Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down

Author Topic: THE JOGGING JEW  (Read 23082 times)

Tomovoz

Re:THE JOGGING JEW
« Reply #210 on: January 30, 2004, 09:23:24 PM »

The post prozac version  "Once Were Worriers" is good too.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #211 on: January 30, 2004, 09:32:24 PM »

The other day I received in the mail a box filled with photos, postcards, letters. etc which belonged to my recently deceased cousin. She was ninety when she died - a first cousin once removed, I think. (She and my mother were first cousins.) Anyway, looking through this box was and continues to be quite an experience on many levels.
...Sorry... I realize now that I'm too tired to write about it tonight, but rather than just delete all of the above, I'll leave it and will write more another time.

Tomovoz

« Reply #212 on: January 30, 2004, 09:32:30 PM »

After the memory jog at HHW I cleaned out my cache and then forgot my password when I tried to log back on here.  Kept trying and eventually remembered - these senior's moments have a lot to answer for.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #213 on: January 30, 2004, 09:34:40 PM »

Back from a delightful supper and conversation adventure with PennyO.  Grand fun.

I, too, grew up devouring the synopses on the back of albums.  And knowing those synopses never stopped me from enjoying a show, plus they were never that detailed, so the entire evening of seeing a show for the first time was a total surprise.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2004, 09:50:35 PM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #214 on: January 30, 2004, 09:34:59 PM »

And what a delightful number of postings to come home to.

Tomovoz

« Reply #215 on: January 30, 2004, 09:36:50 PM »

DR Panni: Re photographs and memories (I know - a Jim Croce reference), have you caught up with the (to me) fascinating scripts and films of Stephen Poliakof - "Shooting The Past" and "Perfect Strangers" ?-They are both wonderful viewing. (Made for TV but now available (BBC) on DVD).
James Thurber 1957

td

• td
« Reply #216 on: January 30, 2004, 09:38:19 PM »

Yet another reason for seeing WHALE RIDER:

Cliff Curtis!
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Panni

« Reply #217 on: January 30, 2004, 09:38:53 PM »

I have the news on in the background. Just heard that there are 37,000 serving in the US military who aren't American citizens!

Tomovoz

« Reply #218 on: January 30, 2004, 09:42:37 PM »

Perhaps they are serving the tea and cookies. (nearly wrote biscuits). I thought of another comment but there may still be children out there. Are you sure the broadcast didn't say "serving the military"?
James Thurber 1957

Panni

« Reply #219 on: January 30, 2004, 09:42:41 PM »

have you caught up with the (to me) fascinating scripts and films of Stephen Poliakof - "Shooting The Past" and "Perfect Strangers" ?-They are both wonderful viewing. (Made for TV but now available (BBC) on DVD).
I've never seen them. Thanks for the recommendation, Tomovoz, I'll look them up.

Panni

« Reply #220 on: January 30, 2004, 09:46:16 PM »

Back from a delightful supper and converastion adventure with PennyO.  

Wish I could've been a fly on the wall (Pogue reference) to witness the "converasting."

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #221 on: January 30, 2004, 09:49:14 PM »

But, oh, this word "elitist" --- Who's being elitist?  Schwartz and Holtzman for not including a synopsis?  For opening their show in San Francisco and then New York and not Pittsburgh?
The "elitistism" that both DR TD and I have referred to is an attitude that many of us find coming from some citizens of NYC, namely that what happens in that city is automatically important to everyone, and what happens elsewhere is of lesser importance.  New York has the "best" theater, the "best" restaurants, the "best" of everything...

But does it really?  

This placing of NYC on the pedistal is demeaning to those of us who do not live there, because it implys that the rest of us are not as worthy.  Even the name, "New York," is taken to mean the city, not the state, the residents of Albany, Syracuse, Buffalo et al being also-rans.  

This can stretch even to how news stories are reported.  Take, for instance, the blackout earlier this year.  Much of the Eastern seaboard was affected, and into the nation's heartland.  Power outages ran for weeks in some areas.  But the only reporting that took place reflected what was happening in NYC.  Once that single city got it's power back, the rest of the nation was left dangling, fending for itself the best it could.  The crisis that "mattered" was over, on to the next story.  And the people that weren't in NYC were implicitly told that they didn't matter as much.

But let's examine this a little more closely.  The power shortage didn't start in NYC; NYC was really just one player in the entire scheme of things.  So the story that really mattered, the one that got ignored, was the one about how the entire power grid fell down in the first place, and how the people who were not in NYC went about repairing the problem.

This is what those of us outside that single city face constantly.  

Further aggravating this is what so many of the rest of us know but New Yorkers seem to ignore: almost everything in New York City is imported, and little is created within the city itself.  Food, for instance.  If NYC were, for some reason, cut off from the rest of the world, people would be starving to death within a week or two.  The city does not create it's own food, it has to be brought in.  

Cutting this back to something less drastic, let's consider cuisine.  Go to any restaurant guide for NYC, and you'll find French restaurants, Italian restaurants, Chinese restaurants, almost any nation in the world restaurants, even American restaurants with all of it's permutations like Southern and Tex-Mex.  There are no listings for "New York" food.  Delis, you suggest?  Still no dice.  I've been to Zabars, and the roots of that food are found in Eastern Europe.  It's an import.

So, if everything in New York City is imported, why should the rest of us wait until we get to NYC to sample these things?  Why not, instead, go directly to the source, and sample them in their pure form?  The reason is because NYC, for a very long time, insisted that IT was the source and not just a clearing-house.  THAT was (and is) the elitist attitude, and for a very long time everyone fell for that story.  

But that's not selling the way it used to.  We've become aware of the "man behind the curtain," and his humbuggery is fooling us less and less.

So, why should we go to New York City?

There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #222 on: January 30, 2004, 09:51:38 PM »

Panni, I have no idea what you are talking about re "converasting".

td

• td
« Reply #223 on: January 30, 2004, 09:53:42 PM »

You were supposed to converast a personalized "td' hello to DR PennyO whilst you were supping.

Tomovoz

« Reply #224 on: January 30, 2004, 09:54:05 PM »

The wonders of the modify button.
James Thurber 1957

Panni

« Reply #225 on: January 30, 2004, 09:59:53 PM »

Jay - I read a review of Latter Days somewhere today (LA Times?) and was interested in the fact that the writer-director is a former Mormon (a Formon?). I'm going to see the film when (if ever) I have the time. I have a very good friend who is a devout Mormon - born Jewish, a brilliant woman, very open-minded and liberal, has a home that's open to anyone in need... and, as I said, a devout Mormon. Knowing her and her family has really made me examine many of my attitudes about groups that we automatically label one thing or the other without closer examination. I'm not saying that I understand or agree with Mormon beliefs, but I also can no longer just issue a blanket condemnation.

Panni

« Reply #226 on: January 30, 2004, 10:03:14 PM »

Panni, I have no idea what you are talking about re "converasting".

Good attempt at gaslighting, bk, but the PROOF is in the QUOTE in my post. No matter what you say I am not INSANE. Now get out of my soup.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #227 on: January 30, 2004, 10:11:19 PM »

The proof is in the pudding, my dear woman.  

td

• td
« Reply #228 on: January 30, 2004, 10:12:31 PM »

Did you have pudding with PennyO?

Panni

« Reply #229 on: January 30, 2004, 10:15:39 PM »

Get out of my pudding, too.

Andrea

« Reply #230 on: January 30, 2004, 10:15:48 PM »

I have the news on in the background. Just heard that there are 37,000 serving in the US military who aren't American citizens!

And surprisingly 37, 000 less in the Canadian army:)

Question: What's the cheapest way to fly to florence?

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #231 on: January 30, 2004, 10:20:22 PM »

Take a plane.
...Walk in the sunshine...

Tomovoz

« Reply #232 on: January 30, 2004, 10:22:26 PM »

Make Florence pay. Just make sure you get a "Room With A View".
James Thurber 1957

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #233 on: January 30, 2004, 10:26:03 PM »

What you are implying is that seeing the show is the only way to enjoy it.  Balderdash

I made no such implication...

Cast albums can be enjoyed.  I've never heard the cast album for Wicked/b] and have made no comment on the experience of listening to it.

I have every reason to assume that listening to the Wicked CD is very enjoyable.  Some great voices there, and some effective songs.

When the subject of the Wicked synopsis came up, I had no idea so many DRs were having difficulty enjoying it without the synopsis to read.  The thought never occurred to me.  I stand corrected.

I've recently seen Wicked where it's currently playing, Broadway.  The show had a long run earlier last year in San Francisco.  One of the things I enjoyed about it were some surprising plot twists towards the end of the show.  I'm only speaking for myself when I say my experience of the show would have been substantially diminished had I known in advance.

So, (helpfully, I thought) I suggested DRs think twice about looking at a synopsis before seeing the show.

For this I am called elitist?
For this I am treated to a huge lecture about how New York doesn't cook it's own food?
For this I am guilty of putting my home town on some sort of a pedestal?
And guilty of ignoring the rest of the state?

Come on, guys, I was trying to help you enjoy a musical, for crissakes, one I hope you'll all see sooner or later.  I said again and again you could do what you want.

For 9 years I lived with a guy who shared my love of musicals.  One day I referred to the "stinger" moment of recognition in Sweeney Todd's second act.  He gave me the angriest look.  I'd never seen such a look on this incredibly affable guy.  He'd not seen Sweeney Todd and I'd ruined the big surprise for him.

But you have the album, I stammered,  You play it all the time.

Only the first act, he answered.  I felt terrible.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #234 on: January 30, 2004, 10:27:30 PM »

Did you have pudding with PennyO?

Hi, there. Home again. Nope, no puddings were had by the carb-deprived. But great converasting. We were stumped by the dearth of great actresses of 50 or so, to play Minnie Kritzer... Barbara Streisand? nope, won't behave. But Tracy Ullman would be great. Or Judy Holliday. Oh, we bandied names about. Who else is out there, waiting for the Oscar-winning role of Minnie???
PennyO

Tomovoz

« Reply #235 on: January 30, 2004, 10:27:51 PM »

I've just noticed that PennyO is here. Now we have the truth about the pudding. I just had change the tense of the last statement. Once again the wonders of "modify".
perhaps there was no pudding has there was not enough time to "prove" the pudding dough. I suspect that term is somewhat archaic but it is whence the "proof is in the pudding" saying is derived.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2004, 10:31:26 PM by Tomovoz »
James Thurber 1957

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #236 on: January 30, 2004, 10:36:36 PM »

Hey, I plan to see Wicked next month when I'm in NYC. And - just for the record - I do believe that New Yawk, New Yawk is the absolute center of my UNIVERSE. This is not to say that my own hometown isn't wonderful, or my forest retreat isn't a perfect haven, or that On The Road doesn't have its own special charm. But they's noplace on earth that affects me like Mecca. Irresistable to me.
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #237 on: January 30, 2004, 10:40:20 PM »

I'm so sleepy, after all that friggin salad we ate at a perfectly lovely little jernt. Headin' for bed, kids. Happy dreams. Nitey-nite, Bruce dear. (smooch!)
PennyO

Panni

« Reply #238 on: January 30, 2004, 11:00:35 PM »

No more converasting tonight. I'm going to sign off. Eyes tired. Good-night, all

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #239 on: January 30, 2004, 11:26:24 PM »

Bruce, caught Cowboy U tonight (and we have stayed strangely glued to the damned station the rest of the night...watching profiles on country stars Tim McGraw and Faith Hill).  Next week looks like the final round-up contest...I assume that is the other episode you did.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up