Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: THE GUY WHOSE FEET WERE TOO BIG FOR HIS BED  (Read 37203 times)

singdaw

Re:THE GUY WHOSE FEET WERE TOO BIG FOR HIS BED
« Reply #90 on: December 21, 2007, 07:44:42 AM »

DR JMK, thanks for all your reviews - love hearing about things I wouldn't otherwise, like Brass Ring and Singers, Unlimited.

singdaw

« Reply #91 on: December 21, 2007, 07:45:34 AM »

Singdaw, I saw that!

;D   You beat me to it.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #92 on: December 21, 2007, 07:47:15 AM »

DR JMK, thanks for all your reviews - love hearing about things I wouldn't otherwise, like Brass Ring and Singers, Unlimited.

Well, I put Brass Ring in the "enjoyable kitsch" category, and "Singers Unlimited" in the "voices from heaven" category.  ;)

Speaking of voices from heaven, I mentioned this group a couple of years ago around Christmastime, but for anyone who hasn't heard them, you must, must, must get the two First Call "Evening in December" CDs (Vol. 2 is my favorite, with the most stunning arrangment ever of Alfred Burt's "Caroling, Caroling," and I've arranged that tune, LOL).
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #93 on: December 21, 2007, 07:47:54 AM »

Gabe is suddenly very into IQ scores and made me take two tests yesterday.  I scored 141 and 143 (so I guess I'm getting smarter).  Has anyone else taken those online tests that are available?

Yes, and it confirms what we already knew.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

JMK

« Reply #94 on: December 21, 2007, 07:48:47 AM »

I believe DR Elmore told me he knows the vocal arranger for First Call and though he doesn't like him personally had to admit the "Caroling" chart was outrageously beautiful.  ;)

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #95 on: December 21, 2007, 07:49:15 AM »

Our local critic for years sang in the chorus of the Charlotte Opera, so I have a feeling he knows good singing from poor. A lot of folks here do, too, so I'll look forward to reading what folks here think about the film.

I am very familiar with bad singing. I am quite good at it, myself.

JMK

« Reply #96 on: December 21, 2007, 07:49:21 AM »

Yes, and it confirms what we already knew.

That you're a genius?   ;D

JMK

« Reply #97 on: December 21, 2007, 07:49:41 AM »

Gabe took one this morning and scored 126, which I think is pretty darned good for an 11 year old.

JMK

« Reply #98 on: December 21, 2007, 07:50:09 AM »

One shudders to think what he and his brother will score once they're older (get your minds out of the gutter, I'm talking IQs).

JMK

« Reply #99 on: December 21, 2007, 07:52:57 AM »

Oooh--the Brass Ring are (is?) doing a "yakety-sax" double sax version of "Honey."  And next up is "Rosemary's Baby" (I kid you not).  I'm lovin' it.

singdaw

« Reply #100 on: December 21, 2007, 07:54:08 AM »

Does IQ change radically as you grow up?  I thought the tests were designed to assess general ability at whatever age.

Just curious, I really know nothing about it.

JMK

« Reply #101 on: December 21, 2007, 07:55:38 AM »

Well, Ro is "waltzing" in 4/4, with "Patton"-esque echo chamber trumpets.  Oooh!! It all just changed into a Mariachi arrangement, with what sounds like very early Moog and organ.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #102 on: December 21, 2007, 07:56:13 AM »

bk, the vocal score for Sweeney Todd lists the following instrumentation:

6 violins
2 violas
2 celli
1 double bass
1 harp
Keyboards: Yamaha E5 organ + Celesta [I assume 1 player]
2 trumpets
1 french horn
3 trombones
5 reeds [doubling]
and a battery of percussion

That's at least 25 - possibly 26 if there were 2 players on percussion.
This would make for 24 players - the battery of percussion would be played by the EverReady Bunny, who isn't a real person.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

JMK

« Reply #103 on: December 21, 2007, 07:56:14 AM »

Does IQ change radically as you grow up?  I thought the tests were designed to assess general ability at whatever age.

Just curious, I really know nothing about it.

I think Gabe's isn't necessarily accurate because these particular tests have vocab and math questions that he simply doesn't have the experience to answer yet.

JMK

« Reply #104 on: December 21, 2007, 07:57:30 AM »

Hell, I didn't have the math skills to answer some of the questions, like if you transpose 3 hexagons over each other, can you have 10 distinct compartments.  ???

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #105 on: December 21, 2007, 08:03:10 AM »

I'm heading down now to get cleaned up for my usual Friday outings.

WBBL.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

JMK

« Reply #106 on: December 21, 2007, 08:08:12 AM »

The church I work for does the most amazing Christmas sharing program I have ever seen.  They are giving gifts and food to over 250 (yes, 250) families.  Since this is the first Christmas I've been with them, I have been blown away by the planning and execution of this huge undertaking.  For the past week, the "small chapel" (which probably seats 200) has been filled (and I mean filled) with the presents.  Then yesterday they had literally tables full of food (imagine hundreds of boxes of cereal, pallets full of canned goods, etc.), in "memorial hall" (a huge ampitheater type room that probably would easily seat 500).  Today they put it all together and tomorrow they deliver it.  We chose two easy people to buy for--one guy wanted XXL t-shirts and a 13 year old wanted DVDs and video games.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2007, 08:08:53 AM by JMK »

JMK

« Reply #107 on: December 21, 2007, 08:14:03 AM »

Where would you go with an 11 and 9 year old department?:  We're trying to decide which of our timeshare locations to visit summer 2008.  We had thought about Australia (and Tomovoz was most helpful in providing info about the many locations our timeshare has there), but the $12,000 (yes that's three zeros) roundtrip airfare for 4 people seems a bit daunting.  ;)  So at this point we're considering:

1.  Victoria, BC (good for Betsy and me--we're wondering about kid-stuff to do)
2.  Las Vegas (actually pretty kid-friendly, but not particularly exotic.  Close to Betsy's bro and his family in LA, however, and our sister-in-law's Mom lives in Vegas, which means maybe they could come meet us there)
3.  New Orleans (was first on our list until yesterday's riots, LOL.  Betsy and I have never been there).
4.  Southern Utah (one of my fondest memories as a kid was the summer my Dad took me to 4 Corners and the Indian cliff dwellings).
5.  Cabo (the resort is supposed to be incredible, but, again, not sure what there is for kids to do).

Opinions?
« Last Edit: December 21, 2007, 08:14:18 AM by JMK »

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #108 on: December 21, 2007, 08:14:19 AM »

The church I work for does the most amazing Christmas sharing program I have ever seen.  They are giving gifts and food to over 250 (yes, 250) families.  Since this is the first Christmas I've been with them, I have been blown away by the planning and execution of this huge undertaking.  For the past week, the "small chapel" (which probably seats 200) has been filled (and I mean filled) with the presents.  Then yesterday they had literally tables full of food (imagine hundreds of boxes of cereal, pallets full of canned goods, etc.), in "memorial hall" (a huge ampitheater type room that probably would easily seat 500).  Today they put it all together and tomorrow they deliver it.  We chose two easy people to buy for--one guy wanted XXL t-shirts and a 13 year old wanted DVDs and video games.

That's wonderful. Maybe next year my church will have some competent folks on the board who can effectively plan and organize such an effort. On a smaller scale, of course.

MBarnum

« Reply #109 on: December 21, 2007, 08:14:49 AM »

DR Vixmom -

I suggest reading the New York Times review, which raises some points relevant to your decision.

Oh my, this movie is certainly not for me.  :-[

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #110 on: December 21, 2007, 08:15:12 AM »

Um, Las Vegas is not really kid-friendly any more. You kid will get an eye-full.

JMK

« Reply #111 on: December 21, 2007, 08:15:23 AM »

That's wonderful. Maybe next year my church will have some competent folks on the board who can effectively plan and organize such an effort. On a smaller scale, of course.

Laura, this church has been doing this for decades, and they evidently started with only 2-3 families.  It just branched out from there.  They get the names of the families from the Salvation Army.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #112 on: December 21, 2007, 08:15:24 AM »

Well I have caught up on yesterday and Must now go to work

I have a request from All DR's who will be seeing Sweeney Todd I would be most interested in your views on bringing the 14 year old Vixter to see it.  
...I have explained that Sweeny Todd is very different from Into The Woods.
I have explained that it is rated R annd she is 3 years too young to see a R movie...
An R rating does not bar someone of the Vixter's age from seeing the film.  That falls to the rating NC-17.  An R rating says that anyone under the age must see the film while accompanied by an adult.  Since you are bringing the 14 year old Vixter to see it, I'm going to assume that you don't mean that you are just going to drop her off at the theater, but will be seeing it with her.  Having met the Vixter (twice, now), I can vouch for her maturity, and dare say that she will be able to discuss the film calmly with you after seeing it and help you through any problems you have with the film.

There are many films that have R ratings that should be seen by mature youngsters.  The Brian de Palma film Carrie comes to mind.  Yes, there are elements of sex in the film, and certainly gore, but the sex and gore are not gratuitous (as in too many slasher flicks).  South Park - Bigger, Longer, Uncut is another R rated film that is fantastically funny, and indeed touches on what an R rating really means.  Is there a lot of foul language in it?  Yup.  I think the Vixter would get the point, rather than use it as a standard for her own behavior.

The trick is getting the adults to watch films like these with the young'uns, so that the adults can monitor how their younger counterparts are reacting to the film (and the younger viewers can monitor the adults, as well).
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #113 on: December 21, 2007, 08:16:11 AM »

And your kid will enjoy said eye-full. You and Betsy, however, will squirm.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #114 on: December 21, 2007, 08:17:00 AM »

Oh my, this movie is certainly not for me.  :-[
But there's lots of singing!

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #115 on: December 21, 2007, 08:17:51 AM »

Our board person in charge of witnessing ministries rarely came to meetings and turned in reports that DR Sandra was proud of -- two pages of big words reporting that she did absolutely nothing.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2007, 08:19:42 AM by DearReaderLaura »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #116 on: December 21, 2007, 08:19:15 AM »

It's already time for me to get to work.

I have no idea what to feed der Brucer for dinner, before we go to see Todd.  

What does one eat before seeing a film with lots of brutal slashings?

Blood sausage, perhaps?

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #117 on: December 21, 2007, 08:20:00 AM »

Meat pies.

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #118 on: December 21, 2007, 08:20:24 AM »

Ok -- it's off to the office Christmas party for me! Woo Hoo!

singingnymph

• We have movie sign!
« Reply #119 on: December 21, 2007, 08:21:27 AM »

Gabe is suddenly very into IQ scores and made me take two tests yesterday.  I scored 141 and 143 (so I guess I'm getting smarter).  Has anyone else taken those online tests that are available?
I've taken a couple, but I don't do very well on the ones that focus on math-related skills. I'm actually fairly certain I have dyscalculia, but not from my IQ test performances.
~Meg B, of Central California~
Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum,
minutus carborata descendum pantorum.
A little song, a little dance,
a little seltzer down your pants.
http://madmistressmeg.spreadshirt.com
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12   Go Up