Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: A DRY AND BORING OPENING  (Read 40062 times)

Ben

Re:A DRY AND BORING OPENING
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2008, 05:25:20 AM »

We are still without computer at Chez Ben and Anthony

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2008, 05:30:58 AM »

Good morning, all!  Today, a trek to Toyland and then back here to finish up things for my accountant. All that's left is the out of town receipts: trains, planes, hotel, and car rentals.

I'm still pondering PERSUASION, and I think I prefer the Amanda Root-Ciaran Hinds version frm the 1990s. I remember laving the theatre and thinking how well done it was, and last night I turned off the tv, thinking "same problem as the Kiera Knightley PRIDE & PREJUDICE; they needed 15 more minutes."  And that said, there were some wonderful things in last night's adaptation, like Anthony Head's Sir Walter and her two snobby sisters.

TOD:  All I can think of this morning is THEM! and TARANTULA.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ben

« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2008, 05:31:27 AM »

We might have had one Sunday morning because the new hard drive arrived from Gateway on Saturday afternoon. Unfortunately, they sent the wrong hard drive. Wrong on two fronts. It was the wrong type of hard drive (we need a PATA not a SATA) and it was too big. No one caught that one. We assumed, since the first tech person we talked to said we could get it, that a 500 gig hard drive would be nice to have. The second techie, even after calling up our system specs (it's an older computer from 2003) said Sure, you can use that. When the hard drive came and we opened it to begin installation we noticed a problem. We called tech support and the third tech person said, yes, you have been sent the wrong hard drive and no, because of your computers specs (including the bios) your system can't support a 500 gig hard drive. So, we still don't have the new hard drive and we have to return the old hard drive. I read my e-mail this morning so I could get the instructions on returning the hard drive. The memory we ordered should be here today and the man at Gateway said the new 250 gig hard drive should be here by Tuesday or Wednesday so if we're lucky we might have a running computer by Thursday or Friday!

Ben

« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2008, 05:31:59 AM »

I'm going to the theatre tomorrow and Wednesday so we won't be doing any computer work even if the parts arrive today and tomorrow.

Ben

« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2008, 05:32:30 AM »

Tomorrow is the newly discovered Mark Twain play, Is He Dead? starring the wonderful Norbert Leo Butz.

Ben

« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2008, 05:35:19 AM »

Wednesday is the Roundabout Theatre's production of The 39 Steps. It opens Tuesday but I haven't heard anything about it, good or bad.

Ben

« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2008, 05:36:43 AM »

Lar, Anthony watched Persuasion. I don't know what he thought because I was asleep by the time it was over. I will ask him at lunch.

He watched the last two weeks (was it Pride and Prejudice last week) and really liked it. He will be watching the other adaptations as well.

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2008, 05:56:35 AM »

And the word of the day is: DINGLE!

I took my mom to the Dingle peninsula in Ireland a few years ago. So beautiful!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2008, 06:01:24 AM »

DR Singingnymph:  You are a Goddess now!  CONGRATULATIONS!  Sorry to have missed your ascension! I'm sure it was accompanied by a heavenly choir!

Ditto, and congratulations, DR SingSing, on your impressively large, round millstone!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

singdaw

« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2008, 06:03:02 AM »

your impressively large, round millstone!

Thanks, DR Edisaurus.  I'd like to work on whittling that down a little!   ;)   But eating these Hershey's Peanut Butter Kisses is probably not helping any.  :P

It's great to see you 'round here again!  :)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 06:04:22 AM by singdaw »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2008, 06:03:15 AM »

Lar, Anthony watched Persuasion. I don't know what he thought because I was asleep by the time it was over. I will ask him at lunch.

He watched the last two weeks (was it Pride and Prejudice last week) and really liked it. He will be watching the other adaptations as well.

DR Ben, I believe P&P isn't showing till February. Last night was the first of the Austen series.  Afte the glorious BLEAK HOUSE, I expected the BBC would do better by Miss Austen on PERSUASION. A major part of the reason that I long for a bit more liesurely pace is that much of her wit, along with her sympathies, comes from that tension of being in a society ruled by etiquette wherein the most god-awful insults and putdowns are committed under the guise of polite conversation and her observation that most snobs are fools, inferior to the folk they look down on. Her heroines are usually the victims of such behavior - well, Emma's an exception - and her romantic gentlemen are never snobs, if noblemen, and always intelligent enough to eventually see things accurately.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Edisaurus

« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2008, 06:03:27 AM »

T.O.D.

THEM

That scared me to death when I was a kid!

"Them!"  "Them!"

Edisaurus

« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2008, 06:06:21 AM »

Thanks, DR Edisaurus.  I'd like to work on whittling that down a little!   ;)   But eating these Hershey's Peanut Butter Kisses is probably not helping any.  :P

It's great to see you 'round here again!  :)

Awwww...thanks! It's good to be back! I have a reprieve today while the techincal problems that gave me the day off get worked out. The later I start though, the later I finish...probably after midnight.

singdaw

« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2008, 06:06:28 AM »

Thanks for the weather report, DR dB!  Like DR Ben, I am wondering what happened to the 8+ inches of snow that were predicted.

Kerry

« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2008, 06:06:48 AM »

TOD--- definitely "Them!" a clasic if there ever was one!
I like boat races.

Edisaurus

« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2008, 06:07:31 AM »

Good morning, DR Rally Moole!

singdaw

« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2008, 06:08:14 AM »

...probably after midnight

:(

OK, everyone...

A rousing chorus of Round Midnight...

singdaw

« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2008, 06:09:48 AM »

I learry rike that gleat guy Rally Moole!  :)

Edisaurus

« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2008, 06:19:40 AM »

Evelyone, larry alound Rally!

Edisaurus

« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2008, 06:21:07 AM »

I missed DR Ben, but I hope that he and Ant don't take their Christmas tree down until after I get to see it!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #50 on: January 14, 2008, 06:26:37 AM »

I learry rike that gleat guy Rally Moole!  :)

Thank you, DRs singdaw and edisaurus!  That was one of my more peculiar recording sessions.

I had weird dreams again last night: one about The Brain From Planet X and beng in college - was it the same one in which my underwear was on backward? - and several others.

singdaw

« Reply #51 on: January 14, 2008, 06:29:12 AM »

was it the same one in which my underwear was on backward?

Well, at least you weren't going "commando"!   :)

Edisaurus

« Reply #52 on: January 14, 2008, 06:29:18 AM »

The talk the other day about Milhaud---one of my favorite composers--reminded me that I never ordered that two piano/4 hands version of le Boeuf sur le toit. bk might like that, too, if he is a fan of Milhaud and 2 pianos.

singdaw

« Reply #53 on: January 14, 2008, 06:30:03 AM »

Can't wait to see DR Edisaurus and her ever-lovin' DH Greg! :)  :)

Edisaurus

« Reply #54 on: January 14, 2008, 06:42:01 AM »

Can't wait to see DR Edisaurus and her ever-lovin' DH Greg! :)  :)

DITTO!
DITTO!
DITTO!

singdaw

« Reply #55 on: January 14, 2008, 06:44:47 AM »

Senator Larry Craig's latest staff meeting:

Edisaurus

« Reply #56 on: January 14, 2008, 06:44:49 AM »

Well, at least you weren't going "commando"!   :)

At our group meeting for our neighborhood website, we talked about whether our animals wore collars with ID. I said than mine were all indoor cats so they always went commando. Everyone looked at me like I was insane---I don't think they knew what I was talking about!

singdaw

« Reply #57 on: January 14, 2008, 06:47:34 AM »

Everyone looked at me like I was insane---

Umm...

There could be another explanation...

;)

Edisaurus

« Reply #58 on: January 14, 2008, 06:48:54 AM »

Umm...

There could be another explanation...

;)

Well, yes... there IS that!

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #59 on: January 14, 2008, 06:52:44 AM »

Good morning, fellow Dear Readers. In an hour another Window Man is coming to measure again.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12   Go Up