Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: THE WAYWARD WIND  (Read 39264 times)

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
Re:THE WAYWARD WIND
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2007, 06:17:32 AM »

And the word of the day is: GNOMIC!

And The Song Of The Day IS :  CHILDREN WILL LISTEN

Julie

« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2007, 06:22:21 AM »

bk said:
Sadly, it's only the beginning for Virgin Megastores - as I mentioned before, the entire chain is on its way out.  Someone who is pretty in the know told me so and that's when I reported it earlier this year.  I was in Virgin here a few weeks ago and there was literally no one in the store except me and the employees.

I feel that one of the big mistakes they made was separating the brick and mortars from their internet presence.  A few years ago, I disovered that you could not redeem one of their gift cards on line, nor could you learn your balance on line.  You had to make a special trip to the store, and you had to know you were going in advance, and remember to take the gift card with you.  That made them much more difficult to use than amazon.com or especially, Barnes and Nobel, where you could use your gift card in store or on-line.   I think this has caused them a significant loss of business.  

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2007, 06:22:50 AM »

Thursday morning greetings!  Back to work for me today.
Ditto.  Time to head off.   :-\
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Julie

« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2007, 06:23:27 AM »

Gosh, am I the early waker-upper this morning?  I don't know when the last time that happened was.

Time for a nap!

Julie

« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2007, 06:26:51 AM »

Oops - looks like FJL already left the board - perhaps the nap is already under way.

Julie

« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2007, 06:28:07 AM »

Congrats to Danny Binstock for being Peter Filichia's pick for best actor of the year!  Wow!

Ginny

« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2007, 06:29:47 AM »

Technical question:  Why doesn't my new CD of the Sweeney Todd soundtrack play in my car, but plays fine here in my computer?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2007, 06:30:37 AM »

Travel vibes to DR Ron Pulliam - it's been nice to have you here in the Eastern time zone for a while!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2007, 06:31:48 AM »

Recovery vibes to DR TCB - when I had pneumonia, it took 3 (count 'em, 3) successively stronger antibiotics to cure it.  Hang in there and take care of yourself!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #39 on: December 27, 2007, 06:38:21 AM »

I seem to be up rather early, with a Brain-full of book notions.  I've written them down, and maybe I'll be able to go back to sleep for a while.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #40 on: December 27, 2007, 06:39:26 AM »

Still a little windy out (and not very light out), but not as bad as yesterday.

Ginny

« Reply #41 on: December 27, 2007, 06:56:41 AM »

{{{{{DR Elmore}}}}}

There's a package on its way to you!

Julie

« Reply #42 on: December 27, 2007, 07:21:32 AM »

I'm sleeping badly again. I'm also having lots of nightmares and I'd guess there's some underlying anxiety or crisis I need to resolve but i'm not sure what it is.  I've been quite depressed this week about my dad, and maybe that's it. I don't know.

Hugs and love to DR elmore

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #43 on: December 27, 2007, 07:36:35 AM »

Good morning!

Not that cold this morning and a bright sunshiny day here. But we've got rain in the forecast for two of the next three days.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #44 on: December 27, 2007, 07:37:39 AM »

Technical question:  Why doesn't my new CD of the Sweeney Todd soundtrack play in my car, but plays fine here in my computer?

My soundtrack for ANNIE GET YOUR GUN (with Betty Hutton) likewise has trouble in my car CD player but no trouble with any player at home.

Matt H.

« Reply #45 on: December 27, 2007, 07:38:44 AM »

Good wishes for DR Ron Pulliam's westward travels. Come back to the East Coast soon!

Matt H.

« Reply #46 on: December 27, 2007, 07:39:48 AM »

Today I'll be watching ZODIAC - The Director's Cut. It's a two disc set, and I never saw the original DVD release, so the film will be completely new to me. The cast is loaded with actors I like, so I'm looking forward to watching it.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #47 on: December 27, 2007, 07:41:05 AM »

"It's nice you have a hobby that makes you happy."

My all time favorite MTM quote, delivered by Nancy as Mary was 'distressing' an old bureau with a chain.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Matt H.

« Reply #48 on: December 27, 2007, 07:41:16 AM »

That's funny about Paramount splitting up THE MOD SQUAD season. I just got the review copy for SABRINA THE TEENAGE WITCH's third season, and it's the entire season.

Maybe it's the total number of episodes per season that dictates whether they'll break it up or not.

JMK

« Reply #49 on: December 27, 2007, 07:42:39 AM »

Well, we are awaiting the "big storm"--supposedly 7 inches (there ya go, TCB) of snow today.  That of course makes today's Cinderella performances a crapshoot.  Time will tell.

Shocked to read that Benuzir Bhutto was assassinated.  Sometimes I go positively neo-con and wish that whole part of the world didn't exist.  :(

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #50 on: December 27, 2007, 07:43:13 AM »

Decided to put on Dan Fogelberg's first album "Souvenirs" this morning.  Boy, what memories.  Hard to believe I've been alive that long.  ;)

Matt H.

« Reply #51 on: December 27, 2007, 07:44:07 AM »

I'm trying to remember earlier in the year if I saw any plays. I can't think that I have. Of course, a month ago, I saw and greatly enjoyed the national tour of THE DROWSY CHAPARONE, but I can't think of any others I ventured out to see in 2007. I was really busy with the viewing and reviewing from February on, and since we didn't make a trip to NYC this year, that cut down on theater attendance for me, too.

JMK

« Reply #52 on: December 27, 2007, 07:44:20 AM »

That's funny about Paramount splitting up THE MOD SQUAD season. I just got the review copy for SABRINA THE TEENAGE WITCH's third season, and it's the entire season.

Maybe it's the total number of episodes per season that dictates whether they'll break it up or not.

Though it wasn't a Paramount release, I think the vintage show that put the kibosh on complete seasons was Lost in Space (Season 1), which was a disaster.  Right after that the longer (like more than 26 episodes or so) seasons of vintage shows starting getting split into "volumes," including the second and third seasons of LIS itself.

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #53 on: December 27, 2007, 07:46:47 AM »

Hello, all!

I am working my way through all of the wonderful Christmas postings!

I'm still 5 days behind, but wanted to pop in and give a very merry belated Christmas wishes to all.

We had a very exhausting holiday. We had planned to do Christmas dinner here for our family, but as of the 21st, our dining room was still full of boxes that hadn't been upacked. So there was several days of that, then I refinished the floor and we started moving things in.

We also had several visitors staying with us, so we had to make the extra bedroom useable instead of a storage place for more boxes, and buy linens and things.

We also had much debate about a very large piece of furniture, a sideboard, and how we would be able to pick it up from the refinishers in time for xmas dinner. And how we would be able to move the large china cabinet in place. The base was fine, but the top was very heavy with 4 glass doors and there was no way the two of us could move it.

So, in short, the house was a crazy mess until Christmas eve, when we went to the  mountains to visit my father.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2007, 07:59:16 AM by Edisaurus »
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #54 on: December 27, 2007, 07:54:33 AM »

Greg was working so hard on getting the stove installed and dealing with his stuff that I would have felt very guilty sitting at the computer and reading everyone's posts, as much as I'd have liked to.

After getting the wrong instructions from Sears the first time we ran the gas and electrical lines, (when the installers couldn't finish the job) Greg re-ran the gas and electrical lines himself to the specifications (revision D) that Sears didn't give us the first time.

Then we tried to move the stove into position, but the flexible gas line was still not fitting around the gas supply line. I think poor Greg is at his wit's end with this.

We didn't know whether we would have a working stove in time for the dinner, so I bought some yummy side dishes that we could microwave (thank god for Whole Foods!) and the turkey was one that my brother had ordered--a smoked one.

By the 23rd, we decided that we would cook dinner. Even though the stove wasn't in place, it was close enough to get by for a day. I still had a dream about the house catching fire and forgetting to rescue the cats. Anxiety!!!

Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #55 on: December 27, 2007, 07:56:06 AM »

Hugs and love to DR elmore

Thank you, everyone! I'm sure DR Dakotacelt can use some as well: her father's death is more recent than mine and it's still torturing me. Some days are fine and some days I can hardly move from the pain of it.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #56 on: December 27, 2007, 07:56:52 AM »

Today I'll be watching ZODIAC - The Director's Cut. It's a two disc set, and I never saw the original DVD release, so the film will be completely new to me. The cast is loaded with actors I like, so I'm looking forward to watching it.

I really enjoyed the film.  Scared me.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JMK

« Reply #57 on: December 27, 2007, 07:56:53 AM »

Greg was working so hard on getting the stove installed and dealing with his stuff that I would have felt very guilty sitting at the computer and reading everyone's posts, as much as I'd have liked to.

After getting the wrong instructions from Sears the first time we ran the gas and electrical lines, (when the installers couldn't finish the job) Greg re-ran the gas and electrical lines himself to the specifications (revision D) that Sears didn't give us the first time.

Then we tried to move the stove into position, but the flexible gas line was still not fitting around the gas supply line. I think poor Greg is at his wit's end with this.

We didn't know whether we would have a working stove in time for the dinner, so I bought some yummy side dishes that we could microwave (thank god for Whole Foods!) and the turkey was one that my brother had ordered--a smoked one.

By the 23rd, we decided that we would cook dinner. Even though the stove wasn't in place, it was close enough to get by for a day. I still had a dream about the house catching fire and forgetting to rescue the cats. Anxiety!!!

I think we're happier than ever we didn't convert to gas.  ;)

Betsy loves, loves, loves her fancy-schmancy new Kenmore ELECTRIC range.    ;D

MBarnum

« Reply #58 on: December 27, 2007, 07:57:24 AM »

Take care DR Elmore! If it makes you feel any better then feel free to telephone and torment me today. ;)

Matt H.

« Reply #59 on: December 27, 2007, 07:58:09 AM »

Though it wasn't a Paramount release, I think the vintage show that put the kibosh on complete seasons was Lost in Space (Season 1), which was a disaster.  Right after that the longer (like more than 26 episodes or so) seasons of vintage shows starting getting split into "volumes," including the second and third seasons of LIS itself.

That IS the first time I remember that happening, but Fox shot themselves in the foot with their ridiculous overpricing. (They did the same with the first season of THE MARY TYLER MOORE SHOW. Subsequent seasons have been far more reasonably priced.)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15   Go Up