fun.  It was obviously done on the cheap as there are many typos.  Also Ms. Wayne must be English or Canadian based on a few spellings (favourite) and the date format used throughout 27 January, 2004.

No snow yet but constantly changing forecasts!

I'm sorry about Jack Paar.  I would take Paar or Steve Allen over anyone that followed them (Carson, Leno, Letterman etc.).  When Paar had "The Tonight Show" he appeared five nights a week for an hour-and-forty-five-minutes.  Guests were picked on the basis of talent and how interesting they were.  It was done from New York ten months a year with 2 monthly trips to California.  Casrson moved the show to California with no trips back to New York; he cut it down to an hour and usually only did four new shows a week himself; but worst of all it was turned into a plugfest, with guests appearing when they had a new project to plug instead of because they were interesting guests.  I will never forget a young comic who appeared on the Paar Tonight Show the first week it was on (and was brought back a second night due to popular demand).  She sang "I Made A Fool Of Myself Over John Foster Dulles" and "Puppy Love".  Her name was Carol Burnett.  One night Paar had on a young woman who was introduced as Dujy Landgar.  He had to guess who her mother was.  The guest was Liza, years before she became a star.  And Liza's mother made one of her best television appearances on Paar's prime time show after he had left latenight.  Annie Miller, Bob Keeshan, Billy May and now Jack Paar.  Not a very good way to start the year and it's only January.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #99 on: January 27, 2004, 01:50:06 PM »

No snow yet but constantly changing forecasts!

Never believe weather predicitions.  According to the radio I'm supposed to be under the rainclouds by now, and we're currently enjoying blue skies and sunshine...go figure...

Jane

« Reply #100 on: January 27, 2004, 01:50:20 PM »

I hope to spend Saturday in DC.  Any suggestions?  My friend asked about the botanical gardens.  Does anyone know if they are worth going to at this time of year.  I understand there is a nice greenhouse section. She also asked about the wax museum but I didn’t find anything on it.

Jane

« Reply #101 on: January 27, 2004, 01:55:52 PM »

Oh and Panni, thanks for the good weather vibes.  Good vibes back to you.  May you feel up to enjoying those clouds soon.

Robin

« Reply #102 on: January 27, 2004, 01:56:13 PM »

Here in Minnesota, the weather is about to take another plunge into The Deep Freeze...I honestly don't mind all that much.  I just put on another layer and get on with it.  Hot weather, on the other hand, is the bane of my existence.  Gimme minus ten anyday over 75 degrees...!

I've seen all five of the Best Picture nominees this year.  Two of them I disliked.  I'd like to say The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King is a lock for the statue, but Mystic River was pretentious and downbeat, so I'm betting it'll win instead.  Besides, other than for technical awards, SF/fantasy/horror pictures may just as well not exist for most Academy voters.  

I was really delighted to see The Triplets of Belleville get a Best Animated Feature award.  It might actually get this over Finding Nemo.  Last year's winner, Spirited Away was a dark horse, that deserved the award.  Nemo is a fine, fine picture, but Triplets is far better...at least, IMHO (that's "in my humble opinion" in 'net lingo!).  

Oh, and Happy "Real" Natal Anniversay, MusicGuy...!  
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

td

• td
« Reply #103 on: January 27, 2004, 02:05:57 PM »

If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Matt H.

« Reply #104 on: January 27, 2004, 02:13:10 PM »

Though I was young when he was at his zenith, I still enjoyed Jack Paar and appreciated that the conversation was sophisticated and something that I'd find more enlightening "when I grew up." Sorry he pretty much gave up on TV before I made it to maturity. But he could get GREAT conversation out of people like Hermione Gingold and Zsa Zsa Gabor.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #105 on: January 27, 2004, 02:18:04 PM »

I hope to spend Saturday in DC.  
She also asked about the wax museum but I didn’t find anything on it.

I think they call that Congress.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

MBarnum

« Reply #106 on: January 27, 2004, 02:22:37 PM »

Emily: I voted!

Rondo: I voted!

Jennifer

« Reply #107 on: January 27, 2004, 02:25:05 PM »

Quote from: Jennifer on Today at 12:24:09pm
Do you guys in the US really call an all-dressed pizza supreme? (I have never heard that term before).

Wasn't "everything on it" one of the choices?  I believe that was my response.  Different restaurants have clever names like deluxe or supreme.

I have never heard it referred to as that either! :)

Good vibes to DR JANE ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #108 on: January 27, 2004, 02:31:23 PM »

I've just finished perusing our next Unseemly Interview, with Alet Oury, and let me tell you it is frank and strong and funny and terrific.  I think this will appeal to everyone here, young and old, about the dangers one can fall into as a young aspiring actor in NY, and about how one deals with rejection.  Alet has overcome a lot and I think you will be bowled over by the interview.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #109 on: January 27, 2004, 02:34:04 PM »

What a blustery day - the worst storm here in five years. We've lost hydro (that's Canadian for our electricity's gone off) five or six times.

Good vibes - weather vibes, health vibes - to everyone, especially to DR Jane as she heads east. And Panni, I'll let you know when the Lexus arrives.

As an editor of books, I've been enjoying today's discussions on writing. I've worked with one editor who has an inflated idea about how much she contributes to her authors' books (she doesn't), and with quieter types who recognize that their job - even when revisions are required - is a supporting one. I've also worked with authors who are embarrassingly thankful for a relatively minor edit; and with those who say zilch, even after you've restructured their work and caught umpteen errors.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #110 on: January 27, 2004, 02:37:24 PM »

Bruce, CHOICE is the key word.  I'm perfectly content with anyone saying whatever they want about my work...I'd just like the final say-so as to whether I think the note is good or bad, workable, adjustable, or whether the critique is valid, but their reason is wrong behind it (Many folk will think sometimes something is too long, that the trouble's in the second act, etc.  when the actual fact may be that something is too short or the reason the second  act doesn't quite work is because there is a set-up or some sort of elucidation missing in the first act).  I'm the dramatist.  I always say you don't pay me the big bucks just to write, but for my sense of dramaturgy.  I once had a producer try to get me to tart up some bad note of a director's by saying:  "You're a great writer, you can write anything."  I replied: "No, I'm a great writer because I DON'T write anything."

I enjoyed the Hell out of Johnny Depp's performance in PIRATES and think he may be the best young actor working, but at the end of the day, his Jack Sparrow really is just a music hall turn...I suspect there are richer, denser performances eligible for an Academy bid.

I too can dimly remember the great days of Jack Paar (listening in my bed to the TV coming from downstairs) and the early days of Johnny Carson when the show was an hour and half five days a week and you had guests on because they interesting conversationalists, not because they had something to sell or hype.

I remember quirky folk like humourist Jack Douglas (Never Trust A Naked Bus Driver & My Brother Was An Only Child) and his Asian Wife, Reiko, they were like a Burns and Allen act.  Sam Levenson, Sammy Cahn, etc.

Does anyone else remember the infamous Custer sketch that Johnny Carson did in his early days? It was a huge flop and laid the biggest egg. It became the standard for flops.  He and Ed talked and joked about it for months afterwards.  I'm surprised he never included it in any of his clip anniversary shows.  
« Last Edit: January 27, 2004, 02:40:43 PM by Charles Pogue »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #111 on: January 27, 2004, 02:46:42 PM »

Hmmmmmmmm.....stuck in the electronic HAT again....second week in a row.  

I remember Jack Paar's Friday evening show - an hour...in color I think on NBC.  Hermione Gingold and Genevieve and that was where I first saw Jonathan Winters.  His theme song was "Everything's Coming Up Roses"...he opened with a monolog...and I remember when Judy Garland was on talking about the movies and she was very entertaining.  The first time I ever really saw her be herself and not a character.

Interesting show...maybe they will end up on DVD sometime.  And yes I enjoyed Jack Paar and Steve Allen more than any of the others, even though I never watched the Tonight show regularly...EVER.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2004, 02:55:42 PM by JRand53 »
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #112 on: January 27, 2004, 02:47:33 PM »

I'm sorry about Jack Paar.  I would take Paar or Steve Allen over anyone that followed them (Carson, Leno, Letterman etc.).  When Paar had "The Tonight Show" he appeared five nights a week for an hour-and-forty-five-minutes.  Guests were picked on the basis of talent and how interesting they were.  It was done from New York ten months a year with 2 monthly trips to California.  Casrson moved the show to California with no trips back to New York; he cut it down to an hour and usually only did four new shows a week himself; but worst of all it was turned into a plugfest, with guests appearing when they had a new project to plug instead of because they were interesting guests.  I will never forget a young comic who appeared on the Paar Tonight Show the first week it was on (and was brought back a second night due to popular demand).  She sang "I Made A Fool Of Myself Over John Foster Dulles" and "Puppy Love".  Her name was Carol Burnett.  One night Paar had on a young woman who was introduced as Dujy Landgar.  He had to guess who her mother was.  The guest was Liza, years before she became a star.  And Liza's mother made one of her best television appearances on Paar's prime time show after he had left latenight.  Annie Miller, Bob Keeshan, Billy May and now Jack Paar.  Not a very good way to start the year and it's only January.

In all fairness, WEL, Johnny Carson did the Tonight Show for almost thirty years.  For a long time Carson kept the show in New York and took two trips to L.A. every year; and he worked five days a week.  It was only after he had been doing the show for many years, and he had threatened to resign, that the show was moved to L.A. permanently and he cut back to four days a week (and began bringing on more and more guest hosts).  Don't get me wrong, I loved Jack Parr.  However, it is very easy to wax nostalgic about Jack Parr's Tonight Show, but just remember that Parr only did that show for five years before he got tired of it and left.
“One thing’s universal,

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #113 on: January 27, 2004, 03:05:15 PM »

[stream=256,256][move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Happy Birthday DR MusicGuy[/move][/stream]
« Last Edit: January 27, 2004, 03:06:45 PM by Dan-in-Toronto »

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #114 on: January 27, 2004, 03:08:39 PM »

Happy Birthday, Dear Reader MusicGuy!
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #115 on: January 27, 2004, 03:17:53 PM »

All these posts on the business of writing have been fascinating.  BK appears to be the sort who writes what he wants and he doesn't care what anybody else thinks.

I'm exactly the opposite: I care only about what the audience thinks, and, what they tell me, I listen to.

Four years ago, Area 51 - The Musical http://hometown.aol.com/mprovizr/Index.html went into rehearsal.  There was a song in it that I was particularly proud of from a harmonic standpoint.  I'd chose a bold set of chords for a fun-frightening song called Watch Your Back.  Our able director, Gary Slavin, had said it was his favorite in the score, and Kathi Gilmore sang it beautifully.

After one performance in front of an audience, we removed the song from the score.  Of course, the final decision was mine (this being the theatre), but it was clear from watching them watch the show, that every point the song had to make, the audience had already gotten before the music began.  We never missed it: The show played much better without it.

But I sure wouldn't like to be ordered to make changes by some barely-out-of-college executive.

Not coincidentally...
Sunday, DW Joy and I saw three of the Best Picture nominees.  And, while I'd agree these were good films, they're all far from great films.  (I also saw Seabiscuit some time ago and I will not attend Lord o' Rings.)  Reading the list makes me think it was an off year for cinema.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #116 on: January 27, 2004, 03:26:40 PM »

Well, Noel, I was specifically talking about my novels.  Those are for me.  When I write a musical, of course I listen to everyone - anyone who has a good idea.  I mean, I hope you weren't trying to imply otherwise, or I will have to bitch-slap you from here to eternity for being so blind.  I mean, it was SO obvious what I was talking about, and here you turn it around into something wholly other.  Shame on you.

Any writer in the theater is going to listen and learn, both from audiences, their director, the actors, a stagehand, whoever.

Robin

« Reply #117 on: January 27, 2004, 03:27:45 PM »

I voted for the Rondos!  

Does a winner actually get a bust of Rondo Hatton?  That would be supreme, wouldn't it?  

Earlier today, I had to pick up the cat from the vets.  He's developed crystals in his urine!  But this is treatable, with special (read: expensive!) cat food and regular trips to see Ms. Veteraniarian.  

In case you're interested, here's his pitcher.
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #118 on: January 27, 2004, 03:32:27 PM »

Noel, maybe you mentioned this a different day, but what is your reason for not seeing LOTR; ROTK?  I thought I was the only man left standing who had no desire to sit through the rest of the trilogy.  I am not a great fan of science fiction, although I enjoy some of it, but I sat through Part I, because everyone told me I had to watch it, and I truly don't think I have ever been so bored in my life.

Honestly,  I am glad that other people find the books to be so wonderful, and I am glad that the films live up to everyone's expectations, but please, please spare me the agony of sitting through any more of the Ring films.
“One thing’s universal,

Jane

« Reply #119 on: January 27, 2004, 03:41:42 PM »

Robin cute picture.  Good luck with the crystals problem.  It isn’t always easy to correct as I know only too well.  Four cats and every one of them had urinary problems.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up