Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: WHO KNOWS WHERE THE TIME GOES?  (Read 23309 times)

TCB

• Because I can!
Re:WHO KNOWS WHERE THE TIME GOES?
« Reply #60 on: January 28, 2004, 11:39:38 AM »

Here's even BIGGER NEWS:

According to THIS RELEASE, Sweeney Todd with George Hearn and Angela Lansbury and The Last of Sheila with...everyone, are FINALLY going to be released on DVD!! "The Last of Sheila" will have special features that include commentary by Richard Benjamin, Dyan Cannon and Raquel Welch and the theatrical trailer.

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%] ;D ;D ;D ;D[/move]

And here's even BIGGER BIG news............

??? ???

I don't really have anything, but I didn't want to feel left out.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #61 on: January 28, 2004, 11:44:27 AM »

Or...  the BIGGER BIG news could be that we got to page 3.
“One thing’s universal,

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #62 on: January 28, 2004, 11:44:51 AM »

I actually thought if Tracy Ullman would put on weight, would be not an uninteresting choice.  
These days a sure road to an Oscar nomination! (Add a prosthetic nose and Minnie's loose false teeth -- and she's got the trophy.)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #63 on: January 28, 2004, 11:51:10 AM »

Judy was in Indy doing two performances in October, 1967, at Clowes Hall, a new facility on the campus of Butler University.

A woman who was in the audience for one of the shows, wrote that she was seated behind Frances Farmer and her party.

Just as it came time for Judy's entrance, Frances stood up and moved to the end of the row (there is no center aisle at Clowes).  Judy ran in and ran down the aisle laughing and greeting people.  She passed Frances and kept on going.

A few steps more, Judy did a double take and ran back to Frances, hugging her and laughing and talking.  The two ladies had a mini reunion while the band vamped and the audience waited...and waited.  ;D
« Last Edit: January 28, 2004, 11:53:50 AM by JRand53 »
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Ben

« Reply #64 on: January 28, 2004, 11:56:07 AM »

Not to be contrary, but an article in Playbill On-Line says that McKean is one of a number of actors being considered. Not that Broadway.com is wrong but they even say in their article that production staff on Hairspray said no offer had been made to McKean. I guess it will all come out in the hairspray.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #65 on: January 28, 2004, 11:58:26 AM »

Good afternoon!

As for my "problem" with running times of shows today...  I just have to wonder if the original audiences complained about an almost two hour first act.  Or a full show that had a running time of 3 hours - or even more.  Most of the Rodgers & Hammerstein canon if done in toto would definitely run over today's union-limited 3-hour running time.  -Well, a show can run over 3 hours today, but then that calls for special negotiations a la Les Miserables.  I know that going to the theatre back then was truly a full evening... Dinner, show, a longer intermission then what we're used to today, party, drinks, etc...

Did the less mechanized and streamlined scene changes allow ample opportunity to go to the lounge?

Did people not mind missing out on a scene and/or a song?

I guess I'm coming from my "purist" standpoint.  If a playwright wrote those words, I want to hear them.  If a composer wrote those notes, I want to hear them.  Yes, some of the classic show do have some fat - "in ones", "crossovers", encore verses, etc...  It just seems unfortunate that when a director and/or producer chooses to mount a production of a classic musical, they know that even before rehearsals start that they will have to make cuts in order to bring the show down to a more comfortable and manageable running time for today's audiences - and financial considerations.

OK - I'm babbling again, and I don't think I'll be able to stop... so....

Question for BK:  Has there been a revival of a show that you've seen - or even heard of - where they cut something (scene and/or song) and considered it "blasphemy"?  -Yes, "blasphemy" is too strong a word here, but I can't think of anything else right now.  And has there even been a revival where new material was interpolated, and you had to ask, "Why!?!?!"

Conversely, have any subtractions or additions to a revival met with your stamp of approval and big smile on your face?
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #66 on: January 28, 2004, 12:15:58 PM »

JRand53, loved the Frances/Judy tale. Don't you wish you could have been sitting there behind Frances at that moment! What a sweet story.

And loved the Frances autograph!

Did any DRs see the Judy Garland TV movie that was made a year or two ago. I did not have high hopes for it, but was just astounded at how good it was...particularly Judy Davis' performance and the young actress that playd JG as a child. Wow!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #67 on: January 28, 2004, 12:16:24 PM »

I like to watch ice skating as well....as do many other DR's!  Bowling....now and then....

I also enjoy hockey on tv and in person!!!!

I enjoyed ME AND MY SHADOWS, DRMBarnum.  And the young Judy was Tammy Blanchard who is now on Broadway in GYPSY...see the review above.  I thought Judy Davis was good, but she could have started a couple of scenes later......

« Last Edit: January 28, 2004, 12:22:05 PM by JRand53 »

MBarnum

« Reply #68 on: January 28, 2004, 12:16:38 PM »

BK, question of the day: Does your pal Cindy Williams ever peruse HHW? And it so has she ever posted?

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #69 on: January 28, 2004, 12:21:26 PM »

SS thanks for the dinner suggestion.  It sounds like fun.

Currently the weather predictions for the area are favorable.

JRand53 thanks for the nice story and the smile on my face. :)

Jane

« Reply #70 on: January 28, 2004, 12:21:59 PM »

Bruce do you know Penny is friends with Cindy?

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #71 on: January 28, 2004, 12:24:03 PM »

My der Brucer's post above about the LA River has reminded me of where I first learned of it's history - on a program called Ralph Story's Los Angeles, where the veteran broadcaster would dig up a half hour's worth of LA history every Saturday.  He was one heck of a good storyteller, always able to make things interesting.

So, to ASK BK: Which Los Angeles newspeople do you remember best, and why?  (The good and the bad; no reason to leave Connie Chung out of all this!   ;D)

Going off on a tangent, when it rains in LA it doesn't just sprinkle sprinkle sprinkle, it comes out in TORRANTS!  And I mean all over the place, not just in Torrence!  This of course leads to flooding, which the drainage systems usually take care of fairly well (hence the need for the LA River's concrete embankments, because that's where all the drainage goes).  

The other half of the problem is brushfires, which kick up every few years.  The natural growth in the hills gets tinder dry, and all it takes is a stray match to set things off.  In fact, there are plants that require fire to help germinate their seeds, so fire is a natural part of the process!  But I can remember times when the fires were so thick and heavy that the sky would turn orange, as the sunlight tried to work it's way through all the smoke.  Another year, we'd gone to a drive-in movie, and I can't even remember what was on the screen because the lines of fires in the hills were far more interesting to watch.  And there was the one fire in the early autumn when I was in the 5th grade that struck very close to home.  

Our house in Burbank was in the first block below the hills and all that underbrush.  This one year, the fires came to within yards of the street between the undeveloped area and our block.  Dad was fortunately with us that week, instead of off at the real Area 51 with all the test pilots, and left work to spend the entire day on the roof of our house, hosing things down.  The next spring, he sprung for new asbestos roofing to replace the shake shingles we'd had before.  Much safer.

Ah, but before we got that new roof, the rains came.  That's what happens in March and April; there's torrential rains.  And the brush that was in the hills wasn't there, and hadn't had any chance to grow back.  So naturally, there was nothing to hold the soil down in the hills, and as the ground reached the saturation point, gravity did it's thing.  The waterlogged dirt turned to mud, and we were hit by mudslides.

We were lucky.  By chance, the street we lived on was on a semi-ridge, so that the water and mud instead wend down the streets to either side of ours.  But the people on those other streets had some real problems, with mud cascading down, knocking down trees which, in turn, would turn the waters away from the street and towards the houses.  Some of the people had to evacuate, to return to find their houses filled with mud.  There was some serious clean-up that had to be done after that.

I suppose Los Angeles might have less park-land than other major cities, per capita.  But it still has areas of wild lands, which more than makes up for that "lack".  And Los Angeles is just one city in the entire county of Los Angeles.  Even along the streets, there is much greenery, and enough trees to make it what ecologists call an "urban forest."  Were there brushfires?  Floods?  Earthquakes?  Of course.  But these things were momentary, and gave the place a chance to renew and rebuild.  It was a very good place to grow up.  I can't imagine why anyone would prefer a concrete jungle.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #72 on: January 28, 2004, 12:30:38 PM »

Today is the seven month mark since the stork dropped me off here at HHW...it feels like a lot longer...

BK: Do you have any funny stories about your daughter that you'd be willing to tell us? My dad just told me about a bunch of stuff I used to do when I was little, and I was dying laughing.

I love football, hockey, soccer, and ice skating. Basketball isn't GREAT, but I'll watch it, and I can't stand baseball. It takes SO long!

It is about 20 degrees here, and the sun is finally out! I'll probably have school tomorrow...I'm actually glad. While snow days are fun, I'm becoming incredibly bored with being trapped in my house.
...Walk in the sunshine...

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #73 on: January 28, 2004, 12:36:28 PM »

According to THIS RELEASE, Sweeney Todd with George Hearn and Angela Lansbury and The Last of Sheila with...everyone, are FINALLY going to be released on DVD!! "The Last of Sheila" will have special features that include commentary by Richard Benjamin, Dyan Cannon and Raquel Welch and the theatrical trailer.
Hopefully, The Last of Sheila will also have appropriate chapter stops, so that others can have the same fun I made sure der Brucer had.  There is a scene, towards the end of the film, where Richard Benjamin is walking along the docks, alone.  At that point, I made der Brucer stop the tape (we have it on VHS, and he'd never seen the film before) and see if he could work out the mystery all on his own, as all the facts have been given by that point.  Mystery buff that he is, I shouldn't have been surprised that he got it right!  (Of course, it took him a couple of days, and a couple of prods early on, but he had a blast piecing it all together.)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #74 on: January 28, 2004, 12:39:15 PM »

Cindy knows nothing about the site.  When we dine (we can't do it until she's back in town in two weeks) I will tell her all.  Friends with PennyO or PennyM?

Newspeople: Certainly for amusement value no one has ever topped George Putnam in the LA area.  I also used to like Paul Coates and his Confidential Report in the fifties (Mr. Coates and his show were the inspiration for Danny DeVito's character in LA Confidential).

Funny daughter story - I've told it before but since it always makes me laugh:

When Nudie Musical came out I used to get newspapers from all over the US to see the reviews and check out theaters and ads.  Once a week I'd head over to the Sherman Oaks newstand, usually with daughter in tow.  They have an awning there, and on the awning are printed things like Magazines, Out of Town papers, etc.  So, I park, tell my daughter (who was just six then) to wait while I pick up my papers.  A minute later I'm back in the car and we drive off.  She says to me, "Daddy, I hope you didn't want any town papers."  I said, "What do you mean."  She said, "They're out of them."  I turned around and saw the sign "out of town papers".  I laughed for three days straight, and she laughed, too, once I explained it to her.  And we still laugh about it to this day.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #75 on: January 28, 2004, 12:39:24 PM »

DR WEL - I have the ABC Paramount LP of Judy At Home at the Palace recorded in 1967...and I love to listen to it.  Is it on CD yet?

Of course, she didn't sing "Rainbow" on the recording, but her banter with the audience and some of the "newer" songs are great to hear.

Yes, DRMBarnum...I would love to have been at Clowes that night....everytime I go there I try to figure out exactly where Judy came in and where they might have met...LOL

Panni

« Reply #76 on: January 28, 2004, 12:42:14 PM »

Thanks for the Judy-Frances story, JRand53!

Panni

« Reply #77 on: January 28, 2004, 12:48:56 PM »

Lovely daughter story, bk! I think one of the reasons young children learn foreign languages so easily is that they just cut straight to the heart of the matter. It says what it says, it means what it means. Nothing gets in the way.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #78 on: January 28, 2004, 12:50:03 PM »

What a great story about your daughter, BK.

Yesterday when  I got home from work, I switched on the TV hoping to hear some New Hampshire election returns.  It was still too early, so I sat down and watched the Pyramid Game Show with Donny Osmond.  One of the contestants yesterday was a guy who looked very much like our own MBarnum's picture.  Now, having never seen Mr. Barnum in the flesh, as it were, I don't know if he looked anything like the real Mr. Barnum.  However, he was cute and adorable and kind of sexy.  And after yesterday's program he also had $10,000.00.
“One thing’s universal,

MBarnum

« Reply #79 on: January 28, 2004, 12:55:14 PM »

What a great story about your daughter, BK.

Yesterday when  I got home from work, I switched on the TV hoping to hear some New Hampshire election returns.  It was still too early, so I sat down and watched the Pyramid Game Show with Donny Osmond.  One of the contestants yesterday was a guy who looked very much like our own MBarnum's picture.  Now, having never seen Mr. Barnum in the flesh, as it were, I don't know if he looked anything like the real Mr. Barnum.  However, he was cute and adorable and kind of sexy.  And after yesterday's program he also had $10,000.00.

Sadly, that wasn't me...I could use $10,000 right now! Credit cards you know. Dangerous things!

Loved the "out of town newspapers" story! Got a good laugh out of that!

Jed

« Reply #80 on: January 28, 2004, 12:56:51 PM »

WEL - I saw the Gypsy revival in June, and I have to say that I agree with most all of your review.  The one real difference of opinion we have is about the strippers.  When I saw it, I felt "You Gotta Get a Gimmick" sat there like so much fish and was the one real disappointment of the show.  I agree that Bernadette was better than I'd feared, but not outstanding, Blanchard got better throughout the show, and Dossett was simply wonderful.

BK - Yes!  Rob Reiner would seem to be a wonderful fit for a Kritzer film.

Wonderful news about the Sweeney Todd and The Last of Sheila DVDs!  Hope I have some cash laying around on April 20th.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Jane

« Reply #81 on: January 28, 2004, 12:56:57 PM »

Panni I hope you feel much improved today and your voice is beginning to return to normal.  At least you could still speak, with the written word, and voice your views for us.  

SWW you bring back memories-Ralph’s Story’s.
We had a gully (long ago it was paved over & made into a street) that ran behind our elementary school.  I remember standing at the back fence during recess watching in the hopes it would rise high enough so we would all be sent home.  The day the gully finally overflowed my mother wisely kept us home in the first place.  

Bruce, Penny O.

MBarnum

« Reply #82 on: January 28, 2004, 12:57:51 PM »

One of the old movie theaters in a small town near Salem (Stayton, to be exact) is now showing old classic movies once or twice a month...coming next month...7 BRIDES FOR 7 BROTHERS, THE GRAPES OF WRATH, GREASE. I will definately be going to see the first two films when they play!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #83 on: January 28, 2004, 12:58:07 PM »

Glad you liked the FF/JG story Panni and other DR's.

Panni

« Reply #84 on: January 28, 2004, 12:58:21 PM »

Re the discussion about the running times of shows and the inability of audiences to sit still for very long (bladder problems aside)... I lay some of the blame at the feet of SESAME STREET. Now don't get me wrong, I think that SEASAME STREET has done many fine things for young people. BUT the not so fine thing is that an entire generation now thinks of 15-20 seconds as the norm for the presentation of story or facts. A blip here and we move on, two blips there and on to the next thing. That's what kids see from the time they're old enough to sit up - maybe even before. When we lived in Canada, I made sure that my daughter watched Fred Penner, Sharon, Lois and Bram, The Friendly Giant, Mr. Rogers, of course. Shows that took time...
« Last Edit: January 28, 2004, 01:02:59 PM by Panni »

Panni

« Reply #85 on: January 28, 2004, 12:59:54 PM »

I'm feeling much better, thank you, Jane.

Jed

« Reply #86 on: January 28, 2004, 01:02:28 PM »

I'm not at all sure there's another LIB to be done - I've gone through so much material and I was really stretching on LIBIV.  But, of course there's been quite a few shows since then, all of which have had cut songs - so who knows.

I can't help but be amused that you felt you were "really stretching" by the time you got to LIB IV.  I find that I much prefer LIB III and IV to the first two.  Prefer the songs (particularly love the 3rd set of material) and performances.  Stretching or not, I find the later editions to be wonderful CDs.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #87 on: January 28, 2004, 01:14:48 PM »

Good afternoon all.  A rather boring afternoon this is turning out to be.  Baby fell asleep in the car on the way home, and is now conked out on the couch.  Thank god he's finally learned to sleep on his own, instead of insisted on a human pillow.  So now I am sitting here like so much fish, drinking a latte and contemplating lunch.
My only semi-big news...I'm getting cable tomorrow!  Nothing fancy, just basic digital cable, which will run me about $40 a month, which thankfully fits into the budget.  This will be the first time I've had cable since leaving my parents house, so it's very exciting to me :)
Hmm...no BK questions yet..I'll think about it some more...

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #88 on: January 28, 2004, 01:15:18 PM »

I forgot to mention, Dear Readers, that I had a root canal done this morning.  Isn't that exciting?  Isn't that too too?
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #89 on: January 28, 2004, 01:16:35 PM »

I'm happy about THE LAST OF SHEILA and thrilled about SWEENEY TODD. WOnderful news!

Sometimes Hollywood producers can be so stupid. Liza in the bittersweet story of Mabel Normand (more bitter than sweet, sadly) sounds like it would have been a wonderful idea. I think there is definitely a TV audience out there to see Liza do something big and wonderful on TV. She couldn't draw flies to the movie theater any more, but TV audiences would love her in a big TV movie, I think, if the subject was right and it got the right publicity. I guess they are afraid there would be production problems dealing with Liza, but she's still a big name, especially with Baby Boomers and older. (True, that's not the audience advertisers covet, but the ratings could be huge regardless.)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2004, 01:22:43 PM by Matt H. »
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up