Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]   Go Down

Author Topic: WAXING NOSTALGIC  (Read 36720 times)

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
Re:WAXING NOSTALGIC
« Reply #360 on: January 13, 2008, 09:04:07 PM »

Another new show for TLC: Paul McKenna's I CAN MAKE YOU THIN. I had asked to work on that one, hoping it would somehow rub off and I would lose weight by osmosis, but they have passed it along to a graphics house. And I had already written my promo line: "Do you have the guts---to lose?"

The show is 4 episodes long and Paul guarantees that people will lose weight without dieting, if they follow his 4 simple rules. The show got very high ratings in Britain so they hope to duplicate its success here.

Rule 1.   Don't  eat so much

Rule 2.   Exercise

Rule 3.  Refer to rule 1

Rule 4.  refer to rule 2

I KNOW the rules.. I just have trouble following them!  
« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 09:06:48 PM by vixmom »
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #361 on: January 13, 2008, 09:04:44 PM »

I think MattH is exactly right - I do think the strike will be over by the Oscarcast, but IF it isn't, I do think they'll attempt to postpone.  You must understand, the DGA has entered into its negotiations with the producers, and they are intent on coming to terms as quickly as possible.  They would have done this months ago, but didn't out of respect for the writers.  That's over now - they are tired of this.  The Writer's Guild has done this before and they'll do it again - nothing wrong with it except that when they do settle, it will be for what they could have had a month ago - same as with the stagehands union.  I'm not bashing anyone or pointing fingers, but it's always the way.  The DGA has, I think, in its entire history, struck once (and actually I can't swear to that) and it was for a very short period of time.  I served on the strike committee once for a strike that didn't happen - but everyone in the DGA worked so hard for the strike not to happen and it didn't.  There was no posturing, no bravado, no strutting - just an organization that wanted to get the best it could while keeping their members employed.  IF the DGA comes to terms with the producers very quickly (our last e-mail from them stated they're within spitting distance of doing so on almost every issue), then it's over for the writers and they will settle soon thereafter.  

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #362 on: January 13, 2008, 09:07:07 PM »

But isn't is the WGA that is on strike?  Not the DGA?
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #363 on: January 13, 2008, 09:08:30 PM »

And the last WGA strike lasted 22 weeks.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #364 on: January 13, 2008, 09:09:57 PM »

Or are they both on strike?  or at least with contracts waiting to be negotiated?
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #365 on: January 13, 2008, 09:16:02 PM »

...And that's why I'm a member of the AFM.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

vixmom

« Reply #366 on: January 13, 2008, 09:20:21 PM »

I'm a member of AARP

vixmom

« Reply #367 on: January 13, 2008, 09:21:03 PM »

we don't strike

vixmom

« Reply #368 on: January 13, 2008, 09:21:27 PM »

unless your ball comes into our yard

vixmom

« Reply #369 on: January 13, 2008, 09:22:00 PM »

YOU KIDS GET OFF THE LAWN!!!!

Adriana Patti

• The best is yet to come!
« Reply #370 on: January 13, 2008, 09:22:12 PM »

Last Thursday I went to go see I went to go see a shorts program at the American Cinematheque ( Egyptian Theater) that was a foucus on female directors. I saw 6 different short film, that varied from Mexico to India and were made by film students and stars like Jennifer Aniston. It was very cool.
"If we did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves."
-Thomas Edison

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #371 on: January 13, 2008, 10:02:25 PM »

Well, it's back to work for me tomorrow morning, so...

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #372 on: January 13, 2008, 10:14:23 PM »

Jose - no the DGA is not on strike - that was my point.  Unlike the WGA, they don't wait until the last possible minute to negotiate, they don't posture, they just do what they need to do and it normally results in a contract agreement rather than a strike.  My point was/is if the DGA settles with the producers, that means that a formula for new media will be worked out that's acceptable, and once that happens, the writers will follow suit.   It's happened before, it will happen again.  The writers would rather the DGA did not do this, and, as I said, the DGA, out of respect, held off on doing it for a few months, to see if the writers would settle.  They WANTED to begin their talks last September.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #373 on: January 13, 2008, 10:16:26 PM »

I have watched a horrendously bad TV movie - the DVD title is Ants!, but its original title was It Happened At Lakewood Manor.  It's about an ant invasion and after being inundated with ant imagery of every kind I now am very itchy and need to shower.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #374 on: January 13, 2008, 10:16:55 PM »

Welcome eleven GUESTS.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #375 on: January 13, 2008, 10:17:07 PM »

Will we never get to page fourteen?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #376 on: January 13, 2008, 10:17:28 PM »

I shall return in but a moment.

vixmom

« Reply #377 on: January 13, 2008, 10:34:21 PM »

Well I must get me to bed as tomorrowy is a work day.... oh actually TODAY is a work day as I look at the clock

night (or good morning!)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #378 on: January 13, 2008, 10:39:51 PM »

I have showered, and am now listening to a delightful CD of a favorite childhood LP - had no idea this was out, and wouldn't have even realized it was the same as the LP - different title, art, everything.  But the minute I saw the track list I knew what it was - Ferrante and Teicher's marvelous UA album of B'way faves from around 1960 - I adore it.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #379 on: January 13, 2008, 10:46:51 PM »

I have always loved the sound of two pianos.  One of my great joys was recording the two piano revival of I Do! I Do!

I was once in Joe Allen, sitting at the bar having a steak.  The guy next to me chatted me up - he said that he was going in the studio the next day and he was at a loss as to how to approach the album he was doing.  He introduced himself - Mike Berniker, whose name I recognized instantly from the Cy Coleman cast albums.  He was about to record the two piano version of The Most Happy Fella.  I introduced myself back, and he knew my work.  He asked if I had any ideas (this was long before I Do! I Do!).  I told him I'd recorded a two piano version of The Anastasia Affaire and that I hadn't gotten it right - I simply didn't know enough and couldn't articulate what I felt was wrong.  I said if I ever did another that the two pianos have to become a character in the recording.  

A week later I was talking to Billy Rosenfield who then ran the cast album division of RCA, who'd recorded The Most Happy Fella.  I asked him how it had gone, and told him I'd met Mike the night before the session.  Before I could recount any of that conversation, Billy said, "Mike really did a good job - he came in and said 'I want the two pianos to be a CHARACTER' - isn't that great?"

I told him it WAS great, and then I let him in on the conversation and we had the best laugh about it.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #380 on: January 13, 2008, 10:47:12 PM »

Are we STILL on page thirteen?

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #381 on: January 13, 2008, 11:23:13 PM »

Is there any official word on the SAG Awards yet?

Is anyone you know up for "sagging" honors?
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #382 on: January 13, 2008, 11:43:36 PM »

Saw a TV movie last night called "12:01," or most of it anyway - we started watching  a little late.  It's about a fellow who lives through a day of his life, and then the alarm rings, and the day starts again and he can try to make things right.

Sounds like Groundhog Day, doesn't it?  But the story the film is based on was written long before Groundhog Day, so could it be that the startlingly original premise of Groundhog Day is actually in the public domain, that anyone is free to do a story about someone living a day over and over until they get the day right, as long as they don't use the particulars of the Groundhog Day (or "12:01") characters and plot, just the overall premise?

Maybe that's a question for "free for all" day, if anyone has any thoughts on it:  Is there ever a point where an idea becomes so unique that no one should ever copy it, or are all basic ideas subject to being used by someone else if they can put their own spin on it?

I just happened to come across "12:01," also.  I did a little reading (just a little) and found that "12:01" was based on a short story "12:01 PM" by Richard Lupoff.  According to the IMDb.com board, it was an expansion of a short film on Showtime called "12:01 PM" starring Kurtwood Smith from "That 70s Show."  The short film and the short story had one hour repeat over and over and didn't have happy endings.  The long version, like "Groundhog Day," repeated 24 hours and had a happy ending...meaning the guy got the girl and the day ended.  Also, according to the trivia section of "Groundhog Day":

The idea comes from 'Gay Science', a famous book by Friedrich Nietzsche. In his book, Nietsche gives a description of a man who is living the same day over and over again.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]   Go Up